PDA

View Full Version : Best kill ever?

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-04, 12:13 PM
Death in D&D is like icing on a fat kid's cake...its everywhere. Some kills are more notable than others. What was you most awesome/funny kill?

Mine happened during a small boss fight, one player had cast obscuring mist (making combat difficult) and our opponent was flying and invisible (making it even more difficult). On a whim, I selected a square and had my barbarian throw his weapon, miraculously hitting it and knocking it out.

Morty
2008-08-04, 12:22 PM
Hmmm, let me think... most funny death I've ever seen wasn't in D&D, but rather in my homebrewed system. Two players were being assisted by a non-combatant NPC with a crossbow. The guy wasn't supposed to do much, and he didn't. However, in a second fight of the adventure, one that was supposed to be climatic turning point, he offed one of the enemies with one extremely lucky critical hit. There was a long silence after which players procceded to stab and slash the second foe. The consequences of playing a lethal system, I guess.

detrevnisisiht
2008-08-04, 12:29 PM
Well finaly I have a story to put in one of these,

Once not to long ago, I had made a mobility specialized barbarian(jump was in the +40s and 60ft speed I don't quite remember how I pulled it of as I lost the sheet)
my group was with a bunch of low level soldiers, about to go up against a large group of kobolds(sp?) and to top it off A rather large dragon flying above. About 3 rounds before the armies were supposed to meet and clash my guy charges through the middle of the opposing army and gets knocked somewhere into the negatives (yay diehard) jumps about 40 feet up(good roll) and threw the ax the rest of the way. if that wasn't awesome enough by itself it was a triple 20. dragon got decapitated and fell dead. kobold army was so freaked out (thought I was a typical soldier of the opposing force. that they scattered,

The kicker is that I got a 1 on the tumble check and died from falling damage.

evisiron
2008-08-04, 12:52 PM
Final Boss of a campaign, 20th level characters against 690ECL marathon battle, topped with a Col Red dragon. There are a few tight moments, but smart ehaling keepes everyone alive.

During the final battle, the ranger has become severly injured (4hp) and goes into hiding, but seeing the dragon wounded decides to hop out to get the last hit. He hits, but rolls too low, bringing the Dragon to 11hp.
Dragons turn. Rolls for target, gets ranger. Last spell slot includes a distintergrate. *Hits* *Failed save* *Dust pile blowing away in the wind*

It gave the fighter a great reason to yell NNnnnnnoooo! and power attack to finish it off. :smallbiggrin:

SurlySeraph
2008-08-04, 12:59 PM
A friend of mine was playing a barbarian with a scythe. A Flaming Burst Icy Burst Shocking Burst scythe, to be exact. The party got separated, and he ended up fighting a fairly major antagonist (sadistic town sheriff) and his 6 Fighter assistants alone. The barbarian killed four of them, then was reduced to -6 HP. The barbarian had the Diehard feat, so he was still conscious. The evil sheriff walks over to him and starts gloating, as the rest of the party tries to get up to the barbarian before the sheriff can finish him off. The barbarian, after hearing the sheriff gloat, power attacks for full. He gets a natural 20. The sheriff takes a ludicrous amount of damage, and the DM rules he gets cut in half. The 2 remaining enemies flee as the barbarian finally collapses. Best. Last. Stand. Ever.

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-04, 01:03 PM
Sorry but i think I beat that. Was playing a game of Cyberpunk2020. My character had just run into an alley to get away from a chopper when BAM! He got shot in the head with a fairly large armor piercing round. I succeeded on both my stun and death save and used the action i had left to run up and do 83 damage in melee. (enough to easily kill 4 characters)

LotharBot
2008-08-04, 01:17 PM
As part of backstory, our half-ogre monk (Jakob)'s master Michael had turned into a wraith, and Jakob slew Michael's wraith. Michael had been given an oracle to "seek the wraith, return the key" that now passed on to Jakob.

So, near the end of the campaign, the party goes down to the boss wraith's chamber, with Michael's ghost occasionally materializing to lead the way. We're level 16, and there are literally thousands of dread wraiths around, not to mention night crawlers. Vash, the boss wraith, is a CR 40+ dread wraith sorcerer, and the "key" is inside a wall of force and an AMF, and the whole chamber is dim locked. We knew Jakob could get to the key with legendary speed and legendary touch AC, and we knew if he broke the key it would release the spirit, who would return to his true master and reform the key we needed. But once that happened, we knew Jakob was screwed. Sure enough, he got in and broke the key, and then got ganked by a high-level save-or-lose and turned into a wraith.

... a wraith whose legendary discipline allowed him to maintain focus for just a few more rounds. And now, in front of him, Vash appeared as simply a feeble old man whose sorcerer spells were almost all death or mind-effecting and therefore utterly useless against Jakob the wraith. And there, behind Vash, was Michael's ghost. A trip, a flurry, a missed disintegrate and a saved-against disintegrate, and 2 more flurries, and a pair of level 16 monks took down a caster who was at least 20 levels above them.

(Michael's ghost then turned and killed Jakob's wraith before he lost control. Due to our alternate death rules (http://blacksandsofsemferia.blogspot.com/2008/02/death-and-resurrection-rules.html), Jakob's death was permanent -- this was also the best player death ever.)

The full account is just after the yellow text in this session log (http://blacksandsofsemferia.blogspot.com/2008/06/session-26-2008-06-27-unlikely-allies.html).

Tadanori Oyama
2008-08-04, 01:59 PM
In my last 3.5 campagin a sorcerer summoned a celestial badger (a trick he used ALOT, he named the badger and everything, summoned it every fight, it was practically an animal companion) to help the rogue flank a somewhat wounded Ogre with levels.

His intention was to allow the rogue a sneak attack. This failed, since the rogue missed its attack and the Ogre clubed the badger, putting it into critical shape. At low HP, badger had a frenzy special attack that increased their damage and the sorcerer had just taked the Augemented Summoning feat (I believe, whichever one increased the strength and constitution of the summoned creature) and he wanted to see what his little badger could do with it's newly found berzerker status.

