PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Which spells can be potions?

Hal
2008-08-01, 04:12 PM
I was thinking that a potion of True Strike would be nice, but I realized that I don't know the rules for which spells can be made into potions. I didn't see anything specific on the SRD or the DMG errata (besides the "3rd level or lower" rule).

The Demented One
2008-08-01, 04:17 PM
Only spells that are third level or lower, have a target, and aren't personal range. That last one is why you can't make true strike potions.

Hal
2008-08-01, 04:20 PM
Only spells that are third level or lower, have a target, and aren't personal range. That last one is why you can't make true strike potions.

Where is that rule written? I can't find it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-01, 04:22 PM
The Demented One is demented... ehh I mean correct.:smalltongue:

The information can be found in teh feat section and in the Creating magic Items section.

You can create a potion of any 3rd-level or lower spell that you know and that targets one or more creatures.

The imbiber of the potion is both the caster and the target. Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions.

Hal
2008-08-01, 04:24 PM
Thanks! Looks like I'll have to get my +20 to attack some other way.

Gralamin
2008-08-01, 04:26 PM

I suggest a scroll of true strike + ranks in UMD. Only costs 50 25 gold.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-01, 04:27 PM

May I suggest a Sword of True Striking? :smallamused:

This is a joke in case anyone did not get that....

arguskos
2008-08-01, 04:30 PM
Get a Ring of constant effect True Strike. Also, a guaranteed way to make your DM cry is to use said ring with Spectral Hand and lots of stupid touch spells. Not saying I've done that or anything... :smallwink:

-argus

Siosilvar
2008-08-01, 04:32 PM
May I suggest a Sword of True Striking? :smallamused:

This is a joke in case anyone did not get that....

I thought we decided that would cost the same as a +10 enhancement bonus. So that's not really an option pre-epic.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-01, 04:35 PM
I thought we decided that would cost the same as a +10 enhancement bonus. So that's not really an option pre-epic.

I thought so too.... :smallsigh:

I guess there are things you really should not joke about, ever. :smallamused:

You could have quoted my whole post though...

Hal
2008-08-01, 04:36 PM
I suggest a scroll of true strike + ranks in UMD. Only costs 50 25 gold.

Well, my thought had been to use the Delay Potion feat with a potion of True Strike to get that nice +20 buff whenever necessary, but a scroll won't help with that. I figured a Beguiler with Arcane Strike needs all the hit assistance he can get.

New plan would seem to be in order.

And what the heck would a ring/wondrous item of True Strike run?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-01, 04:39 PM
And what the heck would a ring/wondrous item of True Strike run?

Continuous, about 2 million gp.

Hal
2008-08-01, 04:45 PM
Continuous, about 2 million gp.

And uses per day?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-01, 04:59 PM
And uses per day?

True Strike Gauntlets exists (MIC page 144) and are priced at 3500 gp and works once per day.

They only add the bonus though, no other benefits of True Strike.

Based on that price we can calculate the price of multiple uses per day:
17500 / (5 / # of Charges per day)

(Still only for the bonus.)

Frosty
2008-08-01, 05:03 PM
Really expensive to be honest. It'd be better if it were a swift action to activate.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-01, 05:06 PM
Really expensive to be honest. It'd be better if it were a swift action to activate.

Compared to ~2,000,000 it is rather cheap. :smalltongue:

Chronos
2008-08-01, 05:08 PM
And uses per day?That one's straightforward. You can turn any arcane spell of 3rd level or lower (I think that's the limit, but it definitely includes 1st-level spells) into an Eternal Wand.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-01, 05:11 PM
That one's straightforward. You can turn any arcane spell of 3rd level or lower (I think that's the limit, but it definitely includes 1st-level spells) into an Eternal Wand.

Yes, and it is priced at 820 gp for two uses a day.

(And yes, 3rd level or lower.)

Curmudgeon
2008-08-01, 05:17 PM
You don't need a potion of True Strike to have an automatic win. A potion of Glibness will let you talk your way to victory.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-01, 05:20 PM
You don't need a potion of True Strike to have an automatic win. A potion of Glibness will let you talk your way to victory.

