PDA

View Full Version : Blog Software Recommendations

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-08-01, 08:22 PM
I will be installing some blog software on a website soon. Unfortunately, I personally have never been much into the whole blog thing, so I have very little idea of the differences in some of the blog software packages.

I was wondering if anyone on the boards had the necessary experience to offer some recommendations. It will mostly be used for a single blog attached to a personal site, so it will not require heavy-duty multi-blogger capabilities. I'm gonna have to double check some things before I can comment on exact server details right now, though.

Thanks for any advice.

valadil
2008-08-01, 10:06 PM
Wordpress seems to be the standard blog software. It uses PHP and MySQL, and if your webserver doesn't have those it's time for a new webserver. I like Wordpress well enough. It doesn't take much to go from installation to blogging. I'm not a big fan of their control panel, but that's just personal taste.

If your blog gets big, you'll definitely want to look into configuring it for efficiency. Digg and reddit kill wordpress pretty easily.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-08-02, 05:31 PM
Actually, I just found out that the web host has a Wordpress bundled into their optional tools. So installation won't be a problem at if we go with that.

But, yeah, I'm not gonna use something just 'cause it's there when there might be something better.

[hr]
EDIT:

Well, I just found Weblog Matrix (http://www.weblogmatrix.org). It's got a pretty nice interactive table comparing all sorts of software. Using that, I've narrowed the options down to B2Evolution or Wordpress.

Any thoughts?