PDA

View Full Version : Space Ship

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-06, 05:03 AM
Just because, I give you a RAW legal spaceship.

Step 1: Craft an Adamantium Space ship in whatever design you want.
Step 2: Use Animate Object on your Space ship and then make it permanent.
Step 3: Since your space ship is now a construct its a valid target for Awaken Construct, I recommend maximizing it for an 18 in all mental stats.
Step 4: Create an item of at will greater teleport. Using the rules for crafting wondrous architecture it costs 45,500 GP. Using the command word rules it costs 163,800 GP.
Step 5: Buy a bottle of air and put it inside to keep the air fresh.
Step 6: Buy Wings of Flying for the space ship.

There you go, you have a space ship. If you want to go somewhere you just look out the window and speak the command word. The Awaken is so you can have an AI.

If you want to you can add in weapons and shields and the like.

llamamushroom
2008-08-06, 05:39 AM
But where are the Solar Sails? Everybody knows that it's not a fantasy spaceship without Solar Sails.

And for long-distance trips, put in a couple of scrying mirrors and turn one floor into an agricultural centre, prefferably run by some kind of plant-monster.

So, how much would this thing cost, and how long would it take?

Tsotha-lanti
2008-08-06, 05:57 AM
But where are the Solar Sails? Everybody knows that it's not a fantasy spaceship without Solar Sails.

The solars are busy contributing spell slots to your epic spells.

Stupendous_Man
2008-08-06, 06:04 AM
http://www.greatdreams.com/war/hal.jpg

_Puppetmaster_
2008-08-06, 07:03 AM
For the air supply, it would be better to hook up several bottles of air to several Air Pipes (or something or other; they are in stormwrack).

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-06, 07:14 AM
I know there is a better item somewhere, I just can't remember where.

DigoDragon
2008-08-06, 07:19 AM
(Image of best AI antagonist ever)

That is truely a scary thought if your awakened construct ship has HAL's personality. Espeically if there's no way to flip the off switch this time... :smalleek:

I once played in a D&D game where we found something akin to a space ship. Basically a big sealed metal box with a circular door and one window. Had a bottle of air for us, but unlike this cool idea ours only had a levitation spell to take the ship to the moon and back. So... maybe not so much a ship as an elevator.

Moon wasn't made of cheese. :smallannoyed:

The spaceship idea is nice, just remember to consider how to protect the occupants from solar radiation. :smallsmile:

bosssmiley
2008-08-06, 07:21 AM
Tippyship?

*Meh*

Needs more Grubbian physics and giant space butterflyplant-ness to be a proper fantasy starship:

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/sj/manowar/manowar_2007_840trans.png

Source (http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/sj/htm/spelljammer.htm)

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-06, 07:22 AM
The spaceship idea is nice, just remember to consider how to protect the occupants from solar radiation. :smallsmile:

Thats actually pretty easy. Assuming adamantium isn't already dense enough to act as a radiation shield.

And while this is a space ship in the sense that it can go into space and travel between solar systems, it doesn't really have to travel in space.

You can make a better ship using the Stronghold Builder's Guide as well.

Andras
2008-08-06, 02:49 PM
http://www.greatdreams.com/war/hal.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/55/SHODAN_hires.jpg/250px-SHODAN_hires.jpg

Superior. :smallwink:

Enlong
2008-08-06, 03:01 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/55/SHODAN_hires.jpg/250px-SHODAN_hires.jpg

Superior. :smallwink:

http://hivltg.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/glados.jpg

Hm? What? Who's superior?

mabriss lethe
2008-08-06, 03:26 PM
I was thinking Shadow Walk instead of Teleport. Gives it more of a "hyperspace" sort of feel for flying between worlds. (and it can also be used to facilitate interplanar travel, teleport can't.)

Tadanori Oyama
2008-08-06, 03:29 PM
You need an out source for the air from the bottle, don't you? The bottle contains air but the characters are breathing out. If you have air coming in and people breathing out than the pressure inside will increase geometrically. Does the bottle reuse existing air or just provide more?

SpikeFightwicky
2008-08-06, 03:39 PM
http://hivltg.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/glados.jpg

Hm? What? Who's superior?