The attack roll, which I made as the DM, was a 20, critical threat. The confirmation roll was also a 20 and we where using (by popular demand of the players) a house rule that if you score a 20 on your confirmation roll you double your critical on a second confirmation. The second confirmation was a 19, more than enough to hit. So, this badger deals quadruple damage with enhanced strength and manages to score the maximum with nearly all his damage dice.

So, the badger ended up dealing vasty more damage than the Ogre could take. Feeling in a festive mood (it was a great roll), I quickly described the senario:

The badger's claw hit the Ogre in the back of it's knee and forced the monster to the ground where the badger had access to it's tinder fleshy parts. The little beast then proceeded to burrow into the monster with in a haze of bloodlust.

Lycar
2008-08-04, 04:10 PM
Back in the days of D&D 3.0 a Fighter 8/Devoted Defender 4 named Leon, together with his human cleric and halfling thief locksmith companions, had been hired to clear the dungeon below a mountain monastery.

After defeating the various threats with a bit of luck, we still were pretty fresh when we reported back to the abbot. Apparently our DM was under the impression that we got off a bit too lightly and thus, while we still were telling our story, a gate opened in the middle of the office and out comes some kind of bug-creature.

So it's init-time. With Improved Initiative and a good roll, Leon went first.

Leon: 'So how far away is that thing?
DM: '10 feet.'
Leon: 'Oh okay, step and attack...'

Back in 3.0 Keen and Improved Critical still stacked. Leon rolls 3 attacks. All three hit and two of them are confirmed criticals.

Leon: 'Oh yeah, that are 96 sweet points of damage!'
DM: '.... the bug creature gets cut into ribbons and with an unaerthly scream melts down into a pile of unholy goo which quickly evaporates.'
(Keen Bastard Sword +2: 18315 gp. Our DM's expression: Priceless. :smallbiggrin:)

Cleric: 'What was that thing?'
Leon: '*shrug* Dunno. Probably nothing dangerous.'

And that was when we had to stop playing on account of being paralyzed by laughter. :smallbiggrin:

To this day i don't know what that thing was. Just that our DM told us, had this thing gotten to act even once, we would have been in a world of hurt.

###

At another time we were playing Rolemaster. I was playing a swahbuckler type character, fighting with a rapier and a main gauche (parry dagger). His fighting style incorporated a move with which he basically makes an attack with both weapons at once, allowing him to roll twice on the critical hit tables (provided his attack roll is good enough that is).

We were fighting a bunch of goons who had been sent to demolish the dojo of another player's character, a martial artist. We already had dealt with all the goons, except for their leader. We tried to capture him, so we could interrogate him later.

Swash: 'Okay then, let's take this guy down. I'll attack with both weapons this time.' *roll*
DM: 'Nice. That is a D critical. Roll for it.'
Swash: *roll* thats a ninetysomething.
DM: 'Hm.... 'Your weapon slashes across your enemies, eyes, blinding him and causing him severe pain. -40 to everything and bleeds for 2 hits per round.
Swash: 'Awesome! That should make capturing the guy a lot easier.'
DM: 'Hmm... so your main gauche does a critical two categories lower and you use the same roll as for the main critical... let's see... oh: 'Your weapon slashes across your foe's throat, severing both his jugulars. Foe goes down, spraying blood. Foe will die within 6 rounds.'
Swash: '... Okay... that makes taking him alive a mite bit harder...'

Lycar

AslanCross
2008-08-04, 04:20 PM
Probably not as awesome as any of these, but our last battle had the PCs on a ship. Naturally, I'd throw a pirate encounter at them.

The pirate ship was a lot faster and was going to catch up with the PC ship eventually. The pirate wizard let loose a couple of fireballs, which the PC wizard was able to counterspell. Had he failed, the fireballs would have set the sails on fire and have them dead in the water. Counterspelling gave them time to buff and prepare for the boarding. The wizard casts Enlarge Person on the Paladin, cramping the deck a lot.

The pirate ship comes around, and before it's able to get close enough, the PC wizard lets loose a fireball.

Practically all of the impending encounter dies before they even get to roll initiative. (eight CR 3 Rogue1/Fighter2 pirates). Of course, this isn't enough to kill the pirate Ogre, who jumps over to the PC ship---and gets stabbed by the paladin with an AOO.

Ogre dies.

The other three players didn't even get to do ANYTHING. Heck, the Wizard felt bad after that.

"I feel too uber..."

(Though the pirate captain and his personal hit squad are still alive. As of the end of our last session, the ship's coming in to ram.)

geez3r
2008-08-04, 04:38 PM
I got this one in a high level Mutants and Masterminds game. My character, is essentially a Superman type, possessing monsterous Super-Strength, Immovable (w/Unstoppable), and Flight powers. It's the last battle of a really long story arc, where the Villain, Doctor Havoc, has steadily been capturing/ eliminating the worlds heroes, and some villains.

Our group storms his fortress and lays seige. We make it past all of his forces and traps and then begin fighting Havoc in his throne room. The battle isn't going our way. Two out of our 5 members are unconcious, a third is staggered (one more hit and they're out), our 4th is heavily injured but still the healthiest amongst us unfortunately, and my character has a nice view of the floor 23 stories down having just been smashed through them by Havoc.

Havoc then goes into a monologue "consoling us" because even if we had defeated him he had "this" up his sleeve. "This" was in fact a meteor on a collision course with earth, mere hours away from earth that he had cloaked using his advanced technology. He had been eliminating the heroes just incase they discovered the meteor and someone had tried to stop it. Those familiar with the system know that Hero Points just went flying. We use the Hero Points and the time he spends monologuing to put our faces back together and mount a counter offensive.