"Lucky" Glibness is a personal spell then. :smallamused:

The point still stands though. :smallsigh:

Hal
2008-08-01, 05:20 PM
I don't own the MIC (a problem I hope to rectify soon), and neither does my DM, so I'm thinking Eternal Wands aren't an option. That's too bad.

A normal wand of True Strike should be around 750gp. Are there any feats for making wand use a swift action?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-01, 05:32 PM
Allowing metamagic feats would not help, since a quickened True Strike is a 5th level spell.

However, a quickened scroll would sell for 1125 gp if allowed.

thegurullamen
2008-08-01, 05:36 PM

No, it's a minor wondrous item.

Sword of True Strike
+20 to hit.
Requirements:
Caster level 1, True Strike
Strong Brokenation

Curmudgeon
2008-08-01, 05:47 PM
"Lucky" Glibness is a personal spell then. :smallamused:

The point still stands though. :smallsigh: Oops! I forgot the :smallwink: on that one, but that's the spell I'd pick if they allowed personal range spells as potions.

- - -

Anyway, on this topic, would you folks allow Animate Dead as a potion? The sticky part is this:
Whoever drinks the potion is the target of the spell. Does pouring a potion down a corpse's gullet count? If this worked it would create self-governing zombies, since they'd be considered the caster as well as the target of the spell.

Frosty
2008-08-01, 05:47 PM
You want strong brokenation? How about an item of Continuous Wraithstrike for like 48,000 gold?

FinalJustice
2008-08-01, 05:52 PM
Item Creation Guidelines are one of my favorite ways of bork the game. If allowed, they make it so easy.

Edit: Spelling mistakes...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-01, 05:53 PM
Anyway, on this topic, would you folks allow Animate Dead as a potion? The sticky part is this: Does pouring a potion down a corpse's gullet count? If this worked it would create self-governing zombies, since they'd be considered the caster as well as the target of the spell.

The easiest would be to rule that corpses do not drink, so Animate Dead would require an oil instead, which removes any worries about extremely boring zombies that just sit around like... well zombies. :smallwink:

Curmudgeon
2008-08-01, 05:58 PM
The easiest would be to rule that corpses do not drink, so Animate Dead would require an oil instead, which removes any worries about extremely boring zombies that just sit around like... well zombies. :smallwink: True, but then they don't fit the classic movie archetype. Now if I could just figure out how to make them hungry for brains ... :smallbiggrin:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-08-01, 06:03 PM
True, but then they don't fit the classic movie archetype. Now if I could just figure out how to make them hungry for brains ... :smallbiggrin:

Absolutely ghastly. A truly ghoulish idea. :smallcool:

But as long as they stay away from my popcorn...

Waspinator
2008-08-01, 06:08 PM
I've always wanted to make potions of Magic Missile just to see what would happen.

Collin152
2008-08-01, 06:10 PM
I've always wanted to make potions of Magic Missile just to see what would happen.

It tastes like internal bleeding.

Jack_Simth
2008-08-01, 09:07 PM
It's a no-save non-poison ingested direct-damage effect (that can affect incorporeal and ethereal creatures with no miss chance, if they find some way to drink it).

In a similar vein, you can make potions of Slow, Halt Undead (why?), Gentle Repose (if you can get a corpse to drink it - an oil, maybe?), Illusory Script, Suggestion, Rage, Hold Person, Deep Slumber, Sepia Snake Sigil (if you can get a writing to drink it - an oil, maybe?), Explosive Runes (if you can get a writing to drink it - an oil, maybe?), Dispel Magic, Rope Trick (if you can get a rope to drink it - an oil, maybe?), and quite a few others.

Aquillion
2008-08-01, 09:36 PM
Sepia Snake Sigil (if you can get a writing to drink it - an oil, maybe?), Explosive Runes (if you can get a writing to drink it - an oil, maybe?), Rope Trick (if you can get a rope to drink it - an oil, maybe?)

