PDA

View Full Version : Time together as a team

NerfTW
2008-08-02, 11:05 AM
We now know exactly how much time has passed! According to today's comic, the scene in Origin occured about two years ago. In the book, it occured eight months before they entered the dungeon. That means they've been a team for about 1 year, 4 months.

Subtract the 3 month period after they split up, and the fact that the Azure city battle lasted only a day, and we have about 1 year for the events from the begining of the strip to the point where the Nale replacing Elan story ended.

That's actually a bit longer than I estimated. I had that time period pegged as no more than six months.

Lissou
2008-08-02, 12:35 PM
We now know exactly how much time has passed! According to today's comic, the scene in Origin occured about two years ago. In the book, it occured eight months before they entered the dungeon. That means they've been a team for about 1 year, 4 months.

Subtract the 3 month period after they split up, and the fact that the Azure city battle lasted only a day, and we have about 1 year for the events from the begining of the strip to the point where the Nale replacing Elan story ended.

That's actually a bit longer than I estimated. I had that time period pegged as no more than six months.

Doesn't it say that the guy was stolen from "abour two years ago"? Even not mentionning the fact that it could be 8 months or 15 months or something, it only means that Haley was still in the guild. For all we know, she could have left the guild months after that guy signing for protection.

So it's a "it can't have been more than 2 years or so" thing, not "it is definitely 2 years ago".

SPoD
2008-08-02, 01:36 PM
Yeah, Haley robbing from Grubwiggler occurred about two years ago, but that is not a scene depicted in "On the Origins of PCs".

Haley DOES steal from a house, but it seems to be a fairly ordinary noble's estate, with paned windows and an outer wall (and no secret passageway), guarded by ordinary human guards (not flesh golems or magical wards). It is the last theft she commits for the guild, meaning that the two robberies of Grubby's castle took place before that time.

If she robbed Grubby the day before she left the Thieves' Guild, then we have a "time together as a team" (TTAAT) of about a year, as you indicated. If, however, she robbed Grubby six months before leaving the guild, then we have a TTAAT of six months. If she robbed him 11 months before leaving the guild, we have a TTAAT of only 1 month.

In short, we know precious little more than we knew before this comic: that the Order has been together no more than a year at the start of the battle of Azure City.

disorder
2008-08-02, 02:17 PM
^^^ What SPoD said.

Also, the graph in #489 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0489.html) gives a much more unambiguous timeline: Roy met Belkar in March of 1183 and died a little over one year later.

NerfTW
2008-08-02, 02:18 PM
Phoooey. You're right. I double checked the book. For some reason I thought it was definitely the Grubby's mansion, but now I can't see where I got that idea.