PDA

View Full Version : V's a guy!!

paladinofshojo
2008-07-30, 10:12 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html

Look at the middle pannel on the 2nd line V's asked the question "Why are all men pigs?"

A normal women would probably give a list of things she hates about men but all he responds is "I don't think I am qualified to comment on gender traits"...therefore he is not a women

There's also the fact that his robes express no figure whatsoever....wheras other female spellcasters have a visible figure such as Sabine and Sangwaan

blackspeeker
2008-07-30, 10:33 PM
There is an argument that can be made against your first point where you say a normal woman would list reasons why men are pigs, where as V said V couldn't answer. V clearly has problems of differentiating between male and female without being told up front, http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0237.html

So V's gender is still inconclusive.

Lira
2008-07-30, 10:33 PM
*facepalm*

You know there's already a thread discussing V's gender on this page? And those arguments have been discussed a million times before? I'm just checking.

Admiral_Kelly
2008-07-30, 10:41 PM
Yes. V is a guy. This is fact; he always was a guy but the Giant has hid this fact after some posters could not identify his sex long ago. He even retroactively changed a panel or two where he was referenced as male for that reason.

If V turns out to be female, it would be yet another retroactive change.

GrandMasterMe
2008-07-30, 10:49 PM
If it were up to me I would ban all discusion of v's gender from the boards. Your kicking a dead horse. Rich has said that he's not going to tell us and to that end you should stop the pointless speculationg. Furthermore your point has no doubt be made before in one of the other ten thousand v threads.

Deth Muncher
2008-07-30, 11:11 PM
Yes. V is a guy. This is fact; he always was a guy but the Giant has hid this fact after some posters could not identify his sex long ago. He even retroactively changed a panel or two where he was referenced as male for that reason.

If V turns out to be female, it would be yet another retroactive change.

Have you the proof?

Admiral_Kelly
2008-07-30, 11:12 PM
Just ask Surfing Orc; he has made this claim before.

Laurentio II
2008-07-30, 11:26 PM
A normal women would probably give a list of things she hates about men but all he responds is "I don't think I am qualified to comment on gender traits"...therefore he is not a women
Or just an elf with no interest at all in gender definition.
No really, drop it.

Spiky
2008-07-30, 11:44 PM
Somebody explain to me how this isn't a topic that has been banned.

Yendor
2008-07-30, 11:51 PM
My theory is that every I-proved-V's-gender-I'm-so-clever thread increases the probability that the proposed answer in such is wrong.

teratorn
2008-07-30, 11:52 PM
Somebody explain to me how this isn't a topic that has been banned.

Nem members to the forum have the right to discuss such stuff, and to make Miko threads, Belkar alignement threads, and the such. Let them take it out from their systems, it's fun for them, and we can always ignore them. I don't see why the topic should be banned. In this case, however, there is already a thread on this page on the subject.

NENAD
2008-07-30, 11:54 PM
Vaarsuvius must be a guy because he is secretly Redcloak's and Therkla's long lost brother, and I can prove it!

...Okay, no I can't.

factotum
2008-07-31, 02:05 AM
Nem members to the forum have the right to discuss such stuff

He hardly counts as a new member, now, does he?

katkin
2008-07-31, 02:09 PM
Oh. My. Word!

It doesn't even matter WHAT sex V is! V is still V, whether V is a he, a her, an it or all of the above!

*deep calming breath*

BRC
2008-07-31, 02:14 PM
:vaarsuvius:Vaarsuvius is too powerful for your puny pronouns! (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20080724.html)

Ninja
2008-07-31, 02:14 PM
lets make a deal. whenever a new Vs gender thread starts, no-one will answer it!!!! especially if the thread contains no proof whatsoever....

d'Bwobsling
2008-07-31, 02:34 PM
Q: Is Vaarsuvius male or female?

A: I will never reveal the truth! Bwahaha! Keep in mind that while certain other characters might refer to V as being male or female, that simply reveals their perception.not the actual reality of the situation.

I was really hoping this wouldn't be a "in strip X character Y refers to him as male"

David Argall
2008-07-31, 04:48 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html

Look at the middle pannel on the 2nd line V's asked the question "Why are all men pigs?"

Since this is V's answer to being addressed as female, it's status of a definitive argument is already suspect. However, it has several other answers, such as he is female, and she is male. One who is in fact of both sexes might well feel doubts about the ability to describe either.
Less exoticly, V has shown limited awareness of who is male vs who is female, and may just be confessing her ignorance [tho we are talking V, who is quite proud of his mental powress and knowledge, so this might be deemed the more exotic explanation.]

paladinofshojo
2008-07-31, 09:08 PM
Since this is V's answer to being addressed as female, it's status of a definitive argument is already suspect. However, it has several other answers, such as he is female, and she is male. One who is in fact of both sexes might well feel doubts about the ability to describe either.
Less exoticly, V has shown limited awareness of who is male vs who is female, and may just be confessing her ignorance [tho we are talking V, who is quite proud of his mental powress and knowledge, so this might be deemed the more exotic explanation.]

OK, but there's also the fact that his robes appear to show no female figure whatsoever.........