As far as I'm concerned, the superior one would be the only on that trash talks => GlaDos in my books :smallbiggrin:

IM@work
2008-08-06, 03:53 PM
Add the gate ability and hooray Stargate Atlantis.
Everyone please forgive me for making such a lame reference.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-06, 04:01 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the superior one would be the only on that trash talks => GlaDos in my books :smallbiggrin:

True, but shodan is so polite. She/it called me "pathetic insect".

SpikeFightwicky
2008-08-06, 04:20 PM
True, but shodan is so polite. She/it called me "pathetic insect".

That's a good point. HAL was at least polite in his murderousness -> I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.

This whole thread has been giving me ideas. What if a mage made a rather large space ship that one can only teleport into (not out of. And only line of site within). However, on its initial flight, something went wrong. Unsure of what to do, the mage hires some adventurers to teleport into it and help fix it. What they don't know is that the AI went berserk/misconstrued orders/etc... and tries to kill the adventurers. Other than possible mutated crew members, the ship may have teleported in other random things. Once the PCs find a scrying sphere (the only means of communication), the mage tells them that they'll have to destroy it. Or something like that.

dyslexicfaser
2008-08-06, 04:35 PM
You're good at this stuff, so I'll direct this question to you, Tippy:

What do you think the price tag would be if an Artificer were to build this thing? You know, just in case I ever want to mess with my DM.

I mean, a flying ship (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070129a) is 40,000, and a moving, transforming tower (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070423a) is 50,000...

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-06, 05:01 PM

I actually made a full up Atlantis once. It's still parked inside the star we left it in as far as I know. That thing cost me about 70 Billion GP. :smallbiggrin:

You're good at this stuff, so I'll direct this question to you, Tippy:

What do you think the price tag would be if an Artificer were to build this thing? You know, just in case I ever want to mess with my DM.

I mean, a flying ship (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070129a) is 40,000, and a moving, transforming tower (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070423a) is 50,000...

The hard part is price per pound for Adamantium. You could use steel or iron if you really wanted to I suppose.

300,000 GP per ship at the most. And most of that is the magic items.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-06, 07:28 PM
This whole thread has been giving me ideas. What if a mage made a rather large space ship that one can only teleport into (not out of. And only line of site within). However, on its initial flight, something went wrong. Unsure of what to do, the mage hires some adventurers to teleport into it and help fix it. What they don't know is that the AI went berserk/misconstrued orders/etc... and tries to kill the adventurers. Other than possible mutated crew members, the ship may have teleported in other random things. Once the PCs find a scrying sphere (the only means of communication), the mage tells them that they'll have to destroy it. Or something like that.

That is... SO AWESOME!!!!!!

This is an adventure that is meant to be.

thegurullamen
2008-08-06, 08:16 PM
That is truely a scary thought if your awakened construct ship has HAL's personality. Espeically if there's no way to flip the off switch this time... :smalleek:

Spoiler tags plz!!!1

No forgiveness here, but then again, I think Atlantis is one of the best sci-fi schlockfests on TV.

More fun? Add a Decanter of Endless Water (I think that's its name) on the tail and you've got a water propulsion system.

http://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/1/1e/SMSunshine_TurboNozzle.jpg/120px-SMSunshine_TurboNozzle.jpg

(Cooler than this one though, cause it's got a cockpit [and missiles plz?!])

Better: get that sucker in space and leave a trail of ice behind you!

_Puppetmaster_
2008-08-06, 08:20 PM
@^: I think there was a thread about making a Decanter jetpack for a Kobold.

MeklorIlavator
2008-08-06, 08:20 PM
Kinda sounds like the movie Event Horizon. Actually, that would make a great adventure. All you need is to have the travel method depend on the far realm, with supposed "protection" spells, but have them fail. Ship goes mad and returns, and the adventurers are sent to find out why the crew aren't coming back.

_Puppetmaster_
2008-08-06, 08:25 PM
Here we go:

Jetpack thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81044&highlight=Jetpack)

thegurullamen
2008-08-06, 08:33 PM
Weapons time:

16 eternal wands of fireball created by a wizard with Arcane Thesis (Fireball), Energy Substitution (Sonic), Energy Admixture, Sanctuary Spell (The Ship Itself) and Extend Spell. All in all, it adds up to a 4th level spell slot/wand (which technically doesn't exist, but whatever.)

