View Full Version : V's magic book

Linkavitch
2008-07-30, 09:38 AM
Anyone remember the book V was writing words of power in when they were in Azure City? Also, any ideas why the paladin spellcasters were so adamant that he leave seven pages blank after writing a one-word seventh-level spell? (Sorry if this has already come up, I didn't want to go back that far in the comic.)

Morty
2008-07-30, 09:41 AM
It wasn't about "paladin spellcasters" being adamant, it was a joke about spell learning rules in D&D and spells taking up several pages in spellbooks- one page per spell level, even if the spell in question is by definition a single word.

Haleyintraining
2008-07-30, 09:42 AM
It was a joke. It took seven pages because it was a seventh level spell, because it was a joke.

Oooh, ninja'd.

factotum
2008-07-30, 11:21 AM
As for the book, that's V's spellbook--nothing particularly special about it except it now has more spells in it than it had before.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-07-30, 01:47 PM
It wasn't about "paladin spellcasters" being adamant, it was a joke about spell learning rules in D&D and spells taking up several pages in spellbooks- one page per spell level, even if the spell in question is by definition a single word.
Of course, if the instructions to prepare a spell were just a list of the verbal, somatic, and material components, I don't think we'd be stuck with the Vancian spellcasting and V would have very little ground to complain about how hard it is to master magic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0126.html). There's more to a Power Word than just it's verbal component.

Morty
2008-07-30, 01:59 PM
Of course, if the instructions to prepare a spell were just a list of the verbal, somatic, and material components, I don't think we'd be stuck with the Vancian spellcasting and V would have very little ground to complain about how hard it is to master magic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0126.html). There's more to a Power Word than just it's verbal component.

I know all of this, and I'm one of those people who actually like Vancian casting and think it makes sense. But that's one of the instances where rules are lifted for the purpose of a joke. One of the better jokes in the comic, I'd say.

Jade_Tarem
2008-07-30, 02:10 PM
I feel compelled to point out that V almost certainly has more than one spellbook by now, or else has transferred all of his or her spells to a Boccob's Blessed Book (that's a super-spellbook that has 1,000 pages, does not require special materials to write spells in, and only requires one page per spell regardless of level, for those non-dnd players). It was stated earlier that V only had one page left, and Vaarsuvius's Enhanced Scrying is almost certainly not a 1st level spell.

Lira
2008-07-30, 02:17 PM
I feel compelled to point out that V almost certainly has more than one spellbook by now, or else has transferred all of his or her spells to a Boccob's Blessed Book (that's a super-spellbook that has 1,000 pages, does not require special materials to write spells in, and only requires one page per spell regardless of level, for those non-dnd players). It was stated earlier that V only had one page left, and Vaarsuvius's Enhanced Scrying is almost certainly not a 1st level spell.Yes, V definitely has multiple spellbooks.

:vaarsuvius:: I seem to have misplaced it among my many scrolls and spellbooks. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0173.html)