PDA

View Full Version : Rember

Myshlaevsky
2008-07-30, 01:20 PM
Well, this is interesting. It's a new drug that can supposedly suspend the onset of Alzheimer's disease - but it's particularly hard to find information on just now.

It's been developed by the University of Aberdeen, and has met with good results in a 5-year clinical trial. I think they said it was an 81% success rate. Although it apparently cannot change what has already happpened, there may or may not be a placebo effect even in this situation - some people have certainly reported an improvement. I do not see how it could actually do this.

Currently pretty difficult to find out about, but apparently an active ingredient is methylthioninium chloride and it inhibits Tau protein aggression. The news report as literally today - check out the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7525115.stm). So... good news, right? Especially for Pratchett :P. If it can get on the market soon enough, and actually works.

Moff Chumley
2008-07-30, 04:55 PM
Yes, that is good news. (Dude, you would get about ten times more responses if you put some actual mention of the threads subject in the title. :smalltongue:)

Tom_Violence
2008-07-30, 05:15 PM
I came here intending to tell you how to spell 'remember' (:smalltongue:), but instead found this! Good news indeed, especially since my family has a history of said disease. Its also good to hear that finally something good has come out of Aberdeen, chortle chortle.

Myshlaevsky
2008-07-30, 08:02 PM
Yes, that is good news. (Dude, you would get about ten times more responses if you put some actual mention of the threads subject in the title. :smalltongue:)

Hey, the thread's subject is the drug! :smalltongue: I think you're probably right, but I'm not too keen on going back and editing Alzheimer's Disease into the title. The name of the medication will have to suffice.

I came here intending to tell you how to spell 'remember' (), but instead found this! Good news indeed, especially since my family has a history of said disease. Its also good to hear that finally something good has come out of Aberdeen, chortle chortle.

Same here actually. I imagine this'll do wonders for their university rankings - I remember them lacking a little when it came to chemistry/biology. Well, compared to Dundee or Edinburgh.