PDA

View Full Version : New Server

FdL
2008-08-04, 06:52 PM
What's with the new server? Has there been any information you'd like to disclose to us users about it?

Because, you know, it just happened and this works better now. And I was actually thinking that if it did, maybe some of the restricted features could be brought back.

This was just a thought, so if there's an internal policy of not disclosing this stuff or just not talking about them, don't mind me.

Siosilvar
2008-08-04, 09:16 PM
All that I know is that the search function now has a 2-minute delay instead of a 5-minute delay, and it's not cropping up with "server busy" things when I try to post.

Fan
2008-08-05, 02:47 AM
Meh, everyday at 4:03AM it stalls out till 4:10 am, which is really annoying for those of us on at those times.

Jibar
2008-08-05, 05:01 AM
That's the server downtime, and that used to go for 20-30 minutes before the move.
Trust me, it's both necessary and very good.

Castaras
2008-08-05, 05:44 AM
It's when everything's backed up. Aka: Good thing.

Ya, the server is definitely better.

Rawhide
2008-08-05, 08:10 AM
Correct. That is the server backup window. That is not going away, though it has been greatly reduced.

As for other features, I'm not even going to think of touching them until after my exam. Then I'll talk with Rich about what we might be able to trial re-enabling. Be aware that this will be a long, slow and gradual process with one thing being changed at a time. Not everything will return and that some things would just return the current server back to where it was when they were first disabled.

Volug
2008-08-05, 08:32 AM
Correct. That is the server backup window. That is not going away, though it has been greatly reduced.

YES! YES! Cookie for refrance

That thing was so annoying!

feltex
2008-08-05, 08:57 AM
Didn't there used to be a jump to strip #___?

Zeb The Troll
2008-08-05, 09:07 AM
There still is. From the comic page, click on the icon that looks like a sheet of paper and it'll give you the archive list. That's the only way I recall ever being able to jump to a specific strip.

banjo1985
2008-08-05, 09:11 AM
With or without some of the old functionality returning, this new server has bought about a great improvement. To be honest I'm just happy to be able to log on and post more than two days in a row without finding the forums inaccessible. If the polls etc come back then even better.

Rawhide
2008-08-05, 09:29 AM
Polls will not be returning.

Jibar
2008-08-05, 09:40 AM
What about those little custom messages we could have under our avatar that most of us ended up using the location for instead?

Ego Slayer
2008-08-05, 12:59 PM
What about those little custom messages we could have under our avatar that most of us ended up using the location for instead?
Oooohh, man, the custom message things. God, it's been so long since we had those, I can't even remember what any of us put there. :smalltongue:

Anyway, I thought that we didn't even have that feature after we left the old server. :smallconfused: And we don't even have the long Location character limit.

What else is there for us to get back? Members list, PM notification, and that "view first unread" thingy, which I don't even remember how it'd changed, since we're so used to how it is now... What else?

Oh, random Search question: Why does it only display 500 results? Why can't I view EVERY post a user has ever made? Was this something that was changed and can it be fixed? It's the one single thing that really irks me, especially when trying to find something non-specific, or post date-related (doesn't even work if you look for posts from a "year or older" because it's still only going to show 500 posts).

Pyro
2008-08-05, 01:30 PM
To echo others I'm just happy being able to log on without the forums stalling on me.

Jibar
2008-08-05, 01:39 PM
Anyway, I thought that we didn't even have that feature after we left the old server. :smallconfused: And we don't even have the long Location character limit.

No, but if I can't have a display user name seperate from my account username that I can change obsessively daily, I'd like something to work with.
The Location bar just isn't the same!
I remember the good ol' days of giving myself a different title everytime I think of something.

Calamity
2008-08-05, 01:55 PM
No, but if I can't have a display user name seperate from my account username that I can change obsessively daily, I'd like something to work with.
The Location bar just isn't the same!
I remember the good ol' days of giving myself a different title everytime I think of something.

Heh, I remember that. Good times. I never changed my display name though when I had the chance. Shame.

Sneak
2008-08-05, 02:01 PM
I miss being able to change my name. Also, I miss having multiple accounts and wreaking havoc and sowing confusion. But neither of those are likely to be brought back. I wonder why...? :smalltongue:

valadil
2008-08-05, 02:02 PM
I agree that the new server is performing a whole lot better. Would you guys ever consider two separate machines? Before the problems got bad I remember the forums performed badly on days when a new comic came out. Might make sense to have separate servers for comic and forums, though I have no idea if the cost can be justified.

