PDA

View Full Version : That one _____

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-05, 08:30 PM
So I was playing Metroid fusion, and crying as I attempted to do the 1% challenge. Why, you ay ask? Well because despite having little trouble before, only needing 2 or 3 retries at most, that damn spider boss in the reactor core! I can barely beat him on the normal playthrough!

"get to the point!" I hear you cry, well allright. So this is a thread dedicated to "that one [boos/sidequest/mook/level/etc] that you had a lot of trouble with, and soe advice from those who have done it.

Note: Spoilers ahoy!

Personnaly I have a few:

Bosses:

The Spider from metroid fusion, Who has *seven* forms, can kill you in ~4 hits, is almost always invulnerable and quite hard to evade.

Mephistoselis from NwN: Hordes of the underdark. At no point in game was their a point my druid had so uch trouble as him. I could barely hit him, he was spell immune and immune to everything, save sonic. Deekin and Valen could only halplessly flail their arms in terror as he killed them again and again and again... *Sigh*

The Zombiebot king when I first played metal arms: Glitch in the system. I foolishly had neglected to stock up on grenades, ammo or anything.

Giga bowser in Super smash bros. Melee. Still have not beaten him, or even beaten Crazy/master hand!

Tabuu in Super smash bros. Brawl. I cannot for the life of me, beat him on very hard or intense! Nothing I do can kill him!

The Ultimate enemy and Taboo Minamatto in the world ends with you. I Can't find strong enough pins, I even have Pi-face's hat, max stickers, and The Samurai armour!

Levels:

The secret of Noki bay in Super Mario Sunshine. I just can't beat it..

The Astral Sea in nethack. After getting there 6 times, I *have* manged to ascend twice, but that was alot of luck.
More to come..

arguskos
2008-08-05, 09:17 PM
Off topic, that spider was pretty easy if you crouch in the corners, and just move to dodge the balls of fire it shoots. Beyond that, just crouch and fire missiles willy-nilly into his mouth.

On topic:
-The final level for the Zerg in Starcraft:Brood War. GODSDAMNITALL it's a hard bastard to beat! :smallfurious:

-Brutal AI on Sins of a Solar Empire. I just can't tech fast enough. >_<

-Lucifer (the final boss) in Painkiller. He just stomps me all the damn time.

-The final boss fight in Icewind Dale 2 against Isair and Madae on Insane mode. It just isn't fair man, just not fair. They can do crazy stuff, and pwn me soooo hard, it hurts in real life too. :smallfurious:

-argus

Swordguy
2008-08-05, 09:20 PM
The jetski level from BattleToads.

'Nuff said.

Cristo Meyers
2008-08-05, 09:30 PM
Come on, you knew someone was going to do it (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThatOneBossActionExamples)

It even contains my "That One Boss."

Duriel...just, Duriel...

enter room, get slowed, start getting slaughtered, lather, rinse, repeat...

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-05, 09:42 PM
The jetski level from BattleToads.

'Nuff said.

*cringe* *whimper*

Kool-Aid
2008-08-05, 09:48 PM
Bongo Bongo from the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, it seriously made me want to throw the controller into my t.v.

Oogie Boogie from kingdom hearts chain of memories, wasn't hard but it annoyed the crap out of me.

Siosilvar
2008-08-05, 09:56 PM
Come on, you knew someone was going to do it (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThatOneBossActionExamples)

It even contains my "That One Boss."

Duriel...just, Duriel...

enter room, get slowed, start getting slaughtered, lather, rinse, repeat...
Duriel wasn't as hard as Diablo for me. My assassin smashed Duriel with about 7 hits and died about the same number of times to Diablo.

He didn't even try Bone Prison.

EDIT: Although I did have a level 24 or so Lightning sorc that just got slaughtered by the Summoner. Firewalls are ANNOYING as heck. Although the +3 Chain Lightning staff was nice.

MeklorIlavator
2008-08-05, 10:25 PM
Mini-games. I suck at them, yet they always seem to be necessary to complete the game. For instance, in Beyond Good and Evil, there are racing minigames and that wierd one with the shark: you have to get the majority of these white tabs onto his side of a game board while he tries to do the opposite to you. You have to do a couple to get the necessary number of pearls (Macguffins), and I can't tell how much time I spent on those things. In the end, it made me tired of the game, and I never have finished the game. Another big offender are the Zelda minigames, though most aren't necessary. The big exception in my mind is the Oracle of Seasons game where you need to do this stupid dance game to get by. Again, a good gaming experience ruined by a required minigame.

