PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Survival Game

Falrin
2008-08-04, 09:02 PM
WARNING: MINOR ZOMBIEMOVIE SPOILERS (Dawn & Land of the Dead, days)

I'm starting an ordinary 10th LvL game that will turn on the players very fast. Huge undead outbreak ensues and we've got the regular survival game.

The Players

Limits on spells & classes will be forced upon them. Both for their sake (hey, don't play a charming bard) as for my precious undead (no no on the Radiant PrC). This will keep balance and atmosphere, wich is very important.

The Enemy

Your run of the mill zombie will not cut it, so some homebrewing will be in order. But first I'll have to find a direction: Probably a mix of loads of regular, stupid, slow zombies (might go for some Mob/Swarm rule there) with some more specialized ones.
-Some fast 28days flesh hungry critters. Good for a scaring players that want to run past some feasting on a corpse.
-Some small disease spreading decaying rat/spider/bat/animal zombies. Great way to spread the disease where you'd least expect it.
-Some big, fat though guys. DR, hp, regen, ... Great for knocking down a hide-out or blocking an exit.
-Some smarter undead, probably with a few special abilities up their sleeve. This will present a chalange and allows some use of tactics when the players get in a safeplace.

I probably don't need a contamination mechanics as cinematic effects will rule the world. I'm going for the 'some people are resistant' from Planet Terror.

The Game

It will be more a sandbox then your typical dungeon. I do divide the game up in certain situations that the players will encounter.

1: The Statue of Liberties head.

The outbrake and game will find place in a Big city. Earthquake. Players to the resque. When they're busy resqueing orphans and other innocent creatures a big (going cloverfield there) undead errupts. A big outburst of gas/special undead/negative energy companies the fellow. 90% of the people drop dead. Just to stand up again.

2: Where's the mall.

Chased by hordes of zombies the players need ot find a hideout in this. The infestation is spreading fast and while running trough the streets, other survivors tag along. They can chose some buildings like temples, police station, a wizards tower, a big mansion, ... . The local castle will be firmly closed.

3: Shopping spree.

Supplies will be needed. Some bookkeeping and realistic carrying capacities will be forced upon the players. They'll probably need to get out and find food, weapons and other utility stuff. Going over the roofs might work here.

4: There's a Truck coming.

Other survivers arrive, but strand just before the door. Try to get them inside. Hope they brought rope from their supply raid.

5: The Big Fat Lady.

Something will get in, be it small animals or some survivors, that are infected. Slow working infection with a sudden change might keep the players on their toes. Infection will be a purely cinematic thing. Some will change abrupt, some gradualy and some don't. Bites, blood, gass or negative energy can all cause this.

6: Pimp my Ride.

The escape. That big fellow from the start returns and is coming straight at them. They need to move and fast. I might actually give them a cart and a downhill road, might be fun.

7: The Army will Save us.

They encounter a stronghold of some mercenary types. Less pleasant encounter with this though crowd. A tortured zombie will be inside for well timed breakout. The weak are neglected and probably the leader will decide they are a waste of space and food. The players can save the day.

8: Waiting 28 days.

It will be a little harder finding the cure. Maybe a contacting some famous cleric? Or take out the Big Fellwo that caused this.

Other mood setting encounters:

-Fast zombies feasting on a dead corpse attacking the players with an unseen fury and speed.

-Hi mom, where's dad? Oops. Relatives, friends and other unwanted encounters. Probably with the needed confusion about who (and what) they are.

-The oprhan. Small girl hiding in her closet with her parents trying to get in. Try fighting 10k zombies wile holding a litlle girls hand.

The World

Say goodbye to free healing. Any good rules around for lowmagic first aid?
Say goodbye to easy transport. Fly, Teleports and others have to go.
Say goodbye to Disrupting weapon and other anti-undead spells/abilities.

All suggestions for further mood setters, mechanics for a grittier world, zombie types or encoutnerhooks are welcome.

Recaiden
2008-08-04, 11:45 PM
I recommend the use of these templates from shown on Crystalkeep
Zombie, Bloodthirsty
(has a cruel claw attacks that it seems to enjoy using) (LM p173)
Template that can be applied to any Zombie.
Gains Feat: Improved Critical (bite)
CR +1
Gains a Bite attack that does the same damage as its Slam attack.
Blood Drain – if the Bloodthirsty Zombie makes a Critical Hit with its Bite attack on a living creature, it also does 1 point of Constitution damage.

Zombie, Fast (able to move as fast (if not faster!) than the base creature (LM p173)
+2 Dodge bonus to AC CR +½
+30’ land movement (max 2x base creature’s land speed). Also, the Fast Zombie can Run normally. Fast Zombies are not limited to one Standard Action per round, but are limited to one attack per round.

Zombie, Hunting (able to follow prey by smell) (LM p173)
Wis 14 (instead of 10 like normal zombies)
CR +½ Have the Scent special ability.
+4 Racial bonus on Listen & Spot checks.

Zombie, Unkillable (the body keeps fixing itself) (LM p173)
CR +1 Gains Feat: Improved Toughness, which grants +1hp per HD.
Fast Healing 5.

Just make sure the players understand their options (give them several good ones) and if they find a strategy that lets them easily defeat the undead, let it work for one goal and change things on them.

Falrin
2008-08-05, 05:44 AM
Thanks very nice templates. Easy and handy to use.

Zeta Kai
2008-08-05, 05:52 AM
If you need anything else, feel free to check out Resident Evil D20 (see signature).