PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Maw - what does it DO!?

SadisticFishing
2008-08-03, 12:34 AM
This skill confuses me.

If it does what I read it as, that being, anyone who ends up in the middle, you can teleport, and do damage to..

Doesn't that mean you instantly kill anything that doesn't have immunity to all energy damage?

Otherwise, when it says "pulled into the middle", does that only mean pulled from the skill itself? And if so, why does it leave the Effect, and not just have that part of the skill?

/confused

RTGoodman
2008-08-03, 01:47 AM
Okay, here's what Elemental Maw does.

1. You make an attack roll against every creature (including allies, since it doesn't say "each enemy") in an Area Burst 4 (which is a 9x9 area, since it's 4 squares from the origin/center in each direction), with a center square that's within 20 squares of you.

2. If you HIT a target, it takes some damage and gets pulled 2 squares toward the center square (which is the "origin"). If you MISS a target, it takes 1/2 of the normal (6d6 + Int) damage and DOESN'T get pulled 2 squares. Repeat this for every creature in the burst.

3. The ENTIRE AREA becomes difficult terrain (with all the problems that causes) until the end of your next turn.

4. The Origin square (the one in the center) becomes a "vortex of energy" until the end of your next turn. Any creature pulled* into that square until the end of your next turn takes an extra 3d6 + Int damage of whatever type you want from the list, and then you teleport that creature to any square you want within 20 squares.

5. Any creatures that you teleported when they were pulled into the "vortex" arrive there prone and dazed until the end of your next turn.

Does that clear up your confusion? If not, tell me what specifically confuses you about it.

*Note it does say "pulled" into the square, so RAW I don't think the teleport effect affects creatures already in the origin square, creatures that walk through it, or creatures that are pushed there by other powers. I think it'd be a reasonable houserule for those to work, though.

NecroRebel
2008-08-03, 01:54 AM
I'm inclined to agree with rtg0922, except for point 4. The wording does just say pulled, after all, so presumably if you were opposite from an enemy across the vortex and used a pull power on them, they could get yanked in, too. Also, it would seem to me that being at the epicenter and getting hit by the power would actually pull you, though you'd just get pulled 2 squares towards the square you currently occupy.

Mind you, by the strictest possible reading of the rules, it doesn't appear that getting pushed, slid, shifted, or otherwise moving into the vortex teleports you. This would probably be a pretty reasonable house rule, though, as it would seem to fit common sense and the fluff of the power.

RTGoodman
2008-08-03, 02:06 AM
Also, it would seem to me that being at the epicenter and getting hit by the power would actually pull you, though you'd just get pulled 2 squares towards the square you currently occupy.

Actually, yeah, being in the center and being hit would still mean you're "pulled" toward the origin, even if you're already there, so that would work. Good call on that. Of course, in defiance of common sense, if the target is in the origin square to begin with and you MISS it with the attack, it won't get teleported! :smallsigh:

The wording does just say pulled, after all, so presumably if you were opposite from an enemy across the vortex and used a pull power on them, they could get yanked in, too.
[...]
Mind you, by the strictest possible reading of the rules, it doesn't appear that getting pushed, slid, shifted, or otherwise moving into the vortex teleports you. This would probably be a pretty reasonable house rule, though, as it would seem to fit common sense and the fluff of the power.

Yeah, that's what I meant with the footnote. "Pull" powers specifically work, though the others might or might not. I'd definitely allow any movement through it to work, though - as you say, that's certainly meets common sense and the fluff. I'm checking the errata now to see if it mentions any change to the wording.

EDIT: Nope, no errata that I can find.

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-03, 02:18 AM
It sucks you in, then spits you out. Like Mega Maid. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKYTf993c2c&feature=related)

Mewtarthio
2008-08-03, 10:35 AM
Of course, in defiance of common sense, if the target is in the origin square to begin with and you MISS it with the attack, it won't get teleported! :smallsigh:

That makes sense. Otherwise, you could automatically deal vortex damage and a severely nasty teleport to any one creature just by centering the power on them.

seedjar
2008-08-03, 11:59 AM
Haven't seen it, and haven't played a lot of 4ed, but just to play devil's advocate: Say a player willingly moves through the 9x9 space occupied by the maw, but the attack fails. Shouldn't the player be able to move through the effect successfully (albeit hindered by the difficult condition of the terrain?) I think that "pulled" might refer to being moved by the maw; being hit be the attack seems to be the natural choice of where to distinguish whether or not an affected character loses footing. I'd say if you're in the center square, being teleported or not is a matter of whether or not you saved against the attack.
~Joe

PS - (End useless non-insight)