PDA

View Full Version : Quick I need a name for..

Criz Reborn
2008-08-04, 06:37 PM
An assassins guild. Im playing an assassin character and my DM wants me to create the guild I want to work for so she can work it into her world. The guild works with the front of being a merchant guild. I also need a title for the top 5 assassins in the guild (think like elite 4, but less pokemon) I hate coming up with names bc I always second guess them. Any help appreciated

Roythebattousai
2008-08-04, 06:38 PM
Morag Tong.

MORROWIND FTW! Haha

monty
2008-08-04, 06:44 PM
An assassins guild. Im playing an assassin character and my DM wants me to create the guild I want to work for so she can work it into her world. The guild works with the front of being a merchant guild. I also need a title for the top 5 assassins in the guild (think like elite 4, but less pokemon) I hate coming up with names bc I always second guess them. Any help appreciated

Guild: Kill You In Your Sleep. So little appreciation for ironic names nowadays.

Titles: Number One through Number Five. Simple, but easy to remember. Don't want new members confused about who's in charge, after all.

Kazuel
2008-08-04, 06:48 PM
Well, I was going to say Morag Tong, but ya beat me too it. You can try Dark Brotherhood too =)

The latin trans for...
Death Dealer is Nex Paciscor
Dark Killing is Atrum caedes

Honestly just go to this website and put in some assassin type words and you'll find all the names you need.

http://www.translation-guide.com/free_online_translators.php?from=English&to=Latin

XiaoTie
2008-08-04, 06:54 PM
Hummm, how about, Black Blades for their real guild name, and Crimson Blades for the front merchant guild.

As for the assassins (in no order):

Goran Magadri
Maleck Swiftwind
Anara Morgadush
Loma Tyu
Carandesh Kuvodor

Maybe using monty's sugestion (Number One, etc) to use as their aliases.

Connington
2008-08-04, 07:06 PM
Depends on how overt you want to be. If the merchant thing is just a front, consider a name involving the word "Mort". That always gives the right atmosphere. Other words to consider, (possibly in dog latin): Silent, Night, Dark, Final, Sleep, Eternal, End.

Part of the naming of course, is how guild names work in your campaign world. Are they simply abstract(Mort Silis), or purely descriptive (Merchant Guild of Somewhere), or some where in between (Far Go Traders). Note that the more generic names will be found in places where that company has a near monopoly.

But that's probably a bit to generic for your situations.

When creating names for higher ups in shadowy organizations like this, I'd favor generic, non descriptive names. The Circle, The Five, or The Masters. Common assassins may use even more generic terms, such as the brass, higher ups, people with power and so on.

The Demented One
2008-08-04, 07:08 PM
The Iron Bell
The Gardener's Club
The Black Lotus Society
The Seven Unseen Stars
The Dusk Clan
The Raggedy Men

arguskos
2008-08-04, 07:24 PM
The Black Hand
The Sons of (insert some awesome NPC's name here)
The Fiend's Talons
The Blades of Darkness

Just some fun ones I like using.

-argus

Ned the undead
2008-08-04, 07:25 PM
The Brotherhood of the Kenneth.

Chymist
2008-08-04, 07:32 PM
The Circle of Blades has always been a favorite of mine.

Coplantor
2008-08-04, 07:51 PM
The travelling Griffin for the merchants.

The Silent Blades for the assasins

Titles:
- Night Father/Mother
- 4 Guardians of the night Known as number 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Names:

Veck Shalinas
Tepoleth Divium
Nordric DeLasimh
Thote Villigan
Hunshard Keylar
Forshark Meathid
Lendrick Osmoulth
Yegan Asmidian
FredThe travelling Griffin for the merchants.

The Silent Blades for the assasins

Titles:
- Night Father/Mother
- 4 Guardians of the night Known as number 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Names:

Veck Shalinas
Tepoleth Divium
Nordric DeLasimh
Thote Villigan
Hunshard Keylar
Forshark Meathid
Lendrick Osmoulth
Yegan Asmidian
Fred

Telonius
2008-08-04, 07:53 PM
Hm, assassins masquerading as legitimate merchants? If you're going for something a merchant might be able to say without sounding too suspicious, you could go for:

Acquisitions
Special Collections Division
The Late Fee

Or, if you're going for something a little more shadowy:

The Even Scales
The Kolyarut's Blades
Eyes of the Fury

For the titles:
Guildmaster: Chief Executive Officer
Lieutenants: Human Resource Managers
Captains: Crisis Managers
Sergeants: Collections Agents
Grunts: Executive Assistants

Collin152
2008-08-04, 07:55 PM
The Gilded Oak Gentleman's Club.

Zeta Kai
2008-08-04, 08:04 PM
Corpses 'R Us™
Corpses 'R Us™, proud to offer you the best in discreet diplomat disposal, quiet courier killing, & stealthy servant slaying, is having a sale! Buy 6 assassinations, & your seventh is only 1GP! That's right! You can't buy cheaper murders anywhere else!

And remember: all of our contracts come with plausible deniability, & are backed by our special guarantee! If we can't eliminate your target, we'll summon a marilith who can!* No other assassin's guild in the kingdom can make you an offer like that! Call now, or just ask around the Mule's Ass Tavern.
*No refunds.