The Orange Zergling
2008-08-05, 10:55 PM
The 4th stage in the old-school Ninja Gaiden for the NES. While it DOES give you infinite continues, if you use up all of your lives you start out at the beginning of the stage. Also some of the bad guys are almost IMPOSSIBLE to get past and I have to spend maybe 1-2 continues to get by, and even then by chance. Also, what is the point of a life bar if only about 20% of the screen is a walkable platform at a time?

Actually, the entire game is probably that one boss. Even the non-boss parts.

Drascin
2008-08-06, 08:12 AM
Duriel wasn't as hard as Diablo for me. My assassin smashed Duriel with about 7 hits and died about the same number of times to Diablo.

He didn't even try Bone Prison.

EDIT: Although I did have a level 24 or so Lightning sorc that just got slaughtered by the Summoner. Firewalls are ANNOYING as heck. Although the +3 Chain Lightning staff was nice.

Honestly, for me neither Diablo nor Duriel were as hard as the Ancients before entering Baal's dungeon. You know, the three barbarian statues. Dunno why, but they kicked my ass so many times. And then they did so again in Nightmare. And this with the same assassin that beat Diablo fully melee without spending more than about three potions. Mostly because only the Red Lightning Of Utterly ****ing You caused me true damage (the melee attacks kept missing), and I could run fast enough that it just grazed me.

Anyway, myself, I've been trying to beat Yukari Yakumo in Touhou 7 for almost the whole last month, taking advantage of the fact I had no internet connection. I am starting to last more and more as I learn her spellcards (by exploding against them, mostly :smallsigh:), but still. At this rate, it's going to take me another couple months more.

Also, I still get a slight tinge of frustration and irritation every time I enter a water-based dungeon in any game, because of the flashbacks to the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time. This at least has the good effect that I get extremely paranoid and look everywhere, so I find every secret in the level.

Also, for a game that was painfully easy, Xaldin and his Spears of Way More Reach Than You'll Ever Have Loser Ha Ha was a nasty wakeup call (it didn't help that I was somewhere around 8 levels under what the game rcommended at the time). Sephirot was a total pushover compared to him.

Zakama
2008-08-06, 09:01 AM
Level 6 of the Zerg Brood War Campaign. It's just... So... Flippin... HARD! And you have only enough money to really attack with one army, and then when you try to build expos the enemy Zerg just stomp you! Gah!

Jibar
2008-08-06, 09:26 AM
Bongo Bongo from the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, it seriously made me want to throw the controller into my t.v.

I've never understood why so many people have a problem with Bongo Bongo.
Just make sure you have the Big Goron's Sword.
Two arrows.
Start charging a spin attack, tapping the lens of truth.
Unleash.
Repeat two more times.
Done. No life lost.

Geno9999
2008-08-06, 09:36 AM
I thought we all covered this before, at hardest game moments thread.
Anywhoo.
I know at least one person who agrees with me on this, Duon. I hate him unless I'm playing as the Earthbound characters.

Cristo Meyers
2008-08-06, 09:38 AM
Two arrows.
Unleash.
Repeat two more times.
Done. No life lost.

Same here, I can't recall ever having a problem with him, even without the Biggoron's Sword.

Another one that caused me no end of headaches: the ceiling mounted auto-turrets in F.E.A.R. Those things tore me up just about every time they appeared.

Geno9999
2008-08-06, 09:53 AM
Two arrows.
Unleash.
Repeat two more times.
Done. No life lost.

Know what? I have the game on my Wii (VC, gotta love it) and I don't recall him being nightmareish. (Hint; I think I used the long shot (upgrade of the hookshot, instead of the arrows (I also think I ran out of those too))

Also on VC, Ridley from Super Metroid, (A peek on my feelings;:smallfurious:) I tried missile spamming, then super missile spam, spam spam spam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE) lazorz and spam, spam spam spam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE) missiles spam spam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE) super missiles spam spam spam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE)lazor and.... spam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE) (how was I supposed to know he liked spam?)
Mother Brain from the same game was just gross, (imagine a t-rex, but instead of a normal head, a giant BRAIN) not to hard. (oh yes I love to have onion rings to go with you cooked death, think you.)

JabberwockySupafly
2008-08-06, 09:55 AM
If anyone here plays Monster Hunter, they can probably relate to the two I am about to mention...

