PDA

View Full Version : How is play-by-post different than running a tabletop game?

Thoughtbot360
2008-08-03, 10:30 PM
Topic explains it all really.

I mean, I have seen some play-by-post forums, but its not like I've ever had a proper introduction to how they are run.

From what I infer, the process of a single fight take might take days to resolve due to DMs and Players not being on line at the same time. Sounds like a huge drawback

But, what are the perks of play-by-post? What does someone need to prepare a play-by-post game?

Thanks for you time,

Thoughtbot.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-03, 10:33 PM
Well, I haven't played alot of play by post, but I can at least say that pbp gives you more people to play with. I've played with people on different contenents due to pbp.

nobodylovesyou4
2008-08-03, 10:35 PM
perks are that you can play every day, at your own discretion. you dont have to have a set time, date, and place.
it also makes roleplaying much easier; one of my friends is an amazing roleplayer, yet is too shy to act when we play in person. as a result, PbP creates an amazing medium for him.

Zyrusticae
2008-08-03, 10:43 PM
Roleplaying is indeed easier when it is not your face and your voice behind the character.

Though it can go slower over the course of a day even if all the players happen to be present (and posting), it can happen more often simply because there no longer has to be a commute. (Plus, people with internet at work can post while there... though technically they aren't working then, heh-heh...:smalltongue:). Since you can post on any day of the week (assuming you have something to post for) as opposed to only, say, the weekend, more can be done overall over the course of a week than with regular tabletop gaming.

You can write elaborate backgrounds for your characters without having it messed up by your illegible handwriting. (Okay, personal issue, I admit..). Also, typing is faster than writing.

The DM gets plenty of time to work on encounters and such, and can pause the game without delaying it for another week simply because everyone can post on any given day of the week as opposed to only when the game is in-session. Thus, life is easier for the DM of the PbP game.

Skyserpent
2008-08-03, 10:56 PM
Combat is slow as all get out, though. I ran a few Play By Post games in 3.5 and it took a good month to resolve a single encounter. The game didn't last long...

Prophaniti
2008-08-03, 10:58 PM
Agreed with most of the posters so far. It is a great deal easier to roleplay and to tell the story, if that's what your after. I myself, when I DM pbp games, use a lot more exposition and description than when I DM in person, partly because I too am a little shy and partly because it takes a lot longer for most people to speak three paragraphs of description than to read the same thing. In person groups can often get bored of your incessant talking much more quickly than people playing via text.

Another major advantage that I've found is you can find people willing to play different systems or styles that you can't find anyone to play where you live. So, if you really want to try GURPS, or whatever, and you've tried and failed to find a group in your area, you can probably find a pbp game somewhere so you can try it out.

Enlong
2008-08-03, 10:58 PM
What everyone above me said is pretty much what I've experienced. The only drawbacks I've found is that the game progresses at a slower pace (I've never been in a game long enough to level) and that if you don't keep the group together, the games can die rather abrubtly (main contributer to the never leveling thing).

However, I have found that PBP is a great medium to experiment with new concepts, meet awe-inspiring roleplayers, and try out that cool arctic-ocean with sandworms adventure that you've never been able to get your home group to try. 'cause if there's one thing I've learned, is that there's always someone willing tho throw their hat into the game.
(note to self, write a campaign on an arctic ocean, with sandworms, and pirates, and blackjack, and...)

Thoughtbot360
2008-08-03, 11:01 PM
The DM gets plenty of time to work on encounters and such, and can pause the game without delaying it for another week simply because everyone can post on any given day of the week as opposed to only when the game is in-session. Thus, life is easier for the DM of the PbP game.

That *is* a nice perk.

I see... Thank you all, especially Zyrusticae for the in-depth response.

LoneStarNorth
2008-08-04, 12:09 AM
I like PbP because I have enough time in the evenings that I can post multiple times, so I can play in several games at once. They all move slow and about half just end, but it's something to do in between "real" sessions. It's a good way to keep on top of my game and try out new characters and ideas, but it's just not the same as table-top.

