PDA

View Full Version : Which computer game to buy?

the quinn
2008-07-31, 11:21 PM
I want a new game to play on my computer but I am not sure what to get
I come to you mighty giant in the playground community what should I get?
I like rpg's set in the futuristic setting
as well as FPS's like half life and halo, call of duty...

give me some ideas

RTGoodman
2008-07-31, 11:24 PM
I don't play computer games, but if you like FPSs and having played Call of Duty 4 you're missing out. That's about all I can think of now, but I'm sure there are others that'll have other ideas.

Mr. Mud
2008-07-31, 11:24 PM
What Computer Set-up do you have? (RAM, and Video card would be nice. along with processor)

If you computer is not an issue, I suggest Mass Effect orr... CoD4? If you haven't snagged copies already.

the quinn
2008-07-31, 11:26 PM
I have an good computer capable of everything I've thrown at it.
I have already played mass effect and COD4
I do remember 2 GB of ram

Mr. Mud
2008-07-31, 11:34 PM
Ah Okay, so graphics won't be a problem...

Am I about to call Elder Scrolls: IV old?

A bit of an old title, Elder Scrolls: IV Oblivion?

the quinn
2008-07-31, 11:34 PM
Nuts done that one too

Sneak
2008-07-31, 11:37 PM
Get Giants: Citizen Kabuto (if you can find it/get it/run it)!

It's a fairly old game (released around 2000, I believe, although not that many people have heard of it), but the graphics are very pretty anyway, in a cartoony sort of way. And its age means that it is probably cheaper. Anyway, it has very fun gameplay (it kind of defies classification...I guess it would be a third person shooter with RTS elements) that is challenging without being ridiculously hard. And, best of all, it's actually funny! Most games that attempt humor just come off as juvenile and crude, but Giants actually pulls it off, and for that I salute it.

I'm sad because I can't play it on my computer anymore and I never got to finish it...either because I bought an intel Mac or because I upgraded to Leopard, it refuses to run on my computer. :smallfrown: You would be running it on Windows, though, I assume, so I don't think that would be a problem.

Anyway, you should check it out.

EDIT: And shouldn't this be in Gaming (Other)?

Mr. Mud
2008-07-31, 11:43 PM
Darn... Well gemme a second to think

[after about a second]

How could I forget this one. "Freelancer", made by microsoft. Space Shooer game where you play as a... a... Freelancer?

Might not be your normal genre, but it wasn't mine and I love it to death.

Dhavaer
2008-07-31, 11:46 PM

Is Mass Effect out on PC yet?

Semidi
2008-08-01, 12:03 AM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a pretty good game. It's a FPS/RPG hybrid sort of like Deus Ex with an inventory and so on. The setting is an alternate reality Chernobyl with near-future weapons and power armor.

It's sort of a tactical shooter with RPG elements. One of the more difficult games I've ever played too.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-01, 12:13 AM
If you havent played them, then all the games on the Orange Box are a must. They are all FPS's with the exception of portal, which is still first person.

So yeah, for 40 bucks you can get

Half Life 2, which has been called the "best game off all time", or something rediculous like that. Still a damn good game though.
Team Fortress 2. A totally awesome online team/class-based shooter. Much more focused on team game play than most FPS's out there.
And Portal. Need I say more?

Edit: Also, if you think your computor can take it, buy up Crysis. Its a really fun si-fi shooter. But dont trust the online test they put up to see if your comp can run Crysis, they kind of... err... overexagerate what settings you can play on.

warty goblin
2008-08-01, 01:17 AM
If you are looking for a good FPS and have a decent computer, I highly recommend Crysis. It's more or less like CoD4, except less soul-suckingly linear (Go to large flashing becon inexplicably right out in the middle of nowhere with no cover! Press F to trigger airstrike! I hate that stuff), at least until the end, which is admittedly pretty soul sucking.

The beginning is frankly brilliant however, the nanosuit is one of the most liberating gameplay devices ever, since it gives you a lot of freedom, but always balances it with significant drawbacks, the weapons are fun, and in a truly relieving bit, can be customized exactly as you want- there's no "one attachment" limit, just one attachment of each type assuming the gun can hold it. This means that you can put any scope on any gun (except the pistol, although you can put the sniper scope on the shotgun), along with laser pointers, flashlights (which don't have an annoying 30 second battery), grenade launchers et cet. Good times. Also the game features what is quite honestly the best tank section of any FPS I've ever played.

I also highly recommend S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl as well. It has the best ballistics model of any FPS I've ever played, bullets ricochet, drop with gravity, lose damage over distance, and either do good damage and suck against armor or go through armor but do less damage. Also you can get slugs for the shotguns, which is relieving beyond description to no longer be completely worthless at distances outside 10 feet. Seriously, it was one of the most awesome moments ever in a game when I noticed that I kept missing guys with the pistol from close range, even though the iron sights were right on the dude's head. I then realized it was because the bullets were in fact going over my target's head, because I was so close.