1). Rajang. 30 foot tall super saiyan monkey with a passion for shooting lighting and zig-zag charging. Oh, and he can two hit kill you when you have full health and great armour. That's when he's not busy stun killing you.

2). Pleisoth. When it's not busy wasting your time by floating in the water where you can't hit it, it's using it's Hip Check attack to smash you from halfway across the zone. Worst. Hit Box. Ever.

Honestly, no other game can be as frustrating, yet seductive, as the Monster Hunter series.

Dihan
2008-08-06, 10:04 AM
Great Bay Temple - Majoras Mask.

Enough said.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-06, 10:21 AM
My first one of these, I think, was freakin' Liquid Snake in Metal Gear Solid. Mostly because I had not used unarmed attacks (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FisticuffsBoss) at all up to that point, and couldn't get the combo timing down. Come to think of it, Cyborg Ninja took forever for the same reason.

There were two son of a bitch bosses in Baten Kaitos Origins that I'd have never gotten past if I hadn't watched my friend fail time and time again and eventually develop winning strategies. I got off light in comparison. (The HoloHolo Bird and the super-secret-spoiler penultimate boss, for the record.)

Oh God, I'd blocked out the Water Temple and its parallel-universe twin from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Thanks a lot for bringing that memory back, previous poster.

Destro_Yersul
2008-08-06, 10:21 AM
Yeah, fish boy was annoying. Not so hard after the first 3 times though. Or once you got the Fierce Deity's mask.

Let's see... oh yes.

The first level of Ninja Gaiden Black on Master Ninja difficulty.

Alma Awakened on ANY difficulty. Regular Alma too, for that matter.

And furthermore, ghost fish. Just.. ghost fish.

Exachix
2008-08-06, 11:37 AM
In Golden Sun The Lost Age. Dullahan, Keeper of Light is one pain of a boss.

Tho, level grinding can help you, you're still stuffed for alot of the levels.

Mx.Silver
2008-08-06, 12:57 PM
I've had a couple of such experiences.
There was one particularly odd one in Mask of the Betrayer. In the Dead God's Vault just before you get the Gate of the Betrayer there's a small staircase. At the bottom of which are a small cluster of undead: two Vampires a death knight a lich and mummy priest. My party was level 18-21 and it took me something like 5 attempts to clear what is essentially a bunch of mooks. The thing was, it was quite a narrow area, meaning the two vamps and the death knight could easily block you while the two casters would pound you. The mummy had a rather irritating habit of silencing your casters (which it seemed to do regardless of any protective spells) which really hurt. Oh, and the vampires both had a save or die attack. Not pleasant.

Another one, not quite as bad, was in Shadow Hearts 2. During Blanca's wolf bout side quest you have to go up against three wolves 'the Black Dog Stars' with just Blanca. They're faster than you are and they can (and will) use combo magic. Yeah, took me a few attempts that one.

In Golden Sun The Lost Age. Dullahan, Keeper of Light is one pain of a boss.

Tho, level grinding can help you, you're still stuffed for alot of the levels.

He's kind of meant to be though, what with being the optional bonus boss and everything.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-06, 03:30 PM
:furious: *rage* It Is *Impossible* to beat fire leo in veiwtiful joe on ultra v rated! IMPOSSIBLE! There Is *no* indication he is going to attack excvept he akes a slightly louder grunt! and he does 32 hearts of damage! thats around twice the max hp! :furious:

Brock, the final boss of overtime in dead rising. I haven't tried personally, but according to the screams of rage/anguish from my older brother, he's hard to beat without exploting a glitch. He can one shot you! and then you have to do a rail shooter if you die to him!

The Germ in Phantasy star online C.A.R.D revolution. Players have an 8 point limit for monsters. He has none. Needless to say, that alone makes him hard. Also, I can't remeber her name, but the 2nd last boss in the Hunter story. You see, on turn 4 she gains peirce, so she ignores all your weapons and armour leaving you with no defense!

Frankystein mk. II in earthbound. If you fight Make sure you have:
PK (your favorite thing)
Several hamburgers
and also remeber he can 2shot you, and only attacks every second turn!

MAjor Mother 3 spoiler: both Claus and Porkey were very hard to kill for me, as I didn`t think of not attacking Claus, and for porkey, I just sucked I guess -_-

Lastly for now, The end in metal gear solid something or other. He can kill you when the console is off, and MOVE PAST LOADING SCREENS AND SHOOT YOU DURING LOADING! *rage*:smallfurious: *note, I haven`t played much metal gear aside from this boss, which may or may not affect it.

Kool-Aid
2008-08-06, 03:31 PM

Well I was like 8 or 9 at the time.

Wraith
2008-08-06, 06:42 PM
Mephistoselis from NwN: Hordes of the underdark. At no point in game was their a point my druid had so uch trouble as him. I could barely hit him, he was spell immune and immune to everything, save sonic. Deekin and Valen could only halplessly flail their arms in terror as he killed them again and again and again... *Sigh*

This one surprises me - I did this same fight with a Druid, and he was getting on just fine. The lava and spells couldn't touch me, and every 3 or 4 rounds I chugged down a Heal potion and continued to ignore his melee attacks. Even my Dire Wolf companion was scratching him fairly consistently, until it poked it in the eye once too many times.

Then again, I started with 2 levels of Fighter - a massive suit of Full Plate and a +8, +3d6 Acid, Vampiric Longsword probably made it easier.... :smalltongue:

Hardest fight I've come across? Demogorgon from Baldur's Gate 2 is probably a high contender, thought probably because I liked to use a party of 'funny' characters rather than entirely 'useful' ones.

Any Championship match in Chaos League was also just an exercise in chewing on the keyboard - even when your own Team is in the Premiere Division it's bloody hard, but when you're in the 4th Division and playing with a bunch of Sunday-League amateurs? ARGARGARG!

And... The Overseer from FallOut. Not technically an intended enemy, but the challenge is there and I love a good scrap every now nd then just to see if I can get away with it! :smallbiggrin:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-06, 08:28 PM
Lastly for now, The end in metal gear solid something or other. He can kill you when the console is off, and MOVE PAST LOADING SCREENS AND SHOOT YOU DURING LOADING! *rage*:smallfurious: *note, I haven`t played much metal gear aside from this boss, which may or may not affect it.Oh yeah, The End's a jackass. There's a few tricks you can use to make the fight easier.

1) First and foremost, camouflage and sneaking are your friends. You might not realize this if you haven't played much of MGS, especially MGS3, but the only real way to beat him is to sneak up on him. Another captain obvious note you may have missed is that his potential locations show up on the game map (and immediately after he shoots, his current location highlights in red). You can use this to help determine where he is.
2) He uses his parrot as a spotter. If you see it flying around, you can capture or kill it to make it harder for him to locate you. If you capture it, you can release it, and it'll fly back to him.
3) When he moves between sniping locations, his footprints show up on your Infrared goggles, so you can track him that way, especially after you've found him once. IR goggles are also good for spotting him hiding in the brush.
4) Sneak up on his position, don't try to snipe him. He can see the glare from your scope.
5) If all else fails, save, turn the game off for not less than a week (or set your system clock forward by that amount), and he will die of old age while the game is off. No Seriously (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IAmNotMakingThisUp).

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-06, 08:33 PM
No, you see one problem is that I wasnt his camoflauge. I *could* have sniped him in that spot before the battle, though. Also, do you have to tranq him to get his camoflauge? I heard you did, and I ran out and am trying to beat him to death with my fists, rather then guns..

I've also not eaten his parrot, But I didn't know about the scope glare thing. Huh. Well, thanks and I'll perservere! or get my brother to do it for me..

Yeha wraith, my problem is not that I took 2 fighter levels for the feats, but the problem is I didn't do it until I had sold A good weapon ( I belaeve it was a Harbringer kin +10) and diverted 4 levels to shifter. Enough to make my druid weaker, yet not enough to shift into anythingh strong. I also probly shouldn't have, in a stunning moment of crowning idocy, SOLD THE BELT OF HELLBELL!!! *sigh*...

LiteYear
2008-08-06, 09:13 PM
There is a trick to the water temple in OoT. The level is designed to be done methodically; if you do everything possible before changing the water levels, the temple just kind of falls into place. I've never found Dark Link that difficult either, even if I stick with the sword. I can't remember the details, but after a couple minutes, he changes his pattern for sword users and he becomes much easier to hit.

Destro_Yersul
2008-08-06, 09:18 PM
the easiest way to kill Dark Link is to just smash his face in with the megaton hammer. Failing that, get a couple green potions and Din's Fire him to death.

On a side note, I never found Dead Rising Brock to be all that difficult. I forget what I did to kill him, but I had maxed out my level by then, so I had all the abilities and maximum health....

