PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars:Clone Wars clip

Talkkno
2008-07-30, 03:38 PM
It's from one of the battles in the upcoming movie.
http://www.starwars.com/video/view/0000/0025

CrazedGoblin
2008-07-30, 05:11 PM
less chat more splat in a starwars film is good in my opinion

Muz
2008-07-30, 05:57 PM
Less talkin', more Skywalkin'? :smallwink:

Has anyoen heard if they're going to be replaying the first four episodes that make up this movie when the TV show airs? I'm curious to see it, but not pay-for-a-theater-ticket curious.

CrazedGoblin
2008-07-30, 06:39 PM
hehe smooth, although the less the less skywalker the better, he annoys me all the IM SO HAPPY, IM SO SAAAADD ANGER GRRRRR POWERRRR, prefer other characters to him anyday but id watch it if it came into cinemas or TV

Verruckt
2008-07-30, 07:12 PM
All this really did was remind me of my loathing for "movie tactics".
Clone Trooper:
"General Kenobi, the droids are marching into an obvious choke point straight into the fire of our artillery, we have defensive positions and cover, what do you suggest?"
Obi-Wan:
"We break ranks and CHARGE"
Clone Trooper:
"It's Jedi like you that make me wish the order still had Revan"
Obi-Wan:
"What did you say?"
Clone Trooper:
"Oh! Nothing sir, I'll go tell the troops to engage the droids in hand to hand immediately sir! I in no way object to negating the advantage of our stupidly big rifles and our cover! In fact, I will loosen the seals on my helmet so that it will pop right off should I get shot in the face, Sir!"
Obi-Wan:
"Oh, excellent then, tally ho lads, I learned this highly successful maneuver from historical texts battles in the 1800s, we'll be fine!"

Talkkno
2008-07-30, 11:00 PM
Clone Trooper:
"General Kenobi, the droids are marching into an obvious choke point straight into the fire of our artillery, we have defensive positions and cover, what do you suggest?"
Obi-Wan:
Clone Trooper:
Obi-Wan:
"What did you say?"
Clone Trooper:
"Oh! Nothing sir, I'll go tell the troops to engage the droids in hand to hand immediately sir! I in no way object to negating the advantage of our stupidly big rifles and our cover! In fact, I will loosen the seals on my helmet so that it will pop right off should I get shot in the face, Sir!"
Obi-Wan:
"Oh, excellent then, tally ho lads, I learned this highly successful maneuver from historical texts battles in the 1800s, we'll be fine!"

Taken from spacebattles
"Maybe it's just me, but the charge didn't bug me the same way it did some people here. The CIS forces clearly had superiority in numbers, armored assets and overall firepower and were facing their opponents in a very linear environment. All the tanks really need to do is get one lucky shot at the artillery and it's game over. The response makes sense, for gods sake, the Vietnamese under Giap used this *exact* strategy to great effect to try to comphensate for American air superiority and artilery, which is to get close enough where it doesn't matter. Once the clones are in the enemy lines, that firepower advantage is meaningless and the overall superiority of the clone trooper over your common B-1 battledroid comes into play. The chaos in the ranks of the infantry and forward armor elements means that now that artilery is free to retarget the tanks farther back, thus breaking up any possibility of an armored thrust. If you keep the artilery targeted at front, it means that you have less margin for error. Even if the entire attack failed, it's still caused enough attack and allow you to cause enough damage to the enemy armored forces that the artilery could likely break up any further attacks.

In short, whilst it might not be called particularly careful of it's troops lived and there is no doubt that Anakin screwed around when he should have done what he did much sooner and much quicker, it fits with the overall Clone trooper mentality of warfare: Do or die."

Verruckt
2008-07-30, 11:32 PM
Taken from spacebattles
"Maybe it's just me, but the charge didn't bug me the same way it did some people here. The CIS forces clearly had superiority in numbers, armored assets and overall firepower and were facing their opponents in a very linear environment. All the tanks really need to do is get one lucky shot at the artillery and it's game over. The response makes sense, for gods sake, the Vietnamese under Giap used this *exact* strategy to great effect to try to comphensate for American air superiority and artilery, which is to get close enough where it doesn't matter. Once the clones are in the enemy lines, that firepower advantage is meaningless and the overall superiority of the clone trooper over your common B-1 battledroid comes into play. The chaos in the ranks of the infantry and forward armor elements means that now that artilery is free to retarget the tanks farther back, thus breaking up any possibility of an armored thrust. If you keep the artilery targeted at front, it means that you have less margin for error. Even if the entire attack failed, it's still caused enough attack and allow you to cause enough damage to the enemy armored forces that the artilery could likely break up any further attacks.

