PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter nights 2

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-05, 04:43 PM
Hey, playground. I just got Nwn 2, so I figured I'd start a thread about it! one thing I was wondering was that in chapter 1, you have to go get the shard. So I go, diplomisize the lizardling shaman and find the hp shard, yet daeghun just keeps saying "What are you doing here emptyhanded? Go find the shard now!" Even though I have it! anyone else have this problem/know what to do?

Mx.Silver
2008-08-05, 07:26 PM
Hey, playground. I just got Nwn 2, so I figured I'd start a thread about it! one thing I was wondering was that in chapter 1, you have to go get the shard. So I go, diplomisize the lizardling shaman and find the hp shard, yet daeghun just keeps saying "What are you doing here emptyhanded? Go find the shard now!" Even though I have it! anyone else have this problem/know what to do?
No, I can't say I've ever come across this problem. I've resolved that encounter every way possible and it's always worked fine. Did you take the other thing in the chest too (chalice of Lathander I think it's called, can cast light infinity times)?

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-05, 08:10 PM
Yup, I got the chalice. And I only have one save so I'll have to start again, and maybe it'll work...

Dausuul
2008-08-05, 08:14 PM
Yup, I got the chalice. And I only have one save so I'll have to start again, and maybe it'll work...

Maybe if you put the shard back in the chest, then take it out again?

SmartAlec
2008-08-05, 08:20 PM
I'm a bit hazy on this, but - did a cutscene with Bevil fire when you took the thing out of the chest? And did you tell him that it was time to leave the ruins, either in the cutscene or by talking to him? It's been a while, but I don't think you actually walk back to the village - you tell Bevil it's over and you're automatically moved to the village, straight into a cutscene with Daeghan.

Mx.Silver
2008-08-05, 08:32 PM
I'm a bit hazy on this, but - did a cutscene with Bevil fire when you took the thing out of the chest? And did you tell him that it was time to leave the ruins, either in the cutscene or by talking to him? It's been a while, but I don't think you actually walk back to the village - you tell Bevil it's over and you're automatically moved to the village, straight into a cutscene with Daeghan.

That could be it. You should get the option to go back again by talking to him in the ruins, IRRC.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-05, 08:40 PM
How can I talk to him? when I cick on him, I switch, yet that option appears to be off.

SmartAlec
2008-08-05, 08:42 PM
Right click, hold, search through the menu that appears. I think.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-05, 09:07 PM
Well, I'am talking and He only says:

I can stab things! and make soup!

I Spy on people!

I Do stuff for Georg!

Here be Lizardlings!

I wanna be Hokage an adventurer! but not really.

*sigh*:smallfrown:

MeklorIlavator
2008-08-05, 10:16 PM
Try going back to the ruins and then entering opening typing ~DebugMode 1
The "~" should open up the console, and DebugMode 1 activates cheats, but it also allows you to see any triggers in the area. See if there are any active in the room, and then click on it. You will want to make a separate save if you do this, however. It could mess up your file.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-05, 10:17 PM
I'm also having a couple problems with the OC as well as a Mod, tragedy in traigor. Ima put em in spoilers, as they are both a few hours in:

OC
Ok, so in Neverwinter I just got access to the Blacklake district, and found my way to the library. Im playing a pretty jerk-like character, so decided to go ahead and kill the monks when I came in. Now, I've been looking around everywhere, and I can't get anywhere! ive found the 2 or 3 doors that lead to the center room, but they all require a key. It wont let me unlock them with the skill. I have also found the secret bookcase door, but I can't interact with it. Left clicking it does nothing, right clicking + open lock does nothing (and yes, my char has ranks). Any help?

Tragedy in Traigor
I've gotten to the part were you get the key to the portal and get your drow cleric friend. I use the key, and the shield goes down. Only I can't interact with the portal! Its just like the problem with the OC. What is going on here!?

SithLackey
2008-08-05, 10:25 PM
OC AnswerIIRC, there are books on pedestals throughout the library that you can only see while wearing the caretaker's veil. Each book triggers a dialog. Answer all of the questions in all of the books correctly, and you should be able to access the central area. The secret doors should also become accessible while wearing the veil.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-05, 11:46 PM
is the trigger ll_tw_sr_exit? and how do I activate triggers? I click on it, then I just walk up to it..:smalleek::smallfrown:

Issabella
2008-08-05, 11:54 PM
I am currently stuck and looking for some help. I am at the stage where I am in between the trial itself and the trial by combat. I am supposed to spend the night in the temple of Tyr for remembrance.