The group upstairs puts a major hurting on Havoc, and lines him up for my character. My character then uses Extra Effort to boost his already massive Flight speed even higher and performs a Slam attack going vertically up at maximum velocity. That maximum velocity put both me and Havoc on a collision course with the meteor, and I didn't slow down. The Meteor then essentially made a Slam attack against the pair of us, with some numbers the GM pulled out of who knows where. Because of my Immovable rank, the GM ruled I wasn't going anywhere, and neither was the meteor, so Havoc got crushed between the two of "us", killing him. The impact also killed me, but it also diverted the meteor enough that it missed the earth; it still had massive destruction on a world wide scale, but we lived.

IM@work
2008-08-04, 04:39 PM
Although its not D+D, it's still pretty awesome:
In my first ever session of a WoD campaign we were attacked by VampireLords and a horde of zombies and were being rescued/helped by an underground military society. One of the members had given me a small gun, which I had no skill in using. After a crazy surge of magic by a NPC we were tracking, destroying most of the zombies and Vampire Lords I found myself face to face with the last remaining vampire lord. I had three d10 dice rolls, all critical. Roll for second, all high rolls (9-10). Totaled about 6 criticals. Completly destroyed a vampire lord, splattering guts and brains all over. something a character of much higher levels rarely ever does.
Not the best kill but my favorite, after all, how often are level 1 characters ever awesome?

LoneStarNorth
2008-08-04, 04:59 PM
My dwarven barbarian (level 6) was heading back to town with the spellthief to do some shopping (also, beer run) and got ambushed by a hydra, five or six heads. We ran away because we were ill prepared at the time, but I swore vengeance. The two of us came back the next day with a cart full of booze, intending to use one of the kegs to blow up the hydra. The plan sort of backfired, with the entire cart blowing up in front of both the hydra and my barbarian, and the hydra was clearly less bothered by this than the dwarf with only 1 hp remaining. It was then that I hit with a full power attack and got a crit, killing the thing in one blow. The awesomeness of this exploit was lessened by the fact that we then had to flee desperately from several more battles on the way back to the rest of the party, because we had no means of healing.

In the game I'm DMing, my players have pulled off some impressive stuff. After the bard got eaten by a remoraz (however you spell it), she took enough damage to knock her way past dead. Due to a house rule, however, the rest of the party still had one round to pump enough healing into her to save her life. The artificer got a crit that was good enough to kill the monster, while the fighter/mage dragged the bard's corpse-to-be out and proceeded to dump a potion down her throat. She was then stabilized at -9 hp.

Jade_Tarem
2008-08-04, 05:20 PM
In a GURPS superhero game (our group's first GURPS game, actually, when we decided to try it out - at this point we were primarily just testing game mechanics) the resident bad guy triggered a kind of zombie apocalypse in our home city. We eventually traced it back to the source - this skyscraper in the middle of town. After hacking our way past a bunch of the zombies, and a suspicously dangerous tentacle monster, we split up to search the building. My character and one other, being the genre-savvy heroes that we were, decided to start searching high.

Now, my character, since I built him primarly based on whims I recieved while character building, wasn't too superhero-y (nobody's really was, but the GM required that they resemble some kind of superhero), but I managed to describe him as a combination of Karate-Kid (Legion of Superheroes, Old School, baby!) and Cloud, since he used a sword for most of his impressive tricks. He had amazing stats, a big honkin' greatsword, and a ton of martial arts ability, plus Altered Time Rate (You take two turns for every one you would normally) and Enhanced Perception, allowing him to block bullets with that sword and manage some truly impressive stuff. However, he had no true flight or teleportation ability, which was perhaps why I was still thinking in terms of falling damage...

Sure enough, we locate the local BBEG up there on the top floor, some sort of mad scientist type guy. He was described as standing in a freezing cold lab, with dangerous looking evil-sciency equipment all around, and standing in front of a panoramic window overlooking the ruined city, watching it burn/be overrun by zombies, and here I am sitting here with the following three things running through my mind:

1) I always go first.
2) I get two turns for everyone else's one, including when I go first.
3) I have a ton of points put into flying knockback kick.

The dude barely had time to turn around and begin his villianous monologue when my character came charging at him and booted him up to and then cleanly through the huge window and out onto the streets below. The GM was pretty pissed, since he had spent a lot of time working up a bad guy that had some form of resistance to all our special "win button" moves - but had forgotten to give him a way to defy gravity.

We ended up doing the fight anyway, just to see how it would have gone had I not done that, still, it got a room full of laughs, right when I started asking about how tough the glass was...

only1doug
2008-08-04, 05:22 PM
Well, i don't yet know which monster we have killed.

Last session of DnD we were exploring the dungeon and the rogue spotted something unusual about the corridor in ahead. The scout was eager to prove his usefulness and said he'd examine the area for a trap and promptly fell 90' into 3' of water (failing his tumble check en-route) and found himself making saves against drowning (passing constantly) as some form of watery undead approached him. My sorcerer (with 9 spell points left) flew down (i have wings) and rescued him (Fly For the win) and we left the water monster down there and blocked up the trapdoor.

further exploration showed found us facing 2 war-trolls, the tiefling rogue walked up close (ring of darkhidden) and shot one in the brainpan (crit sneak attack in wound point variant rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/vitalityAndWoundPoints.htm#) for insta kill. The second troll turned and fled.

We chased down the troll and slowly beat it to death, but heard more trolls wandering about, probably attracted to the noise of the running troll.

We backtracked a bit as the trolls slowly tracked us, the party crossed the pit trap from earlier and we re-activated it.

GM: "safest route across the pit trap is across the dead center a good balance check will let you cross safely",

Me: "i think flying across will be safer thanks"

I went to fetch the trolls and flew back to the party (yeah all the way back) with 3 trolls in hot pursuit.

2 of the trolls fell straight down the trapdoor, the second successfully jumped across the pit and started using a 2-handed sword. (now i have 4 spell points left and am standing next to an angry troll)

the paladorf and the finhead saurial scout set up on opposite sides of the troll and start pummeling, the troll crits on the scout and cuts him in half.
the rogue moves in and starts adding his sneak attack. i'm stacking up the power word pain's and finally the war-troll drops.