On the RPG front, Neverwinter Nights 2 might be worth a look, although the camera in that game annoys me to the point of wanting to rip my eyeballs out.

Shikton
2008-08-01, 01:20 AM
I'll sign for Giants: Citizen Kabuto. It's great fun, and it's split in 3 parts where you play as a different creature in each part.

I suppose you've played Knights of the Old Republic?
Fallout?

Other than that I don't really have any good suggestions.

ghost_warlock
2008-08-01, 01:44 AM

Fallout 3 (http://fallout.bethsoft.com/index.html) is supposed to be out this fall, should meet both of those preferences.
In the meantime, maybe you could check out Fallout 1 & 2 if you haven't already.

Ominous
2008-08-01, 02:08 AM
Fallout 3 (http://fallout.bethsoft.com/index.html) is supposed to be out this fall, should meet both of those preferences.
In the meantime, maybe you could check out Fallout 1 & 2 if you haven't already.

I second the Fallout 1 & 2 recommendation. Also, Planescape: Torment is the creme de la creme of Computer RPGs. If you haven't played these games yet, look around for them on eBay.

factotum
2008-08-01, 02:23 AM
How could I forget this one. "Freelancer", made by microsoft. Space Shooer game where you play as a... a... Freelancer?

Or, if you're thinking of that genre, you could get X3: Reunion, which has the advantage of being a good game, unlike Freelancer. :smallbiggrin:

Phae Nymna
2008-08-01, 02:41 AM
*cough*

:elan:BUY TEAM FORTRESS 2:nale:
:biggrin:IT'S FUN.:biggrin:
:smile:

The Evil Thing
2008-08-01, 03:36 AM
If you aren't one of those weird people who are diametrically opposed to Steam, then get the Eidos Everything Pack. (http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=sub&SubId=771&cc=GB) It'll set you back $100 but you get Eidos' entire back catalogue.

Within it are a few goodies you might enjoy.

Om
2008-08-01, 04:42 AM
If you aren't one of those weird people who are diametrically opposed to Steam, then get the Eidos Everything Pack. (http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=sub&SubId=771&cc=GB) It'll set you back $100 but you get Eidos' entire back catalogueMost of those games are dross but Commandos II & Deus Ex at a tenner each (dollars!)... well that's a steal. Anyone who doesn't have either game should buy them now

Triaxx
2008-08-01, 05:28 AM
Hey! Freelancer was Awesome. Especially when you realize how much fun you can have playing with mods. Nothing say's 'Smite Button' like fighting the final battle with a capship.

*cough* Anyway, I'll assume you've played the BG series. Icewind Dale is fun if you like more hacking and slashing, and less story line yakking. Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil is also fun, if you can avoid the frustration of the occasional crash. Dungeon Siege should probably have been named Dungeon Crawl, but is still awesome. And then there is Sacred, and it's Underworld expansion. If you liked Diablo, you'll love this game. And it has a forthcoming sequel. I'll also highly recommend the Fallout games. All three of them. And Tactics. If you feel like jumping into the Wayback Machine, the Might and Magic series had several good entries.

If your computer is powerful enough, and you have the patience of a Zen Buddist practicing Judo, you might enjoy Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1&2. The two EA Bond Games, Agent Under Fire and Nightfire are both fun romps, if you can avoid a few glitches.

JabberwockySupafly
2008-08-01, 10:39 AM
I am seriously shocked (heh! Punny!) that noone has mentioned Bioshock yet.

It's pretty much everything you need. RPG-esque elements in a fantastic FPS environment with one of the best storylines out on PC, and some slight decision making elements as well to give a semblence of control over the story. Also one of the best twists since "Luke, I Am Your Father...".

Also, Telekinesis + Flaming Pumpkin = AWESOME.

It's one of those games where I've played it, beaten it, and two weeks later with a bit of boyish glee gone "let's do that again!". And I am far from the only one who has done this.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-01, 10:54 AM
I am seriously shocked (heh! Punny!) that noone has mentioned Bioshock yet.

It's pretty much everything you need. RPG-esque elements in a fantastic FPS environment with one of the best storylines out on PC, and some slight decision making elements as well to give a semblence of control over the story. Also one of the best twists since "Luke, I Am Your Father...".

Also, Telekinesis + Flaming Pumpkin = AWESOME.

It's one of those games where I've played it, beaten it, and two weeks later with a bit of boyish glee gone "let's do that again!". And I am far from the only one who has done this.

Aww yeeesssss. If you haven't played Bioshock yet. You need to buy it. Like NOW. You will be the envy of all your friends who have played it, and yearn for a first time experience again.

the quinn
2008-08-01, 11:07 AM
Just for your information here is what I have played
Orange box
-Half life 2 (+episodes 1 and 2)
-Team Fortress 2
-Portal
Mass Effect
Call of duty 4
Halo combat evolved
Knights of the old Republic
Bioshock
Oblivion
Star Craft
thats all I can think right now
Thanks for the help and I am looking into S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Morty
2008-08-01, 11:10 AM
I third the suggestion for Fallout 1 & 2. Planescape: Torment is even better, but doesn't fit the request.

shadowxknight
2008-08-01, 11:33 AM
Try Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic 2.