I talk to the guy, say I am ready. He says follow me, and stands still. I tried re patching the game and the elder priest still stands there.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-06, 12:59 PM
OC AnswerIIRC, there are books on pedestals throughout the library that you can only see while wearing the caretaker's veil. Each book triggers a dialog. Answer all of the questions in all of the books correctly, and you should be able to access the central area. The secret doors should also become accessible while wearing the veil.

Alright, thanks. Not sure why I didnt think of that. I thought it looked kind of suspisious that they would drop these items with no value whatsoever. Also, the next couple of quests after are awesome.

Really enjoyed the two puzzles they had during the side-quest to steal from the Collector. The 2 puzzles were pretty awesome, the second being more challenging than I would have thought. Nice to see some non-hack-and-slash stuff.

Douglas
2008-08-06, 01:33 PM
For Slaanesh's problem, that is a bug in the out-of-the-box version of the original campaign. Fixing it requires patching the game, which can be done simply by running the updater - just select Update rather than Play from the initial menu.

However, there is a special problem if you have the Mask of the Betrayer expansion. The installer for the expansion patches the game engine up to the version that was current when they made it, but they neglected to include the patches to the original campaign. If you run the updater after installing the expansion, it will see the game version that the MotB installer updates to and only apply patches after that version. As this bug in the original campaign was fixed long before the expansion was released, the fix for it will not be included.

They may have released a patch that fixes this issue since when I learned about it, in which case all you need to do is run the updater. If not, you will have to re-install the original game, update it, and then install the expansion and update again. Running the updater without the expansion installed will correctly patch the original campaign and remove this bug.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-06, 03:08 PM
Allright, I'll do that. Thanks.

SithLackey
2008-08-06, 04:01 PM
A patch to fix the updater to allow it to apply an earlier patch. That would be ironic.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-07, 12:58 PM
Dang... I've been messing around with Modules, and just tried doing the revised Tomb of Horrors one. I have avoided looking at the walk through thus far, but I'm actually not far at all. In fact, Ive only gotten through the first door. Cant beat that damn skeleton thing.

I would be interested if anyone here wanted to try and run through it (possibly another mod first though, seems a little deadly to try a run through the ToH as your test run). My current character I made using Vordans Hero Creator (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2ModulesEnglish.Detail&id=14). Hes a level 10 Moon Elf Rogue, and I just gave him 100,000 gold. Based on how much I remember having in the OC at level 10, it seemed fair enough. I would have used the FRW one (as it give you level appropriate gold), but for some reason I cant get it to run.

Mx.Silver
2008-08-07, 01:07 PM
Dang... I've been messing around with Modules, and just tried doing the revised Tomb of Horrors one. I have avoided looking at the walk through thus far, but I'm actually not far at all. In fact, Ive only gotten through the first door. Cant beat that damn skeleton thing.

I would be interested if anyone here wanted to try and run through it (possibly another mod first though, seems a little deadly to try a run through the ToH as your test run). My current character I made using Vordans Hero Creator (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2ModulesEnglish.Detail&id=14). Hes a level 10 Moon Elf Rogue, and I just gave him 100,000 gold. Based on how much I remember having in the OC at level 10, it seemed fair enough. I would have used the FRW one (as it give you level appropriate gold), but for some reason I cant get it to run.

Shame that. Vordan's is great for customising but it can be irritating when you aren't sure what's level appropriate and it takes a while. I'm not sure if there's a guide for level appropriate gold amounts kicking around somewhere. I may have to go and search. D&D has something like that in its rules I think (I don't play it) so if you access to it that might do in a pinch.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-07, 01:41 PM
Shame that. Vordan's is great for customising but it can be irritating when you aren't sure what's level appropriate and it takes a while. I'm not sure if there's a guide for level appropriate gold amounts kicking around somewhere. I may have to go and search. D&D has something like that in its rules I think (I don't play it) so if you access to it that might do in a pinch.