There: a 1600 ft. range missile that ignores hardness for objects (sonic damage) and burns things at 1d6xcaster level [fire] + 1d4xcaster level [sonic]. You have sixteen of them so you can have eight on each wing for a total of 32 missiles per day. They're pricey at 28,800 a pop (for a grand total of 460,800 gp) but your ship's safety is worth it! Now if only we could perfect the Magic Missile as a bullet capable of tearing through people and objects alike...

Enlong
2008-08-06, 08:36 PM
Better: get that sucker in space and leave a trail of ice behind you!

Actually, space isn't cold enough to allow that. Truefax.

Worira
2008-08-06, 08:37 PM
Also, this spaceship can punch people.

It's fairly slow other than teleporting, though, at about 12 mph assuming it always double-moves. It's also a bit limited in carrying capacity, with only 9.6 short tons at max speed or 14.4 if you're willing to drop the speed to 8 mph. Passengers and whatever they carry can be used to bring it a bit over that if you're willing to sacrifice flight and rely on teleporting, but you can only bring three along, so you can't get a standard party on this thing. Also, everyone needs to be touching whenever you teleport.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-06, 08:43 PM
Artificer. Add in another +0 feat to reduce it to 3rd. I seem to recall one that allowed you to launch the spell from another location. Toss on an Eternal Wand of Haste or 3, and a wand of various infusions. Congatulations, you now have Nitrox.

thegurullamen
2008-08-06, 08:56 PM
You know, I think I'd also like a decently large at-will evocation similar to the plasma cannons the Covenant had in Halo. Nothing quite like glassing the home continents of your enemies.

Let's see, a 10d6 fireball oughta do it. That's 1800x10x3 for an at-will command-word fireball Wondrous Item. Drop the Admixture, add a Widen and Empower for a grand total of a 1600 ft range, 80 ft diameter 10d6 fire blast at will. (Broken down: Widen (+2) Enlarge (+0) Sanctuary (-1) Whatever (-1)) Make four for a Covenant fleet ship feel. (216,000 gp)

Weapons budget so far:
460,800 gp (missiles)
216,000 gp (basic cannons)
676,800 gp

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-06, 09:00 PM
How big are we making this ship?

My vote is for Really Big!

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-06, 09:01 PM
Who has access to Stronghold Builder's Guide? The rules in that should make it awesome+affordable.

D Knight
2008-08-06, 10:05 PM
you all forget that most metal we have already are also in game like lead. just find a way to plate ether addy with lead or lead with addy and that solves the radiation problem you had.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-07, 12:32 AM
Few ideas for shipboard traps, to make it more comfortable:
Disintegrate-for use as a privvy
Create Food and Water Item-Supplies
Prestidigitation-Make the supplies edible
Unseen Servant-I figure one per passenger
True Strike-Not sure whether it can be a trap, but if so, have it put on the person manning the wands
Locate Object-A good way of spotting other ships

Other stuff that would be good
Continual Flame-Light, of course
Small Valves-purely mechanical, they can only be opened by a force slightly greater than the difference between default pressure and a vacuum, to prevent overpressure from the bottle of air
Bottle of Air-so you don't die 3 minutes out
Decanter of Endless Water x4-propulsion

Just my current thoughts, and if that doesn't make sense, sorry, I'm tired.

Enlong
2008-08-07, 12:50 AM
One thing, Presto doesn't make things edible, but flavors them. So, it'd make the supplies palatable.

Otherwise, that's a great idea, to use traps as facilities.

Maaaannnn! I want to freaking do this in a campaign now!
I wonder if there's a method in 4th edition to pull this off. Probably not yet. I figure that once you can make a space ship while completely fitting within the rules of the game, then your RPG is complete.

(P.S. Can anyone say "Lunar Whale"?)

_Puppetmaster_
2008-08-07, 07:06 AM
One thing, Presto doesn't make things edible, but flavors them. So, it'd make the supplies palatable.

Otherwise, that's a great idea, to use traps as facilities.

