PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a good free fantasy MMO?

mistformsquirrl
2008-08-05, 10:22 AM
Hey all! I've been an MMO gamer for... well ages now <. .> Its kinda my thing. At any rate, I'm currently playing Tabula Rasa and City of Heroes, and I enjoy both... but there are times where I want a dose of fantasy in my day, and unfortunately I can't afford to pay for a 3rd MMO at present <x,x>...

I know there are a fair few free games out there, many I've tried, but I figured maybe if I asked here, I'd find out about some I may have missed.

Most recent attempt was Last Chaos (pleh); but I've also played Rappelz, Tibia, Shaiya, Dream of Mirror Online and probably a few others I'm forgetting <'x'>

(Feel free to post non-Fantasy ones too though, I'm sure others might find a list of free games to play useful too <@.@>b)

Geno9999
2008-08-05, 10:27 AM
Try Kingdom Of Loathing, an (some what) turn-based free MMORPG. WARNING!: If you think games should not be funny, do not, I repeat, DO NOT play since this game follows the Rule Of Funny (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfFunny)

Orran
2008-08-05, 10:28 AM
If you're into stat management, theres a nice little fantasy based fighting game called duels (http://www.duels.com). No shiny graphics and nothing non-combat, but it's good to pick up and play now and then.

alexeduardo
2008-08-05, 10:55 AM
EvE online?
I think there was a free mmorts somewhere, but I cant recall the name...

JMobius
2008-08-05, 11:00 AM
MMO, Good, Free.

Choose two.

Swok
2008-08-05, 01:22 PM
I strongly suggest Guild Wars. Besides the initial cost for the account or other chapters, Guild Wars lacks a monthly fee.

Jamfalcon
2008-08-05, 05:26 PM
www.runescape.com is one of my favorite games, it has quite a large free area, which you can play in for an unlimited amount of time, and if you do want access to everything, it's less than $6 a month..
Voyage century (http://vc.igg.com/main.php) is good, if you want something with more 3D. Not quite fantasy, but pretty good.
If neither of those look like something you want to play, here's a wiki article with lots of games.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free_MMOGs

mikeejimbo
2008-08-06, 07:52 AM
MMO, Good, Free.

Choose two.

So I can have something good and free so long as it's not an MMO?

mistformsquirrl
2008-08-06, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the ideas all <. .>b appreciated!

JMobius
2008-08-06, 01:07 PM
So I can have something good and free so long as it's not an MMO?

Yes. There's a lot of really good freeware titles out there.

itsmeyouidiot
2008-08-06, 03:52 PM
Kingdom of Loathing (www.kingdomofloathing.com)

If you like biting sarcasm, rampant pop culture references, and floods of puns, this is for you.

shadowxknight
2008-08-06, 04:09 PM
I suggest Maplestory.

Who doesn't love anime-styled chibi characters with gigantic eyes and head? :smalltongue:

Grokvar
2008-08-06, 04:27 PM
I really liked Kingdom of Loathing, but it got kinda boring to me after a while. Some of the item names made me chuckle a bit though.

Knaight
2008-08-06, 04:34 PM
Lunia isn't bad, then there is another with a name along the lines of Mabinogi, which is supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't tried. I got bored with Lunia, but it took quite a while and I don't have an addictive personality at all, so thats a sign of quality. Maple Story is also supposed to be really good.

Lord_Butters_I
2008-08-06, 05:49 PM
Of course you can get good games free. You just have to know where to look.

Tengu_temp
2008-08-06, 08:34 PM
EvE online?

MMO, not good*, not free, not fantasy. 25% is not a very good score.

MMO, Good, Free.

Choose two.

Damn, I wanted to say that.

Kingdom of Loathing is indeed the best choice here, but it's not entirely an MMO. And while it's extremely funny, it gets repetetive after beating it 2-3 times. Maybe Guild Wars, but it's not free - you just don't pay a monthly subscription fee for it, only buy the game and expansions.

* - Yes, that's 100% subjective and possibly unfair. I don't care.

itsmeyouidiot
2008-08-07, 12:02 PM
Kingdom of Loathing is indeed the best choice here, but it's not entirely an MMO. And while it's extremely funny, it gets repetetive after beating it 2-3 times.

They do have great forums, though, and the new content keeps you interested, when they release it.

Zeful
2008-08-07, 12:10 PM
There are some from gpotato like Rapplez and Flyff which are free (but you can spend money for items) and there are a couple more games they do which aren't fantasy but look interesting.

Beleriphon
2008-08-07, 12:47 PM
There is Fiesta, its free, its 3D graphics and its pretty fun. You can buy stuff using real money (ie how the company makes money) for use in game, but its not strictly necessary.

Totally Guy
2008-08-08, 03:52 AM
I used to enjoy a game called Eternal Lands before I started my job.

It was a classless system where all are created equally. The roles within the game are yours to find, you might be a miner, supplier to a mighty alchemist or or a fighter that trades his finds for jewellery. Everybody tends to need something the can't do themselves.

I used to do maps for them so my creations are still in game.