Innis Cabal
2008-07-31, 09:18 PM
OK, but there's also the fact that his robes appear to show no female figure whatsoever.........

That matters...how? They are
1. Stick figures
2. She may just be flatchested.

Kaytara
2008-07-31, 10:44 PM
No, no, you guys understand nothing. I have it.

Vaarsuvius is female because she's in reality the smuggled out goblin daughter mentioned in SoD. The person who was on to it decided to disguise her as an elf, since nobody would expect that. She was left ambiguously gendered because the caster failed to specify the type of features the disguise would give her, so she ended up with having the average features of the elf race.

Also, there's undeniable proof that Vaarsuvius' inconspicuous cloak that hasn't been mentioned a single time in the comic is actually the newer, better version of the Crimson Mantle. After all, just face it - it's RED. There's no denying THAT kind of proof. The Dark One apparently thought that his other disciple was screwing up the job - can't blame him, really - and decided to name a successor. That's why Vaarsuvius, while still secretly a goblin, hasn't been aging, just like a normal elf. The Mantle is also the reason V is so intelligent, as it gave her supreme insight into the structure of the world. Also, one of the main boons of the new and improved Mantle is how very discreet it is. Not only is it completely invincible to being scryed by paladins, allowing V to remain undetected, it doesn't even register as the extremely powerful magical item it is. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0177.html)

Seriously, guys. You really should be more attentive to the comic - maybe then you'd have a better chance of noticing something this obvious. T_T

Faithless
2008-07-31, 10:56 PM
OR... V could be an ambigious character. Either male or female but purposely not any distinct gender. Since it is purposely, any references that may allude to one gender or the other are either slip ups or nothing. The comic is written with V ambigious and no matter how much it is debated that ain't gonna change.

bluewind95
2008-07-31, 11:07 PM
Frankly, I don't think V has a gender anymore. He/she used to be male/female... but no longer is either. See, originally, Rich gave him/her a gender. However, once his focus was to make the character undefined, the gender was lost. If V was originally male, Rich had to add female traits. If V was originally female, Rich had to add male traits. It really is of no use to try and guess at the gender, since he/she no longer really has one. V is a kind of literary hermaphrodite.

I would guess that V (due to the artistic style) was originally male. However, it really became a rather useless guess the moment Rich decided to make the character of an indeterminate gender. Rich can say either thing and be correct. And because it's so indeterminate, he can also change his mind at any time during the story and it still would apply. Fun as it may be to try to poke at this mystery and find out the answer... I really don't think it has much of an answer anymore.

archon_huskie
2008-07-31, 11:20 PM
Here's the thing. Rich does not add male or female traits to V once the choice to make V ???? gender. The art work stays the same and V's mannerisms stay the same. Before the Gender question came. People were assuming V was female based on the art work.

I guessed that V (due to the artistic style) was originally female.

Lira
2008-07-31, 11:22 PM
Before the Gender question came. People were assuming V was female based on the art work.Actually, some people assumed male and some people assumed female based on the artwork.

ChaoticEvilGuy
2008-07-31, 11:24 PM
I agree because also in strip #237 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0237.html) Haley says to V "Wow, watch out V, it must be Roy's time of the month already." V gives a confused look. If s/he was female s/he would surley understand.

Lira
2008-07-31, 11:35 PM
I agree because also in strip #237 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0237.html) Haley says to V "Wow, watch out V, it must be Roy's time of the month already." V gives a confused look. If s/he was female s/he would surley understand.Or, you know, V could be confused because V hasn't noticed Roy's a girl so the joke doesn't make sense, or perhaps V doesn't know that particular euphemism for a period, etc.

archon_huskie
2008-07-31, 11:36 PM
Actually, some people assumed male and some people assumed female based on the artwork.

That is of course what I meant and intended to write.

DBear
2008-08-01, 02:14 PM
Your kicking a dead horse.

This is kicking a dead horse, resurrecting said horse, kicking it to death again, hiring Grubwiggler to make a golem out of it, then kicking it yet again :smalltongue:

V's gender actually seems to have become subject to the Rule of Funny. For example, the Gemstones and Charlie's Angels sketches work with V as female. Other situations work better with V as male.

tieto
2008-08-01, 02:34 PM
I have proof that v's a female because in one of the earlier ones v shares a room with haley:smalltongue:

Jade_Tarem
2008-08-01, 03:03 PM
I agree because also in strip #237 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0237.html) Haley says to V "Wow, watch out V, it must be Roy's time of the month already." V gives a confused look. If s/he was female s/he would surley understand.

Do remember that V only has to urinate once a week. If that's the case then there may very well be decades between elven feminine cycles, so the term "that time of the month" would have no meaning to V beyond describing lunar phases and tidal patterns.

If OOTS were set in Dragonlance, of course, there would be all kinds of hilarity based on "that time of the month" jokes - there are 3 moons, and wizards of the different alignments have their powers wane and wax based on which moons are waning, waxing, and the like. Even better, one of the moons (the neutral moon) is RED, which leads to the following inevitable conversation.

:belkar:: I don't see why V is so hot to go into battle all of a sudden.
:roy:: It's probably because it's the right time of the month.
:belkar:: *Snicker* Yeah... wait, what?
:roy:: Yeah, when the red tide comes, V is going to want to work out all that pent-up aggression.
:belkar:: Huh? I thought V was... you know...
:roy:: Was what? All wizards are subject to natural cycles.
:belkar:: Did you just say that all wizards are girls?
:roy:: No! Why would you even ask that?
:belkar:: Ok, now you're just screwing with me.

SlightlyEvil
2008-08-01, 04:21 PM
See, this kind of thread is why we had organ-harvesting. Yes, organ-harvesting was stupid and spammy, but so is the constant parade of V's gender threads, and those aren't as funny.

This one is particular is perhaps the worst justification for one side or another I have seen on this board. The joke in that scene is that V, being of questionable gender hirself, is not exactly qualified to comment on the mysteries of any specific gender. I also find your assumption that a "normal woman" would immediately start ranting about how men are evil to be unjustified and, if I were feeling uncharitable, somewhat misogynistic.

Anyway, this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86393) basically sums up all my arguments about V's gender "theories", with all their "conclusive" proof.

OITS
2008-08-01, 04:57 PM
V is female! I KNOW it. About 50% of all the people in the world are female, so if we take a group of adventurers, containing 6 people, there should be 3 girls in it. To shorten it - only 10% of all groups with 6 random people only have 1 female in it. And the probability, that the Order of the Stick is one of those 10% is about 3%!!!

Or so...

Anyway: Paladinofshojo, best for you would be to return to starting thread about how evil Xykon really is. But don't talk about V's gender. Please.

d'Bwobsling
2008-08-01, 07:00 PM
V is female! I KNOW it. About 50% of all the people in the world are female, so if we take a group of adventurers, containing 6 people, there should be 3 girls in it. To shorten it - only 10% of all groups with 6 random people only have 1 female in it. And the probability, that the Order of the Stick is one of those 10% is about 3%!!!

yeah, but most dnd campains have more guys than girls

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-08-01, 07:44 PM
Just ask Surfing Orc; he has made this claim before.

Um, when did I say that? In fact, what are you saying I said, since I like being able to defend myself when challenged? :smallconfused:

I know I'm not the original theorist that Vaarsuvius is male, but Rich made hir gender ambigous for the humor value. I've seen that no one in the strip is able to pin down Vaarsuvius' gender, including who should be the formost expert on humanoid (and possibly/probably any and all others) sexuality: Sabine.

Somewhere, and of course I can't find it now, Sabine calls V both male and female in the same strip... If Sabine can't tell, how can the rest of us know for sure? :smallwink:

AtomicKitKat
2008-08-01, 08:45 PM
I remember being among the first to point out that it was someone whose name/avatar contained squirrels who first raised the question of V's gender(in a spot where the Giant would actually read) in the thread for comic 009. Subsequently, Rich adjusted V to become more and more ambiguous. Prior to strip 10 though, V was 99% likely to be male.

OITS
2008-08-02, 04:14 AM
I can't imagine, why people take a walk in the internet, without being able to distinguish between irony and sincerity. :D

Vinsfeld
2008-08-05, 08:24 PM
I don't really think so. I think that it was a joke made by Burlew.:smalltongue:

Admiral_Kelly
2008-08-05, 08:38 PM
Um, when did I say that? In fact, what are you saying I said, since I like being able to defend myself when challenged? :smallconfused:Sorry then; it must have been someone else.

dragongirl13
2008-08-05, 10:02 PM
That is no proof. She may have simply met guys who are not pigs.

ZerglingOne
2008-08-05, 10:12 PM
That one time when they dispel magic on him when he was a lizard, he is standing behind the dragon's tail and isn't curvaceous. Nowhere in the comic is V referred to as a female, not even like the core rulebooks where everything defaults to female, V is always referred to as him, his, he, etc. While one can say this is because the other PCs simply don't know, and are thus defaulting to his demeanor as being more masculine. V is written so that whoever is reading the comic decides what gender s/he is. I'm putting my vote in that he's male due to the fact that he lacks curves, is very aggressive (especially for an elf), and has a masculine name. My 2cp.

Sonar009
2008-08-05, 11:05 PM
I've started to respond to these with a pun style groan.

Alright, any 'proof' you receive of V's gender/sex is retroactively incorrect, I.E. the moment you prove it, Rich switches it to the other gender. If you call V male, she is female. If you call V female, then he is male.

P.S. You may think you're being logical when you say V's partner will also be androgynous. Alternately, V's partner will very clearly be one sex (for the example, let's use female) and the V's gender debate will continue, just as strong. The new argument will be whether V is female (and gay, as per example) or male (Not gay, as per example)

I am going to put this on any V gender threads I see now.

Fools ye be warned.

P.S. In a spoiler below is the old lecture I would give:

Because you have claimed V's gender to be male, she is female. Because I claimed V is female, Rich has changed it to Male. This keeps going to infinity, or until people stop foolishly putting up more posts of this kind.

Thank you for your time.

-Peace,
Sonar009

Edit - Did I... did I win?