PDA

View Full Version : New Class Necrocore (need help with stats)

Owrtho
2008-08-06, 01:03 AM
Well, I'm new to dnd but had an idea for a (sorta) prereq class (by this I mean it can't be taken at level 1, but lacks any requirements in a characters stats or abilities). However, I am not yet experianced enough to know proper balancing. I am trying to make it for 3.5 ed. Now for the details of the class (so far).

The necrocore is generaly put, the master of the dead. In controling the dead, it excels above almost any other class. This is due to the fact that it removes all other functions and focusses (almost) all energy upon controling them (though most of its minions are likely to be of its own making).

Necrocore

Requirements: In order to be come a necrocore, a complex procedure must be performed upon the one to becom the necrocore (note: it does not reqire the consent of the one to becom the necrocore). This involves first, doing domething to prevent the subjects death from normaly fatal wounds, then the removal of the entire nervous system intact which is then formed into a general oblong ball (brain at the center, spinal cord and all offshoots wrapped around it) and placed in a vat of a special crystalizing compound (currently unspecified). The body then has all moisture removed from it (not the blood, or other bodily fluids removed, but they must be dried out while remaining in the body). The body is then soaked in special chemicals (again currently unspecified) befor it is incinerated (bones and all). The ashes are then pored into the vat with the nevous system of the subject (this must be completed within 12 hours of the nervous system being placed in the vat). The vat is then left for between 4 and 24 hours at which point a chemical agent is poured into the vat which causes the unabsorebed crystalizing agent to disolve. The now crystalized nervous system is removed from the vat and left to fully harden (takes about 6 hours). This oblong sphere is the necrocore. (note this process may change)

key ability:probly will be int, cha, or wis.
class skills: as yet undetermined.
hd: as yet undetermined

Effects of becoming a necrocore: Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution are reduced (not sure how much). Cannot use spells or abilities that require physical actions (as in moving of arms, speaking, sight, etc.). Become blind and deaf. gain ability to hover (max hight equals creatuses hight befor becoming a necrocore. move at speed of about 25'). Gains Death Sense 15'(see below). Gains Versatile Mind (See below). (may add/remone/modify effects).

Necrocore abilities:
Death Sense: Death Sense is the ability to sense death in a specified radius around you. What this means is you can perceive all dead organic matter within this range in all directions at all times. This does not show color but does show distance, size, and shape. It is highly sensitive and can sense dead microbes in the air allowing the peception of wall in range (by where the floating dead microbes are not). Through the same means, it can sense sound waves through the air and interpret them into sound. However if too many sources are producing sound it is unable to do so. Physical bariers do not block death sense, but small dead organic matter cannot be detected in living matter (such as inside a tree or animal), and dead microbes cannot be detected in solid non organic matter. Complex mechanisms (such as traps) cannot be recognized by death sense and apear solid unless the creature with it has knowledge of them (them refering to the type of mechanism. acts as if in perminant search mode in case of traps). [note soil, and dead plant/fungus matter count as nonorganic matter for the purpose of death sense]

Versatile Mind: A creature with this ability can take feats even if it does not meet requirements for strength, dexterity, constitution, or base attack bonus. However, it remains unable to gain the benefits of these feats until it meets the requirements. Note that they still count towards learning other feats.

Necrocore spellcasting: Necrocore magic is based somewhat on a point type system. A necrocore has so many construct charges a day. Construct charges can be used to create a corpse from nearby dead (or even undead at later levels). In addition it also has so many control (dead matter) charges a day. Control charges are used to manipulate dead matter but lack the refinement to actualy construct complex objects with it (by manipulate, I mean move it as if under telekinetic influence). A construct charge can be traded for 3 (ratio may change) control charges, but the reverse can not be done.

Maintaining:
Some spells also last until the necrocore rests and may be made to endure after that by paying a maintaining cost out of the charges that would be regained by resting.

Corpses:
In addition, to tell the effectiveness of any given spell at any given time the number of corpses being used on that spell must be kept track of (corpses refer to the number of corpses currently being employed by an enchantment. The amount gained can vary with enchantments).

There are also multiple types of corpses used. The basic catigories are, skeletal, zombie, intact, and dead organic matter (DOM). In order to belong to one of the first three catigories, atleast half the complete corpse must be present and as well as what would have been required for it to make an attack in life (such as a moth for a bite attack). Otherwise it fits into the DOM catigory. Skeletal corpses refer to corpses that lack all flesh and meat or have very little left (a control charge can be used to turn a corpse from the intact or zombie catigory into a corpse of the skeletal catigory if chosen while using any type of spell that can use a skeletal corpse). Zombie corpses refer to corpses that are in the mid to late stages of decay. Intact corpses refer to corpses that only recently deceased or are still reletively fresh. DOM is any dead body parts that are not complete enough to fit into the other catigories (such as stray bones). DOM can also be sub catigorized into the three previous catigories (denoted by DOM(s), DOM(z), or DOM(i)).

