PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Monster Trained Skills and then some

AslanCross
2008-08-05, 08:33 AM
Maybe I'm just blind, but I've been trying to look for guidelines in the "DM's Toolbox" section of the DMG regarding giving monsters skill training. Some monsters (the Werewolf, for example) have several trained skills, while other monsters of the same role and level have none. Any thoughts on this?

Furthermore, there's the issue of having special abilities like the Werewolf's blood rage and regeneration.

The DM's Toolbox seems to cover every aspect of making a monster in detail except for these two areas.

Starsinger
2008-08-05, 08:35 AM
I believe you just make them up, comparing them against other creatures of similar levels for a guideline. (So you don't have level 1 goblin minions with an aura that causes blindness and weakness)

And I think you just assign skills to monsters....

Human Paragon 3
2008-08-05, 08:36 AM
I think that's an area where you just have to use your judgement. It's hard to gauge exactly how strong a special abillity like blood rage, the zerth cennobite's trace chance, a dragon's breath weapon or a kobold's shifty are. You just need to try and keep it balanced. In my experience, adding on a special or or changing a special or switching a special can make a monster a little harder, but not enough to change it's level unles the ability is very strong or does more damage than the guide usually allows for.

As for skills, you could probably train the monster in every skill there is without making it much more challenging in combat. Just give it whatever skills you think it should have.

AslanCross
2008-08-05, 09:13 AM
Hmm, yeah, I figured the skills don't affect combat so much. I guess the skill training is just tied to flavor. Obviously an Ogre Savage wouldn't have Arcana.

The abilities are a lot harder to wing, though.