In short, whilst it might not be called particularly careful of it's troops lived and there is no doubt that Anakin screwed around when he should have done what he did much sooner and much quicker, it fits with the overall Clone trooper mentality of warfare: Do or die."

that would make sense if there was room for an armored thrust, or if the artillery was anywhere near the front, as I saw it neither of those conditions were present. The rest of it is babbling pseudo military filler, the Vietnamese tactic worked because the Vietnamese had superior numbers and the suicidal charge unnerved their US opponents. Here the Clones had neither superior numbers or opponents that could be unnerved by an infantry rush (the tank commander was scared off by the artillery). In fact as they had artillery, they would want to be in stand off for as long as possible, unless Kenobi wants to feed his own troops to his big guns.

Pronounceable
2008-07-31, 03:44 AM
Clone Trooper:
Obi-Wan:
Clone Trooper:
Obi-Wan:
"What did you say?"
Clone Trooper:
Obi-Wan:

We all know those guys will become stormtroopers, so why not thin their numbers when you have the chance?

Now don't tell me Obi Wan didn't watch the movies, I won't believe it.

Reinforcements
2008-07-31, 06:49 AM
Oh boy, Clone Wars! I sure am looking forward to this crappy version of the mini-series!

Muz
2008-07-31, 11:38 AM
You can't go lower than absolute zero. :smallwink:

Ossian
2008-07-31, 11:43 AM
that would make sense if there was room for an armored thrust, or if the artillery was anywhere near the front, as I saw it neither of those conditions were present. The rest of it is babbling pseudo military filler, the Vietnamese tactic worked because the Vietnamese had superior numbers and the suicidal charge unnerved their US opponents. Here the Clones had neither superior numbers or opponents that could be unnerved by an infantry rush (the tank commander was scared off by the artillery). In fact as they had artillery, they would want to be in stand off for as long as possible, unless Kenobi wants to feed his own troops to his big guns.

Well, from the clip it does not look so horrible. I would have kept my position, but I guess the troopers wanted to close in with the big tripod walkers so as to minimize their effectiveness. Artillery seemed to under used though, targeting robots instead of walking tanks. But then again, what would be left to do to make Anie shine?

I guess they also rushed because they saw that no droid would slow down (unlike a human) despite knowing thatit was walking in the open to be mowed down by machinegun fire.

It could be a number of reasons, really, but it is just pseudo military filler, as you said. SW always worked on the assumptions that we are in WW1 and the red baron is still flying...

O.

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-31, 11:46 AM
hehe smooth, although the less the less skywalker the better, he annoys me all the IM SO HAPPY, IM SO SAAAADD ANGER GRRRRR POWERRRR, prefer other characters to him anyday but id watch it if it came into cinemas or TV
Tell me about it. (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/5-second-movies/37-5-second-movies/92-star-wars-episode-ii) :smalltongue:

DraPrime
2008-07-31, 11:56 AM
The absurdly stupid fighting irritates me to no end.

Jayngfet
2008-07-31, 12:34 PM

If memory serves during the episode 3 game there was one unarmed droid who ran away so they can feel fear. Why someone would give them fear...

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-31, 12:37 PM
Anyway, why would the clone troopers leave cover to charge at the droids? They have rifles, and as the one trooper hurting his fist by punching a droid demonstrated, they are markedly less effective in CQC, not more.

CrazedGoblin
2008-07-31, 12:53 PM
Anyway, why would the clone troopers leave cover to charge at the droids? They have rifles, and as the one trooper hurting his fist by punching a droid demonstrated, they are markedly less effective in CQC, not more.

the more that die the more they republic have to buy from Kamino, sneaky cloners!

Cristo Meyers
2008-07-31, 12:54 PM
Saw the preview when we saw Dark Knight and I could only think one thing: what did Star Wars fans do to deserve another annoying prepubescent Twi-lek sidekick?

Renegade Paladin
2008-07-31, 01:04 PM
Ummm... When was the first one? :smallconfused: In fact, when was this one? Asuka is not a Twi'Lek; the Star Wars universe just has too many aliens with cranial protrusions. :smalltongue:

Mr. Scaly
2008-07-31, 01:23 PM
Dang video won't play, or I'd have something constructive to say.

