PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Mystic Knight - Arcane Controller/Leader

LoneGamer
2008-08-02, 12:06 AM
This is another approach to the Arcane Controller. Not afraid to enter melee, the mystic knight combines arcane and martial in a manner similar to the swordmage. Unlike swordmages, however, the mystic knight focuses on controlling the battlefield and bolstering his allies, though he can defend if called upon. His specialty is inflicting conditions upon enemies with spells and using his sword techniques to make those conditions last longer.

So far, I only have class features and level 1 powers, but as I receive feedback I'll build it up further.

Mystic Knight (4e) (http://lonegamer.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/mystic-knight-4e.pdf)

Originally, Debilitating Strike was going to be a class feature, but I realized that would make the class too powerful. Also, I need to come up with better sub-Leader abilities and rip off from Cleric and Warlord less.

Shadow_Elf
2008-08-02, 11:47 PM
I really like the concept alot, but I think some aspects of it are overpowered and some are underpowered. I read it awile ago, but the only thing that comes to mind is that Piercing Strike is a bit powerful, and that the daily power that dazes them is underpowered. Good job though. I've not tried anything harder than a paragon path or epic destiny, but I appreciate the effort that has to go into every power.

pup3k
2008-08-03, 07:37 PM
I really like it but:

Just a thought with Icy Caltrops, you might think about adding a clause about an enemy choosing to move half speed to avoid the damage.
I don't think it would really change the power level too much.

I agree that Dazzling flourish is underpowered. (No reason to take it if you have Lightning Feint)

I see that Piercing Strike is very similar to the Cleric Prayer Cascade of Light. (Thus I think it's okay to keep)

I'm not sure I like Blind. I'm assuming that you tried to use Sleep as a template for it, but Sleep is widely considered an overpowered spell. It would be a little better if there was a build-up to being blinded, but there really isn't any logical condition that comes before Blind.

Instead you might do dazed, and if they fail the first save move onto stunned. Not quite as bad as sleep, which knocks you unconcious. And on a failed save you could just be dazed until the end of the caster's next turn.

EDIT: I'm not sure that's any better than the actual Sleep ability

Tengu_temp
2008-08-03, 07:58 PM
Spellblade - is that a bonus to attack or damage?

Distracting Strike - too good. Compare Piercing Strike, the only PHB weapon-based at-will power that doesn't target AC.

Frost Caltrops - better than Scorching Burst.

Illuminating Flame - better than Lance of Faith.

Thunderclap - way too powerful for a level 1 encounter power.

Sorry, but this class is seriously overpowered.

pup3k
2008-08-03, 08:11 PM
Tengu has a point, maybe move Ice Caltrops to an encounter power, delay Thunderclap until a later level fix Distracting Strike, I'm thinking maybe just make it an attack vs. AC, that should level it out a bit.

However Illuminating Strike is actually less powerful than Lance of Faith. Lance of Faith gives them a bonus to their next attack, Illuminating Strike gives them a bonus on their next attack until the end of your next turn. However you probably should cut the range a little bit.

LoneGamer
2008-08-12, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the input. I've been overwhelmed with exams and final projects so I couldn't think everything through properly. I'm going to work on some revisions today.

Edea
2008-08-12, 11:22 AM
Spellblade: I think that's a bonus to the attack roll. It needs to be reduced to +1 (most of the other static attack roll boosting mechanisms I've seen in 4e shy away from anything higher than that).

Distracting Strike: Just make the power target AC, then it's pretty ok. Either that, or get rid of the marking side effect.

Debilitating Strike: HOLY ****, no. Delete that entirely, do NOT make at-will or encounter powers that interact with the saving throw mechanics. That should be almost exclusively the realm of Daily powers. Wizards would actually pump Cha, and para-multi this in a heartbeat.

Frost Caltrops: This is Scorching Burst on a power creep. The element choice is better, and it comes equipped with a side effect (though it -is- entry only, rather than also dealing damage if you start off in the effect area on your turn; that would've been too powerful). Actually, it seems like something WotC would make for a Wizard in an upcoming handout, to appease people who got bored with the previously available powers. Frankly I don't see much of a problem with it.

Illuminating Flame: Range goes up, but the side effect only lasts for one turn (LoF doesn't seem to expire, I tried finding if the errata fixed that but it seems like with LoF you can hold off on making the attack until later and still get the power bonus). Also Fire-element instead of Radiant (Radiant > Fire). Not seeing a problem, here, either.

Lightning Feint: Wrathful Thunder +1; the weapon type is going to matter more than which ability bonus you're using for damage. Not sure that's a good idea since the class it came from is also a Leader type.

Thunderclap: See Spinning Sweep (Fighter power). Again, the stat modifying damage here is not a relevant balancing factor to the power; this is doing too much at once for Level 1.

Weapon Melt: Seems to be an adaptation of Ray of Enfeeblement. In exchange for necrotic damage and an average of 2 damage points on a hit, it hits a burst 1, uses acid damage, and targets Ref instead of Fort. Not sure I like it too much, but this isn't terribly out of whack, mainly because it doesn't exclude allies in the burst radius.

Blind: Not as good as Sleep; frankly, that's all that matters, especially since this is Daily and it still hits allies in the burst radius. Fine as-is.

Starsinger
2008-08-12, 12:55 PM
Class Features
I assume the Healing spell is supposed to be weak, so I'll leave that alone.

Spell blade is nice, but I can see it being a bit out of place. It seems like more the purview of a Defender or a Striker.

At Will
Debilitating Strike is awfully nice. Suggestion? If you're going to have an at-will give a penalty to saves? Make it 1. Static, always and forever. It's relevant without being so strong on an at will.

Distracting Strike is nice, why is it on a Controller/Leader? This really seems like you want Spellblade to be Sub Defender like the Warlord is.

Frost Caltrops blows Scorching burst out of the water. Also, you'll notice that you gave Mystic Knights almost the equivalent of a wizard level 1 encounter. I certainly wouldn't mind Frost Caltrops over Icy Terrain...

Illuminating Flame is Lance of Faith with longer range. Which doesn't sit well with me.

Encounter
And immediately after we have Healing Flame, which is similar to the cleric's Healing Strike only range 10 instead of melee.

Lightning Feint is nice. No real complaints this time.

Thunder clap is pretty strong...

Weapon Melt? Wow.. Weakened is a rather powerful status effect to do in an area... not sure how well it's balanced by hitting your allies, but I'm wary of this one.

Daily
Blind seems rather nice. Big area, -5 to hit is kind of a big deal..

Dazzling Flourish seems a bit under powered for a daily.

Light the Target is very nice, I'm actually gonna say it's a bit too nice.

And Piercing Strike is Cascade of Light melee sized, not a big problem to me.