PDA

View Full Version : Complaining About Threads You Don't Like

Admiral_Kelly
2008-08-03, 04:57 PM
Awhile ago, I had been a big supporter behind barring various topics because they had been discussed to death on the Order of the Stick forum. Since then I have rethought things and realized they are not a problem. Just because someone personally think the issue is resolved and no amount of discussion will amount to anything does not mean other people do not have a say.

For instance, if a particular recurring thread comes up and you get sick seeing it when it comes up (like V's gender or Belkar's alignment), simply do not give it any replies. It is okay, you do not have to set the record straight. Recite this little mantra, (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MST3KMantra) or post a new more interesting thread to keep your mind off of the issue.

Posting 'this topic has been brought up before' without any follow-up other than a rant about how you think these kinds of threads should not be discussed does add much to the current conversation. Pointing out your dislike for it will not make it go away, in fact it will prolong it. At worst, you will end up derailing the thread into an only loosely-related issue.

It should be noted, though, if a thread comes up when there is already an active thread on the topic it should be reported to a mod so it can be merged.

Discuss.

WarriorTribble
2008-08-03, 05:12 PM
Makes sense, there's a constant influx of newcomers to this forum that go through the same motions the older members did, like the V gender thing, but oddly no Miko posts lately. To be honest I consider such repetitive posts a good thing, it means the comic is still going strong. When they stop appearing then I'll start to worry.

NerfTW
2008-08-03, 05:49 PM
Some people flip out if you even mention Miko in a context where it makes perfect sense and adds to the discussion. Sort of like people who yell "GODWINNED!" if you bring up Nazis in a discussion about German political history.

mikeejimbo
2008-08-03, 08:25 PM
I think this has been brought up before.

Sorry, sorry, I couldn't help it.

Roland St. Jude
2008-08-03, 10:09 PM
Agreed.

If you believe a topic is duplicative of an existing thread, please report it and ask that it be merged (with a link to the thread you think it duplicates). Otherwise, please don't tell others what they can or can't discuss or what threads should or shouldn't be started.