PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't Pay Attention in Class- my amusing doodlings

Banov
2008-08-04, 11:43 PM
http://someplace.comicgen.com

I have problems when it comes to paying attention in class.

Big Problems.

My notebooks all consist of 75-95% doodle with only 5-25% actual notes. Over the years I've saved a few notebooks if only to preserve those doodles. And one day I thought, "Hey, what if I could put all these drawings to use?" So I started putting them on the internet, as a webcomic. That's what this is.

Fun Fact: Every comic has flyover text. For those who are not aware, it's a secret message that pops up when you hover your mouse over it for a little.

Please give your best C&C

falconire
2008-08-04, 11:58 PM
If I were you I'd redraw your work on clean white paper, then ink it, scan it and then put the lettering in. Right now the artwork is hard to see, very messy, and seems to go nowhere. Also, try using panel structure to help tell your story.

Banov
2008-08-05, 12:10 AM
Did... did you even read what the site is about, or are you just sarcastically making fun of the concept? >__>;

falconire
2008-08-05, 12:22 AM
No, I'm not making fun of you or anything. I understand that they are doodles; however when I tried to read what you've put up that was my reaction. I'm only trying to offer advise to make it look more professional.

Banov
2008-08-08, 12:58 AM
I appreciate that you took the time to read and respond, but your suggestion's sort of the opposite direction from what I'm trying to do here. They're class doodles. That's their appeal. Making them any more than that takes said appeal away.

Linkavitch
2008-08-08, 09:49 AM
I think the concept is awesome. Go Banov!

Kurald Galain
2008-08-08, 11:37 AM
I agree that the contrast is too low. Doodles or no, they are hard to read on some screens (e.g. mine) because they appear as dark gray on slightly darker gray.

pickleninja
2008-08-11, 09:30 AM
Don't redraw anything. spiral notebook is an appropriate medium. They're doodles...not to be taken as anything else.

If he were to redraw it on unlined paper it wouldn't fit with his background either.

the only suggestion I would make is either write the text in pencil on the paper using the lines...or photoshop the final product with speech bubbles or boxes to make the text stand out.

Either way good job :smallsmile:

-Scott

hatgreeting
2008-08-11, 09:40 AM
Fun doodles - I would scan instead of doing photos though, or at least adjust the contrast in photoshop/gimp a little.

http://www.amazon.com/Visioneer-OneTouch-Ultra-Slimline-Flatbed-Scanner/dp/B0000DFZ6A/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1218465560&sr=8-13

Less than $30! :)

Banov
2008-08-11, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I went back and upped the contrast on all my queued pages-- I was amazed at what a difference it made! I'll be doing that from now on.

On one of my pages I put the text in semitransparent boxes because there was a heavy amount of text (from the source material) around it... it did look pretty nice, so I'll start doing that from now on, too. My main concern was with space but I'm sure I can make it work.

About photos vs scanning... I prefer photos because it's just so much faster. When I started off I had a dozen+ old notebooks that I had to go through, picking out my favorite pages and then getting them on my computer. I ended up with about 100 pages... way too slow to scan one by one. But with a digital camera, I could get as many as I wanted. With less than an hour of photographing, I was able to get them all.

I still like to add new doodles only in large batches... so photographing is just much more convenient. I think with the new contrast alterations, there won't be any more trouble.

Arlion
2008-08-22, 09:17 PM
awsome!!kind of what i do on contability class

Jayngfet
2008-08-24, 11:11 PM
Frankly I don't even bother to take down notes at this point, who cares about how the sun works when you can make a wizard:smallbiggrin:.

Banov
2008-09-22, 04:57 PM
Frankly I don't even bother to take down notes at this point, who cares about how the sun works when you can make a wizard:smallbiggrin:.
It's not really so conscious a decision for me... I just enter a sort of boredom-induced trance and this stuff just pours out of me xp