Maaaannnn! I want to freaking do this in a campaign now!
I wonder if there's a method in 4th edition to pull this off. Probably not yet. I figure that once you can make a space ship while completely fitting within the rules of the game, then your RPG is complete.

(P.S. Can anyone say "Lunar Whale"?)

"Lunar Whale"

DigoDragon
2008-08-07, 07:46 AM
How big are we making this ship?
My vote is for Really Big!

"You're in a 10 x 10 x 10 spaceship, ther'es an orc sitting on the controls. what do you do?" :smallwink:

Now if you want to make a ship Really Big it could serve as it's own dungeon crawl. :smallamused: Now that sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-07, 09:17 AM
Now if you want to make a ship Really Big it could serve as it's own dungeon crawl. :smallamused: Now that sounds like a lot of fun to me.

hmmm... how shall I phrase this...
YES!

stable arcane eye/magic mouth traps could serve as security cameras/alert systems

Tymire
2008-08-07, 09:42 AM
Hasn't anyone heard of THE SPELLJAMMER?

It already beats everyone's ideas.

It's definitely more intelligent that you are even no one realizes it.

For weapons it can shoot spheres of annihilation.

It's a city full of multiple races, including beholders, elves, humans, dwarves, centaurs, undead, minotaurs, and a few more I am forgetting.

It has quite a few RP opportunities since everyone living on it wants to take it over.

However, when it goes into combat all the city folks become its slaves to help defend it.

It has it's own mission that is pretty much "see and explore everything everywhere".

It's shaped like a manta ray which we all know is the most dangerous animal ever.

And best of all when it dies it spawns a baby spelljammer :smallbiggrin:.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 11:45 AM
Also, this spaceship can punch people.

It's fairly slow other than teleporting, though, at about 12 mph assuming it always double-moves. It's also a bit limited in carrying capacity, with only 9.6 short tons at max speed or 14.4 if you're willing to drop the speed to 8 mph. Passengers and whatever they carry can be used to bring it a bit over that if you're willing to sacrifice flight and rely on teleporting, but you can only bring three along, so you can't get a standard party on this thing. Also, everyone needs to be touching whenever you teleport.

Actually it can carry everyone just fine. Well up to 67,200 pounds just fine. Remember, the ships is a colossal animated object quadruped. And since it is a creature it can use the teleportation engine. And since everyone is inside the ship they can be counted as it carrying up to its max weight. So your just fine.

EDIT: And if you want real fun and armor it should be made out of riverine (stormwrack) but that would cost 2,000 GP per pound. And a disjunction/rod of cancellation would throughly ruin your day.

tresson
2008-08-07, 12:09 PM
Actually it can carry everyone just fine. Well up to 67,200 pounds just fine. Remember, the ships is a colossal animated object quadruped. And since it is a creature it can use the teleportation engine. And since everyone is inside the ship they can be counted as it carrying up to its max weight. So your just fine.

EDIT: And if you want real fun and armor it should be made out of riverine (stormwrack) but that would cost 2,000 GP per pound. And a disjunction/rod of cancellation would throughly ruin your day.

When doesn't disjunction/rod of cancellation ruin your day?

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 12:12 PM
When doesn't disjunction/rod of cancellation ruin your day?

Well if used against the outside of the adamantium space ship it just makes your space ship non sentient, but you aren't floating in space. If used against the riverrine ship it destroys the whole ship and now you are just floating in space.

MammonAzrael
2008-08-07, 12:17 PM
You could also take the Artifact Lord Epic Destiny (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428). Protection from disjunctions!

Or, if it's sentient, have IT take the epic destiny (assuming it's 24th level). And I'd rule the ability protects it.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-07, 12:20 PM
You could also take the Artifact Lord Epic Destiny (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080428). Protection from disjunctions!

Or, if it's sentient, have IT take the epic destiny (assuming it's 24th level). And I'd rule the ability protects it.3.5. With Tippy, it's always 3.5.

In fact, I don't think it's a bad idea for playgrounders to put which edition they're playing now in their sigs, to reduce confusion.

MammonAzrael
2008-08-07, 12:26 PM
3.5. With Tippy, it's always 3.5.

