PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Fortress

SolkaTruesilver
2008-08-02, 02:17 AM
I finally managed to dig a little trough it's Difficulty Cliff! Finally!!

I love the new version. It allows you to search for peticular elements you want to have in your fortress, in the whole world. Looking for a magma pipe? No problem, just put it in your selection, and you'll get a proper starting location!

Anyway, I am halfway trough my first year, and there are some.. questions I would like to ask to the more knowledgeable crowd here.

1) Can ballista/catapults/crossbowdwarves shoot at different Z-levels than they are?

2) Since my fortress is initially located relatively high, will I have to dig deep to divert a water flow to flood the ground, since I cannot make water go up?

thanks!

Gralamin
2008-08-02, 02:21 AM
I'm also fairly new to the game, but you can use Screw Pumps (http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Pump) to raise water levels.

Maxymiuk
2008-08-02, 03:00 AM
Yes, projectile weapons can shoot at different z-levels, though I believe they still need a line of sight on the target.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-08-02, 03:13 AM
Great... 'cause I found a place where the mountains is shaped in a V (the V is pointing inward the mountains, so there are 2 hilltops sorrounding it). I placed the opening of my colony there, and I planned on using both as.. err.. guntowers? A self-sufficient garnison, with beds and weapons, that could shoot bolts from afar.

Is there a good firing arc on the siege weapons? Or it's straight line?

Maxymiuk
2008-08-02, 04:13 AM
Hmm, ok, now that I've refreshed my memory on how those things work...

Ballistae can't be shot across z-levels (unless by accident). However, they do travel until they hit an obstacle - I usually set them up at the end of a long, channel-ridden tunnel to lure in sieges.

Catapults fire in a high arc, so the best place for them is behind walls or battlements, where their operators can't even be seen by the enemy.

Crossbowmen apparently can fire across z-levels only from behind fortifications. So your guard tower is still perfectly viable. I'd recommend removing any ramps leading up to the hilltops and then lining the resulting cliff with fortifications. Or, better yet, in order to protect your troops from inclement weather/sunlight hollow out the "legs" of the V and turn the outer wall layer into fortifications, creating a bunker of sorts.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-08-03, 04:15 AM
Lol.. I've just read the Gold (http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Gold) page in the DF Wiki. I went there because I just found a vein of gold, and I was wondering what to do with it. I was surprised at the suggestion of PAVING ROAD WITH IT!!! :smallcool:

loopy
2008-08-03, 11:36 AM
Lol.. I've just read the Gold (http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Gold) page in the DF Wiki. I went there because I just found a vein of gold, and I was wondering what to do with it. I was surprised at the suggestion of PAVING ROAD WITH IT!!! :smallcool:

Did the Wizard of Oz teach you nothing? :smallbiggrin: