PDA

View Full Version : Batman: The Brave and the Bold

kpenguin
2008-08-06, 02:49 AM
Trailer Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpXSPJZr65s)

I'm... a bit optimistic.

It appears that they're going with an old-school Batman look. Despite the camp, this could be good or bad depending on how seriously we're supposed to take it. I'm not to sure about the premise of a show completely made up of cross-overs, however.

All in all, it looks like a fun, if not totally awesome like BTAS was, show. Fingers crossed.:smallsmile:

Glaivemaster
2008-08-06, 03:39 AM
It doesn't look to me like it's supposed to be a serious, adult form of Batman. Looks just like Batman and friends having awesome adventures which kids can easily enjoy, in contrast to the current movies

I hope it's good, but I don't think it will be comparable to BTAS in terms of style

kpenguin
2008-08-08, 04:48 AM
I hope it's good, but I don't think it will be comparable to BTAS in terms of style

I cannot imagine the show that will surpass BTAS enough to get through my nostalgia glasses.

Dr. Bath
2008-08-08, 05:07 AM
Looks pretty alright to me. Different to the GRIMDARK Batman that's been prominent in recent times. Not that that's a bad thing, it doesn't fit some of Batman's... odder villains.

Revlid
2008-08-08, 06:12 AM
So, BTAS was totally fantastic and very mature. Awesome through and through, with only a few hiccups in writing and design (the Scarecrow and Penguin come to mind, up until the redesign).

The Batman was a 'bit' less mature, acting as something of a half-way point between 'camp' and BTAS Batman, but it had its moments, largely in the fourth and fifth seasons, and it's character design was (to my mind) top-notch. I even liked their view of Joker, no Mark Hamil though he was, and it compared favourably to most of the other series on at the time.

This, on the other hand... Looks really campy. Let's hope it can buck the trend of 'more camp = less good".

Vaire
2008-08-08, 09:07 AM
Camp can be good. Camp can be funny. And I'd love another Batman my kids can watch. My little boy loves Batman, but there's only so many times I can sit through all of the same episodes.

On that same note, would someone please, please, please make a Spiderman cartoon that I can sit through? PLEASE?!!:smallbiggrin:

Revlid
2008-08-08, 09:26 AM
Camp can be good. Camp can be funny. And I'd love another Batman my kids can watch. My little boy loves Batman, but there's only so many times I can sit through all of the same episodes.

On that same note, would someone please, please, please make a Spiderman cartoon that I can sit through? PLEASE?!!:smallbiggrin:

Aww, you don't like Spectacular Spider-Man?

Tirian
2008-08-08, 10:43 AM

My gosh. If you can't sit through the 1967-70 cartoon, then there is something wrong with your sitting power. The theme song alone is enough awesome for a twelve minute cartoon.

As far as B&B goes, I have a longstanding prejudice that Plastic Man and Blue Beetle are a harbinger of fail, and I don't think that's let me down much over the years.

kpenguin
2008-08-08, 11:38 AM
The Batman was a 'bit' less mature, acting as something of a half-way point between 'camp' and BTAS Batman, but it had its moments, largely in the fourth and fifth seasons, and it's character design was (to my mind) top-notch. I even liked their view of Joker, no Mark Hamil though he was, and it compared favourably to most of the other series on at the time.

I enjoyed watching The Batman. However, none of the episodes, and certainly none of the fights within, gave me the "That. Was. AWESOME!!!" feeling I got from BTAS. I did like how they revamped Batman's arsenal. BTAS couldn't really do very high tech with Batman because it would break the noir feel, but The Batman's smooth gadget appearance was interesting to watch.

Aww, you don't like Spectacular Spider-Man?

Indeed. Spectacular Spider-Man is a very good adaption of the spider-man mythos, the best one I've seen so far. The animation style might turn some people off, but not me.

As far as B&B goes, I have a longstanding prejudice that Plastic Man and Blue Beetle are a harbinger of fail, and I don't think that's let me down much over the years.

