PDA

View Full Version : Planar Earth [3.5E]

black dragoon
2008-08-03, 10:25 AM
alright, I know i'm still with the old rules this is a personal choice so sue me.
Anyways a friend and myself were thinking of a rather intriguing D20 modern setting that mixed the oddness of planescape and the thrill of gunplay as follows:

The old man withered and scarred from his years in the Zone sat down upon the wooden looking slowly at each of the wide-eyed children...not all of them were human. It was a sign of the times he thought to himself.
"children." he growled. his voice low and gravelly." THe world was not always this way once in the time before you and me my father had seen a world so diffrent and so beautiful. He told when I was young of how there had been no magic and how there was only the humans no one else. The worlds were seperate and distinct then slowly at first magic returned. At first we mere humans shunned such things then steadily we grew to use it in every aspect of our lives. that was till one day when a group of powerful mages who felt the urge to tamper with the very fabric that makes the world built the Tower and within it's walls began insane expierements. One day though they went to far and ripped the world asunder! the had built a portal and from it they believed they could do anything. THe fools never saw the danger they had created. THeir portal grew out of control and flooded the very veins of the poor world with magical energy creating shockwaves of energy that echoe to this day. these shockwaves are what allow other worlds to bleed through. From this the The Portal devolved into a force of nature The Rift. The gateway that floods the world with magic and created the wave that brought through some of the denziens of the Hub that arose around it all to satbilize that monster and prevent another Seven Days of Chaos...
Alright what's happened is that our earth circa 2012 was effectivley violently thrusted into the multiverse and has pulled parts of the Great Wheel down onto it. The Leylines glow in plain sight like a twisted version of the auroas and planar creatures of all kinds now roam the planet. Some benign and many less so. Its in the concept stages still so please comment on any gaps you see.

Theodoxus
2008-08-03, 10:42 AM
So, you want to remake Rifts from Palladium, what, as a thought project?

It wouldn't take much at all to "d20" Rifts as it is. Everything else, you're proposing is just fluff changes.

black dragoon
2008-08-03, 10:48 AM
NOt exactley more like importing the Palnewalker setting into post-apocalyspe in way that doesn't screw up the entire cosmology. There are no or uber-powerful battlesuits running around because in truth in four years even with magic I don't see it happening. It's more like earth has been overrun by the planes. Entire cities vanished in planar storms and whole sections of orther planes of existence bursted in their stead. sure there is a simalarity but at the smae time it something utterly diffrent.

bosssmiley
2008-08-03, 11:49 AM
NOt exactley more like importing the Palnewalker setting into post-apocalyspe in way that doesn't screw up the entire cosmology. There are no or uber-powerful battlesuits running around because in truth in four years even with magic I don't see it happening. It's more like earth has been overrun by the planes. Entire cities vanished in planar storms and whole sections of orther planes of existence bursted in their stead. sure there is a simalarity but at the smae time it something utterly diffrent.

Google the "Urban Planescape" setting that the Planwalker.com bods were working on a while back. That had some interesting modern/cyberpunk takes on the Great Wheel cosmology that might apply.

IIRC Pandemonium had morphed into a giant sewer system (complete with mutant Slaadigators). The Beastlands looked like something from the "Life After Us" speculative documentary on urban decay. Mechanus was a cross between the 'real world' of "The Matrix" and "Reboot".

v- Gotcha. Then bring the Planes into the real world as TORG-style planar bleeds, or perhaps as "Neverwhere"/"Underworld" style 'realms of wonder in the interstices of RL'.

black dragoon
2008-08-03, 11:54 AM
I know. I'm part of the planewalker community actually!:)
I don't want it to be spanning the planes though that would kill an individual mind rather focusing on Earth and Earth itself I can work at a smaller scale with and keep the general the world's gone crazy feel.