Yeah, in the 3.5 Dungeons master's guide it suggests 49,000 gp for a level 10. But I'm pretty damn sure that NWN2 doesn't use the exact gp->ratio-math-thingy. And if it does then yes, shame on me.

Edit: if anyone knows a good guide for this, please link it.

Lorn
2008-08-07, 01:48 PM
Vordan's has a thingy where it will give you level dependent gold...

Also: Anyone feel like giving advice?

Tholaspyx, the red dragon, Mount Galardrym. Any advice on taking it out? So far, I'm buffing everyone, adding in things like Energy Immunity (Fire) etc... but she keeps killing me :/

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-07, 01:54 PM
Vordan's has a thingy where it will give you level dependent gold...

In the mod description it says it does, but I haven't found the feature in-game. Its not under the gold-getting area anyway.

Dire Ferret
2008-08-07, 04:59 PM
Also: Anyone feel like giving advice?

Tholaspyx, the red dragon, Mount Galardrym. Any advice on taking it out? So far, I'm buffing everyone, adding in things like Energy Immunity (Fire) etc... but she keeps killing me :/

When I came to that part...

I ran the hell away.

I'd suggest just taking down the giants instead.

Lorn
2008-08-07, 05:11 PM
Aha, took it down.

Decided to risk summoning a random elemental, it came up air instead of fire thankfully. Yay, disintegrate. And Mass Bulls Strength.

Nice loots as well, hehe. Any luck and I'll be getting me some brand new equipment soon.

JMobius
2008-08-07, 05:38 PM
Defeating that thing was, for me, by far the hardest fight in the game.

SithLackey
2008-08-07, 10:21 PM
ORLY? Personally, by that time I have Quara (usually) able to cast energy immunity (fire) on most of the party, with a cleric rounding out the rest. This combined with a full-party stoneskin, the full line up of regular cleric buffs, and cone of cold :smallbiggrin:, makes for a fairly easy fight. Unless PvP is turned on. But why would you do that? :smalltongue:

Mx.Silver
2008-08-08, 05:45 AM
Defeating that thing was, for me, by far the hardest fight in the game.

Yeah she's probably the hardest of the first game. Mask of the Betrayer is another matter entirely though.

JMobius
2008-08-08, 10:06 AM
Unless PvP is turned on. But why would you do that? :smalltongue:

Because if I can deal with it in D&D, I can deal with it here. Though, its slightly difficult to deal with Qara's seeming obsession with fireballing the rest of the party...

Douglas
2008-08-08, 11:00 AM
Though, its slightly difficult to deal with Qara's seeming obsession with fireballing the rest of the party...
Who's this "Qara" person? Wait, you mean that artillery platform has a name??? :smalltongue:

Sand is a far more interesting character than Qara's super-one-dimensional "I like to blow stuff up" personality. In the unlikely event of me actually including Qara in the party when I don't have to, I would either control her directly or remove all indiscriminate AoE spells from her repertoire. Fireball is one of the first to go. This assumes at least Hardcore difficulty, of course, but well... every two-bit wizard in the world being able to exclude his allies from his blasts automatically just isn't how D&D works. As far as I'm concerned, "Hardcore" is The Way It's Supposed To Be and should be named "Normal" and be the default.

JMobius
2008-08-08, 11:03 AM
Sand is a far more interesting character than Qara's super-one-dimensional "I like to blow stuff up" personality. In the unlikely event of me actually including Qara in the party when I don't have to, I would either control her directly or remove all indiscriminate AoE spells from her repertoire. Fireball is one of the first to go. This assumes at least Hardcore difficulty, of course, but well... every two-bit wizard in the world being able to exclude his allies from his blasts automatically just isn't how D&D works. As far as I'm concerned, "Hardcore" is The Way It's Supposed To Be and should be named "Normal" and be the default.

Hear hear!

Though I have to say my favorite companion in the original would have been the warlock.

SithLackey
2008-08-08, 12:12 PM
Because he was dynamic and managed to be sane and evil at the same time and you could convincingly change his mind? Yeah, I liked him too.

