PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Replacing paragon path powers?

Kiara LeSabre
2008-08-05, 05:12 AM
So I just ran into something that I realized I'm not sure how it actually works, and I'm curious as to what others think.

On pages 27-28, it says that at levels 13, 15, 17 ... etc. ... you can replace "any encounter attack power that you know" and "any daily attack power that you know" ... "from your class" ... with a new one of your current level (or lower, if you wish).

It also says on page 28 that you "can't replace a power that's a class feature ... or a power gained from a paragon path or epic destiny." However, it says that in the context of and under the heading of "Retraining," which is actually a different matter than replacing powers as you gain levels, so it's unclear whether that applies to replacing as you gain levels or not.

So then ... what if you wanted to replace, say, your 11th-level paragon path encounter power with your shiny new 13th-level encounter attack power? Does knowing it from your paragon path count as knowing it "from your class"? Does the prohibition on paragon path power replacement in the context of optional retraining extend to the automatic replacements that come with leveling at 13 and beyond?

I can't quite pin down (or find) an answer to this.

Dhavaer
2008-08-05, 05:42 AM
The tables for powers for higher level characters in the DMG assume that the character will always swap out their lowest level power, and list the paragon powers differently. This would seem to indicate that you cannot swap out powers from your paragon path.

Crow
2008-08-05, 11:25 AM
Your Paragon Path doesn't count as your class.

KillianHawkeye
2008-08-05, 07:12 PM
For additional proof, notice that your Class powers will be listed as "Fighter Attack 13" for example. Whereas your Paragon Path powers will be listed as "Kensai Attack 11" for example.

Notice the difference?