So ubah kills that session:
Rogue: War-troll one shot kill, first blow of combat, causing another foe to flee.

War-troll: how to gut a Finhead.

Trap: well either the fallen War-trolls have drowned or the critter in the pit has been torn apart by war-trolls, either way when i have some spellpoints back i'm going down there to burn out the survivor(s) but still an awesome kill

Doug

Coplantor
2008-08-04, 05:23 PM
My little brother loves to play barbarians, the first time he played D&D he was a half orc barbarian with a 20 str score. durin a dungeon crawl we fought some kobolds, he decided to use rage during that fight, anyway, the las kobold was standing against the entire party, barbarian's turn, power attack with a great axe, critical hit, rolls full damage. he did 60 dmg to a creture with 4hp, the description the DM gaved us was rather, discusting... lots of guts...

Said brother once died in quite a stupid way, you see, i love goblins and kobolds, and I was DMing. The players were lost in forest, they found an old temple ruins to use for shelter, the rogue takes a quick peep inside and tells the party that at the end of the entry hall there are two goblins, they all agree that the barbarian should enter charging towards the goblins to scare them, after all they were "just goblins", so he did, only problem, caltrops, poisoned ones. The spectacular charge ended earlier than expected and the goblins had heavy crossbows, both scored critical on the barbarian.

My best kill? well, we were on a random generated dungeon, first encounter, an umber hulk, second encounter, an umber hulk, third encounter, AN UMBER HULK! and fourth encounter, another umber hulk. It was at that point that i said "you know what, screw that, Phantasmal killer". The umber hulk died instantly, funniest thing of all was that the DM was quirte new to D&D and didn knew the phantasmal killer spell.

Epinephrine
2008-08-04, 05:23 PM
Does a kill as a GM count?

I was running a campaign ages ago (GURPS), and at one point it came to a battle on a ship. The party followed the enemy below decks, killed a few men, and came to the room they knew she was in. It being an outer wall and an armed vessel, they yanked the door open and saw the sorceress-type (and familiar) with a ballista (normally aimed outward, at other ships) aimed at the doorway. Making a dex check, the player through himself to the side of the door and slammed it shut before she could fire. The players talked amongst themselves, trying to figure out what to do, since nobody wanted to rush the door. While this happened, I made listen checks for them, and told them that over the groaning of the ship and the splashing of the waves they could hear a grinding sound, like wood scraping on wood. (I wonder what that could be...)

A while later I interrupted their discussion with a ballista bolt through the wall (it's an ship's inner wall - guys, it's not going to slow it down much) which happened to take the party paladin type through the chest, and ended up killing him (GURPS is pretty deadly, and a sorceress who is looking through the wall can aim pretty well - 5d6 impaling to the vital organs will do it, even after the DR from the wall and his armour).

On the plus side, they thought a lot more about sounds I'd describe from then on.

only1doug
2008-08-04, 05:42 PM
Heh, if we are counting kills we've made as GM's then my favorite has to be a Call of Cthulhu game i was running:

Contains Masks of Nyarlathotep spoiler

You find a secret chamber, concealed at the apex of the pyramid, it contains a large obsidian throne in front of which a line of unlit lanterns stand to each side of a crimson carpet. the carpet ends at a tapestry which depicts a scene from ancient egypt. each other wall is covered by a scene showing the stars in the night sky.

Player1: "i'm going to sit on the throne"
All other players (in unison): "Noooooooooooooooo......."

Me: "Ok, you become the living avatar of Nyarlathotep... (long speech)"
Me: "hmm, what happens to you next player1? oh, yes, here it is.... your charred corpse drops to the floor"

Best unintentional suicide ever!

Hint: if you are playing a Horror RPG, Don't sit on Black thrones

Doug

PhallicWarrior
2008-08-04, 06:09 PM
My favorite kill:

Mutants & Masterminds, 2nd edition

I was GM, but one of the players did such an awesome thing that I pick it as my favorite kill.

We were playing through the second of two adventures in the back of the book (SPOILERS for anyone who hasn't finished them yet.) and were fighting Captain Kraken onboard his floating ship. Johnny Danger, a mostly-unpowered (he had a danger-sense, but that was it.) masked adventurer type, was dueling Kraken, and getting his butt handed to him. Johnny wasn't optimized for melee, and PL10 doesn't do well against PL 12 no matter what, so he was shredded pretty well by Kraken's energy saber and knocked off of the ship. However, he managed to fire a grappling gun at the rail just before he got too far away, and survived. (Albeit, he was staggered, and injured further when he hit the side of the building the ship was anchored to. He would have died if he hadn't spent that Hero point.) So, he used his Inventor feat and another Hero Point to cobble together a temporary jet pack out of a vending machine and a photocopier, yet one more Hero Point to recover from some of his injuries, and soared up to rejoin his companions, who had overcome Kraken's crew, only to be presented with an ultimatum: surrender or be blasted into vaccum when he dropped the forcefield surrounding the city. (Long story).

It is into this mess that Johnny Danger rockets. He fires a shot at the shield control in Kraken's hand. He needs a roll of 20 to hit. What does he roll? Take a guess. The control flies out of his hand, and the Supergirl knock-off punts him off of the deck. Best win ever.

Cainen
2008-08-04, 06:33 PM
Natural 1 on a fort save to prevent from being sickened after the party's fighter caused an enemy to die very gorily - the DM called for a "ranged touch attack" after I failed it.

Natural 20. Crit confirmed with another natural 20, then rolled max damage.

I killed the enemy with vomit.

Ashdate
2008-08-04, 06:36 PM
My best was from a Shackled City game. I'll try and be light on spoilers.

Our level 3-4 party is exploring this goblin-infested area below the city, and we're absolutely cleaning the place out. We get into a fight with a pair of Wargs, and an Augmented Fire Beetle I summoned crits one of the Wargs, killing it. It's companion attempts to run away. My beetle gets his AOO, and crits.