Cristo Meyers
2008-07-31, 01:37 PM
Ummm... When was the first one? :smallconfused: In fact, when was this one? Asuka is not a Twi'Lek; the Star Wars universe just has too many aliens with cranial protrusions. :smalltongue:

Referring to Mission Vao of KoTOR (in)fame...

Eh, Twi-lek (you're right, too many bloody head-tailed aliens...) or no, my point still stands. It's like the only way they could make watching Anakin tolerable was to put someone more annoying next to him.

DraPrime
2008-07-31, 02:58 PM
Is anyone else irritated that after just standing on top of that droid for 5 minutes deflecting blasts Anakin just kills the thing he's standing on with no effort. Seriously, why didn't he do that in the first place? If he can deflect from the top of a massive droid, he can deflect from the ground.

Talkkno
2008-07-31, 05:58 PM

Keep in mind, he just got his rifle shoot off and his arm probably got hurt in the process. And keep in mind that the droids dont have processors, they just recive orders from a computer, so it is plausible, since it makes them more sluggish, it would tax the main processor more, now that they have to deal with moving targets, thus making them even less accurate.

Rappy
2008-07-31, 07:34 PM
I think attacking an Octuptarra droid head-on has to be one of the stupidest military moves in Star Wars history. Heck, using jet troopers as near-melee fighters rather than snipers could be considered one of the stupidest moves against any opponent. Jet troopers are carrying fuel tanks into a blaster fight in this crystal planet battle (which, by the way, could have been easily transplanted to Mygeeto instead of inventing yet another world that appears eerily like it), and are certainly not equipped for hand to hand against a massive piece of arsenal like that.

I was confident about the storyline when all that was known were bits and pieces, but this makes my faith wane a bit. I'll keep an open mind and a reserve of disappointment for now.

chiasaur11
2008-07-31, 07:37 PM
If memory serves during the episode 3 game there was one unarmed droid who ran away so they can feel fear. Why someone would give them fear...

So they can fear YOU, and thus not rebel.

It's how my robot army works.

Er...
will work.

Would work if it wasn't illegal?

Verruckt
2008-07-31, 08:21 PM
I think attacking an Octuptarra droid head-on has to be one of the stupidest military moves in Star Wars history. Heck, using jet troopers as near-melee fighters rather than snipers could be considered one of the stupidest moves against any opponent. Jet troopers are carrying fuel tanks into a blaster fight in this crystal planet battle (which, by the way, could have been easily transplanted to Mygeeto instead of inventing yet another world that appears eerily like it), and are certainly not equipped for hand to hand against a massive piece of arsenal like that.

I was confident about the storyline when all that was known were bits and pieces, but this makes my faith wane a bit. I'll keep an open mind and a reserve of disappointment for now.

I know, I mean, I'm a major 40k geek, but I'd never thought I'd meet an opponent with dumber ideas for jump troopers. I see now that I was wrong.

Talkkno
2008-07-31, 09:21 PM
From the same source

First of all, you have to remember that the B-1 was originally designed without an on board droid brain. Which means whatever they crammed in there to make sure the thing didn't shut down for lack of direction from the central hub was not much and by all accounts, the control network was still extensively used. Which means that individual B-1's were still highly lacking when it came to processing power and thus, things like accuracy.

As a result, anything you can do to overload the server is a good idea. A moving target takes a lot more processing power to hit, which is going to decrease the capability of the droids in general as their processing power takes a nose dive from trying to track the clone troopers. They become less aware, have slower response times, less accuracy and the whole nine yards. Meaning that anything you can do that is not expected or like moving towards them will cause havoc.

As for the artillery not firing, perhaps not optimal but it strikes me as fitting with Obi-Wans cuatious approach to warfare before Anakin's influence really crept up on him. Namely that that put a couple shells into the rear of the line and keep the clone troopers from getting overwhelmed. Then once it was clear the clonetroopers had the day with regards to the battledroids, do as much damage to the tanks as far away as possible and then simply force the tanks to eat artilery rounds every step of the way.

Mr. Scaly
2008-07-31, 09:31 PM
Alright, I finally saw it.