Emperor Demonking
2008-08-05, 02:38 PM
I agree that the new server is performing a whole lot better. Would you guys ever consider two separate machines? Before the problems got bad I remember the forums performed badly on days when a new comic came out. Might make sense to have separate servers for comic and forums, though I have no idea if the cost can be justified.

But the server is now perfect.

Jack Squat
2008-08-05, 04:08 PM
What else is there for us to get back? Members list, PM notification, and that "view first unread" thingy, which I don't even remember how it'd changed, since we're so used to how it is now... What else?

The calendar with birthdays, the quick post window, that little bar that lets you jump inbetween forums, and that's all I can think of right now.

Rawhide
2008-08-05, 04:34 PM
You need to differentiate what was disabled due to the server problems and what changed due to the forum software switch from YaBB to vBulletin. ie. display name changes, personal text, searching, etc.

Also, this isn't a request thread for what you would like to see enabled.

P.S. Trust me, having the site try to display 5000 search matches in entirety is not a good idea.

Zeb The Troll
2008-08-05, 05:13 PM
*coughMultiquotecough*

Ego Slayer
2008-08-05, 05:22 PM
LOL. I missed a lot of stuff. Quick-post. D: How I've... totally forgotten you even existed. :smalltongue: Meh, I'm so used to a feature-bare forum, anything at all getting re-enabled would kick arse. Hell, it kicks arse that we have a lag free forum now. That in itself is enough for me. :P

P.S. Trust me, having the site try to display 5000 search matches in entirety is not a good idea.
Yeah, I get that. However, I wish the advanced Search options were... more advanced. Like being able to, say, Search through things between specific dates, not just "6 months or before". *shrug* Just my only gripe. [/ComplainyEgo]
>>
Sorry.
*find rock to hide under and be good*

FdL
2008-08-05, 06:35 PM
*coughMultiquotecough*

Multiquote sounds like the sort of useful feature (ie, actually does something, it's not just for "fun") that I'd like to have back.

Jibar
2008-08-06, 02:18 AM
You need to differentiate what was disabled due to the server problems and what changed due to the forum software switch from YaBB to vBulletin. ie. display name changes, personal text, searching, etc.

Oh yeah.
I always forget that we switch board instead of server then.
Dammit. Bye bye personal messages.

NerfTW
2008-08-06, 06:43 AM
Multiquote sounds like the sort of useful feature (ie, actually does something, it's not just for "fun") that I'd like to have back.

When I hear multiquote, I think of the inevitable "hourglass" quotes caused by jerks who just quote the entire previous thread, resulting in each post having all previous posts contained in them.

Zherog
2008-08-06, 08:41 AM
When I hear multiquote, I think of the inevitable "hourglass" quotes caused by jerks who just quote the entire previous thread, resulting in each post having all previous posts contained in them.

Heh. I hate that. I'm OK with sometimes having a quote chain go two deep, when it helps better explain things. But otherwise - yeah, that's a pain in the ass.

The multiquote being talked about here is a great feature. Each post gets a little "plus" icon next to the quote button. As you read a thread, you press the button on each post you wish to reply to. When you're ready, you hit the reply button, and all the posts you marked are quoted in your message window. The alternative is to have two windows/tabs open and copy/paste back and forth between the two.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-06, 08:47 AM
Multiquote, Quickreply, PM Pop-Up Notification, and view unread posts are the ones I want back.

I figure we stand a chance of all but the last (its a resource hog).

Roland St. Jude
2008-08-06, 09:21 AM
Also, this isn't a request thread for what you would like to see enabled...

I'm not sure what else there is to discuss on this topic, though, so this thread is about ready for locking. Regarding the OP, I'm not the new server expert, but I think if we had news to disclose, we'd disclose it.

Bender
2008-08-06, 03:46 PM
Seems like the new server is great...
I just can't access it... :smallfrown:
Is there any reason why that could be, or anything I can do about it? Both at work and at home (same network) I just get a "failed to load server" message. Is there any software used that could be blocked by some internet providers? I really can't imagine why this site specifically would be blocked, since I can reach other fora/webcomics. (e.g. "peer to peer" and "bit torrents" are blocked)
And it would be too coincidential for my taste that someone happened to decide to block something at exactly the same time the server moved :smallannoyed:
(for those wondering: I'm at my parents home now, and apparently, I can reach this site just fine here)

Second question: is there any mirror site where I could still see the oots comics? I really can't live without those :smalleek:. Although I liked this forum, there are substitutes imaginable, but the webcomic is truly irreplacable.