Cristo Meyers
2008-08-06, 09:32 PM
Never had a problem with Dark Link either, I think I just stabbed him to death with Biggoron's Sword. I remember that instead of jumping on your sword and whacking you in the head, he actually couldn't defend against them at all.

'Course, this is going on, well, enough years to make me feel old...so I might not remember properly

Mr. Mud
2008-08-06, 10:38 PM
For Tabuu in SSBB, I got really lucky, and he attacked a sun item thing, (hothead? :smallconfused:... Well forget proper terms) I let him use the attack that shoots a huge energy ray across the ground of the stage, then threw it up at him, waited and then the lighting flash hit him and took out... Oh say... 20% of his health there. Finshes the rest off with Meta Knight's awesome aerials.

MeklorIlavator
2008-08-06, 10:48 PM
Another one: In NWN 2, eventually you need to find allies, including going to some dwarves. The dwarves are uninterested, though you learn that if you recover an item from some giants. No problem, I breeze through that part, and then I find this Dragon in the same area. Now, killing this thing is supposed to give me some great treasure, so I try it. About 50 times. In fact, this was another deal breaker for me: I tried fighting him some many times that I just stopped playing the game.

UglyPanda
2008-08-06, 10:50 PM
To the original poster:
For The World Ends With You, I was really really cheap when it came to the ultimate enemy on ultimate. I used the Eden Set and Splish Splash Barrier and Joshua as my partner. I then gave Neku three items that gave him regeneration and one that gave "hold that puck". Once Neku got the light puck, I ignored him completely and just concentrated on using Joshua. I used Splish Splash Barrier and fusion attacks whenever I needed HP. It took a while, but it was easy and somewhat peaceful since I only had to concentrate on one character.
Each Eden pin evolves from another one through Battle PP and you have to master them through Shutdown PP to get a full set.
I never had trouble with Taboo Minamimoto past the first time. Then I got my stats way too high through food and he became really easy. I recommend using lightning pawn.
Have you tried Final Time Attack, by any chance?

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-06, 10:51 PM
The End's secret items:

1) Hold him up (sneak up on him and point a gun at his back in FPV - use the Shotgun and aim at his head or crotch for best effect) to get his awesome Moss Camouflage.
2) Stamina-kill him (there should be more Mk. 22 ammo on the stage, such as in the armory building. If not, you can always leave the battlefield, or get knocked out, to go back to the last base...his life meter refills, naturally) to get his awesome Mosin Nagant tranquilizer sniper rifle.

This is different from every other boss, who drop their camo when you stamina-kill them and can't be held up.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-06, 11:06 PM
'The End'... never heard much about it... is it console/PC and any good? :smallconfused:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-06, 11:15 PM
The End is the (code)name of a boss in Metal Gear Solid 3, for the PlayStation 2 exclusively. It's alternately subtitled Snake Eater (for the original release) or Subsistence (for the rerelease with a metric ton of extras). I highly recommend the entire Metal Gear series, particularly the four Solid games.

Except AC!D and AC!D 2. Ignore those, they can go to card game hell.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-06, 11:20 PM
Now I feel dumb :D

I own and play the heck out of all the Metal Gear games.

It's too late to be thinking :smallwink:.

Thanks, Nerd-o.

Kane
2008-08-07, 12:45 AM
The Nuclear Storage building (floor 1) from Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes. It destroyed me so many times I just stopped playing the game for a month or so.

Guards patrol the building. You have to get in, go around the large interior warehouse, climb some stairs, get in an elevator and go down. You can't use weapons. And if you're detected, the room fills with poison gas and kills you. Slowly.

Jibar
2008-08-07, 03:40 AM
Well I was like 8 or 9 at the time.

Fair enough.
I know when I was that age I had trouble doing any of Zelda, as all the monsters scared the sauce outta me.

Thinking about it, I still have trouble with Phantom Ganon. I just can't get the right picture, so it tends to turn into one giant panic as I shoot arrows at everything.

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-07, 03:44 AM
The bane of my gaming life has to be Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2. They're just so hard, even on the easiest difficulty.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-07, 03:48 AM
The Nuclear Storage building (floor 1) from Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes. It destroyed me so many times I just stopped playing the game for a month or so.

Guards patrol the building. You have to get in, go around the large interior warehouse, climb some stairs, get in an elevator and go down. You can't use weapons. And if you're detected, the room fills with poison gas and kills you. Slowly.Don't forget that you're completely incapable of firing weapons in there!

