PDA

View Full Version : Make my spells a tad more powerful?

Roythebattousai
2008-08-04, 06:35 PM
I'm a Level 8 Cleric, so I can only use 4th level spells right now.

Keep in mind that I've really only just started D&D, and I really don't know that much about it.

Magma Mind
Conjuration
Level: Cleric 4
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Area: Lvl 8-9, Touch. All levels after 9, 10 ft + 5 ft/lvl
Target: One creature
Duration: 3 turns
Saving Throw: Wisdom (read text)
Spell Resistance: No

A snap of the fingers after reciting the words of old, "Ego recolligo incendias ex abyssum percellere malum," conjures an "imaginary," non-lethal ball of molten magma in the center of the target's brain. The target kneels down, writing in pain, but is not harmed by it. He suffers severe, brain melting headaches for 3 turns, keeping him from completing any rational thoughts or actions. If the target has a Wis score of at least half of the caster's Wis score, then he can roll a saving throw and try to force himself to realize that it is not real. At any time, this spell can be dispelled by any normal dispelling means, if detected.

Magma Mind Burst
Alteration
Saving Throw: None

In order for the cleric to cast this spell, he must sacrifice his own blood, or the blood of any holy creature, pouring/dripping it on a holy object of his deity.
A second snap of the fingers (with the first spell, Magma Mind, already active) causes the ball of magma to assume reality, slowly. In the first turn of birth, simply heats up, causing 1d4 damage to the victim, and permanently damaging the victims intelligence by 1. On the second turn, it becomes searing, dealing 4d4 additional damage to the victim, and 1 additional permanent intelligence damage. On the third turn, the ball explodes into fiery chunks of molten rock, dealing 6d10 damage, and 1d4 permanent intelligence damage. If the victim dies, his head explodes. If the target lives, he is simply incapacitated for one more turn. At any time, this spell can be dispelled by any normal dispelling means.

My DM has allowed me to create those, And I'd say they're pretty powerful as it is... but... I'm a powerthirsty sonofagun.

Can you guys find any ways to sneak in and milk a little bit more power out of the spells?

I thought about changing the spell level, thus doing more damage... but.....

Then I wouldn't be able to use it for longer. But If you guys can think of any good advancements that would make it worth it... that'd be great.

Roythebattousai
2008-08-04, 08:54 PM
Bump? Maybe? Is that allowed on these boards? I'm not sure.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-04, 09:04 PM
Dood, don't bump after 2 hours. Give people time to comment.

Are these supposed to work 3 turns or rounds each? A turn is one minute, a round is 6 seconds. Also, what the heck is a "wisdom" saving throw? Do you mean willpower?

In any case, these are awfully powerful. They don't need to be better, they're already too strong.

Ellisthion
2008-08-04, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I agree. They're already too powerful. As written, they should already be, oh, level 6 at least.

Starbuck_II
2008-08-05, 12:08 PM
Magma Mind
Conjuration
Saving Throw: Wisdom (read text)

A snap of the fingers after reciting the words of old, "Ego recolligo incendias ex abyssum percellere malum," conjures an "imaginary," non-lethal ball of molten magma in the center of the target's brain. The target kneels down, writing in pain, but is not harmed by it. He suffers severe, brain melting headaches for 3 turns, keeping him from completing any rational thoughts or actions. If the target has a Wis score of at least half of the caster's Wis score, then he can roll a saving throw and try to force himself to realize that it is not real. At any time, this spell can be dispelled by any normal dispelling means, if detected.

You didn't note the type of save (Will save).

You should note that the target is dazed (as takes no action).

So if Caster has 18 Wis, the target needs at least 9 Wis to make a save. Seems fine.

Sorta like a Hold Person, but save after first turn.
It does, however, seem strong to auto affect and no SR.

There shiould either be a initial save or something else. Maybe...

Magma Mind
Conjuration
Saving Throw: Will (see Text)
Spell Resistance: No.

A snap of the fingers after reciting the words of old, "Ego recolligo incendias ex abyssum percellere malum," conjures an "imaginary," non-lethal ball of molten magma in the center of the target's brain. The target kneels down, writing in pain, but is not harmed by it. He suffers severe, brain melting headaches for 3 turns, keeping him from completing any rational thoughts or actions. This effects the target as a dazed condition if he fails his save.

If the target has a Wis score of at least half of the caster's Wis score, then succeeding on the save imparts a -2 penalty to saves for 3 rounds instead. At any time, this spell (and either effect) can be dispelled by any normal dispelling means, if detected.

See now it is a suck or be suckier spell. Instead of a auto affect, but not that bad spell.

Magma Mind Burst
Alteration
Saving Throw: None

In order for the cleric to cast this spell, he must sacrifice his own blood, or the blood of any holy creature, pouring/dripping it on a holy object of his deity.
A second snap of the fingers (with the first spell, Magma Mind, already active) causes the ball of magma to assume reality, slowly. In the first turn of birth, simply heats up, causing 1d4 damage to the victim, and permanently damaging the victims intelligence by 1. On the second turn, it becomes searing, dealing 4d4 additional damage to the victim, and 1 additional permanent intelligence damage. On the third turn, the ball explodes into fiery chunks of molten rock, dealing 6d10 damage, and 1d4 permanent intelligence damage. If the victim dies, his head explodes. If the target lives, he is simply incapacitated for one more turn. At any time, this spell can be dispelled by any normal dispelling means.

This one is pretty strong.
Permanent damage. no save, non-typed damage (should it be fire?), and acts lik a death effect if kills (can't raise deadif head exploded I'd think).

valadil
2008-08-05, 12:25 PM
The first one is crazy powerful because of the wisdom save thing. A cleric will try to max his wisdom. Items included, it wouldn't be abnormal to see a cleric at level at with a 24 wisdom. That means you need a 12 or higher to even get a save. Most characters will not have a 12 wisdom unless they're a cleric, druid, or monk. Against everyone else, this is a shorter Otto's Irresistible Dance at half the level. IMHO that's too powerful.

I say cut the wisdom score shenanigans and just make it a will save. No other spells require a character to have a certain score to make the save. This does gimp it a little, so let's increase the duration to rounds/level. Now it's basically hold person, but without SR and with very different flavor. It's also conjuration which might makes it better if an arcane gets it since conjuration is very popular for spell focus.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-05, 12:44 PM
non-lethal ball of molten magma in the center of the target's brain.I like the way you think. Listen to the others' advice on balancing and standardizing, though.