To clarify the PvP statement I made earlier, I personally play the pre-generated modules like the OC for the story and the gratification of leveling my character. I might indulge in some hardcore gameplay if A) the camera didn't suck and B) there was an autopause function. But since there isn't, I find the extra effort involved to be less than worth it. [/unfocused defensive rant]

Myatar_Panwar
2008-08-08, 03:07 PM
Wait, is there a way to control what spells you allow your npcs to cast on their own, and which spells you would like to control? Cause I'm far too lazy to directly control sand, but I would appreciate it if he would stop casting the 1 use of Stoneskin on himself the second a rat appears 50ft away from him....

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-08, 03:10 PM
Hey, I got the patch, and it works now. Thanks, Douglas. 'Course now when I talk to Bevil he says "We need to go to the wheat feild!" I think he's gone senile.

Mx.Silver
2008-08-08, 03:30 PM
Because if I can deal with it in D&D, I can deal with it here. Though, its slightly difficult to deal with Qara's seeming obsession with fireballing the rest of the party...

Just stick them all on puppet mode and micromanage everything. Makes battles a lot easier.

Sand is a far more interesting character than Qara's super-one-dimensional "I like to blow stuff up" personality
Qara is a bit of shame really, she seemed to have got the short end of the stick when it came to writing the character's personalities and back-stories. Hell, her story quest wasn't even properly resolved. The guy sending the animus golem after her was never dealt with (even though some lines of dialogue seem to imply he and Qara may have been related). Grobnar had a similar problem. It was probably to do with there just being too many characters.

JMobius
2008-08-08, 04:01 PM
The paladin had his plot pretty much removed completely, so they weren't even the most seriously impacted.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-08, 04:38 PM
In the crypt near the start, I got hit by a trap. When I tri3ed to rest, it said reflex save *failure*. I took no damage, but it was weird. So I tried to rest later, but the same thing happens, except I took a lethal amount of damage, according to the battle log. HUH?!:smallconfused:

Philistine
2008-08-08, 05:17 PM
What, in the OC? I don't think I've ever heard of anything like that happening before.

Jibar
2008-08-09, 02:14 AM
Ahhh... Neverwinter Nights 2.
Playing the almighty powerful wizard.
Say, am I the only one who never removed Khelgar from my party? As Fighter or Monk, he did some wicked damage. When I got the Construct all fixed too we just blasted on through everything. I didn't even have to cast any spells for most encounters.

Mx.Silver
2008-08-09, 04:27 AM
The paladin had his plot pretty much removed completely, so they weren't even the most seriously impacted.

Paladin? What Paladin?:smalltongue:

But yeah, when you look at how much detail went into the companions in Mask of the Betrayer it kind of makes you wonder what happened when they were doing the original.

Lorn
2008-08-09, 06:39 AM
I'm not so sure about that...

Try playing through the game as a LG female. He's a romance option, just like Elanee. It's not much, but he DOES have some plot...

JMobius
2008-08-09, 09:57 AM
Ahhh... Neverwinter Nights 2.
Playing the almighty powerful wizard.
Say, am I the only one who never removed Khelgar from my party? As Fighter or Monk, he did some wicked damage. When I got the Construct all fixed too we just blasted on through everything. I didn't even have to cast any spells for most encounters.

Pretty much. I probably went through the first act of the game about half a dozen times before I settled on a character I liked. Ended up with something like a munchkinned to death Sorcerer 8/Paladin 2/EK 10, because that's what I'll do in a single player game. Khelgar never left that guy's side, mostly because he made an awesome damage soaker. :smallbiggrin:

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-10, 09:15 PM
I met Qara and.... Wow....:smallsigh:

Crow
2008-08-10, 11:25 PM
I am currently stuck and looking for some help. I am at the stage where I am in between the trial itself and the trial by combat. I am supposed to spend the night in the temple of Tyr for remembrance.

I talk to the guy, say I am ready. He says follow me, and stands still. I tried re patching the game and the elder priest still stands there.

I had that problem and it sadly resulted in needing to go back to an earlier random save I had made on accident. I had a problem later on in that game where I would lose companions if people had too many animal companion/familiars summoned and I transitioned to another map. I had another problem in that game where I saved in the middle of the final boss fight (he changes and is not hostile for a split-second, which i managed to save in the middle of), and when I loaded the game could not get him to be hostile. That one ended the game for me, so I exported my guy and went to the expansion (boss was all but done for anyways).