I describe my beetle as ripping the heart out of both Wargs, and then attempting to stand on it's hind legs, one in each pincer, chittering it's most blood-curling chitter.

Well, we meet the master of this place, as he seeps under a door in a cloud of mist, pops up next to our fighter, and proceeds to dominate him. We managed to knock the fighter unconscious, and our cleric gets lucky (?) on his third turn attempt and manages to turn the bugbear vampire (!) so we can escape.

Back in the city, we lick our wounds. The party stocks up on silver weapons, as I dump a heft of money on some scrolls.

Back in the dungeon we creep forward until ol' fang-face shows himself. I get a high init count, and pull out my new scroll of Command Undead. The Bugbear Vampire fails his save. I tell him that he's in danger from the city authorities above, and that he should mist into an empty potion vial I have so I can transport him outside the city. He agrees.

I transport him into an open field, at high noon. As I toss the vial out in the open, my DM describes the Bugbear Vampire bursting from the glass, only able to watch in horror as it's skin burns, using it's last moments to point at my character and curse him: "I thought we we're friends!"

To this day my DM still brings up the vampire I killed... with friendship.

- Eddie

Coplantor
2008-08-04, 07:01 PM
My best was from a Shackled City game. I'll try and be light on spoilers.

Our level 3-4 party is exploring this goblin-infested area below the city, and we're absolutely cleaning the place out. We get into a fight with a pair of Wargs, and an Augmented Fire Beetle I summoned crits one of the Wargs, killing it. It's companion attempts to run away. My beetle gets his AOO, and crits.

I describe my beetle as ripping the heart out of both Wargs, and then attempting to stand on it's hind legs, one in each pincer, chittering it's most blood-curling chitter.

Well, we meet the master of this place, as he seeps under a door in a cloud of mist, pops up next to our fighter, and proceeds to dominate him. We managed to knock the fighter unconscious, and our cleric gets lucky (?) on his third turn attempt and manages to turn the bugbear vampire (!) so we can escape.

Back in the city, we lick our wounds. The party stocks up on silver weapons, as I dump a heft of money on some scrolls.

Back in the dungeon we creep forward until ol' fang-face shows himself. I get a high init count, and pull out my new scroll of Command Undead. The Bugbear Vampire fails his save. I tell him that he's in danger from the city authorities above, and that he should mist into an empty potion vial I have so I can transport him outside the city. He agrees.

I transport him into an open field, at high noon. As I toss the vial out in the open, my DM describes the Bugbear Vampire bursting from the glass, only able to watch in horror as it's skin burns, using it's last moments to point at my character and curse him: "I thought we we're friends!"

To this day my DM still brings up the vampire I killed... with friendship.

- Eddie

You won the thread, or at least my friendship (although, Im not sure thats a good thing for me)

JupiterPaladin
2008-08-04, 09:06 PM
I pit a group against a Storm Giant (12,000 lbs.) Super Mario type build. As he lept into combat the female Monk decided it would be best to stand still and take the AoO for him leaping into her threatened square :smallconfused: All that was left was her left eyeball and a bloody mist :smallamused: For the record she was advised to dodge...

In 2nd edition, I had a BBEG getting hit by so many cheap tactics that hedecided to throw his Daern's Instant Fortress over the Thief and speaking the command word... Another one bites the dust! :smallsmile:

DrowVampyre
2008-08-04, 09:47 PM
Back in 3.0 (I think, mighta been early 3.5 though), I was playing a sorceress (adjusted to get new spell levels at the same time as wizards, and with free Eschew Materials - why are the poor sorcerers always picked on?). Well, I had a habit of throwing monkeywrenches into the DM's dastardly plans, a few of which follow:

- I was kidnapped by a group of knights after a lengthy battle and thrown into a cell, stripped of...well, everything, including dress. This is level 3 or 4 or so, and most of my spells were gone for the day, but I had one left. Anyway, I managed to convince a knight to open the door to the cell (sick prisoner routine or the like) and took him down with a sleep spell, stole his tabard and greatsword. My little elven sorceress is running around at this point in a tabard way to big for her, carrying a sword as big as she is with no proficiency. Well, I'm stuck a few floors below ground level, so I start up the stairs only to encounter another knight on the landing. I go to fight him, miss a couple times with the sword (he missed too, thankfully), so I got frustrated and decided to kick him...and proceeded to roll a max-damage crit with a high confirmation roll. DM ruled I kicked him over the railing to fall to his death about 30 feet down. So I head into the next room, find another pair of knights, and proceed to engage. Frustrated with the sword still, I just throw it at one...and again, natural 20, followed by another on the confirmation roll - sword gets buried in the knight's chest. The second one charges in and misses, and I go on to beat him unconscious with high-rolling kicks, while he barely scratches me. I ended up walking into the rest of the party, barely alive after fighting like 2 of these knights, in the front room or something. :smallbiggrin:

- Captured once again, this time by pirates (the DM had a thing for the villains capturing my poor sorceress and holding her prisoner sans clothing - high school boy, go figure). I managed to get out of the shackles I was in this time somehow, but I wasn't out of spells. More usual type fighting ensued, with me alone working up form the bottom of the ship while the rest of my party tried to rescue me from above via boarding from their ship. I ended up saving them on the deck - they never even got inside. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, lots of stuff like this happened, and the DM was getting irritated with me by the time we hit level 7. We were trying to stop this demon from freeing her family (all demons) so they could take over the world, but we didn't know where exactly they were, just a general area. We come upon a cave, and the party decides to split up (bad idea, I know, but they wouldn't listen to me).

So most go inside, while me and a rogue are stuck outside to watch for trouble and make sure nothing comes in behind them. The DM sees his chance and has a homebrewed demon (the father of the family, who she apparently had freed already) teleport in.

