PDA

View Full Version : PrC Search Cleric/Rogue

DareTheRogue
2008-08-01, 07:32 AM
I have been working on a character myself, but another player in my group is pushing to play a Cleric/Rogue and is looking for a PrC to go into. Any suggestions?

AstralFire
2008-08-01, 07:33 AM
As a rule of thumb, I hate prepared casters so I know little about them. But the PrC name "Temple Raider of Olidammara" comes to mind. How actually effective it is, I am unaware.

Shadowbane Stalker/Inquisitor are two PrCs which I think are Pally/Rogue multis, IIRC.

EDIT: Just checked.

Shadowbane Inquisitor is Pally/Rogue, Cleric can qualify easy, loses spellcasting something fierce though.

Shadowbane Stalker is Cleric/Rogue, Pally can qualify easy, doesn't gain much for it.

Both are LG, CAdv.

Temple Raider of Olidammara is a Rogue that can get some Paladin-esque casting. CDiv/Song&Silence, any Chaotic.

Psionic Dog
2008-08-01, 07:42 AM
Assuming this is 3.5 and assuming homebrew is considered, have you looked at the Giants Devine Trickster (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/5M5QGsJ5mpbLfAHduZG.html)?

DareTheRogue
2008-08-01, 07:42 AM
Well we have a problem of the Lawful Good alignment, he refuses it thus is being more trouble and refuses to go just one way, any other ideas? he would like some if not full casting progression and sneak attack. oh and he is most likely human... because the GM says so

trehek
2008-08-01, 09:02 AM
Sounds like a Shadowbane Stalker to me. Just dump the alignment restriction. Those are mostly stupid anyway.

DareTheRogue
2008-08-01, 09:16 AM
Yeah, the GM may or may not allow the alignment restriction to be dropped... unsure of that right now, so the search wold continue for a bit longer

Telonius
2008-08-01, 09:26 AM
Two other possibilities ...

Black Flame Zealot, CDiv. Non-good alignments only, also gains a death attack.
Divine Seeker, Players' Guide to Faerun. Seems to be more Rogue-y than Cleric-y.

Chronos
2008-08-01, 11:41 AM
The best option for a cleric/rogue isn't a prestige class at all. Be a human (or changeling), and take Able Learner (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Able_Learner,all) at first level. Take one level in the roguish class of your choice (Ninja is better than standard rogue, here, due to the Wis bonus to AC, but any of those classes will work), and then all the rest of your levels in Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric). Don't bother with any PrCs.

The net result:
You have six skill points per level.
All of the ninja's class skills (as well as all the cleric class skills and all knowledge skills) are effectively class skills forever, for you.
You have trapfinding.
You have almost full cleric spellcasting, being behind only one level (better than you'd get qualifying for almost any cleric/rogue PrC).

Frosty
2008-08-01, 12:09 PM
There's a prestige class from Complete Champion. Shadow-something of Pelor. I don't have books right now :smallfrown:

JeminiZero
2008-08-01, 10:47 PM
Don't forget this feat (you can find it on the crystalkeep feat list):

Sacred Outlaw [General] (DR357 p86)
Req: Ability to Turn/Rebuke Undead, Sneak Attack +2d6
Benefit: Add your effective Cleric level to your Rogue level for:
1. resolving Turning Checks & Turning Damage; &
2. to determine how many Sneak Attack dice you receive.

Thurbane
2008-08-01, 10:56 PM
Blackflame Zealot from CD and Skullclan Hunter from MH are worth considering, too...

kladams707
2008-08-15, 11:54 AM
There's a prestige class from Complete Champion. Shadow-something of Pelor. I don't have books right now :smallfrown:

Shadowspy I believe.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-08-15, 12:11 PM
Powers of Faerun Merchant Prince PRC (Nice for a PC who took the new and improved Mercantile Background in PGtF) mainly because it clearly states it can be tweaked to provide +1CL for a full caster like a Red Wizard instead of the default spellcasting to a noncaster. Agree with going Cloistered Cleric Variant already suggested.

The Psychic Rogue Variant might be interesting with only a few Rogue levels for the PC, slightly less power than a Psychic Warrior (15 first to fifth powers at L20 with 100 base PP)

Eldariel
2008-08-15, 12:13 PM
The best option for a cleric/rogue isn't a prestige class at all. Be a human (or changeling), and take Able Learner (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Able_Learner,all) at first level. Take one level in the roguish class of your choice (Ninja is better than standard rogue, here, due to the Wis bonus to AC, but any of those classes will work), and then all the rest of your levels in Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric). Don't bother with any PrCs.

The net result:
You have six skill points per level.
All of the ninja's class skills (as well as all the cleric class skills and all knowledge skills) are effectively class skills forever, for you.
You have trapfinding.
You have almost full cleric spellcasting, being behind only one level (better than you'd get qualifying for almost any cleric/rogue PrC).

This, or just a Cleric with Trickery- and Kobold-domains. That's already quite the skill list - Cleric + Knowledges + Search + Disable Device + Disguise + Bluff + Hide. Then just splash Ruathar for Spot, Listen, Survival and Move Silently. If you're a Changeling, you could pull this off through Able Learner + Emulate Race (Kobold) for total win. Actual Kobold is very solid too, going for the whole Dragonwrought +3 Int, +3 Wis-stuff.

Person_Man
2008-08-15, 12:13 PM
I'm a fan of the Skullclan Hunter (Miniature's Handbook).

Over ten levels, you gain: +3d6 Sneak Attack, your Sneak Attack works fully against and automatically effects Undead (no need for flanking or Dex denial), the ability to Track Undead with Knowledge religion, Immunity to Fear from Undead, Immunity to all disease, paralysis, ability drain, ability damage, energy drain, and you get permanent Protection from Evil (+2 AC, +2 Saves, immunity to charm and compulsion, cannot be touched by summoned creatures), and any weapon you wield counts as Ghost Touch and ignores DR from Undead.

Curmudgeon
2008-08-15, 08:25 PM
If your DM allows Dragon magazine feats you'll definitely want Sacred Outlaw. Then take as many Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) levels as you want.

At that point the question isn't about selecting a prestige class that works best with this combination, but selecting any prestige class that works well with either Rogue or Cleric abilities. You can take a level of Shadowdancer (and get Spring Attack as the next feat to make the heavy feat investment worthwhile); this naturally augments your Rogue's sneakiness.