In fact, I don't think it's a bad idea for playgrounders to put which edition they're playing now in their sigs, to reduce confusion.

I know it's 3.5. The article is a 3.5 version of epic destinies that replaces the 21st, 24th, 27th, and 30th feats. Check the link next time first.

EDIT: I just reread that and it sounded kinda rude. Sorry if you took offense, none was intended.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 01:15 PM
I know it's 3.5. The article is a 3.5 version of epic destinies that replaces the 21st, 24th, 27th, and 30th feats. Check the link nest time first.

It has the HD so I may actually.

Stupendous_Man
2008-08-07, 01:43 PM
It's shaped like a manta ray which we all know is the most dangerous animal ever.

to steve irwin

dyslexicfaser
2008-08-07, 02:20 PM
to steve irwin

And ergo, to everyone who is less awesome than Steve Irwin, i.e. everyone.

Thinker
2008-08-07, 02:34 PM
Hasn't anyone heard of THE SPELLJAMMER?

Lots of people have heard of Spelljammer. The difference is that SJ makes its own rules, whereas Tippy follows the ones already in play. SJ is a cool setting (I played in it during a 3.5 game), but I like Tippy's ideas, too. Now if only there were a way to make some sort of space opera campaign out of this...

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 03:01 PM
Lots of people have heard of Spelljammer. The difference is that SJ makes its own rules, whereas Tippy follows the ones already in play. SJ is a cool setting (I played in it during a 3.5 game), but I like Tippy's ideas, too. Now if only there were a way to make some sort of space opera campaign out of this...

You could. If you want to run it I'll gladly play.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-07, 04:11 PM
You could. If you want to run it I'll gladly play.

Seconded!

Space... The final frontier. These are the voyages of the Star ship [insert name]. It's continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before...

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-07, 04:23 PM
I'm in. Someone volunteer to run.

Also, the Starship Venture, anyone? Not quite as likely to succeed as an enterprise, and far cheaper.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 04:25 PM
I'll make the starship if you want. Using a combination of this and the Stronghold Builders guide.

Hmm, do we want weapons on it and if so how many?

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-07, 04:34 PM
well, is this a war craft, a transport, or an exploration craft? If it is exploration, I think it should probably have light weapons only.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-07, 04:57 PM
Also you need to know what level, and how much gold? I assume you'll run an Artificer? I'm willing to fill whatever roll is needed, but I'm thinking of a Cha-focused non-caster.

Edit: I'm thinking exploration, with better defenses than offenses. (Blasphemy, I know)

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 04:58 PM
What counts as light? :D

Hmm, let's see a maximized, enlarged disintegrate turret for close in work (only has a range of 600 feet) and mining/exploring underground.

A maximized, enlarged fireball turret for extended range work (has a range of 2,400 feet).

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 04:59 PM
Also you need to know what level, and how much gold? I assume you'll run an Artificer? I'm willing to fill whatever roll is needed, but I'm thinking of a Cha-focused character.

Nah, I'll go wizard or maybe psion. Perhaps we just found the ship, didn't actually build it ourselves.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-07, 05:00 PM
What counts as light? :D

Hmm, let's see a maximized, enlarged disintegrate turret for close in work (only has a range of 600 feet) and mining/exploring underground.

A maximized, enlarged fireball turret for extended range work (has a range of 2,400 feet).

I like.

If we find somebody to run this, I think I'll go with a rogue/wizard and head for arcane trickster
Edit: but, if everyone else is going with a magic user, I can be flexible

btw, how fast does this ship go anyway?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-07, 05:04 PM
I was thinking some sort of Crusader or Marshal or Bard.

Are we going to fit the normal roles on a ship(ie a capitan, someone to keep it running, someone to man the turrets, that sort of thing?)

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-07, 05:05 PM
I suppose that would be up to whoever runs this.

So, can anybody think of a way to get gravity in the ship?

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 05:52 PM
btw, how fast does this ship go anyway?
Depends on how I end up making it. In atmosphere it would be either 60 feet per round (10 miles an hour). Out of the atmosphere it depends.

