PDA

View Full Version : Sources of SR

sonofzeal
2008-08-04, 02:37 PM
Alright, I'll be joining a campaign shortly and I know the DM loves arcane magic. He's outright admitted that the campaign will be high-combat and the enemy factions will have tones of wizards. So, how might one go about aquiring good SR, while keeping LA/HD as low as possible?

List so far:
Monk
Drow (+2 LA)
Maug (+3 LA, +2 HD)
Armor of SR (seriously pricy to keep compeditive)
Spellward Shirt (incarnum)

....yeah, I got nothin'. Any help?

(edit - campaign is ECL 9, core + completes, anything else needs the DM's permission)

Sinfire Titan
2008-08-04, 02:42 PM
Spellward Shirt, from MoI. SR 5+4/essentia invested. I've gotten it up to SR 46 at level 20.

Person_Man
2008-08-04, 03:30 PM
From the lists of stuff (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=662842):

Monk
Tattoed Monk 7, ecl 12, Complete Warrior, SR = 15+class
Enlightened Fist 9, ecl 14, Complete Arcane, SR = 10 + monk + class
Contemplative 7, ecl 17, Complete Divine, SR = 15 + class
Ur-priest 4, ecl 9, Complete Divine, SR = 15 against divine spells and SLA of outsiders, SR = 20 at level 8
Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries 7, ecl 12, Draconomicon, SR=15+class level
Spellward Shirt, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum
Dread Carapace, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum
Defiant 1, ecl 6, Planar Handbook, 15+class level, against divine mind affecting spells only, against all divine spells at level 10
Defiant 6, ecl 11, Planar Handbook, bestow SR on target, see text
Warrior of Darkness 8, ecl 13, Book of Vile Darkness, SR 20 (does not improve)
Celestial Mystic 9, ecl 16, Book of Exalted Deeds, SR 20 (does not improve)
Karsite, race, Tome of Magic, LA +2, SR= 10+class
Bauriar, race, Planar Handbook, LA +1, SR= 10+class
Daazzix's Vest, wondrous item, DMG2, +5 to SR
Boost Spell Resistance, feat, Book of Vile Darkness, +2 to SR (profane)
Gray Hand Enforcer 4, ecl 11, FR: Waterdeep - City of Splendors, SR = 5 + character level
Court Herald 12, ecl 19, Power of Faerun, SR = character level
Mythic Examplar (Ktolemagne) 8, ecl 12, Complete Champion, SR = 10 + arcane caster level
Exalted Spell Resistance, feat, Book of Exalted Deeds, +4 (untyped) to SR vs spells and SLA of evil outsiders
Celestial Mystic 9, ecl ?, Book of Exalted Deeds, SR 20
Swanmay 1, ecl 6, Book of Exalted Deeds, SR = 12 + Swanmay levels
Silver Key 5, ecl 8, Dragonmarked, "Sly Soul"
Psychic Refusal, feat, Drow of the Underdark, +4 to SR vs mind-affecting spells and abilities

Special Mention
Spellthief 15 - steal opponent's SR
Undo Resistance, feat, Fiendish Codex II, your sneak attacks lower opponent SR, see text
Eldritch Erotion - feat, Complete Scoundrel, your sneak attacks lower opponent SR, see text
Slayer 8, ecl 12, Expanded Psionics Handbook, each attack lowers power resistance by 1, see text
Demonwreaker 1, ecl 6, Expedition to the Demonweb Pits, bonus to overcome SR, automatically beat SR at level 5
Reactive Resistance, feat, Drow of the Underdark, lower SR as an immediate action

Most of these options suck. Bauriar is probably your best bet.

You might also want to consider my current favorite tank build:

Barbarian 2/Paladin of Freedom 3/Hellreaver 5 (Fiendish Codex 2).

Barbarian: Rage, Pounce (Comp Champion variant), Uncanny Dodge
Pal of Freedom: Cha to Saves, Immunity to Compulsion, Immunity to Disease.
Hellreaver: Immunity to Fear, Mettle, and the ability to heal 20 points of damage every round as a Swift Action, plus some other minor benefits.
Pick up a Ring of Evasion , and you're set for pretty much anything.

For a weaker core + completes version, consider:

Monk 2/Fighter 2/Hexblade 3/Blackguard 2

If your DM is a fan of RAW, Hexblade's Arcane Resistance (Cha to Saves vs. Spells) stacks with Blackguard's Dark Blessing (Cha to all Saves).

If your DM is bothered by the alignment thing, claim to be a Lawful Evil adventurer who's heart has been blackened by seeing constant death. You never lie, cheat, steal, or break any laws. But you you place zero value on life, joy, goodness, or doing things because its "the right thing to do." In many ways, Lawful Evil PC's are easier to manage then Chaotic Good ones.

sonofzeal
2008-08-04, 08:24 PM
Ugh, yeah, whole lotta not-much. I want to play as an Artificer here, which limits options a fair amount (the DM is "strongly encouraging" everyone to play as arcanists of some sort). I'll try talking the DM about options for Drow, but they seem underpowered for LA+2. Is there any way to bring them back into line?

sombrastewart
2008-08-04, 08:38 PM
LA +2 for a Karsite from Tome of Magic. They get 10 + character level as SR and heal when a spell fails to break SR. They just can't be casters. I don't know Artificer at all, so if this prevents you from artificing, apologies all around.