PDA

View Full Version : Image Editing on a Mac

The Demented One
2008-08-01, 09:52 PM
Hey, I just switched over to a MacBook from Windows, and I'm wondering if there's any free image editing program I can get for it. I'm looking for something lightweight, along the lines of Paint on Windows. Anyone have any ideas?

Pandaren
2008-08-01, 10:00 PM
Hey, I just switched over to a MacBook from Windows,

Why?

Just kidding. But only a bit.

valadil
2008-08-01, 10:08 PM
Why?

Just kidding. But only a bit.

For a better operating system of course.

Try the Gimp. It's more of a photoshop replacement than an MSPaint replacement. But it's free and awesome.

Pandaren
2008-08-01, 10:13 PM
For a better operating system of course.

Try the Gimp. It's more of a photoshop replacement than an MSPaint replacement. But it's free and awesome.

Better operating system? Since when? Last time I checked, people got MAC's when they where trying to be an artist or already where a photographer.

I should probably stop before this turns into a Mac vs. PC debate.

13_CBS
2008-08-01, 10:29 PM
As posted above Gimp is probably your best bet. It's free and it seems to do a lot of what Photoshop can do. If you've used Photoshop a lot before, though, it may take some getting used to.

Dave Rapp
2008-08-01, 10:36 PM
*puts duct tape over Leoman and Valadil's mouths* -_-;

I concur on the gimp front here. I use it for special effects in my comic and I find it's easily as useful as photoshop, minus a tool or two.

I bet if you looked hard enough you could find someone who pirated a mac version of MS Paint. (would that even count as piracy? dunno.)

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-08-02, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't consider GIMP "lightweight, along the lines of Paint". And the whole X11 environment can be pretty confusing, especially if you're trying to get used to the basic Mac stuff.

I don't have much in the way of direct suggestions, but if you might be able to find a freeware paint like program on the Downloads section of the Apple website.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/imaging_3d/

Edit:
Found this:

I think Acorn (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/imaging_3d/acorn.html) got a decent review in MacWorld. That might be more up your alley. It's shareware, though. I'm not sure what restrictions might be placed on it if you don't cough up the dough.