PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Season

d'Bwobsling
2008-07-30, 09:20 AM
So the baseball seasons allready halfway through, with plenty of teams close to tied for first place in there division
In the AL East, Boston, New York, and Tampa Bay all have a shot; in the Central, Chicago, and Minnesota are neck and neck, with Detroit trailing; and in the West it looks like Los Angeles has allready clinched it.
In the NL East, New York, Phillidelphia, and Florida are very close; in the Central, Chicago, St. Louis, and Milwaukee all stand a chance; and in the West, Arizona and Los Angeles have just climbed above 500, and both could easily make it.

Vaire
2008-07-30, 09:30 AM
I'm still waiting for the Cubs to choke. I know, I know, it is in the realm of possibility for them to make it to the playoffs, heck, maybe even the series. But I have trouble believing that it could have happen, probably from a lifetime of conditioning.

It would be wonderful to see an all Chicago series though. Especially if the Sox won. That would really shut up those North-siders.

(to anyone without a sense of humor, I'm just kidding. I don't hate all Cubs fans.) (just most of them) :smallbiggrin:

d'Bwobsling
2008-07-30, 09:41 AM
I'm still waiting for the Cubs to choke. I know, I know, it is in the realm of possibility for them to make it to the playoffs, heck, maybe even the series. But I have trouble believing that it could have happen, probably from a lifetime of conditioning.

It would be wonderful to see an all Chicago series though. Especially if the Sox won. That would really shut up those North-siders.

(to anyone without a sense of humor, I'm just kidding. I don't hate all Cubs fans.) (just most of them) :smallbiggrin:

Being a Red Sox fan before the 04 season, I can sympathize with the Cubs fans. Its been over 100 years since they won it

Vaire
2008-07-30, 09:49 AM
Being a Red Sox fan before the 04 season, I can sympathize with the Cubs fans. Its been over 100 years since they won it

I can sympathize with them until they start calling me names for being a Sox fan.

Crow
2008-08-01, 12:35 AM
Try being a Padre fan this season. No real prospects, no real talent to trade for prospects (and now the deadline's passed), and ownership who won't spend money in free agency.

We've had bad seasons, but this one has been particularly painful.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-01, 12:40 AM
Another big Sox Fan here.

Oh... my sweet lord...

THEY JUST TRADED MANNY!~!~!~!

Please Excuse me...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Okay I think I'm good for now. :smalleek:

Vaire
2008-08-01, 09:39 AM
I feel for you about Manny, but he wasn't really playing up to par anyway. Kinda seemed like a bad attitude problem.

We just got Ken Griffey Jr. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it's Griffey. On the other hand, we really don't need another sorta outfielder who hits home runs.

That being said, at least we didn't give away anyone awesome for him.

Telonius
2008-08-01, 09:57 AM
Sigh. Well, it looks like my team won't have the worst record ever, though they looked like they had a shot at it. Go Nats. :smallfrown:

Crow
2008-08-01, 06:29 PM
I feel for you about Manny, but he wasn't really playing up to par anyway. Kinda seemed like a bad attitude problem.

We just got Ken Griffey Jr. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it's Griffey. On the other hand, we really don't need another sorta outfielder who hits home runs.

That being said, at least we didn't give away anyone awesome for him.

I'm still trying to figure out where you're going to play Griffey. He is too old/slow to be a center fielder, and is not even good in the corners where he's at now. You already have Thome at DH, and Quentin with Dye playing corner outfield. Thome or Griffey will need to play 1B or 3B. You could put grif in center, but yikes, your pitchers won't be happy about that.

d'Bwobsling
2008-08-01, 06:50 PM
Another big Sox Fan here.

Oh... my sweet lord...

THEY JUST TRADED MANNY!~!~!~!

Please Excuse me...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Okay I think I'm good for now. :smalleek:

Yeah, but by the time the sox got rid of him he obviously didn't want to play there anymore (aperently winning two world series wasn't good enough for him) I say good riddance

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-08-01, 08:21 PM
Yeah, but by the time the sox got rid of him he obviously didn't want to play there anymore (aperently winning two world series wasn't good enough for him) I say good riddance
Yeah, but this is Manny we're talking about! He'll have forgotten about this by next week! I mean, has anyone ever been able to prove he knows what day it is?

Indurain
2008-08-01, 08:31 PM
Yeah, but this is Manny we're talking about! He'll have forgotten about this by next week! I mean, has anyone ever been able to prove he knows what day it is?

Only Manny knows.

Personally, I've always enjoyed Manny antics, probably because anything that distracts Boston is good for my Blue Jays. (Yeah, yeah...I know).