A Decanter of Endless water produces about 130 foot pounds of force per round (or it will move 130 pounds 1 foot in 1 second). Assuming our ship's total weight ends up at 320,000 pounds (250,000 for the ship +70,000 in goods) then it would take 1 Decanter 4 hours to move the ship 1 foot. Go with 100 decanters and it accelerates at 1 foot every 2.4 minutes.

500 decanters and we are accelerating at 0.0338541666 feet per second.

After 1 day we will be up to 1994.31817789 miles per hour. After 10 days we will be up to 19,943.1817789 miles per hour and will have traveled 23,931 miles (about).

After 10 days we will have gone 3.85 billion miles. Or about a billion miles past pluto.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 05:54 PM

Reverse Gravity Traps on the ceiling. It technically works, causes us to "fall" towards the floor at 1g.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-07, 06:01 PM
I like the reverse gravity traps.

The decanters would speed us up nicely, but how do we slow down?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-07, 06:07 PM
Immovable Rods, how else?

Alternatively, we could use more Decanters to turn and then use the accelerators to decelerate.

Worira
2008-08-07, 06:10 PM
Immovable rods work if you don't mind a sudden stop.

EDIT: Dang ninja!

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-07, 06:13 PM
If we're going thousands of miles per hour, a sudden stop is going to be the last thing we want:smalleek:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-07, 06:15 PM
If we're going thousands of miles per hour, a sudden stop is going to be the last thing we want:smalleek:Adamantium structure+massive speed would beat the strength check, but if we worked out how much force was actually needed for a DC30 strength check, we could use them to decelerate.

Jayngfet
2008-08-07, 06:18 PM
I was thinking about running a campane like this. Just to throw it out there it's:

In the beginning there were humans and halflings, watched over by the sun goddess and moon god. There was an age of relative peace thousands of years ago, where the people and gods multiplied. There was overpopulation and power struggles between men and gods. Eventually the kids left and took half the population. Recently some wizards found the new worlds and sent a few ships to explore. You're on one of these.

Any takers?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-07, 06:21 PM
I was thinking about running a campane like this. Just to throw it out there it's:

In the beginning there were humans and halflings, watched over by the sun goddess and moon god. There was an age of relative peace thousands of years ago, where the people and gods multiplied. There was overpopulation and power struggles between men and gods. Eventually the kids left and took half the population. Recently some wizards found the new worlds and sent a few ships to explore. You're on one of these.

Any takers?Sure. words

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-07, 06:21 PM

Any takers?

this has got some serious potential -- I like it

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 06:29 PM
Immovable rods aren't strong enough by a factor of 10. You just flip the ship and decelerate the same way you accelerated. Or stick another 500 Decanters on the front.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 06:30 PM

Any takers?

Sure, make a thread. I'll make the ship.

Hurlbut
2008-08-07, 06:34 PM
You just flip the ship and decelerate the same way you accelerated. Or stick another 500 Decanters on the front.Former is easier to do and less space intensive

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 06:40 PM
Oh, I've got it.

Shrink Item. It reduces mass by a factor of 4,000. Well 40 cubic feet of steel weighs 19,602 pounds (and can be stored in a portable hole). Conservation of motion means that making one of those go big will reduce our speed.

Now whether or not it will reduce it enough is something I can figure out after dinner.

Worira
2008-08-07, 06:42 PM
The thing is that, by RAW, a creature pushing against an immovable rod can make a DC 9001 strength check and will still only move 10 feet per round. Yes, it can only support 8000 pounds before falling to the ground, but it doesn't need to support weight, since the rods are working to cancel the forward velocity, not support the ship itself.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 07:17 PM
True. Hmm, if we go with 8,000 pounds of thrust for the immovable rod (instead of the 16 you get by going of the strength check) then they work. With 10 rods we accelerate 7.3846154 times faster than we accelerate.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-07, 07:40 PM
Hmmmm... I just had another thought. Suppose we didn't slow down. How many days do we have to travel before we get enough speed to bash straight through an earth-sized planet?

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 08:04 PM
Hmmmm... I just had another thought. Suppose we didn't slow down. How many days do we have to travel before we get enough speed to bash straight through an earth-sized planet?