Fair enough.
I know when I was that age I had trouble doing any of Zelda, as all the monsters scared the sauce outta me....****ing Wallmasters. Thanks a lot, Jibar, like I didn't have enough trouble sleeping.

Man, I've repressed a lot about The Legend of Zelda over the years.

Jibar
2008-08-07, 04:09 AM
...****ing Wallmasters. Thanks a lot, Jibar, like I didn't have enough trouble sleeping.

Man, I've repressed a lot about The Legend of Zelda over the years.

Try finding out you're scared of fish when presented with a giant God-Fish who eats you.
I reached this point of the game, plonked the fish in my bottle down, and then ran away from the TV.
The worst moment was whenin the fishing area, I was just trying to catch the guy's hat. Throw the line... and it lands in the tank. The tank with the biggest fish in it. So that all that occupies the TV screen is one giant fish face. I screamed and had to wait for someone else to get home and reel in the damn line. I never went fishing again.

Anyway, not the games that scared you thread...
Though I hope it is now understand why Gyorg was utter Hell for me.

Geno9999
2008-08-07, 08:23 AM
Giga bowser in Super smash bros. Melee. Still have not beaten him, or even beaten Crazy/master hand!

Tabuu in Super smash bros. Brawl. I cannot for the life of me, beat him on very hard or intense! Nothing I do can kill him!
Levels:

The secret of Noki bay in Super Mario Sunshine. I just can't beat it..

For some reason, I can't beat Gigabowser with Bowser. I can beat him with other characters, but not as Bowser.

I did all of the boss battles on my copy of SSBB (sweet relief!:smallbiggrin:), and I recommend Lucas/Ness. When you get to Duon, use your vB to absorb the damage and recover. I can't seem to find an attack that Tabuu uses that can be absorbed:smallfrown:. Ah well, here's a general strategy (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/modea/modea15.html) for fighting bosses. For Tabuu himself, If he goes into the bankground (you can't hit him at this time) and will unleash an OHKO move three times and you need to do a BARREL ROLL! away from red rings of death (Egad! Xbox gets it's revenge!:smalleek:)
Over all, pound him in between his attacks and study his moves and find the best way to dodge his attacks.

I hated Super Mario Sunshine compared to other Mario games that I've played, not 'cause of the levels, but the freakin blue coins that I can't find after I beat up the world (I couldn't find, like, 5 in Noki Bay.:smallannoyed:) Nintendo, you're lucky that Super Mario Galaxy IS all that Sunshine wasn't.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-07, 09:16 AM
scared of fishI think this is the key issue that I'm going to laugh at here.

Well now I feel a bit bad. Does it help to know that Lord Jabu-Jabu appears to be a very mammalian whale, rather than a fish?

Artemician
2008-08-07, 09:44 AM
Anyway, myself, I've been trying to beat Yukari Yakumo in Touhou 7 for almost the whole last month, taking advantage of the fact I had no internet connection. I am starting to last more and more as I learn her spellcards (by exploding against them, mostly :smallsigh:), but still. At this rate, it's going to take me another couple months more.

I find it deeply ironic in this case that Yukari is generally considered easier than Ran.

Dihan
2008-08-07, 10:09 AM
For Tabuu himself, If he goes into the bankground (you can't hit him at this time) and will unleash an OHKO move three times and you need to do a BARREL ROLL! away from red rings of death (Egad! Xbox gets it's revenge!:smalleek:)
Over all, pound him in between his attacks and study his moves and find the best way to dodge his attacks.

You should actually spot-dodge (shield and flick down on the control stick). It's a lot quicker than just rolling out of the way. Or you can exploit super shield or invincibility from getting up ledges.

Castaras
2008-08-07, 10:13 AM
When I first got Might and Magic VIII, at the beginning I couldn't get through it for years...

The snake temple freaked me out too much. I hated snakes. Not as bad with them now, but I was awful with them when I was younger.

Managed to get through it though. :smallbiggrin:

Calamity
2008-08-07, 10:25 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

Wiegraf in Riovanes Castle. 1v1! He can kill me in two hits and has a long range. I can only evade him all the time and use Tailwind (Speed + 1 and it stacks) so I get two turns in a row. But even when I do manage to get an attack in, it does him little damage and he kills me pretty soon after.
I shoudn't have picked Black Mage as Ramza's class.

