PDA

View Full Version : Do you get to choose the feats and skills of your AC?

Frosty
2008-07-30, 04:24 PM
When you get an animal companian, the default feats are chosen. As you level up in Druid, your ACs get more HD as well. Do you get to choose exactly what feats they get and what they spend their skillpoints in?

Imagine...Diamond Mind Insightful Striking Ape! Iron Heart Surging Wolf! Bears with flaming paws as a follower of Desert Wind (and with enough ranks in Tumble, the Bear can be immune to Fire as well), Eagle that heals you when striking the opponent via Revitalizing Strike!

Yeah it's only once per day, but the imagery is too cool to ignore.

AstralFire
2008-07-30, 04:28 PM
Bears with flaming paws would be pretty awesome.

Okku was like the best thing from NWN2:MotB and the only reason I regret losing my disc for that game.

And I was always under the impression you do.

Chronos
2008-07-30, 04:33 PM
Well, they do get feats and skills, and somebody's got to choose them. I can't imagine who it would be, if it isn't the master's player.

Do mind prerequisites, though, and remember that most animals will have a very poor selection of class skills (only skills that are mentioned in the monster entry).

Irreverent Fool
2008-07-31, 03:40 AM
There's nothing stopping you from selecting your animal companions feats as martial study except your DM. I like it.

As Chronos said, you'll need to watch the prerequisites though. I think you only count 1/2 your HD as IL for learning maneuvers with martial study if you don't have an initiator class, so your AC would need 6HD just to learn a single 2nd-level maneuver that didn't have any specific prereqs.

Frosty
2008-07-31, 10:12 AM
Well some ACs have pretty darn high HD. You could probably end up teaching like 4 maneuvers to your AC. And definitely go for a stance. Stances are always on!

Ralfarius
2008-07-31, 10:31 AM
Is this sounding like a druid version of
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff67/seiryuulostmymusic/KibaAkamaru.jpgto anyone?

'Cause that's kind of awesome.

Vexxation
2008-07-31, 10:35 AM
Just imagine, a Bear actually trained in a martial fighting style...

It'd be a more refined version of this:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g15/mmmoreos/wwf.jpg

AstralFire
2008-07-31, 10:37 AM
I have no idea what Ralf is referencing.

Vexx: FLAWLESS VICTORY

Ralfarius
2008-07-31, 10:54 AM
I have no idea what Ralf is referencing.
I don't want to sound like one of those 'naruto fanboy' types... Basically, each character in the series is a ninja, and they all have defining characteristics in their personality and fighting style. The one there is very feral, and has a close bond with his dog. In fact, the dog is basically a ninja, too, and can perform various techniques to help in battle.

Frosty
2008-07-31, 11:01 AM
I can't see the pics, but I'm guessing Kiba?

Ralfarius
2008-07-31, 06:16 PM
I can't see the pics, but I'm guessing Kiba?
Part II of the series with Kiba riding on the fully grown Akamaru.

bosssmiley
2008-08-01, 04:46 AM
When you get an animal companian, the default feats are chosen. As you level up in Druid, your ACs get more HD as well. Do you get to choose exactly what feats they get and what they spend their skillpoints in?

Imagine...Diamond Mind Insightful Striking Ape! Iron Heart Surging Wolf! Bears with flaming paws as a follower of Desert Wind (and with enough ranks in Tumble, the Bear can be immune to Fire as well), Eagle that heals you when striking the opponent via Revitalizing Strike!

And at which of the Martial Adapts' secretive and exclusive dojos does the (let's face it) ANIMAL learn these abilities?

I can really see the Dwarves and Hobgoblins of the Iron Heart school taking it well when some scruffy tree-worshipper rocks up and demands that they teach the secrets of their ancient warrior tradition to his pet. That can only possibly end with smiles and joy all round. :smallannoyed:

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-01, 04:59 AM
And at which of the Martial Adapts' secretive and exclusive dojos does the (let's face it) ANIMAL learn these abilities?

I can really see the Dwarves and Hobgoblins of the Iron Heart school taking it well when some scruffy tree-worshipper rocks up and demands that they teach the secrets of their ancient warrior tradition to his pet. That can only possibly end with smiles and joy all round. :smallannoyed:

Could be a quest all on its own.

kamikasei
2008-08-01, 05:04 AM

From a renegade student Swordsage/Ranger, obviously. Or just a Tiger Claw adept.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-08-01, 05:20 AM
Keep in mind that an Animal Companion is still an animal, with an intelligence score no higher than 2. It would be impossible to teach it any martial maneuvers as it would be incapable of learning them, end of story. You'd be better off trying to convince your DM to let it take ranks in Speak Language.

You could take Arcane Heirophant and use the familiar ability to deliver touch spells with Produce Flame, or even make the companion familiar take more complex feats due to its improved intelligence score, if you prefer a more cinematic approach. An ordinary animal companion is probably better off with feats like Ability Focus: Poison, Virulent Poison (SS), Improved Multiattack, Power Attack, Leap Attack, Improved Natural Attack, Combat Reflexes, etc., especially considering what a creature of that level of intelligence would be capable of learning.

AstralFire
2008-08-01, 05:24 AM

If we're actually going to use the whole Martial Adept -flavor-, don't Martial Artist Fables often include stuff like "I lived with a bear for four years and learned how to fight as they do"?

kamikasei
2008-08-01, 05:49 AM
If we're actually going to use the whole Martial Adept -flavor-, don't Martial Artist Fables often include stuff like "I lived with a bear for four years and learned how to fight as they do"?

My next martial adept is totally going to have learned Stone Dragon from the Badger Moles.

AstralFire
2008-08-01, 05:51 AM
My next martial adept is totally going to have learned Stone Dragon from the Badger Moles.

My Raptoran DW Swordsage lived with the Phoera.

Also, badger Moles? Totally freaking scary.

Frosty
2008-08-01, 10:02 AM
My Raptoran DW Swordsage lived with the Phoera.

Also, badger Moles? Totally freaking scary.

What's a Phoera? Anyhow, there's plenty of instances in popular culture and movies where animals fight with martial arts. A lot of maneuvers are just you hitting people really hard and in a special way. So while Mr Dire Bear might nto learn how to Teleport as a swift action, he can certainly learn to hit someone and bypass Hardness and DR.

Skjaldbakka
2008-08-01, 10:14 AM
I've always seen it ruled that the animals base feats are fixed, but you get to choose the feats and skills it gains as it advances in HD.

Keep in mind that an Animal Companion is still an animal, with an intelligence score no higher than 2.

Of course, technically you could assign one of its stat boost to intelligence, or give it an item boosting intelligence.

Frosty
2008-08-01, 10:19 AM
I'm also ditching my AC and replacing it with an Earth Elemental (as per the rules in Complete Mage). It makes sense since this is a Planar game and I won't be able to replace animals whenever I want. It's good because my character is supposed to be sneaky. With Earthglide, so can my Elemental Companion!

I wonder if I can perform Stone Dragon maneuvers if I'm only in contact with my Earth Elemental :smallbiggrin:

Ralfarius
2008-08-01, 10:28 AM
"Badger moles... Coming t'ward me... Come on guys, help me ouuuuut."
"The Big Bad Badger Moles, who live in the tunnels! Hate the wolf bats, but love the souuuunds!"

kamikasei
2008-08-01, 10:52 AM
Of course, technically you could assign one of its stat boost to intelligence, or give it an item boosting intelligence.

An animal possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

* Intelligence score of 1 or 2 (no creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher can be an animal).

I wonder if I can perform Stone Dragon maneuvers if I'm only in contact with my Earth Elemental :smallbiggrin:

Just put some dirt in your shoes.

Arbitrarity
2008-08-01, 10:59 AM
Keep in mind that an Animal Companion is still an animal, with an intelligence score no higher than 2. It would be impossible to teach it any martial maneuvers as it would be incapable of learning them, end of story.

Martial Study: Prerequisites?
None. Not "Intelligence 3" or anything like that. None. Stop discriminating against animals. They can take feats. - intelligence is unable to learn, or take feats/skills, but animals can.

What is this realism you speak of? Of course it can learn maneuvers!

*Watches animal companion use War Leader's Charge*
*Charges*
*Wonders why he has a 36 HD companion*

Maybe Feral Death Blow is more appropriate.

Starsinger
2008-08-01, 11:01 AM
Given how it wasn't intensely popular, I think I'm the only one who'll get this, but I'm reminded of the (in the beginning of the game) awesomeness of Brau from Romancing SaGa. Who was basically a bear, with martial arts, including, if I remember correctly, a flaming claw attack.

Thinker
2008-08-01, 11:14 AM
I'd rather give them Incarnum feats to give them bindings. Most animals won't have magic items, but now they wouldn't want them. A lot of them have that high Con, too which would make it worthwhile.

Chronos
2008-08-01, 11:21 AM
Martial Study: Prerequisites?
None. Not "Intelligence 3" or anything like that. None. Stop discriminating against animals. They can take feats. - intelligence is unable to learn, or take feats/skills, but animals can.Yeah, if you're going to rule that an animal can't take Martial Study, what other feats are you going to rule that an animal can't take? If they can't learn the special techniques used for a sublime strike, can they learn the special techniques used for Improved Bull Rush, or Spring Attack?

An animal possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

* Intelligence score of 1 or 2 (no creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher can be an animal).Which does raise the question of what happens to an animal companion if you stick a Headband of Clear Thought on it, or use a Wish to make it smarter. Does it become an "unless otherwise noted in entry"? Does it (temporarily or permanently) become a magical beast? Can it just not benefit from Int boosters?

kamikasei
2008-08-01, 11:23 AM
Which does raise the question of what happens to an animal companion if you stick a Headband of Clear Thought on it, or use a Wish to make it smarter. Does it become an "unless otherwise noted in entry"? Does it (temporarily or permanently) become a magical beast? Can it just not benefit from Int boosters?

I'd say the last. It'd be like sticking an amulet of health on an undead. Animals don't have Int -, but they do have Int {1,2}, and can't be pushed outside that range.

Frosty
2008-08-01, 11:25 AM
I'd rather give them Incarnum feats to give them bindings. Most animals won't have magic items, but now they wouldn't want them. A lot of them have that high Con, too which would make it worthwhile.

That got me thinking. What if my Companion took the Vow of Poverty feat? It never has any possessions anyways. Probably too cheesy though.

kamikasei
2008-08-01, 11:57 AM
That got me thinking. What if my Companion took the Vow of Poverty feat? It never has any possessions anyways. Probably too cheesy though.

Wouldn't it need to be Good-aligned, which is impossible for an animal?

Frosty
2008-08-01, 12:08 PM
My companion is an Earth elemetnal.

Hal
2008-08-01, 01:01 PM
What about that PrC from Dungeonscape? I forget the name, but you get a magical beast for an animal companion. Otyughs (one of the companion choices) have a base Int of 5, so it's not much of a stretch to make one as smart as your average Orc.

Frosty
2008-08-01, 01:05 PM
What about that PrC from Dungeonscape? I forget the name, but you get a magical beast for an animal companion. Otyughs (one of the companion choices) have a base Int of 5, so it's not much of a stretch to make one as smart as your average Orc.

My character would not want to travel with an Otyugh for any extended length of time. He has a nose.

Starbuck_II
2008-08-01, 06:39 PM
My character would not want to travel with an Otyugh for any extended length of time. He has a nose.

Can't use just cast Prestigidation on it repeatily (at least 1/day?)? The spell freshens anything.

I still wonder why there isn't a Wizard's Laundry Mat (it can clean clothes).

Chronos
2008-08-01, 09:21 PM
Unfortunately, most otyughs weigh more than a pound.

Cuddly
2008-08-02, 12:13 AM
You could probably end up teaching like 4 maneuvers to your AC.

Can't you only take that feat 3 times?

Frosty
2008-08-02, 01:00 AM
Can't you only take that feat 3 times?

Oh right. Stupid limitation.

Talic
2008-08-02, 02:00 AM
camel, riding dog, horse, pony, wolf - all available for level 2 maneuvers at druid level 6, level 4 maneuvers at level 15.

4th lvl animals - Ape, Bison, Dire Bat - 2nd level initiator
Large shark - 3rd level initiator

7th level - Brown Bear, Giant Crocodile, Dire Boar, Dire Wolf, Huge Viper Snake, Tiger - 3rd level initiator
Rhinoceros - 4th level initiator
Elasmosaurus - 5th level initiator

10th level - Polar Bear, Dire Lion, Megaraptor, Orca Whale - 4th level initiator
Huge Shark, Giant Constrictor snake - 5th level initiator

13th level - Elephant - 5th level initiator
Dire Bear - 6th level initiator

16th level - Dire Tiger, Triceratops - 8th level initiator
Dire Shark, Tyrannosaurus - 9th level initiator

By this, the animal companion HD are almost never too far from the druid HD (though exceptions do apply with the aquatic campaign animals... Elasmosaurus and sharks are examples). Which means the maneuvers the animals qualify for are not too far off a non-initiator PC. Still, something about a dire bear with Charging Minotaur... Or a triceratops.

Frosty
2008-08-02, 02:10 AM
Give a Dire Bear Mighty Throw or something...now your AC *can* shift enemies around!