[# of construct charges/day: 3 + 1/level + 1/key ability modifier, # of control charges/day: 3 + 2/level + 2/key ability modifier]

Basic necrocore spells:
Corpse ball
Level: Necrocore 1
casting cost:1 construct
maintaining cost: 1 construct for first 2 layers + 1 construct per layer after
duration: indefinite
range: 20'
Casting time: 1 round
usable corpses: Skeletal, Zombie, Intact, DOM
[max]Corpses generated: 3 + 1 per 2 class levels after first
description: Pulls corpses from around the area up to the max #CG (number of corpses generated) to form a protective ball around the necrocore. If DOM is used, must provide enough DOM to equate aproximatly 1 complete corpse and it counts as 2 twords the max #CG (though it only provides 1 corpse) unless there is an extreme abundance of DOM. The bodies act as armor and have varying boosts to AC (depending on type). The outermost corpses can be delt damage to destroy sections of the protective shell. 3 corpses form the first layer of the shell and each subsiquent layer is fromed of 3 X the # of corpses in the previous layer. If there are multiple selectable targets, the player can choose which they want to use. This spell can be used mutiple times for the same action provided the cost is payed for all uses. This spell may also be cast multiple times to stack its effects. For the purpose of max hover hight it is counted from the bottom of the outermost layer to the ground (each layer adds 1' to the radius of the necrocore). If a corpse (does not include those composed of DOM) has been in the Corpse ball for 3 rounds and is in the outermost layer, it may be removed from the corpse ball to create a corpse as per the Create Lesser Minion spell below [not yet writen] for a cost of 1 control charge. If the necrocore decides to maintain the spell after resting, they need not pay for every layer, but must pay for all layers under the outermost one they are paying for while all layers after the outermost one payed for break off.
Create Lesser Minion
[I]Level: Necrocore 1
casting cost:1 construct
maintaining cost: 1 construct
duration: indefinite
range: 15'
usable corpses: Skeletal, Zombie, Intact
[max]Corpses generated: 1
description: This spell takes any valid corpse, of creatures size medium or smaller, in range and repairs it for use as a minion of the necrocore. The corpse is then able to be controled by the necrocore. This spell does not actualy cause the minion to have any intelegence of its own and it acts as if it is possesed by the necrocore, though it does not prevent the necrocore from making actions apart from it (the necrocore can make actions from up to 2 + class level + key ability modifier different sources each round. These sources include itself and any minions it controls). If a minion has the necesary build, it may perform special abilities that the necrocore knows (such as talking seeing, hearing, spellcasting, fighting, etc). In the case of feats, a necrocore must first learn the feat with at least 3 minions, and at least one minion of the same type (as in skeletal, zombie, or intact. The minions that learned it in the past could use the feat and need not still be alive). If that requirement is met, then the minion automaticly has that feat. For this purpose minions start out as level 1 creatures that gain triple experience (this does not count towards experience gained by the necrocore itself, nor reduce experiance gained by the necrocore) and gain a feat every level after the first (instead of at the regular levels. They do not get a feat at level 1). A minion can only select from feats the necrocore itself already has and if none are available does not gain a feat on level up.
Bone Spike
casting cost:3 control
maintaining cost: NA
duration: NA
range: 22'
area: 1'/class level (base diameter), 2' + 1'/class level (height)
Casting time: 1/2 round
usable corpses: Skeletal, DOM(s)
[max]Corpses generated: 0
description: This spell pulls bones from the suroundings through (or along) the ground to the target location, where they burst upward in a spike made of bone dealing damage (yet to be decided) to everything in range. The spike then colapses into a pile of bones.
Bone Shot
casting cost:2 control
range: 40' (note bones must originate within 10' of the caster)
area: NA
usable corpses:DOM(s)
description: The necrocore uses its ability to manipulate dead organic matter to throw sharp bones at enemies (1/class level max 10). In addition, starting at the second level the necrocore can make a 10 degree change in direction of each projectile with the ability to make an aditional 5 degree change in the direcion of each projectile every 2 levels there after (note: may not change more than 85 degrees in any direction from initial direction aimed). Each projectile deals 1d6 damage.
Corpse Spike
Level: Necrocore 3
casting cost:4 control
range: 22'
area: 1'/class level - 2 (base diameter), 1'/class level (height)
usable corpses: Skeletal, Zombie, DOM(s), DOM(z)
description: This spell is the same as bone spike but must include at least 1/4 zombie matter (be it zombie or DOM(z)), and causes disease (type and DC undecided).
Heal Dead
Level: Necrocore 2
casting cost:variable
range: 15'
area: NA
usable corpses: NA
description: Repair all damage to target nonliving creature (includes undead and minions). This does not resurect dead creature nor change corpse type (such as from skeleton to zombie or intact, or zombie to intact). Cost is based on size of target.
Costs:
Fine : 1 control
Diminutive : 2 control
Tiny : 4 control
Small : 5 control
Medium : 1 construct
Large : 1 construct + 3 control
Huge : 3 construct
Gargantuan : 5 construct
Colossal : 9 construct

[more to come soon]

Owrtho

Owrtho
2008-08-06, 02:53 PM
Well, I've done most of the level 1 abilities I can think of. I was also considering giving it access to sorcerer/wizard necromancy spells. Any ideas or suggestion for what I have so far are welcome.