Since neither appeared in JLU, despite the huge amount of DC heroes involved, you might be on to something...

kamikasei
2008-08-08, 11:47 AM
Since neither appeared in JLU, despite the huge amount of DC heroes involved, you might be on to something...

Plastic Man was at least mentioned in one episode, the one that focused on Booster Gold. Blue Beetle might have been, too. I forget whether either actually appeared on screen.

Vaire
2008-08-11, 08:03 AM
My gosh. If you can't sit through the 1967-70 cartoon, then there is something wrong with your sitting power. The theme song alone is enough awesome for a twelve minute cartoon.

Yes, I can sit through that. One of my son's dvd's (thanks a lot dad) actually has one of the old cartoons, and I can sit through those out of nostalgia's sake. Unfortunately, they do not show those on TV. They show the 90's version. They show Spider-man and his Amazing Friends (which at first I was all "COOL!" but it doesn't hold up well), but no old spiderman. I like the new one okay, but for some reason my son doesn't like to watch that one. (He's four, so he's fickle) He really really loves the 90's one. I'm thinking he gets his taste from his father.

And now he can read the word SPIDERMAN, so I can't just flip past it in the viewer guide and pretend it wasn't there.

chiasaur11
2008-08-11, 11:26 AM

But this is the NEW Blue Beetle. He's cool. I mean, he starred in a story called "Total Eclipso: The Heart". How can you hate?

Jayngfet
2008-08-11, 11:49 AM

Hey, Trash BB as much as you want but plastic man is my favorite, but then again he was my first comic so I'm a little biased.

FoE
2008-08-11, 06:04 PM
Hey, Trash BB as much as you want but plastic man is my favorite, but then again he was my first comic so I'm a little biased.

PLASTIC MAN?! Dude, nobody likes Plastic Man. :smalltongue:

Innis Cabal
2008-08-11, 07:37 PM
Looks like it was done by the guys who did Venture Brothers. Not impressed by the first glance

Jayngfet
2008-08-11, 07:42 PM

Again, a little biased, since I first read him when I was too young for real standards and had no one to compare him to, but I still like him.

North
2008-08-11, 08:02 PM
But Venture Bros is awesome!?

Innis Cabal
2008-08-11, 08:23 PM
Because its the Venture Brothers. This isnt, and the look/feel is just....come on.....stop reproducing the same crap over and over. Make new heros, market them to the younger kids, leave the present day heros to be the gods among them, and retire them. Their old. They need it more then you think.

Ascension
2008-08-11, 08:37 PM
No Robin?

I mean, it looks great, I love the campy Batman a whole heck of a lot more than the GRIMDARK Batman, but it just isn't right without Robin. The Green Arrow should be a lot of fun, but Blue Beetle and Plastic Man just seem... off. I would have gone with Batman & Robin plus Green Arrow & Speedy. Camp needs sidekicks.

chiasaur11
2008-08-11, 08:40 PM

Actually, he, along with Captain Marvel, was one of the best Super Hero comics of the Golden Age.

And if you hate the more recent Kyle Baker run... well, I just don't know what to say.

Jayngfet
2008-08-11, 09:18 PM
Because its the Venture Brothers. This isnt, and the look/feel is just....come on.....stop reproducing the same crap over and over. Make new heros, market them to the younger kids, leave the present day heros to be the gods among them, and retire them. Their old. They need it more then you think.

Honestly this applies to the actual comics and not just to DC, Spiderman had a retirement where he had a wife, daughter, quiet life and someone wlse to play wall crawler. Guess what happened when Joe Quesada came along.

Innis Cabal
2008-08-11, 09:19 PM
I meant all hero's up to present, not just DC. Though i find DC to be some of the lamest excuses for Super Hero's in the whole Pantheon.

Jayngfet
2008-08-11, 09:24 PM
I meant all hero's up to present, not just DC. Though i find DC to be some of the lamest excuses for Super Hero's in the whole Pantheon.

Considering Squirrel girl's treated as a joke despite the fact that she could probably drop most fighters without her squirrels, physically? Yes.