PDA

View Full Version : Techno & Electronica Music Wanted

Kneenibble
2008-08-05, 07:56 PM
I have trouble finding new and pleasing music in this area. There's a lot of crap out there and a lot of the same old stuff. Is there anybody here who can recommend to me some good artists in the genre? I'm afraid I don't know a lot about techno at large to be able to distinguish my preferred subdivisions thereof, but to give an idea of what I want to find, my two most favourite artists are Boards of Canada and Infected Mushroom.

Oh, and the house stuff they play at bars where men kiss men, but that's at least half atmosphere.

Devin
2008-08-05, 08:23 PM
Have you heard of Bill Leeb? He's done a lot of this kind of stuff. Wikipedia says he has participated in Delerium, Front Line Assembly, Skinny Puppy, Synaesthesia, Intermix, Equinox, Cyberaktif, Pro>Tech, and Noise Unit.

Another good way to find music you like is to go to something you enjoy on Amazon.com and then check out the recommendations. They group similar music together, and you can check reviews and listen to snippets of songs.

Edit@V: Hey Semidi, I noticed you have three Skinny Puppy songs as your most recently played tracks.

Semidi
2008-08-05, 08:34 PM
Try Lords of Acid (The albums Voodoo-U and Lust are both good), they're mostly techno with some industrial and rock elements in a few of their songs. (Word of warning: lyrics highly sexual).

Also, the Prodigy is excellent, but I'm guessing you already know about them as they're quite famous.

Gaelbert
2008-08-05, 08:39 PM
I'm just going to name off a bunch of trance artists. Maybe a few house ones too:
DJ Cargo
Beattraax
Basshunter
Daft Punk
Coone
Benny Benassi
Cascada- So shoot me
Dirty Boyz
Groove Coverage
DJ Squash
Schuller Inc
Special D
And I have plenty more where those came from.

Jack Squat
2008-08-05, 08:49 PM
I'll second Basshunter. It's required for all computer geeks to own DotA and Boten Anna whether you like the songs or not.

I'll also toss out Juno Reactor...I just know Control (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUbF6eU0Znc&feature=related) because I've got the Mortal Kombat Soundtrack.

Burrito
2008-08-05, 09:27 PM
You can't go wrong with Binary Finary, or Paul Van Dyk, Chemical Brothers, Oakenfold too. There is tons out there, and with the net you can cherry pick the good songs and not get stuck with a CD that only has one or two songs you like on it. There are some really good compilation CD's out there, just search for any of the Gatecrasher series of CDs *(Digital and Classics are two of them). Look around in YouTube, and see if something there catchs your eye/ear. cb shaw has some pretty cool mash-ups that are awesome to listen to.

I'm listening to "Music Sounds Better With You" by Stardust right now. Still on of my all time favorite songs.

Poison_Fish
2008-08-06, 12:11 PM
Scooter is decent.

I'm a fan of BT's old stuff.

Smeik
2008-08-06, 12:49 PM
I din't know either of the bands you named, so I searched for them.

couldn't think of anything similar to Boards of Canada that I know, but infected Mushroom reminded me of Combi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk3UWmIwsDc&feature=related)christ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpht4k_VBhE&feature=related)

valadil
2008-08-06, 01:26 PM
DJ Doboy has a lot of good stuff online. I'm also a fan of 1200 Micrograms.

Kneenibble
2008-08-06, 06:16 PM
Thanks for responding, yous, I'll start the sampling.

Jorkens
2008-08-07, 07:09 PM
I have trouble finding new and pleasing music in this area. There's a lot of crap out there and a lot of the same old stuff. Is there anybody here who can recommend to me some good artists in the genre? I'm afraid I don't know a lot about techno at large to be able to distinguish my preferred subdivisions thereof, but to give an idea of what I want to find, my two most favourite artists are Boards of Canada and Infected Mushroom.
Based on that, you should probably try some of the older Warp acts. Particularly:
Aphex Twin (the daddy) - huge, insanely varied output, some of it's absolutely genius. He kind of flips from shiny melodic ambient techno stuff to tunes that sound like having your teeth drilled (in a good way) to tunes that sound like having your teeth drilled (in a bad way) - I'd recommend checking ...I Care Because You Do, Richard D James, Selected Ambient Works 85 - 92 (one of my favorite albums EVAR) and Come To Daddy first, and then delving deeper based on that.

Black Dog Productions - especially the early stuff: the Book of Dogma compilation and Bytes. Very melodic but quite percussive and fun.

Autechre - start with the early stuff like Incunabula and Amber (more melodic beaty ambient) and then check later increasingly glitched out and austere stuff.

Squarepusher - slap bass drum and bass acid bleep jazz? Probably not a real genre. But check out Hard Normal Daddy and, well, quite a lot of his other stuff, it's ace.

Also maybe try classic Detroit techno? Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson and Juan Atkins pretty much started the whole shebang, and most of them have some sort of 'best of' / 'classics' compilation out.

Oh and listen to Burial. Everyone loves Burial at the moment - hot tip for the Mercury and everything. Gorgeously deep melancholic garage stuff.

Amotis
2008-08-08, 02:44 AM
Everyone loves Burial at the moment.

Oh yeah.

I like DJ Shadow. I think he's electronica enough for this. Very dance-able/roll-able I think.

And I like Venetian Snares.

Though I'm not sure if you're talking about the 4 to the floor kinda electronica or the stuff the blends into ambiance. I think Boards of Canada really do that so another two names are Kashiwa Daisuke and Fennesz.

Oh, and I like The Books.

Spiryt
2008-08-08, 05:27 AM
I've mentioned Basshunter?

Also Kalwi & Remi (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AWPGXGO6r2c)
Buahaha! MIV! Praise the insanity

13_CBS
2008-08-08, 05:29 AM
Would the infamous Caramelldansen work? Especially the Speedycake remix? I find that song to be strangely catchy.

Dr. Bath
2008-08-08, 05:50 AM
Lemonjelly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSmaT0UriG0), is certainly something I'd recommend. More electronica than Techno though.

The Prodigy is good, as has been mentioned. Chemical Brothers as well. Fatboy Slim can be good too. I recently came across the Cinematic Orchestra as well, which is a much more mellow type of electronica.