PDA

View Full Version : Create a Spell

Roythebattousai
2008-08-03, 08:01 PM
How should I go about doing this?

My DM said it had to stay within the realm of my God, so like, Something with Magma, Lightning or Wind, would be preferred.

I like straight damage spells, but also, something that could like, cripple creatures and such, in any way, mentally, or physically.

Something clever that will give me an excuse for it to be powerful.

mikeejimbo
2008-08-03, 08:29 PM
I wish I had your DM.

monty
2008-08-03, 08:44 PM
Try giving some more details on exactly what you want it to do. Damage is pretty straightforward, but there's lots of ways to cripple something. Ability damage/drain, stunning, blinding, save penalties, movement restriction, etc.

Rei_Jin
2008-08-03, 08:47 PM
Could you fill in the following details, so we know what to do?

Game System (eg. D&D 3.5, D&D 4.0, Gurps, etc):
Spell Level (What level do you want this thing to be):
Restrictions (You've told us a couple, but what guidelines do you have?):

This would help tremendously

The Demented One
2008-08-03, 08:49 PM
Assuming it's for just normal, 3.5 D&D, I can whip it up if you give me a level.

Roythebattousai
2008-08-03, 09:04 PM
I'm an 8th level dwarf cleric.

My Gods are the Norse ones.

Our games are loosely based on the 3.5 rules. But, our DM breaks them, when he sees fit.

I'd like something that could either blind or cripple movement, but also cause damage.

I've got a Wis and Con score of 19 each, if that makes any difference.

Oh, and he said, Mostly anything, as long as it's not stupid, or overpowered.

So no Pig Entrails beam Dealing 8d10 per lvl of caster. :smallwink:

Dhavaer
2008-08-03, 09:40 PM
Thunderclap
Evocation [Sonic]
Level: Cleric 4
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Area: 20ft. radius burst centred on caster
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude Partial, see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

The caster claps together his hands with such a mighty blow that it knocks enemies off their feet. This spell deals 1d6 sonic damage/2 caster levels to all creatures except the caster within the spells area, and knocks them prone. A successful save halves the damage and negates the prone condition.

Rei_Jin
2008-08-03, 09:41 PM
So you're looking for a 4th level cleric spell...

What about this as an idea?

Punishment of Odin
Conjuration
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft/2 levels)
Target: One opponent
Saving Throw: Fortitude save partial (See text)
Spell Resistance: No

As you face off against your enemy, you draw a dagger and call down a curse upon his head. The dagger flies from your hand and strikes him in the eye, leaving him blinded and reeling in pain

Designate one opponent within the range of the spell. You then draw a dagger (as part of the action of casting this spell) and make a ranged touch attack. If your attack hits, he takes 1d4 damage per caster level and must make a Fortitude save or be blinded permanently. A successful fortitude save negates the blindness effect only.

Material Component: A dagger

monty
2008-08-03, 09:59 PM
How about this? Norse was always my favorite mythos, but I'm terrible at making names, so I went with an inside joke from my old mythology class (a variation of "Hulk smash!"). Basically, it's a refluffed Orb of Force with shorter range, less damage, and a stunning effect.
Edit: removed the ranged touch, because I forgot that the original Mjollnir always hit its target.

Thor Smash
Conjuration (Creation) [Force]
Components: V, S, F
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One hammer of force
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial

You shape force into the form of Thor's mighty hammer Mjollnir, launching it toward your target. The hammer deals 5d6 points of damage and stuns the target for one round. A successful Fortitude save negates the stunning only.

Focus: A light hammer of at least masterwork quality.

Note: This spell may only be cast by followers of the Norse pantheon.

The Demented One
2008-08-03, 10:09 PM
Unerring Spear of Odin
Conjuration (Force)
Components: V, S, DF
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Spear of force
Target: One creature
Saving Throw: None

You summon up a spear of force, and fling it towards your foe. The spear strikes unerringly, ignoring armor, concealment, or any defense. The creature hit automatically takes 1d12 damage plus 1 point per caster level, max +20. At caster level 12th, the base damage automatically increases to 2d12, and at caster level 16th, it increases to 3d12.

Wrathful Hand of Odin
Necromancy
Components: S
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial

You make a ripping motion with your hand, and as you do, your foe's eye appears in it, as if you had plucked it from the socket. The subject takes 1d6 damage/2 levels, max 10d6. In addition, he takes a -10 penalty on all Search and Spot checks, and all his attacks gain a 10% miss chance. A save halves the damage, and prevents the eye from being torn out, negating the penalties. If you use this spell to remove both of the subject's eyes (or all, if it has more), then it is blinded. A remove blindness/deafness spell or heal spell cast on the subject regenerates the subject's eye or eyes and removes the penalties. Creatures without eyes cannot be affected by this spell.

monty
2008-08-03, 11:17 PM
Ride of the Valkyries
Evocation [air]
Components: V, S
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target or Targets: One creature or up to ten creatures, no two of which are more than 30 ft. apart
Saving Throw: Reflex partial; see text

You call the spirit of a Valkyrie, who rides in upon the wind. If you succeed on a ranged touch attack, she hits your target and deals 1d6 damage. In addition, the target must make a Reflex save or be knocked prone.

You can conjure one Valkyrie for every caster level, to a maximum of ten at tenth level. You can have them strike a single creature or several creatures, but each one may only attack one creature. You must designate targets before you make your attack rolls. A creature struck more than once must only make one Reflex save to avoid being knocked prone, but the DC increases by 1 for each Valkyrie beyond the first.

And, it might not be exactly what you're looking for, it follows the Norse theme:

Rise of the Einherjar
Necromancy
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Area: 50-ft burst, centered on caster
Target: Up to five corpses
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You call upon the spirits of great warriors for aid. Up to one corpse per two caster levels (to a maximum of five at tenth level) within the radius of the spell can be animated to fight for you. They retain all statistics of the original creature, but gain the undead type (and therefore lose their Constitution score) and gain a bonus to turn resistance equal to half your caster level. They will obey any command given by you, but if you do not command them they will fight for you to the best of their ability.