Owrtho

JoshuaZ
2008-08-06, 03:08 PM
This is very confusing. Do you mean this is intended to be a Prestige Class? (Normally abbreviated PRC). Is that what you mean when you refer to it as "prereq class"? If so, what are the specific requirements to enter it? You list a special ritual but nothing with game mechanics such as certain ability scores, ability to cast certain spells etc.

What levels does it get the various spells and abilities at?

I'm also confused by "Versitile Mind." I presume you mean versatile but it still leaves me confused. If they "Cannot use spells or abilities that require physical actions" how does this fit with Versitile Mind and what is Versitile Mind supposed to represent?

There are some interesting ideas here but at this point the ideas are unclear, the material is poorly presented, the underlying fluff/motivation for the class is unclear, the power level is unclear, and while there is an idea for a central mechanic involving the points it is not clear how they work at all. You may want to think about this a bit more and then repost when you have a clearer idea of what you want.

Owrtho
2008-08-06, 04:39 PM
This is very confusing. Do you mean this is intended to be a Prestige Class? (Normally abbreviated PRC). Is that what you mean when you refer to it as "prereq class"? If so, what are the specific requirements to enter it? You list a special ritual but nothing with game mechanics such as certain ability scores, ability to cast certain spells etc.
Valid point. I said prereq since it has requirments to become the class but is not actualy a prc as the requirments are not actual mechanics of the character. In this way it is similar to the Eidolon class in Ghostwalk (can't be taken first level, & must be dead to take levels in it). I probly should change that.

What levels does it get the various spells and abilities at?
The abilities listed so far are first level. (I intend to start making a chart after I determine some more of the features and/or have abilities that aren't first level). The spells already say what level (first thing when spoiler box is opened).

I'm also confused by "Versitile Mind." I presume you mean versatile but it still leaves me confused. If they "Cannot use spells or abilities that require physical actions" how does this fit with Versitile Mind and what is Versitile Mind supposed to represent?
That is indeed a typo. The reason is that if you read the create lesser minion spell, it states that minions can use feats that the necrocore itself knows (provided some requirments are met). Due to the fact that the necrocore itself is in essence a somewhat fragile floating crystal it is likely to have horible stats in STR, DEX, & CON, as well as no base attack bonus (can't actualy make attacks itself except maby charging at someone). However, as the minions can use feats and perform physical actions, but only can use feats the necrocore already knows, a means must be made for the necrocore to gain feats if it wants to (for example) have a minion use cleave.

There are some interesting ideas here but at this point the ideas are unclear, the material is poorly presented, the underlying fluff/motivation for the class is unclear, the power level is unclear, and while there is an idea for a central mechanic involving the points it is not clear how they work at all. You may want to think about this a bit more and then repost when you have a clearer idea of what you want.
The issue is not so much an unclear idea on my part, as it is a difficulty in determining the correct format and trouble expressing ideas tthat are clear in my head and seem clear to me (also the fact I have a somewhat rambling thought pattern and tend to type the stuff as it comes to me and then try to organize it afterwords).

As for the point system alow me to atempt to clarify. There are two types of points that the necrocore uses which represent its mental focus over the course of the day (which decreases as it is used and the necrocore is worn out). The construct points represent the refined and sustained control over dead matter. These points are used mainly for the creation and upkeep of "perminant" objects (namely minions and the corpse sphere). The control points however represent active control that is not sustained. This is used mainly for the movement of dead matter to acomplish a particular goal, that can that once done, can be ignored and forgotten about. The difference is somewhat like that of balancing a ball versus throwing it. However as these are mental abilities, the construct points may be exchanged for control point but not the other way around.

The reason for these two types of points is so that a necrocore can have a somewhat limited number of minions, but still be able to have some just fire and forget spells.

For example a level 1 necrocore with 14 in the key ability would have 6 construct points and 9 control points. This means that they could use the create lesser minion spell 6 times and the bone spike spell 3 times a day. or they could exchange construct points for control points and cast bone spike 9 times a day and not have any minions.

As for what the key ability (as in INT, WIS, CHA) is, I am currently unsure what to use. Normaly I would expect it to be CHA as that is usualy used for such things as dominating, charming, etc., but as CHA is normaly considered to have to do with appearences and mannerisms, it doesn't seem to fit (as those are all stripped from the person in the process of becoming a necrocore). However, if it is not CHA, it would have to be between INT and WIS, but I can see no clear deciding factor for why it should be either of them. Any suggestions are welcome.

Owrtho

Sir Shadow
2009-07-27, 03:59 PM
[# of construct charges/day: 3 + 1/level + 1/key ability modifier, # of control charges/day: 3 + 2/level + 2/key ability modifier]

I believe it should be 1*level; 1*key ability modifier.

I know you mean that 1/level is "1 per level" but when its in an equation it looks like you mean "1 divided by level"

Owrtho
2009-07-27, 04:32 PM
Well, seems like it might be easier to just change it to 1 per level (or 2 per level as the case may be). I haven't worked on this for awhile though.
Still I might try working on this again now that I have more experience with homebrew. I must ask though, how did you come upon this thread? It is rather old after all.

Owrtho