Renegade Paladin
2008-08-06, 03:48 PM
If you can't access it, how are you posting? :smallconfused:

Destro_Yersul
2008-08-06, 03:52 PM
He's at his parents place. Says so in the brackets.

Roland St. Jude
2008-08-06, 03:53 PM
Is there any reason why that could be, or anything I can do about it? Both at work and at home (same network) I just get a "failed to load server" message. Is there any software used that could be blocked by some internet providers? I really can't imagine why this site specifically would be blocked, since I can reach other fora/webcomics. (e.g. "peer to peer" and "bit torrents" are blocked)
And it would be too coincidential for my taste that someone happened to decide to block something at exactly the same time the server moved :smallannoyed:
(for those wondering: I'm at my parents home now, and apparently, I can reach this site just fine here)

Second question: is there any mirror site where I could still see the oots comics? I really can't live without those :smalleek:. Although I liked this forum, there are substitutes imaginable, but the webcomic is truly irreplacable.

You may have the same problem discussed in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85604). See Rawhide's suggestions in posts 2, 4, and 6. If those don't work, you may want to post more information here or PM him.

FdL
2008-08-06, 06:05 PM
Go crazy, close the thread then. New server is like the Fight Club then, first and second rules :s

Rawhide
2008-08-06, 06:08 PM

Assuming you are running Windows, try clicking on Start> Run>, type "cmd" (sans quotes) then press OK, type "ipconfig /flushdns" (sans quotes again) and press Enter. If it doesn't work after that, try using a different browser (Firefox if you use Internet Explorer or vice versa).

Failing that, contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and tell them that you are unable to connect to www.giantitp.com (IP address 174.133.238.154).

At the same time, if you can PM me or email the following information to webmaster at thisdomain.com (of course, replace " at " with "@" and "thisdomain" with "giantitp").

Your IP address
A traceroute (tracert) to giantitp.com from your computer

IP Address

Click on Start
Click on Run
Type "cmd" (sans quotes) and press Enter
Type "ipconfig" (sans quotes again) and press Enter
Without closing that window, open a browser and go to whatismyip.com
Copy and paste both results in a PM to me or email to the giantitp webmaster address above

Traceroute (tracert)

Click on Start
Click on Run
Type "cmd" (sans quotes) and press Enter
Type "tracert giantitp.com" (sans quotes again) and press Enter
Copy and paste the results in a PM to me or email to the giantitp webmaster address above

---

Go crazy, close the thread then. New server is like the Fight Club then, first and second rules :s

FdL, firstly I will direct you to this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79874).

We have nothing more to say because there is nothing more to say yet.

I'm not even going to think of touching them until after my exam. Then I'll talk with Rich about what we might be able to trial re-enabling. Be aware that this will be a long, slow and gradual process with one thing being changed at a time. Not everything will return and that some things would just return the current server back to where it was when they were first disabled.

Shadow
2008-08-07, 01:05 AM
Actually, I had a question about the new server that I just never bothered to ask. Until now I guess.

E-mail notification of posts? There are certain threads that I really liked getting notification of. Even when I'm here at the time.
(SMBG Structured Games to be exact)
I loved the fact that I had the original post if/when something got edited. You have no idea how many times I've used that in the games....

Anyway, I never get any now. I've even deleted all of the notifications and re-enabled them.
Nothing.

Was it because of the server change, or was it a decision that was made by you guys?
If it was because of the server change, will we be getting that feature back?

edit: The option is still there, it just doesn't work.

Nychta
2008-08-07, 03:37 AM
I think the new "Database busy" popup windows are made out of win. Sure, they may come on at my prime time to access the boards, but I know when to check back and everything. I really like it.

Rawhide
2008-08-07, 03:47 AM
I think the new "Database busy" popup windows are made out of win. Sure, they may come on at my prime time to access the boards, but I know when to check back and everything. I really like it.

Heck, they come on at my prime time too, and I set up the darn thing!