Lorn
2008-08-07, 10:40 AM
then I find this Dragon in the same area. Now, killing this thing is supposed to give me some great treasure, so I try it. About 50 times. In fact, this was another deal breaker for me: I tried fighting him some many times that I just stopped playing the game.
Was just about to post about that.

Never killed it first time, no matter WHAT I use.

Just tried it now in fact - party comprised of myself (Aasimar paladin/divine champion), Sand (Moon Elf wizard), Zhaejve (however you spell it... Githzerai Cleric), Khelgar (Dwarven Fighter with a greataxe) and Casavir (Human Paladin).

I have Energy Immunity - Fire on everyone. Enlarge on ALL the melee peoples. Bears Endurance and Bulls Strength on everyone. The cleric turning ethereal and healing/rezzing everyone who dies. Sand nuking the dragon with meteor swarm, missile storms, disintegrates, everything. Both paladins spamming Smite Evil, and Khelgar being Khelgar. Did I mention the greataxe?

I STILL lose horribly! I'm going to try again and put fresh buffs on everyone first this time, but still. Gr.

It's only the melee attacks that hurt as well :/

I need the exp! And loot! Loot!

Drascin
2008-08-07, 11:45 AM
I find it deeply ironic in this case that Yukari is generally considered easier than Ran.

Please, don't ask me just how long it took me to beat Ran. Please. I'm trying to repress the memories :smallsigh:.

BTW, your avatar causes a kind of cyclic redundance error in my brain. Shikieiki, the stern judge of all life and death, acting all embarrassed and moe just does not compute :smalltongue:.

Just tried it now in fact - party comprised of myself (Aasimar paladin/divine champion), Sand (Moon Elf wizard), Zhaejve (however you spell it... Githzerai Cleric), Khelgar (Dwarven Fighter with a greataxe) and Casavir (Human Paladin).

I have Energy Immunity - Fire on everyone. Enlarge on ALL the melee peoples. Bears Endurance and Bulls Strength on everyone. The cleric turning ethereal and healing/rezzing everyone who dies. Sand nuking the dragon with meteor swarm, missile storms, disintegrates, everything. Both paladins spamming Smite Evil, and Khelgar being Khelgar. Did I mention the greataxe?

I STILL lose horribly! I'm going to try again and put fresh buffs on everyone first this time, but still. Gr.

I myself creamed it the first time I found him. Of course, I was a dwarven cleric, with a party of Wizard/Druid/Fighter so that probably helped. Yay for stupidly overpowered classes :smallbiggrin:.

SurlySeraph
2008-08-07, 01:02 PM

Try lowering his spell resistance before casting spells on him.
Have everyone start a good distance away from him and fire ranged attacks. Summon a bunch of creatures around him. When he kills all the summons, THEN let your melee guys go in.
Also, don't use Meteor Swarm. Fire doesn't work on Red Dragons. Use Polar Ray, with metamagic on it if you can. If not, have Sand use any other 9th level spell.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-07, 01:08 PM
I did all of the boss battles on my copy of SSBB (sweet relief!:smallbiggrin:), and I recommend Lucas/Ness. When you get to Duon, use your vB to [I]absorb *snip*

vB? you mean pk magnet right? I asume thats what you mean but I haevn't slept in long enough I can't figure that out >.>

Geno9999
2008-08-07, 01:12 PM
vB? you mean pk magnet right? I asume thats what you mean but I haevn't slept in long enough I can't figure that out >.>

Yes, PK magnet. Also good if you're fighting against any of the following;
PK crazy players.
Ray Guns set on high or characters who has freakin Lazorz (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FrickinLaserBeams)(and uses it often)
Bowser/Charizard player who uses fire breath more than they should.

Mx.Silver
2008-08-07, 01:25 PM
Another one: In NWN 2, eventually you need to find allies, including going to some dwarves. The dwarves are uninterested, though you learn that if you recover an item from some giants. No problem, I breeze through that part, and then I find this Dragon in the same area. Now, killing this thing is supposed to give me some great treasure, so I try it. About 50 times. In fact, this was another deal breaker for me: I tried fighting him some many times that I just stopped playing the game.

The red dragon? Yeah, she's a tough one. It took me a couple of attempts, but I did get her. I was using Neeshka, Khelgar(you have too), Grobnar, Qara and my main guy (Sun Elf Bard/Ranger/Red Dragon Disciple). Not the most optimal of parties for the job, but I did pull it off.

