PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Building dwarf fighter

Baskineli
2008-08-02, 01:52 PM
Hello,

I am tired of playing a wizard, and would like to play something that fights with pointy sticks. I thought of a dwarven fighter, but not limited to. The idea is to build a fun character, not pun-pun.

Basicly, I want to build a damage machine which can take a lot of punishment. We are playing a feat-intensive game, thus we gain a feat almost every level, except on 5, 9, 13 and 17.

I don't need a whole build up to level 20, something to level 12 would do it.

Please help the ex-wizard-player to build a fighting machine? :)

Thank you!

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-02, 01:53 PM
Do you have access to Tome of Battle? And if not what books do you have access to?

Baskineli
2008-08-02, 02:56 PM
Tome of Battle is not allowed. Allowed books are the Complete series, as well as Races series (and all PHB and DMG of course).

In addition, here is the list of the number of the feats we get:
L F R
1 1 2
2 1 1
3 1 0
4 1 1
5 0 0
6 1 1
7 1 0
8 1 1

L: Level
F: Number of fighter feats per level
R: Number of regular feats per level

This means that at level 8 the fighter will have 13(!) feats.

AslanCross
2008-08-02, 05:33 PM
Since ToB isn't allowed, best way might be to go ubercharger. Get a two-handed weapon of your choice (typically greatsword due to higher average damage), and make sure you get Leap Attack (CAdv) and Shock Trooper (CWar) and their prerequisites.

Since you have 13 feats, you have a lot of other options.

If you want a little more variety, there are also a lot of Two-Weapon style feats in Complete Warrior. Anvil of Thunder sounds about right for a dwarf, though you could also take a heavy two-handed bludgeoning weapon and take Three Mountains for extra stunning power.

Lightning Mace gives you an extra attack every time you threaten a critical with dual-wielded light maces, so that might be worth looking into as well.

If you prefer to be more interesting than effective, the Bear Fang style feat could work too: If you dual wield an axe and a dagger and hit with both, you could start a grapple as a free action and can attack with the dagger once more that round (you drop your axe, though). Earth's Embrace could add damage to that grapple (extra 1d12 when pinning an opponent).

de-trick
2008-08-02, 05:43 PM
id say try to get into deepwarden so you can dump your dex, and also put your con to good use, if you get armor mastery or mithral armor you could increase your ac by a bit

Baskineli
2008-08-02, 05:56 PM
id say try to get into deepwarden so you can dump your dex, and also put your con to good use, if you get armor mastery or mithral armor you could increase your ac by a bit

Deepwarden? What book?

AmberVael
2008-08-02, 05:57 PM
I'm going to say you should build a Complete Warrior Samurai.
Put your best ability score in Cha to make up for the dwarf's penalty, focus on your Dex score so you can dual wield nicely and for armor class, and then get a good Intelligence so you can have more skill points for charismatic skills.

Okay, I'm just messing with you. Now really.
*cough*
Seeing as you get so many freakin' feats, I'd say going Fighter might not be the best idea. With those feats and another class you could be super effective. Since you want melee and Dwarf, the obvious choice is Barbarian. Con based Rage (super long rage times!) the best HD (with dwarf con score), and some other various goodies. Combine that with all your feats, and you'll be able to get an Ubercharger Barbarian who rages all day long and cleaves through mountains.
Overpowered? No, not really. But certainly par for the course and likely nicely optimized.
If you still want more feats, I'd recommend going Fighter 2 and then switching barbarian the rest of the way.

de-trick
2008-08-02, 06:29 PM
Deepwarden? What book?

Races of stone, if you take the dwarfen fighter levs from that book you can get weapon focus for all axes, and D12 hp and a couple other things

u can find the deepwarden as a excerpt here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040807a&page=4)