Vaire
2008-08-02, 09:49 AM
I'm still trying to figure out where you're going to play Griffey. He is too old/slow to be a center fielder, and is not even good in the corners where he's at now. You already have Thome at DH, and Quentin with Dye playing corner outfield. Thome or Griffey will need to play 1B or 3B. You could put grif in center, but yikes, your pitchers won't be happy about that.

There's no way they're putting Griffey at 1st. And I think Dye has more than proved himself in the outfield this year, although everytime he dives I wince. I really don't want him hurt. They're probably just rotate him in the outfield for the players they want to give a rest, and stick him in DH if Thome is unavailable that day. Once Crede's off the DL, third won't be a question anymore. And I wouldn't put Griffey there anyway. That's what Uribe is for.

I'll wait and see. He didn't do badly last night, but the White Sox team is not about individual stars. That's not how Ozzie runs things. He worries more about pitching.

d'Bwobsling
2008-08-02, 11:34 AM
Well Jason Bay seems to be taking Manny's spot. he's played one game in a Sox uninform and he's allready scored two runs and made a diving catch that if he missed, would of won the game for the A's last night

Zeta Kai
2008-08-02, 10:49 PM
If anyone's interested, I made a Baseball D20 (see signature). I hope you like it.

d'Bwobsling
2008-08-03, 01:40 PM
Predictions for the playoffs:
In the AL east, Tampa Bay will win the prize with Boston scraping the wild card; in the central Minnesota will just pull ahead of Chicago; and as for the west, Los Angeles will have no problem making it, and will probably clinch the playoffs first.
In the NL, Florida has a good chance of catching up with Philidelphia, but whoever wins will probably be a game or two ahead of the other; in the central Chicago will most likely take the title out of reach of Milwaukee, and in the west, I'd say there's a good chance that Los Angeles will pull ahead of Arizona by the end of the year. As for the NL wild card, ST Louis stands a good chance, but it's too close to tell

hobbes543
2008-08-04, 08:30 PM
As a Red Sox fan, the Manny trade was needed. Did they get the best deal for him... No... But he needed to go. He was detrimental in the clubhouse, and there were insider reports that The GM spoke with veterin players and they told him Manny needed to go.

Jason Bay has been good so far, and the sox have seemed more like a team now that Manny is gone... Over all I am happy about the trade.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-04, 08:56 PM
Fair enough, but Manny did give strength to their lineup, and complimented Ortiz very well (in general)... But yea, Jason Bay has big shoes to fill :smalleek:, and I hope he can fill 'em...

d'Bwobsling
2008-08-05, 09:22 AM
Fair enough, but Manny did give strength to their lineup, and complimented Ortiz very well (in general)... But yea, Jason Bay has big shoes to fill :smalleek:, and I hope he can fill 'em...

He's been doing a good job at it so far

AKA_Bait
2008-08-05, 09:33 AM

I don't... but then I'm a Yankee fan. ::ducks::

Honestly though, from what I heard it wasn't just the fact that Manny's contract is up and that he has annual issues with managment. The veteran players on the team apparently went to managment and asked for Manny to get dealt. I can't say I blame them either. Papi found himself fielding questions about Manny's absence during his own All-Star interview session. That's gotta be annoying.

It should be interesting. Bay's not the offensive monster that Manny is capable of being, but hes a solid bat and should give Ortiz a reasonable amount of protection. Frankly, as a Yankee fan, I wish ya'll had traded Manny for prospects...

d'Bwobsling
2008-08-05, 04:45 PM
It should be interesting. Bay's not the offensive monster that Manny is capable of being, but hes a solid bat and should give Ortiz a reasonable amount of protection.
He's been doing great in left field though...

AKA_Bait
2008-08-06, 10:40 AM
He's been doing great in left field though...

Well he is a very good player. I'm just saying that offensivley he's not Manny. Mannys a hall of famer. Bay is just very very good.

An Enemy Spy
2008-08-06, 08:28 PM
I'm not a baseball fan but I just wish that the Mariners would make it into the playoffs again. (sob)

Vaire
2008-08-08, 08:59 AM
Well he is a very good player. I'm just saying that offensivley he's not Manny. Mannys a hall of famer. Bay is just very very good.

Honestly? I'd rather have a very good team player than a hall of famer. Especially one with Manny's attitude. I don't like that attitude. I don't want to see strutting. I want to see someone do their job.

AKA_Bait
2008-08-08, 09:07 AM
Honestly? I'd rather have a very good team player than a hall of famer. Especially one with Manny's attitude. I don't like that attitude. I don't want to see strutting. I want to see someone do their job.

Me too, if I was a Red Sox fan. Being a Yankee fan, that's why I'd rather you traded for prospects.

Also, as a general thing for making the playoffs this year, were I a Red Sox fan, I might still rather have Manny, disruptive and all. He did give Ortiz protection that Bay can't. However, for any time after this particular pennant race, I'd much rather have Bay.