You can create a potion of any 3rd-level or lower spell that you know and that targets one or more creatures.

Potions of charm person are more funny. They make the drinker regard themselves as a trusted friend and ally.

Likewise, you can make a potion of Animal Messenger, but it causes the animal to carry a message for itself. Technically, by my reading of the spell:

Using some type of food desirable to the animal as a lure, you call the animal to you. It advances and awaits your bidding. You can mentally impress on the animal a certain place well known to you or an obvious landmark. The animal advances and awaits its own bidding. But since it is waiting for its bidding, it doesn't give itself any bidding, and ends up standing there like a lemon for the spell's entire duration (1 day/level).

Pandaren
2008-08-01, 09:48 PM
Dominate Person Potion, what fun.
The physically impossiblee without more magic.
"Fly"
*gets tossed into air*
"AUGHGHHGhh"

Jack_Simth
2008-08-01, 10:06 PM
Likewise, you can make a potion of Animal Messenger, but it causes the animal to carry a message for itself. Technically, by my reading of the spell:

The animal advances and awaits its own bidding. But since it is waiting for its bidding, it doesn't give itself any bidding, and ends up standing there like a lemon for the spell's entire duration (1 day/level).
There's an aspect of potions that you're missing that prevents this:

The character taking the potion doesn’t get to make any decisions about the effect —the caster who brewed the potion has already done so.
So if your cat drinks an Animal Messenger potion, it goes to a predetermined location.

Edit: Oh, and you get oils of things that target objects - see the Oil of Magic Stone, Magic Weapon, and Magic Vestments.

quiet1mi
2008-08-01, 10:12 PM
potion of charm person

need I say more...

Collin152
2008-08-01, 10:12 PM
So, a potion of Suggestion already has the suggestion built in?
Hmm...
I have an idea for a BBEG's puzzle-trap.

Hal
2008-08-01, 10:20 PM
"Fly"
*gets tossed into air*
"AUGHGHHGhh"

That would be the greatest gag/cursed treasure.

Jack_Simth
2008-08-01, 10:20 PM
So, a potion of Suggestion already has the suggestion built in?
That aspect usually comes up in the way of limitations compared to scrolls - it's not a potion of energy resistance, it's a potion of Fire Resistance, or a Potion of Frost Resistance, or whatever. Potions of Lessor Restoration are divided by which stat they help with, and so on.

But yes - a potion of Suggestion comes with a specific suggestion built into it at item creation. Makes for a very interesting "poison" to drop in someone's drink. Great for 5th level Wizards who are trying to dispose of political rivals in court - they make a suggestion to the local ruler (or the rival, or whoever) without casting a single spell in the presence of the target; it's all done far in advance.

Hmm...
I have an idea for a BBEG's puzzle-trap.
Do note that Suggestion permits a save, and as far as I'm aware, there's nothing that really says you don't get the save.

Collin152
2008-08-01, 10:51 PM
Do note that Suggestion permits a save, and as far as I'm aware, there's nothing that really says you don't get the save.

BBEG Lich Arch-Wizards have big enough dungeons for you to encounter potions with much higher save DC's than you could hope to make. By the time you could make the save, you're much further in the dungeon.

Aquillion
2008-08-01, 10:59 PM
BBEG Lich Arch-Wizards have big enough dungeons for you to encounter potions with much higher save DC's than you could hope to make. By the time you could make the save, you're much further in the dungeon.They can still save on a natural 20, though. So don't depend completely on it working (unless you want to roll behind the DM screen and cheat.)

Collin152
2008-08-01, 11:06 PM
They can still save on a natural 20, though. So don't depend completely on it working (unless you want to roll behind the DM screen and cheat.)

If I wanted to DM cheat that much, I wouldn't care about how a typical Suggestion potion works, would I?

Waspinator
2008-08-02, 01:43 AM
It tastes like internal bleeding.

"I attack the darkness.... of your intestines!"