PDA

View Full Version : Spellcaster Feat

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-08-02, 01:19 PM
Okay, I just hit L15 with my Sorceress, and I need another brain on this conundrum. I am in need of an idea for a feat.

Classes:
Fey 2 / Sorceress 7 / Stormcaster 6
STR 10 , INT 14 , WIS 14 , DEX 18 , CON 16 , CHA 28
Feats:
Explosive Spell , Energy Mage (Sonic)* , Hunter Mage (Constructs)* , Energy Sub (Sonic)** , Arcane Strike , Energy Sub (Electricity)

* = Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved
** = Houserule; we do not use the re-printed Energy Sub (Nerf) from Complete Arcane.

I was originally going to take Born of the Three Thunders; but, when looking at what I have, I may not get a great benefit from it. My other thought was taking Leadership.

AmberVael
2008-08-02, 01:39 PM
You could take a reserve feat. Not only would it add a little ability that you could use infinitely, but it would also give +1 caster level to a spell with a certain descriptor.
As Stormcaster heavily focuses on air, water, electricity, and sonic, AND you have two substitution feats, I would assume that any spell you have is one of those four.
As such, you should consider:

Aquatic Breath: not a bad feat if you're around water a lot. I'm not sure how many water spells you have though. +1 to water spells.

Borne Aloft: Eh. Mini fly. Not great. +1 to air spells.

Clap of Thunder: You already have this. The only difference is that you don't have to expend a spell slot to do this if you get the feat. +1 sonic spells.

Drowning Glance: It's okaaay... not great. Fatigue/exhaust someone for a round. +1 water spells.

Hurricane Breath: Fun spell. Not amazing, but certainly unique (which is what I look for in a reserve feat. As a sorcerer you need varying abilities) Could come in handy, and gives a +1 to air spells.

Storm Bolt: Zap. +1 electric spells.

Wind Guided Arrows: Here's one I'd use (maybe more for lower level though). Immediate action to give a +2 or -2 to a ranged weapon's attack roll. The ability isn't amazing, but it is defensive, offensive, and an immediate action. Stacking on more actions is a good thing: and you don't have Quicken Spell. +1 Air spells.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-08-02, 01:47 PM
thanks for the ideas, I do appreciate it.

-Aquatic Breath: Kinda already can breathe underwater thanks to some planning.

- Borne aloft: I already have flight at 60' / good maneuverability (Fey)

- Unfortunately, the reserve feats, both Arcane and Divine, have been renounced in this campaign; not allowed.

I like the idea of Wind Guided Arrows; to give me something other than my spells. I do, however, have a Staff of Smiting (same as the Mace of Smiting, except that I am proficient); is there a good *simple* transmutation or polymorph spell that I could whip off and be actually effective with that?

thegurullamen
2008-08-02, 02:15 PM
How about Arcane Thesis (Lightning Bolt) or some other AoE spell? It'll make Explosive Spell cheaper, especially when paired with Energy Sub.

Heighten Spell is always a solid choice for Sorc's.

spamoo
2008-08-02, 02:46 PM
Heighten Spell is always a solid choice for Sorc's.
^Agreed.
Also, you could always take Extra Spell or Extra Slot from Complete Arcane. Extra spells are always useful.

Arbitrarity
2008-08-02, 04:30 PM
Practiced Spellcaster (Sorceror)? Makes up for the lost caster levels from fey HD, though only gives +2 here.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-08-02, 05:41 PM
Definitely some good ideas; Practiced Spellcaster is good =D Thanks a lot for the assistance on this, I do appreciate it! :biggrin:

AmberVael
2008-08-02, 05:43 PM
Practiced Spellcaster (Sorceror)? Makes up for the lost caster levels from fey HD, though only gives +2 here.

Actually, Stormcaster loses a level at 1st level, so you could make up for that too.
Practiced spellcaster would be pretty handy- I'd get that. +3 to caster level? Sign me up!

Chronos
2008-08-02, 08:42 PM
How about Arcane Thesis (Lightning Bolt) or some other AoE spell? It'll make Explosive Spell cheaper, especially when paired with Energy Sub.Explosive Spell is a poor choice to use with Lightning Bolt. It sends things to the nearest point outside of the AoE, which for a Lightning Bolt will only be five feet away. It'll knock things to the side, not clear to the end of the line.

thegurullamen
2008-08-02, 08:59 PM
Good point. Unless of course the enemies are in a line in a five foot wide hallway that leads directly into a pit of lava thirty feet below.

Explosive FireLightning-or-Thunderball? Spell level 5.

Collin152
2008-08-02, 09:16 PM
Good point. Unless of course the enemies are in a line in a five foot wide hallway that leads directly into a pit of lava thirty feet below.

Explosive FireLightning-or-Thunderball? Spell level 5.

Ten foot hallway.
Line effects are in the intersections, not the squares.
As I recall.

thegurullamen
2008-08-02, 11:33 PM
Ten foot hallway.
Line effects are in the intersections, not the squares.
As I recall.

A line-shaped spell shoots away from you in a line in the direction you designate. It starts from any corner of your square and extends to the limit of its range or until it strikes a barrier that blocks line of effect. A line-shaped spell affects all creatures in squares that the line passes through.

You could blast from the northwest corner of your square and end in the northeastern corner of a square twenty-four units away, resulting in a 5 ft. wide line effect.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-08-03, 12:38 PM
I also have a rod of Sculpt Spell 1st-6th; so I do have the option of making the spell into a Cone or Ball shape (thank Mielikki for a pair of 'Casting Gloves of Dexterity +4' [worth 64k GP]), and then stacking Explosive on top of that.

Recently, in our own Tomb of Horrors, we went up against a CR18 Swarm, used a Explosive Lightning Bolt, Sculpted it into a Cone (rod in casting glove), and then Subb'ed it to Fire (using another Rod in a separate casting glove), and just annihilated it. 75% of the swarm was killed using the spell, and since it was Explosive, the rest of it dispersed. Since it does not say that I cannot activate multiple rods along with a feat that I possess. :smallsmile: