PDA

View Full Version : Needed: Fantasy City Mapping Application

Nad
2008-07-31, 10:11 AM
Hi gang!

I'm going to be running a campaign where the players found a new city and foster it as it grows. Of course to fill the coffers, a few adventures will help :)

The big catch is my players are several states away from me and we'll be starting this game when the online game table comes into play. (We're using FG now)

I've got my own spreadsheet in the works for a 4e random citizen generator and all the stats and sheets I need to keep track in Excel but I'd really like to find an application that will let me show them the city as it grows without too much detail...

I've been thinking an architect style program but that's probably too one building focused. Anyone know something I could use to make pictures of the city since my drawing skills suck?

Vexxation
2008-07-31, 10:47 AM
Hi gang!

I'm going to be running a campaign where the players found a new city and foster it as it grows. Of course to fill the coffers, a few adventures will help :)

The big catch is my players are several states away from me and we'll be starting this game when the online game table comes into play. (We're using FG now)

I've got my own spreadsheet in the works for a 4e random citizen generator and all the stats and sheets I need to keep track in Excel but I'd really like to find an application that will let me show them the city as it grows without too much detail...

I've been thinking an architect style program but that's probably too one building focused. Anyone know something I could use to make pictures of the city since my drawing skills suck?

If you've got it, civilization 4 has beautiful cities, just stay in the medieval era and add stuff to the city using Worldbuilder as the players build stuff.

And if you don't have Civilization, then BAH!

Fendalus
2008-07-31, 11:06 AM
You could use AutoREALM to make the layout of the city. I haven't tried using it for that purpose yet, but it shouldn't be to hard to do.

link: http://www.autorealm.org/

Nad
2008-07-31, 12:20 PM
If you've got it, civilization 4 has beautiful cities, just stay in the medieval era and add stuff to the city using Worldbuilder as the players build stuff.

And if you don't have Civilization, then BAH!

I do have Ciz but I'm unfamiliar with the worldbuilder. I can google it but if you have additional information, please share :)

Nad
2008-07-31, 12:23 PM
You could use AutoREALM to make the layout of the city. I haven't tried using it for that purpose yet, but it shouldn't be to hard to do.

link: http://www.autorealm.org/

Fantastic!

Thanks Fendalus!!! This looks like it will work perfectly!