Gralamin
2008-08-04, 12:34 AM
PbP has the advantage of easier roleplaying. I find it difficult to act in character in person, but find it very easy on PbP or IRC.
PbP have an unfortunate tendency to die off. Its a lot harder to keep the game going when there is no set meeting time.

There is also a third possibility, IRC. IRC tends to be an effective midpoint, and one of my preferred places to play. It is easier to act in character, and it has a meeting time. Unfortunately sometimes its very hard to get a meeting time, so you have to eliminate players do to scheduling conflicts. It can also be difficult to get a game started.

valadil
2008-08-04, 09:07 AM
I haven't done PbP, but I did a game in IRC. What I really liked was that the GM could easily use the anonymity of the internet to his advantage. For NPCs the GM would launch another IRC client and join the channel with the name of the NPC. This let him voice several characters and have it actually look like several characters were speaking. Our GM also did nice things like prepare his descriptions so he could copy and paste them into the channel and not waste time typing.

The game fizzled though because people (myself included, but only once) didn't show up. I imagine a PbP game would be similar. I also imagine that rolling dice for a play by post would slow the thing down to a crawl, to the point where I wouldn't even want to play.

Also, as far as I'm aware there are two kinds of PbP game. In some of them people all log on at the same time and have a semi real time game. In the other there is no set game time and people post whenever they feel like it. Is this correct that both kinds are valid?

Thoughtbot360
2008-08-04, 06:54 PM
PbP has the advantage of easier roleplaying. I find it difficult to act in character in person, but find it very easy on PbP or IRC.
PbP have an unfortunate tendency to die off. Its a lot harder to keep the game going when there is no set meeting time.

There is also a third possibility, IRC. IRC tends to be an effective midpoint, and one of my preferred places to play. It is easier to act in character, and it has a meeting time. Unfortunately sometimes its very hard to get a meeting time, so you have to eliminate players do to scheduling conflicts. It can also be difficult to get a game started.

Out of curiousity, what is IRC?

loopy
2008-08-04, 07:11 PM
Out of curiousity, what is IRC?

Essentially, to steal from bash.org, IRC is multiplayer notepad. Its a fairly simple instant messaging program. Text only, pretty versatile.

XiaoTie
2008-08-04, 07:25 PM
If you want, you can find more info about IRC on this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12321) thread over here. :elan:

CockroachTeaParty
2008-08-04, 07:27 PM
One thing that is vital to play by post games is a good DM or GM. If the DM is involved, active, and cares about a game, then the game is usually a good one. The DM must move the game along, and often times must do most of the rolling, moving, and make decisions. In many ways, the DM has even more work to do, especially if they want to make maps or visual aids. For a game like D&D, especially in 4th edition where tactical movement is much more important, PbP can be too slow for most normal people's attention spans.

If the DM starts to slow down, or people drop or fade away, a game can die with startling quickness, and reviving an old game is a tall task.

I've had some great experiences DMing and playing in PbP games, but the majority of them have been short-lived, unpleasant little blurbs that barely lasted a week after starting.

If you're looking for a good PbP game, it's vital to be patient and seek a game with a good-looking DM. If the DM is thorough, writes with intelligence and good grammar, and has an apparent investment in the game and pride in his craft, that's the game you want to be in. Otherwise approach less solid looking games with caution, and never invest too much in a character, as they will likely never see use or only be played for a short time.

All in all, playing tabletop is my preferred method. But there's certainly some gems out there.

Rei_Jin
2008-08-04, 07:33 PM
PbP can be very hard, because you are relying on players AND the DM being available to post on a daily basis. At the least.

Things happen, and people get sick, people do shift work, people have exams, etc. And those things can kill a PbP game.

I've DMed a few, and I've played in several, yet not one of them has lasted more than 2 months.

Life always gets in the way. Generally, players drop out or lose interest, sometimes the DMs life gets in the way.

I'm considering starting up another PbP game, and it's a big consideration for me.

The more players you have in a game, the longer it takes to do everything. That being said, there are things you can do to speed it up. I've learnt a couple of tricks that help a lot, and I'll be using them.

Oh, and don't be afraid to get new players in when old ones drop out. Keeps the game going.