PDA

View Full Version : Spiders

Jayngfet
2008-08-01, 08:58 PM
Tiger Spiders
Tiger spider's get their name from their distinctive stripes. They have the ability to telepathicly bond with any being they deem suitable(and in any spider worshiping culture are paired with clerics and druids or particularly powerful wizards and sorcerers). The two can communicate telepathically at a maximum distance of one mile.

A spider may join anyone it deems suitable. They can have one partner at a time and count as an animal companion, familiar, and paladins mount.

Tiger spiders speak sylvan in addition to whatever language their partner speaks.

There are two types of tiger spider.

White Tiger

Size/Type:Medium Magical beast
Hit Dice:1D10
Initiative:+3
Speed:40ft.
Armor Class:13(+3 DEX)
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+1
Attack:Bite +4 melee
Full Attack:Bite +4 melee
Space/Reach:5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:web, Spell like abilities
Special Qualities:Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +0
Saves:Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +0
Abilities:Str 8, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills:Climb +11, Hide +7*, Jump +0*, Spot +4*
Feats:Weapon finesse.
Environment: Cold forests, underground.
Organization:Solitary or colony (2-5) except when with partner(see above)
Challenge Rating:1
Treasure:None
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Good
Advancement:-
Level Adjustment:+1

Combat

These spiders are the least aggressive, preferring to use their spell like abilities in support during combat.

Web: This works like the monstrous spider ability of the same ability

Spell-Like Abilities

3/Day—Mage hand, mending. 1/Day-Cure Light wounds Obscuring mist, Darkness, Light.

I'll get to work on as characters and Black tigers later.

Baron Corm
2008-08-02, 02:41 AM
As characters? With LA +1, that spider gets huge stat pluses and no stat minuses, in addition to SLAs. Ramp that LA up IMO.

Jayngfet
2008-08-02, 02:53 AM
Maybe I should dial down a few stats...

Edit: I played around with the stats a bit, better?

Baron Corm
2008-08-02, 03:20 AM
White Tiger Spiders As Characters

-2 Strength +6 Dexterity +2 Wisdom -2 Charisma
- A lot, around levels 0-3. Caster level equal to HD.
- LA +1

Just wrote that to look at... easily stronger than the drow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm#drow) at LA +2. IMO the drow is a weak LA +2 (and the hobgoblin is a weak +1), so I would make the LA +2 and leave it at that, if you don't want to sacrifice too much on the guy. It would be a very fair +2 - LA really sucks to have.

However, in the PHB's opinion, it should be LA +3 or higher or have parts of it toned down further.

Edit: Yeah, technically it has racial hit dice, making it hurt even more, but the PHB seems to value RHD pretty highly - take a look at the grimlock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/grimlock.htm). Lose 2 level's worth of class features, and 2 LA on top of that. So in the PHB's opinion, still +3 or higher, but by my scale, could stay at +1 or +2. +2 if you do the thing elans do and make a white tiger spider with 1 HD drop the first HD as a character.

Jayngfet
2008-08-02, 12:17 PM
I thought having one hit dice means you lose that when you take a class level?

I think detect magic could be sacrificed, since I'm aiming for +1.

boomwolf
2008-08-02, 12:45 PM
easily stronger than the drow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm#drow)

Comparing to things that suck as hard as kobolds do is not a valid option. (ant to anyone who is about to say "but kobolds don't suck", you are WRONG. every playable kobold build would have been better off with human, elf or catfolk instead. and they are usually cheesy.)

You are however wrong that they need to be LA +2. its better off as +3 due to the fact they provide massive magical backup. (I mean, at low-levels that some sweet healing, and even better if some of the party are undead.)

To turn it to +2 remove the "evil" spells around, to turn it to +1 remove the evils, make the 3/day into 1/day and the at will to 3/day. he can simply magic too much as it is.

BTW: single RHD is replaced by the first class level. EVERYTHING has RHD. even humans do (1 Humanoid RHD.)

Jayngfet
2008-08-02, 01:09 PM
Changed it around some more, I was going to add darkvision, would that turn this from a highish +1 into a +2?