Shadow
2008-08-07, 03:55 AM
But, but, but... I had a question too...

*bats eyelashes*

Rawhide
2008-08-07, 04:03 AM
But I can't answer that... We didn't take anything away in the move. If its not working then something somewhere along the line isn't working. It could be related to the other problems people are having accessing the site. I'm going to look this end when I get a chance, but I suggest you check all of your settings to make sure that the mail is not being filtered, you could also ask your ISP/mail provider if they are filtering giantitp.com or 174.133.238.154.

Shadow
2008-08-07, 04:06 AM
Cool. That's what I was looking for.

I'll double check my filters, but I haven't messed with 'em, so... *shrugs*
Thanks.

Rawhide
2008-08-07, 04:09 AM
Also might want to check with your ISP or mail provider, due to the IP address being very new, they might be filtering it as bogus.

Shadow
2008-08-07, 04:13 AM
Humph. That must be what it was, because they are indeed in my spam folder.
I guess I just never thought of that. Makes sense. New IP means new 'virtual addy" means it's not familiar anymore.
*goes to edit filters*

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-08-07, 07:25 AM
If you can't access it, how are you posting? :smallconfused:
He already told you, 'cause he's psychic:

:smalltongue:

DavesNotHere
2008-08-17, 11:06 PM
Rawhide, your prior post is good and has lots of info, but it still doesn't help me much.

At work, I am unable to access the new server at all.
Pinging doesn't help, our corp firewalls prevent that. Same with tracert.

When I do an nslookup I get an IP address which is not the address you list.
Heck here at home I don't get that address either.

My company's IT doesn't care for non-work related access, so complaining to them is not a good idea. So it looks like I will not be able to access the new server during the day, until something changes.

Dave.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-18, 01:07 AM
Try a proxy dave. Odd's are its something in the corp firewall thats blocking you.

Charity
2008-08-18, 02:06 AM
http://www.compuplus.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/hal.jpg

I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Dave..

NerfTW
2008-08-18, 10:29 AM
At work, I am unable to access the new server at all.

My company's IT doesn't care for non-work related access, so complaining to them is not a good idea. So it looks like I will not be able to access the new server during the day, until something changes.

Could it be that your company is just manually blocking the server because they don't want you on a message board at work? Shocking, I know.

Zeta Kai
2008-08-18, 12:10 PM
I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Dave..

Well played, good sir. Well played.

DavesNotHere
2008-08-18, 09:31 PM
Could it be that your company is just manually blocking the server because they don't want you on a message board at work? Shocking, I know.

No, I -KNOW- when a site is blocked. I get a full screen of "you have trying to access a website against our rules, blah, blah... if you persist we will report you to management!" All I have to do is try to visit theOnion.com "blocked for mature content" to see that is working.

When I try to get this new server, it goes off for a number of minutes and times out. I suspect that if the request is getting out to the right place, the response is slower than our firewalls will recognize.

----
RE: 2001 :wink:Verry good - the Windows sounds on my laptop are from 2001.
Startup - I'm completely operational and all my circuits are functioning perfectly.
Shutdown - My mind is going... I can feel it..
Device insertion - Open the pod bay doors Hal!
I have a few others but they can get tiresome.

Deth Muncher
2008-08-18, 10:02 PM
----
RE: 2001 :wink:Verry good - the Windows sounds on my laptop are from 2001.
Startup - I'm completely operational and all my circuits are functioning perfectly.
Shutdown - My mind is going... I can feel it..
Device insertion - Open the pod bay doors Hal!
I have a few others but they can get tiresome.

EEK! How do you get it to do that? I need my computer to do that.

Serpentine
2008-08-18, 10:27 PM
Polls will not be returning.Awwwwwwwwwwwww spoot :frown:

NerfTW
2008-08-19, 06:44 AM
No, I -KNOW- when a site is blocked. I get a full screen of "you have trying to access a website against our rules, blah, blah... if you persist we will report you to management!" All I have to do is try to visit theOnion.com "blocked for mature content" to see that is working.

Fine, but if you won't ask IT to do the things mentioned because you know they won't approve, you probably just shouldn't be doing it anyways. Work is for work, not message boards.

Rawhide
2008-08-19, 07:05 AM
Please go to www.whatismyip.com and PM me the IP address it gives you. That should be your company's external IP address (the IP address that the world sees) and might give the hosting company enough information.