Great storyline, and are set far away from the main Star Wars storyline so even if you didn't watch the movies you can still enjoy the game.

For FPS I recommend Unreal Tournament, any of the newer ones will do. IMO it has a faster pace than other FPS such as CoD4 and Halo 3.

Terraoblivion
2008-08-01, 03:52 PM
If you can manage to find a copy of Beyond Good and Evil or Psychonauts, even though they are probably better played on console, then definitely go for it. They are two of the best games i have ever played when it comes to storytelling, though neither achieved the financial success they deserve. Giants is hilarious as well, it manages to pull off juvenile humor in a way that is actually funny. And of course anything made with the Infinity Engine, that is the Baldur's Gate series, the Icewind Dale Series and Planescape: Torment, is great. Fallout 1 and 2 are great if you can stand the clunky, awkward interface and the immensely brown on brown look of the graphics. Both are excellent games otherwise, but those two aspects act like great deterrents for me replaying them. And for a more deliberate first person experience you cannot go wrong with Thief, especially Thief 2: The Metal Age is utterly wonderful.

And as you can see these are all older games, which boils down to the fact that you have pretty much played all newer PC games worth playing so the only games left to recommend aren't new. I hope that is not too much of a problem.

arguskos
2008-08-01, 04:01 PM
I noticed Starcraft on your list, and figured I'd give a shout-out for Sins of a Solar Empire. It's like Starcraft and Civilization had an RTS-Spaceship Battles lovechild, and it was AWESOME. Not sure if it'd be your cup of tea/java/whathaveyou, but it's pretty sweet.

Also, I'm endorsing Giants:Citizen Kabuto and anything with the Infinity Engine (BG series, IWD series, Planescape:Torment).

-argus

Pyro
2008-08-01, 04:42 PM
I noticed Starcraft on your list, and figured I'd give a shout-out for Sins of a Solar Empire. It's like Starcraft and Civilization had an RTS-Spaceship Battles lovechild, and it was AWESOME. Not sure if it'd be your cup of tea/java/whathaveyou, but it's pretty sweet.

Also, I'm endorsing Giants:Citizen Kabuto and anything with the Infinity Engine (BG series, IWD series, Planescape:Torment).

-argus

Is Sins anything like homeworld?

arguskos
2008-08-01, 05:03 PM
Uh, not having played that series in some time, I couldn't say. My guess, based on what my friends have said? No, not really. It's described as a RT4X game, a Real Time Strategy game, but with the depth of a simulation game, like Civ or Alpha Centauri.

-argus

The Evil Thing
2008-08-01, 06:51 PM
Sins is certainly a good game but beware: there's no campaign mode so you'll end up spending your single player days fighting skirmishes unless you want to venture into multiplayer.

If you're a hermit like me then go for Homeworld 2 instead.

warty goblin
2008-08-01, 10:19 PM
Sins is certainly a good game but beware: there's no campaign mode so you'll end up spending your single player days fighting skirmishes unless you want to venture into multiplayer.

If you're a hermit like me then go for Homeworld 2 instead.

On the other hand, there's enough options in the skirmish set up mode to more than make up for that. Hundred planet multi-star system games with tech set to slow are a very different beast than 20 planet single star systems with tech on fast...

arguskos
2008-08-01, 10:28 PM
Good reminder there Evil Thing. I totally forgot about it, though warty goblin sorta got my response covered.

To the OP, Sins of a Solar Empire is totally worth picking up, and giving a shot. It's a fun game that didn't get all that much press as I recall, so go give it a try. :smallcool:

-argus

Ashen Lilies
2008-08-01, 11:59 PM
I'd second Giants: Citizen Kabuto. It's extremely fun/ny, and doesn't really fit into a genre. I'd define it as a strategic FPS with some RTS and racing levels. The different characters also provide different experiences. With the meccs, they have the firepower sufficient to make things an all out gun fest, but can easily get swarmed thanks to their low health, making playing with them a cross between, :smallmad: *buddabuddabuddabuddabudda BAM! wha-choom!* and, holy crap run! While Delphi presents another paradox, as she is a lot more sturdy and hard to kill, but has weaker weapons and spells that make you use a less direct approach. (usually meaning teleporting between formations of troops and blending them with your sword:smallamused:). Kabuto... Is just Kabuto, there isn't really anything to him more than that. So yeah, Giants: Citizen Kabuto is well worth it if you're looking for a fun game to play.

hajo
2008-08-03, 12:31 PM
Dungeon Siege should probably have been named Dungeon Crawl, but is still awesome.

There are also some fan-projects that use the DungeonSiege-engine, such as Ultima V: Lazarus (http://www.u5lazarus.com) and U6Project (http://www.u6project.com/), both of them enhanced remakes of Ultima 5 & 6.