Now, having a good diplomacy, I was able to talk her out of killing me immediately after we'd polished off the giants. What I then did was to position my guys at various points around her. For the love of all that's sacred do NOT put all your characters together as she will just wing buffet you all then hand you all your prone asses to you on a platter.

Have your melees surround her, keep your ranged and spellcasters further back. Again, and I cannot stress this enough, space them out around her. She's a red dragon and therefore immune to fire magic, which may be why meteor swarm isn't doing much for you. Other spells can work, including de-buffs (she will buff herself). Enervation seemed to work for me, which may have helped. Anything which will penalise her spell resistance is an absolute must and should be cast first. The pause button is your best friend. Use it a lot, if only to see whether your spells are getting-off or if any of your guys have been knocked-down.

If necessary, you could always try lowering the difficulty setting. You may not get as much EXP, but even a smaller amount is better then none.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-07, 01:32 PM
Oh yeah, the Phoenix Wright series has had a few moments for me where I just had to put the game down for a couple days so I could look at the evidence from a different angle. There's a few genuinely frustrating parts where the solution is totally obscure/ambiguous and there is, of course, only one true way through the case. I was particularly annoyed at, as I recall, "Rise from the Ashes" and "Turnabout Big Top". Although I did like one (I assume famous) non-obvious solution at the very end of Rise from the Ashes, 'cause it made me use tactics to outsmart the bad guy, rather than simply calling him on a lie. It's just some of the stuff leading up to that that was irritating.

I've never felt so clever while playing a spiky-haired ingenue.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-07, 08:28 PM
*twitch* you. mentioned. pheonix. wright. GAH! :smallfurious: I'am terrable at those games. I was playing trials and tribulations and couldn't get past the investigation part of chapter Frickin' one! >.>

Ah, from the ashes though. Played a friends copy of that, it was more interesting then the other cases..

In Nwn OC, those damn corrupted dragons! I'am a barbarian, with a few levels in ranger, and have Tomi and the best be your henchmans friend from daelen. It. Makes. No. Sense! I go in and get crited! almost every bloody time! :smallfurious: it was the only time I took the difficulty below hardcore..

Also, four words: Klauth. Of. The. North.

In metal arms: Glitch in the system, I *still* can't beat General Corrosive.

Has anyone played Goblin commander: Unleash the horde? if so, have you managed to beat the final level, Purgatory? For those who don't know, in this level there is a 30 minute timer, and you have to defuse 4 Soul bombs (they suck in parts of the world). Now, this is extremly hard, because you have 5(!) clans breathing down your neck, and you only have three, so they will outnumber you by 20 goblins. They also have all their units at the start, and the enemies have a battleball titan ( a giant spiked ball that can 'asplode) and level 2/3 on all upgrades, runes (magic, for the first time) AND more towers then you! you start with only your buildings, and about 5 goblins. You are under attack in *seconds*. This level is made harder by the fact that soul fountains, your main recource, generate souls slowly.... *sigh*

Atomsized
2008-08-08, 08:13 AM
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Bowlettas Castle, at that point with the ledges and the blocking things above you preventing you from using the hover/spin thing. Which means you have to jump from ledge to ledge.

It sounds easy, but if you try it, you'll be going mad soon enough.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-08-08, 11:14 AM
*twitch* you. mentioned. pheonix. wright. GAH! :smallfurious: I'am terrable at those games. I was laying trials and tribulations and couldn't get past the investigation part of chapter Frickin' one! >.>

Ah, from the ashes though. Played a friends copy of that, it was more interesting then the other cases..Investigation can be a bitch, and is generally way less fun than trials (I think that's why they added the Psyche-lock system). You just have to be thorough and realize that there's only been a change in an area if you have the "location/time" window pop up.

And "Rise from the Ashes" is fun, but it's pretty clearly a parallel plot to "Turnabout Goodbyes" (the previous case) with a lot of spiffy technical bonuses added because it's a DS-only level, and a Bizzaro-world substitute Maya. And Damon Gant. He's just plain awesome.

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-08, 02:05 PM
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Bowlettas Castle, at that point with the ledges and the blocking things above you preventing you from using the hover/spin thing. Which means you have to jump from ledge to ledge.

It sounds easy, but if you try it, you'll be going mad soon enough.

Yup, that part is damn annoying..

Inhuman Bot
2008-08-10, 09:16 PM
New addition: Porkey himself in M3. Also the Masked man