Daddy's effectively a balor, so me and the rogue know we're both toast, and the DM does too, grinning ear to ear because he can get me back finally. Well, we roll initiative, and I roll really high, the demon not so high, the rogue horribly - I get to go first. DM starts gloating, teasing me about shooting a fireball at it or something...I decide to try something different...Phantasmal Killer. He laughs, knowing it'd have to fail 2 saves to be threatened, and only able to fail those saves on a 1. He proceeds to roll...two 1's in a row. The look on his face was priceless. :smallbiggrin: The rogue and I went up like 5 levels from that one spell.

Xuincherguixe
2008-08-04, 09:48 PM
This was an instant messenger game. I was playing a Chaotic Evil Monk, Hauc Feng (the DM didn't care about alignment restrictions for the most part). In hindsight, I should have saved it for later, but I ended up throwing a bottle full of something we identified as poison (but we couldn't figure out what kind) down the throat of a Red Dragon. We knew there was a mother, and I realize that I should have waited until that thing was around. Either way, the dragon that drank the poison collapsed into a hideous mess.

There was later a plague that was a musical hivemind. It turns out that the poison did that to the Dragon. In order to eliminate the plague, we had to help the Red Dragon reform itself. In order to do this, it needed to be aware of the right nature of things. In this case, it needed something similar to it's original thinking to sing. In this case, it turned out my character had the appropriate "predatory mindset". After he reformed, I proceeded to charge at him and launch into some flurries, and started smashing him with martial arts goodness, while getting pretty beat up myself.

I might be remembering this wrong, but I think I managed to do a pretty high amount of damage to it.

The DM commented that One Winged Angel was playing on his iTunes, and how ironic that was what with that there was all of this build up, and the fight ended viciously and almost instantly.

Deth Muncher
2008-08-04, 10:08 PM
Not quite as funny as others, but due to misreading the Summon Nature's Ally table, a Sandshaper in my party killed a Sand Dragon by summoning a Sand T-Rex.

We realized he shouldn't have been able to do that for....oh...another 5 levels?

But it kept us alive, and when the DM realized this, we we're hours past that fight.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-08-04, 10:30 PM
lvl 1 party.

We have just chased this damn elusive Drow through some tunnels, and just caught up. The Half-Elf wizard, not wanting to waste spells, shoots a crossbow bolt in the Drow's arm. She's just celebrating her hit (several of her bolts had missed the Drow already), when all of a sudden a large arrow pierces the Drow's head, killing her instantly.

I knew I took greatbow for a reason.

TallTroll
2008-08-04, 11:21 PM
d6 Star Wars

Our tank (Barabel martial artist - shockboxing) is in a tournament, keeping an eye on an Empire agent in the same tournament. Being an 8ft lizard, he got to the semis where he faced - the Empire agent!

Now, we suspect that he is also a Dark Jedi, so we suspect that our guy is going to get panned - he's good, but not that good. We come up with a plan for the groups (rather new) Jedi to help out a bit. Not too directly, we just want him to temporarily suppress the guys Force powers so the Barabel can fight on even terms.

Now, in the d6 system, when you roll a skill check, 1 dice is a different colour. If you get a 1, you've fumbled somehow. If you get a 6, you get a good success, and can reroll the 6 and add the new number to your total too. 6s also chain, so if it keeps being a 6, you keeping rolling.

When our Jedi rolls his attempt to interfere with the Dark Jedis power, he knows he needs a good roll to have any chance. He gets a 6 on his drama dice. And another. And another. And another. And a 5. Total is about 40 points. Then the Dark Jedi rolls to resist, and a LOT of dice go up. When they come down, there's nothing higher than a 3, and there's only 2 of them. And the drama dice is a 1. He's missed his resist by about 20 points, and fumbled.

The DM decides that in fact our Jedi has not just suppressed his powers - he has severed the Dark Jedis connection to the Force. Then the Barabel steps up.

He (just) wins initiative, and throws the mightiest blow he can (the shockboxing martial arts form allows you to trade "to-hit" dice for damage dice). Knowing he may only have 1 chance to win this fight, he's used a Force point too (allows you to double your dice pools for 1 round).

Although the attack roll has been stripped, it's now doubled, allowing a respectable to-hit roll. The Dark Jedi, without his Force powers to call on, has to fall back on his normal skills and stats, which aren't that good. He's hit.

So, the Barabel scoops up damn near every d6 we have between the group, and rolls some ungodly 60+ damage total. Even with some light armour, the Dark Jedis damage resistance couldn't cope, and he took about 20 points of overkill, instant death.

As he was meant to be a recurring villain, the GM decided that, due to the excellent medical facilities on hand in case of such an emergency, he didn't die, but spent 6 months in bacta, and needed cybernetic replacement surgery to repair the damage.

Later in that same adventure, we were engaged in a high speed chase over water in speed boats, after the rest of the Dark Jedis cell. At about 400 kph, our Jedi decides to dive into the water to try and catch an enemy boat.

He hits the water like a skipping stone, and skids across it for 200m, and about a zillion damage dice. Using the one of the Force points he was awarded for his part in taking out the Dark Jedi, he just rolled enough resistance to only be crippled. He lost the other point ofr being stupid :smalltongue:

Sucrose
2008-08-04, 11:36 PM
My best would probably be in a 3.5 game in which the DM gave us immensely overpowered evil sides, in order to facilitate a cathartic slaughter. My form was a monstrous undead freak with tentacles sprouting from the arms, granting a large bonus to grapple checks. We all got level 8 sorcerer spellcasting while in these forms, as well as +6 to every stat, and a sizeable quantity of temporary HP. This made us, at level 3, about equivalent to level 9 characters 1/day, for a few minutes.

Even with all that, though, this kill still felt like something of an accomplishment, and seemed very much awesome. Some travelers that we needed info from were beset by a large White Dragon (I think it might've been Young, but I could be wrong). It made several passes before I finally declared "uber form, Fireball."

