PDA

View Full Version : London mini meetup, or london advice

YPU
2008-08-01, 05:51 PM
So, my girlfriend and me will be in London the 18 and 19th of august. Now I was wondering if there are any play grounders who would like to meet up. Even better is there a playgrounder that would like to meet up and serve as a guide for some time, that would be awesome.
And for those other still, do you have any suggestions on what we should do on those two days, anything a geek should not mind while in London? Anything that is hyped about but not worth it? all is welcome,

Yours,
Personally,
Undead.

Silent Hunter
2008-08-02, 05:31 AM
There's a big science fiction store in the Strand:

Scifi Collector (http://www.scificollector.co.uk/)

There's also a Doctor Who exhibition in Earl's Court, but you'll really need to book in advance.

Quite a few of the museums are free, BTW.

Adlan
2008-08-02, 05:38 AM
Go to the Museums, be wary, and don't be afraid to do toruisty stuff.

I don't go to london. I die.

happyturtle
2008-08-02, 05:39 AM
I liked the Eye and the Tate Modern.

Headless_Ninja
2008-08-02, 06:06 AM
Science Museum = awesome and free. That is all.

happyturtle
2008-08-02, 06:22 AM
Since you have only two days I strongly suggest choosing only one museum. You can easily walk yourself to exhaustion in a single museum, without seeing everything, so no point in rushing it to see bits of multiple museums when you can use the same time to see a lot more of a single one.

CrazedGoblin
2008-08-02, 06:43 AM
Science Museum = awesome and free. That is all.

id recommend the science museum, its great fun :smallbiggrin:

potatocubed
2008-08-02, 05:20 PM
I would say hello, but I'm going to be at Gencon on those two days. :smallsmile:

Look up the Sir John Soames museum - you can do a once-round in an afternoon or so and it's one of London's hidden gems.

Also, even if you're only here for a day, get an Oyster card. It's £3 + whatever money you put on it, but paper tickets cost about double what you'd pay on Oyster - they're a total rip-off.

EDIT: An Oyster card is a travel card that you swipe across touch sensors to use buses, trains, even boats I think.

Kaelaroth
2008-08-03, 06:48 AM
Not boats. At least, not the great, great majority of boats.

Just enjoy it, hang out. We're a nice city of silent, brooding psychos, the realms of pale people, under a smog-filled sky. The Tates are good, if you're an art fan, but they're lost on those who don't love it, please note. Avoid the Tower, and Buckingham Palace, are my suggestions.

Ethrael
2008-08-03, 07:10 AM
A walk along the Southback (riverside) at any time of day or night is great. I would be a guide but I'm greece atm.

Also, ^ You're back!

Kaelaroth
2008-08-03, 07:12 AM
Also, ^ You're back!

That I am, mon ami.

Arioch
2008-08-03, 07:45 AM
I prefer the Natural History museum, but it's really a matter of personal taste. If you're not an art lover, avoid the Tates and the V&A museum.

It's a big, old city, so there's lots to do. The British museum is always good - the world's best display of British grave-robbing. People from other countries can come and look at their heritage. I really like it.

Just be aware that, when it comes to distance, the London Underground map does not in any way conform to reality. It's simply a network of connections.

Silent Hunter
2008-08-05, 10:30 AM
Just be aware that, when it comes to distance, the London Underground map does not in any way conform to reality. It's simply a network of connections.

Indeed. A street map is a handy thing to have as well.

potatocubed
2008-08-05, 10:40 AM
Oh, oh, and don't go anywhere near Madame Tussauds. It's a total rip-off and you'll have wasted approximately seven years queueing to get in.

Kaelaroth
2008-08-05, 11:35 AM
Oh, oh, and don't go anywhere near Madame Tussauds. It's a total rip-off and you'll have wasted approximately seven years queueing to get in.

It is the biggest, cruellest rip-off ever. However, just a walk away is Oxford Street!

randman22222
2008-08-05, 11:36 AM
Who's this Madame? :smallconfused:

Kaelaroth
2008-08-05, 11:37 AM
Who's this Madame? :smallconfused:

Waxworks Museum. Very famous, containing graven images of just about everybody. For a huge price.

Charity
2008-08-05, 11:40 AM
I would say hello, but I'm going to be at Gencon on those two days. :smallsmile:

Look up the Sir John Soames museum - you can do a once-round in an afternoon or so and it's one of London's hidden gems.

Also, even if you're only here for a day, get an Oyster card. It's £3 + whatever money you put on it, but paper tickets cost about double what you'd pay on Oyster - they're a total rip-off.

EDIT: An Oyster card is a travel card that you swipe across touch sensors to use buses, trains, even boats I think.

Psst P3

Gen con is 28th - 31st August 2008 also, what days are you going?

Ashtar
2008-08-05, 11:52 AM
I'd say, go shopping on Camden Market. It's where you will find loads of crazy and weird stuff, clothes and what not. Totally worth it.

potatocubed
2008-08-05, 01:38 PM
Psst P3

Gen con is 28th - 31st August 2008 also, what days are you going?

Heh - I'm going to the one in Indianapolis. I may also go to the one in this country but I wasn't very impressed last year: is it in Reading again?

Charity
2008-08-06, 01:15 AM
I see, yeah it is in Reading uni again... and yeah it was pretty disorganised last year.