The tactics: it's a movie. The tactics will be as realistic as clone troopers and armies of battle droids are in real life. Besides, I fail to see anything particularly weird. If they stayed put the droids' own tanks and spider bots would have gotten too close for the artillery to shoot and just overpowered them. Artillery doesn't have THAT good aim.

Anakin: from that one clip, he's arrogant, flashy and overly powered. Basically what I expected anyway.

I'm still looking forward to it.

Ramien
2008-07-31, 09:44 PM
For all those who've been complaining about the bad tactics in a Star Wars movie:

Par for the course, move along.

All of the Star Wars movies have had tactics (and physics, for that matter) based more on what looks cool than what would actually work or make sense.

Verruckt
2008-08-01, 07:23 AM
For all those who've been complaining about the bad tactics in a Star Wars movie:

Par for the course, move along.

All of the Star Wars movies have had tactics (and physics, for that matter) based more on what looks cool than what would actually work or make sense.

Usually I just cringe and move on, but in this case the trade off of bad tactics for cool fight scene wasn't even there. See Narnia, that final battle was about the dumbest thing I've ever seen in terms of strategy, but was made wprth it because it involved Griffin Fighter/Bombers and a chariot pulled by ****ing polar bears :smallamused:.

KillianHawkeye
2008-08-04, 04:57 AM
From the same source

First of all, you have to remember that the B-1 was originally designed without an on board droid brain. Which means whatever they crammed in there to make sure the thing didn't shut down for lack of direction from the central hub was not much and by all accounts, the control network was still extensively used. Which means that individual B-1's were still highly lacking when it came to processing power and thus, things like accuracy.

As a result, anything you can do to overload the server is a good idea. A moving target takes a lot more processing power to hit, which is going to decrease the capability of the droids in general as their processing power takes a nose dive from trying to track the clone troopers. They become less aware, have slower response times, less accuracy and the whole nine yards. Meaning that anything you can do that is not expected or like moving towards them will cause havoc.

As for the artillery not firing, perhaps not optimal but it strikes me as fitting with Obi-Wans cuatious approach to warfare before Anakin's influence really crept up on him. Namely that that put a couple shells into the rear of the line and keep the clone troopers from getting overwhelmed. Then once it was clear the clonetroopers had the day with regards to the battledroids, do as much damage to the tanks as far away as possible and then simply force the tanks to eat artilery rounds every step of the way.

So the theory is that charging into melee will cause the droids to lag??

CrazedGoblin
2008-08-04, 05:35 AM
So the theory is that charging into melee will cause the droids to lag??

hahaha the perfect strategy:smallbiggrin:

Hopeless
2008-08-09, 05:27 PM
My reaction to this would be more like;

The trooper steps up reporting that the Separatists were moving in and the oncoming droid army seriously outnumbered the remaining Republic troops with no answer for reinforcements from the orbiting Republic warships.

"Reinforcement?" the Knight enquires turning to nod at his returning padawan.
"Any trouble getting them into position?" he asks.
"Nope" says his padawan.
"Okay detonate," he replies as his padawan waves to a nearby trooper who nods back depressing a handheld detonator.
Deep within the marching Separatist hordes a series of emp's detonate switching off the gathered droid army shortly followed by a series of precise missile volleys at the rear of the separatist advance blocking off their retreat and insuring any weapons they do have would have to NOT be based on technology emps work against.
"I guess we ought to make sure they stay down don't you?" the knight mentions to the clone trooper.

Yes I thought it was dumb, you've got an army with ARC troopers and you're fighting a largely droid or high tech army that doesn't look like its aware of its inherent weaknesses and you don't use it?

Sorry I have to agree it was contrived, hope it gets better somehow.

Take care and all the best!

Mr. Mud
2008-08-09, 10:06 PM
Does Lucas REALLY need the extra millon he gets for making an animated movie? :smallfrown:. This is gonna dent the reputation of Star Wars I think...

A.K.A. - I'll only see it thrice.

Talkkno
2008-08-09, 11:53 PM
Yes I thought it was dumb, you've got an army with ARC troopers and you're fighting a largely droid or high tech army that doesn't look like its aware of its inherent weaknesses and you don't use it?
You know even today, you can harden technology against EMP.

Xuincherguixe
2008-08-10, 02:21 AM
Yeah... looks like a bunch of hype. After THAT link I can only imagine it sucking.

I'm sure they'll find a way to ruin lightsaber fighting with a Wiimote too actually.