That sent it screaming toward us, and it made a few passes attacking us with its breath weapon while I and my comrade (only one other person was playing at the time) kept trying to pelt it with Fireballs. We did a little damage, and it decided that it had had enough, and flew into the sky. Normally, we would've just gotten parting pot shots, but I chose to do something different with my spells; I used Dimension Door to teleport onto the sucker's back. My teammate, after trying to figure out why I would do that, announced that he wasn't going to help, as he thought it suicide.

The DM ultimately ruled that, as uber-tentacle man, I was entitled to a Reflex save to stay on. I just barely made it, and the DM said that I was hanging by a tentacle on the thing's hind leg. It proceeded to attack me as best it could, nearly tossing me off a couple of times, while I pelted it with Fireballs. After one failed to penetrate its SR, but still blasted me for very high damage, I decided to think of a new strategy, and happily remembered that I had Scorching Ray available to me. I blasted it with that a couple of times, and just barely killed it...leaving me plummeting several feet through the air.

I had Feather Fall available to me, but as the situation was rather stressful, I needed to make a Concentration check. I had a long way down to do it, and I only needed a natural 3. I proceeded to fail 4 times in a row. So, the DM rolled damage for the fall, and it did just enough to bring me to single digits.

Teal Deer version:I fought an aerial duel with a dragon, while being unable to fly myself, and won, then proceeded to fail spectacularly to muster the concentration to cast Feather Fall, fall several hundred feet, crash into the snow below, and throw the horns.

spamoo
2008-08-05, 12:02 AM
My favorite kill was actually accidental, but it still got the job done. I was playing a Silverbrow Sorcerer with draconic feats that gave me wings. We were trying to remove a corrupt noble from power. However, he was a good friend of the king and the king vowed to lay waste to the county if another (we failed once) attempt was made on the noble's life. In the failed assassination we had managed to retrieve the noble's wax seal. Using this and an intercepted messenger I decided to do something insane. We knocked out the messenger and I cast alter self to look just like him. I bluffed my way into the king's chambers in order to deliver the "urgent" message from "the noble". What nobody knew was that the message was actually scribed with explosive runes. As it went off, I lept out of the window and reverted back to my natural form (wings help when you're 100 ft off the ground). Through an utterly boring set of circumstances I'm able to get away.

We learned soon after that the king died on the spot (not intended). My plan worked in the sense that the noble was removed from power and swiftly executed for treason. It also turned out that the king was disliked by almost all while his son (heir to the throne) was a very popular person with a charisma score rivaling my own. There was a statue erected of the mysterious "Dragon Assassin" in the city square. However, this threw the DM off course because our next task was to remove the tyrant king from power...

Eldritch_Ent
2008-08-05, 12:49 AM
Okay, so we've gone into an optional side room in a dungeon looking for treasure, and inside is a Chasme. We're an ECL 8 group... I'm a Kobold Wizard.

Everyone but me fails their will saves and are set asleep for a few rounds- I have only 3 STR since it was dropped by a previous monster, so I'm not going to stand up to the Chasme's next attack (Either it's STR dropping ray or a full attack routine).

I thought I was sunk, but then it teleported right above me to gloat. I calmly reach up- And use my "Ohgod ohgod please don't wipe" spell, Shivering Touch.

I deal 16 dex damage to the thing, exactly enough to drop it to 0. The DM rules it falls to the ground and shatters immediately as a "Sub-zero finisher sorta thing".

ObsidianRose
2008-08-05, 01:23 AM
So I had a gnome sorceror, who claimed to be the cleric of Howitzer, god of artillery.

We were in the ethereal, hunting githyanki. Every day for an entire month, I spent all my upper level slots on normal or metamagicked explosive runes, which i printed on a sheet of very long paper wrapped around a bolt. Finally, with hundreds of exploding runes, we entered our fight with the champion of the lich queen. The battle was hopeless, and we were losing ground, when I ordered my familiar to fly forward bearing the arrow, into the champion's square. Now I'm around level 10ish, while the Champion was something like a level 18 fighter.

So I know that I have no change to hit him. Instead, I cast dispel magic on my familiar's 20 foot radius. I failed exactly half hte dispel checks, setting off exactly half the explosive runes in that square.
Sure, there was the loss of the familiar, but downing that fighter was worth it.

Oh, and the lich queen tracked me down and killed me.

Mr Pants
2008-08-05, 01:46 AM
In this one I played a munchkined warforged barbarian. So the party is on a boat flying through the Astral Plane when were ambushed by a fire genie. This thing casts a fire wall on our ship so our arrows are no good, and the genies way out of range for my barbarian's shotput. So, I convince myself that the direction of the genie is the actual down; I fall towards it and destroy both of us. Burning metal parts are floating all over the place. And that's how I became a projectile.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-08-05, 01:50 AM
A long time ago when I was DMing an evil group, one of my PC's managed to die in such an utterly awesome way that we still talk about it all the time.

The PC's have basically become unwilling mercenaries of a psychotic lich who worshiped the god of fiends. They'd just received some nice loot and the lich told them they had another task from him. The task was to cut across a battlefield, climb up into a moving castle and destroy the warlord that commanded his army of corrupt warriors from within.
They all manage to cut through the guards, elite guards who were roughly their level and usually outnumbered them in each cluster. The final battle was to make sure they died because going to the Abyss was part of the plot. The room was full of these elite guards, about 35 or 40 all waiting for them and this 22nd level half pit-fiend warlock who had a fun time of flying up and blasting them to death as the guards hacked them up with their bastard swords. Everyone dies in one or two rounds, except for the shifter barbarian. He goes on for another 6 or 7 rounds with all these guards ripping and tearing at him but he just doesn't freaking DIE! All the while he's ALSO killing them in one or two hits of his claws and bite(due to incredible Str and a cloak of permanent enlarge person).
By the end he took out about a quarter of the guards all by himself while the rest of his party lay around the floor as dead as the guards. Since then I've always made it a duty to throw things at him that are more challenging than they should be...