Co-Founder & Chairman: “Hatchet” Holnol Cutson
Executive Members

“Rateye” Roldo
Aed-Uar the Clubber
“Slingshot” Sesha
Zolak
Madam Hingal
Nol the Coin
“Skull Cracker” Zcaeño (AKA “Scary” Zcaeño)
the Lurker
Brother Wesko, the Evangelist
Sir Orean
Kadrel, the Sea Devil
Gem-Eye Jutha
Bagurax the Blade

arguskos
2008-08-04, 08:14 PM
Having re-read this, and having missed out on the top 5 names thing, I present to you, The Black Hand Merchant's Guild!

The Black Hand Merchant's Guild
Leader: (whoever you have), The Black Hand
Chief of Executions: Dymtryk Anchev
Chief of Acquisitions: Alier Lightfoot
Chief of Inquisitions: Sethle the Silent
Chief of Dispositions: Gaal Woadworth

NOTE: The chiefs of executions and acquisitions are easy (one kills folks, the other steals stuff and gets supplies for the chief of executions). The chief of inquisitions is the intelligence officer, who sneaks about and scopes out the targets. He's a puppetmaster, basically. The chief of dispositions is a misdirector. He runs the "Merchant's Guild" aspect of the group, and keeps everyone's spirits in the right place (ie. in the merchant frame of mind) and makes sure the fuzz doesn't start sniffing around.

-argus

kjones
2008-08-04, 09:06 PM
My assassin's guild was called the Lunar Emirate. They were pretty cool.

Da Beast
2008-08-04, 09:41 PM
http://www.behindthename.com/

Use the name generator for all you NPC needs.

Jastermereel
2008-08-05, 12:09 PM
"Ketch, Hare, Burke, and Ketch" from Neil Gaiman's brilliant short story We Can Get Them For You Wholesale.

For those not familiar with the work, here's a short illustrated adaptation: http://www.kenmeyerjr.com/comics/story_wholesale1.htm

playswithfire
2008-08-05, 12:39 PM
Caesim Sumpti - (probably butchered) Latin for "slashing prices" :smallbiggrin:

I'll think about NPC names

EDIT: ok, here are the npcs (thanks brennus for reminding me about behindthename):

Donato Itzal, male; guildmaster
Hasan Lamya, male; master of poisons
Sindri Chernobog, male; master of magics
Kali Kajani, female; master of blades
Jin Li, female; master of finances

AslanCross
2008-08-05, 04:48 PM
-Gehenna's Gate
-For Wizards who moonlight as assassins: Power Word: Kill
-The Jolly Headtakers or simply "The Takers"
-If they use Crossbows instead? "Shoots and Leaves."

F.L.
2008-08-05, 04:54 PM
For my guild, I didn't bother with a name, as nobody will find out who they are, obviously. For the ranks of their agents, I went with a progression of incorporeal undead, phantom, wraith, ghost, etc. Something like that may work.

Phantom
Wraith
Ghost
Specter
Banshee

mabriss lethe
2008-08-05, 07:19 PM
Well, The more covert the guild, the more mundane the name, titles and slang should be. First of all, what sort of merchandise do they front? Stay away from weapons and such because travelling arms dealers make terrible assassins. Everyone is at least a little suspicious of them in the first place.

It's better if said item they front can be used as a clever euphamism in their darker trade. if they pose as grain merchants, there can be a lot of euphamism about reaping, sowing, wheat and chaff.

maybe wines and spirits. codewords might involve someone being "corked" or "this vintage has turned."
you get the idea.

Titles should have something to do with the public face of the guild as well. When discussing business, keep the terminology as vague as possible. I'm reminded of the Vlad Taltos novels. If someone is an assassin, then he's always identified as "someone who does Work."

The Association has a very nice, generic ring to it, doesn't it. That in itself isn't enough. The full title, should be "The Association of X" or something like that, to take our previous examples, it coule be the "The Association of Allied Grain Merchants" or "The Wine and Spirit Factors Association of Carcosa."

Top ranks could be Chairman and Vice Chairman for the top two, then have three Directors. Director of Acquisitions (detailed with recruiting new field agents.) Director of Resources (detailed with overseeing the distribution of "jobs" and the training of agents.) Director of Internal Auditing ( In charge of Association security and making sure that traitors and potential leaks get silenced.) Associate seems to be a good generic name for all members of the organization, whether they work for the legitimate end of the Association of for the covert end as well. That's the other key, Whatever front they use must be moderately profitable and give them an excuse to be anywhere. That means that while small portion of the Association might be in the know about the darker dealings, the vast majority are exactly what they seem to be, merchants profiting by cooperating with a professional guild.

Xuincherguixe
2008-08-05, 07:32 PM
Fall of the flowers

And uh... I guess the assassins could have flower names like "Rose" or "Carnation".

Or you can go the other way.

Fist of exploding death

And they could have excessive names, like "Screaming Murder", "Burning Chainsaw Jim", "Slaughtering Saber" (though I guess the first and last ones sound like magic items...)