Ganurath
2008-08-05, 02:10 AM
Natural 1 on a fort save to prevent from being sickened after the party's fighter caused an enemy to die very gorily - the DM called for a "ranged touch attack" after I failed it.

Natural 20. Crit confirmed with another natural 20, then rolled max damage.

I killed the enemy with vomit.I take it you later became an Eye of Gruumsh?

ghost_warlock
2008-08-05, 02:22 AM
Back in some of the first days of 3.0, a DM was crazy enough to let me play a version of my old wild-mage from 2e, Jalsgrim Redmother. Other than being completely insane, Jaslgrim was also obsessed with polymorph-effects - a real "mage of change."

While the party was travelling from one place to another (can't remember the exact details or motives), we were suddenly ambushed by a group of advanced gnolls. No biggie, just your standard random encounter. Except that these gnolls had managed to tame and train a wyvern, which one of them was using as a mount, dropping vials of alchmist's fire down upon random party members during the fight (I think it was supposed to be some sort of environmental hazard to make the fight more challenging).

It didn't take long before my character decided that the fight with the gnolls on the ground wasn't interesting enough and cast fly on himself to deal with the gnoll/wyvern threat. This was more-or-less fine with the rest of the party because the way Jalsgrim was role-played, he didn't really care too much about collataral damage and tended to drop AoE spells somewhat haphazardly - he was helpful to have around for some weird utilities and useful in combat as long as you were nowhere near his intended target (which appeared to switch at random).

Anyway, so Jalsgrim flew up to engange the gnoll/wyvern, about 150-ft. or so in the air. I think the DM (foolishly) expected the fight to be a few rounds of flyby attacks while Jalsgrim flung some DD spells as the gnoll. Nah, that simply wasn't Jalsgrim's style. :smallwink: As the gnoll was turning the wyvern back towards to party to engage Jalsgrim (they had just finished a bombing pass over the party), I attacked with Jalsgrim's favorite spell: polymorph other, targeted on the wyvern and turning it into...a beholder.

It was brown-trousers time for the gnoll rider, as the spell didn't grant the wyvern-turned-beholder the traditional flight ability of beholders. They plummetted from the sky, momentum carrying them back towards the combat on the ground as they fell. (Sadly, they missed the melee.)

The fall alone should probably have been enough damage to kill both the wyvern and the rider, but someone at the table asked "what about the alchemist's fire?" A few failed item saves later, and the beholder/wyvern and gnoll were a flaming greasemark.

Their air-support gone, and simply not knowing what to make of the display, the remaining gnolls decided to withdraw and beat it back into the hills never to be seen again (by our party). :smallbiggrin:

asphen fox
2008-08-05, 08:21 AM
My most memorable kill ever:

>First (and last) Encounter in the whole game, a Boss Battle

>> A bit of a background first:

Me and my DM have always been out to get each other so obviously I optimized my character, an Elven warblade 2/ Swordsage 3/ Scout 2/ Ranger 3 (It was gestalt, btw.), and waited for the campaign to start with two sets of readied maneuvers at hand (Optimized and Balanced). I happen to like the Tumble skill so I maxed it out.

>>> The Encounter:

It starts with my two other partymates (there were only three of us. One was a Pure Swordsage/ Ranger and the other was A rogue/ a class that I forgot to remember <_<.) inside a tavern (My DM likes cliche stuff, apparently) that has (for some strange reason) Zombie Minotours and an Entomber inside and me outside of the tavern (because I love the forest that was conveniently placed right outside of the tavern). Me (Note: I have the optimized maneuvers readied at the moment), being the dexterous and type won initiative and decided to attack the Boss (the Entomber). The DM (What an Ass!) laid out the battle field and placed me in a position wherein I can only approach the Entomber by passing through the Zombie Minotaurs (which would obviously trigger AoOs). Good thing I love Tumble :smallbiggrin: (the skill). I was able to move at full speed (8 squares) through the whole field and get to the Entomber immediately. I activated my maneuvers, Flaming Blade and (I think it was either Bone Crusher or Mountain Hammer), turned my Keen Shocking Burst Nervewrack Elven Thinblade and Flaming Elven Lightblade on and killed the Entomber.

The whole encounter was won (obviously <_<)

spamoo
2008-08-05, 05:20 PM
I have a second story although there was very little killing on my part. This occurred in my first ever game of dnd (3.5) and we were in the middle of a traditional dungeon crawl to find some Macguffin. We entered a chamber that contained an arrowhawk (although we all failed our spot checks). It charged at me and made its attack roll; Natural 1. In our rules a Natural 1 makes you roll to hit yourself. It managed to roll a Natural 20 on that roll. It again rolled a Natural 20 on its confirm crit roll. By our rules this meant that it made a check for insta-kill just as a confirm crit roll would be made. It rolled 17, more than enough to hit itself. We managed to see the awkward spectacle of an arrowhawk biting itself clean through the neck. Still a memorable kill to this day :smallbiggrin:

only1doug
2008-08-06, 10:01 AM
Heh, Just remembered this one:

Its a Player on Player kill from a Game of Cthulhu i was running.

One of the players decided to play a orphaned kid character which i warned him was inappropriate to the campaign at hand (Beyond the mountains of madness, go explore the antarctic)

the character all signed up on the expedition, the kid was refused, too young, not safe etc. but he was a very convincing kid and managed to get allowed along anyway, on the proviso that he has a guardian to look after him. none of the other party members wanted the job and no NPC was gonna touch it (i was trying to convince him to bring a more appropriate character) and eventually the kid (or his player) talked one of the other investigators into agreeing.

so the seas get a bit rough and everyone has to make con checks to avoid seasickness. the kid fails and is violently ill in another investigators cabin.

the "guardian" locks the kid up in their shared cabin with the window open and leaves him there... for 3 weeks... without ever looking in on him... (even after multiple prompts) eventually he returns to his cabin and finds the kids corpse. (3 weeks with no food or water in a cabin liberally stained with vomit)

the "guardian" covered it all up but the party know the truth...

Doug