A very, very, very long time. And it would vaporize us as well. Accelerating a 1,000 pound object up to as close to c as possible and doing so at 9.2 m/s^2 takes 354 days. Doing it with a 350,000 pound object and an acceleration rate of .033 feet/s^2 would take centuries. Our speed increases by 2,925 mph per day. Or 1,059,581.25 mph per year.

It would take about 570 years to reach .9c (and thats without dealing with and of relativities problems).

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-07, 08:38 PM
It would take about 570 years to reach .9c (and thats without dealing with and of relativities problems).

:smallcool: I can wait...

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 08:44 PM
:smallcool: I can wait...

Yes well the ship might not like getting destroyed.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-07, 09:04 PM
HAL, I'd like you to ram this ship into the nearest planet.

I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.

lol. I forgot it was sentient.

Collin152
2008-08-07, 09:06 PM
to steve irwin

Sting Ray.
You lose.

dyslexicfaser
2008-08-07, 09:14 PM
Sting Ray.
You lose.

The stingray is smaller, and somewhat more poisonous than the manta.

Is the distinction that important? They're still both in the ray family.

Collin152
2008-08-07, 09:17 PM
The stingray is smaller, and somewhat more poisonous than the manta.

Is the distinction that important? They're still both in the ray family.

Irwin was not killed by a Manta, and nobody argues semantics more than me on that point.

Worira
2008-08-07, 09:45 PM
An alternate possibility is to have a Psion True Mind Switch with the ship. You could either animate it first then mind switch (if you use a gargantuan ship instead of colossal, or boost your ML to 32), or do the sandwich trick.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 09:49 PM
An alternate possibility is to have a Psion True Mind Switch with the ship. You could either animate it first then mind switch (if you use a gargantuan ship instead of colossal, or boost your ML to 32), or do the sandwich trick.

The Psion would first have to get through the firewall, otherwise known as Mind Blank.

And all you would have to do to get rid of him is hit the ship with a disjunction (or a greater dispel magic that can make the DC 42 check).

I'm actually thinking about including a 1 time use Disjunction for just that reason (AI goes insane).

Meat Shield
2008-08-07, 09:56 PM
Are you trying to make an AI shipmind, or a LIVING ship? Because I think a campaign a la Farscape with Moya the living intelligent ship would be excellent.

dyslexicfaser
2008-08-07, 09:56 PM
The Psion would first have to get through the firewall, otherwise known as Mind Blank.

And all you would have to do to get rid of him is hit the ship with a disjunction (or a greater dispel magic that can make the DC 42 check).

I'm actually thinking about including a 1 time use Disjunction for just that reason (AI goes insane).

You're really trying to cover all eventualities, huh Tippy?

Anyway: I recommend the Magic Missile Turrets ("Fire lasers!") from Fax's 1000 Days adventure module thing, and maybe a Globe of Invulnerability ("Bring up the shields!")

Tippy's character should definitely be the Artificer in the pilot's chair for this adventure.

Meat Shield
2008-08-07, 09:58 PM
Also, what are you doing for sensors? 'Visual scanning' in space is a good way to fail spot checks - the amount of volume and distances to try to keep an eye on makes looking for targets visually a losing proposition.

dyslexicfaser
2008-08-07, 10:05 PM
Maybe you could modify a Prying Eyes spell for battles: send out a bunch of sensors that report back to you, a la that Outlaw Star anime.

EDIT: Or have a character constantly at a scrying basin, on the lookout for danger.

Worira
2008-08-07, 10:05 PM
You can't disjoin or dispel True Mind Switch. And I wasn't suggesting it as a form of attack, I was suggesting it as a ship improvement.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 10:21 PM
Are you trying to make an AI shipmind, or a LIVING ship? Because I think a campaign a la Farscape with Moya the living intelligent ship would be excellent.

It's a living ship, but its also a construct. So I went with AI.

You're really trying to cover all eventualities, huh Tippy?
Trying to.

Anyway: I recommend the Magic Missile Turrets ("Fire lasers!") from Fax's 1000 Days adventure module thing, and maybe a Globe of Invulnerability ("Bring up the shields!")
Depends on the game's power level. And for shields I was thinking a couple Cubes of Force (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#cubeofForce).

Tippy's character should definitely be the Artificer in the pilot's chair for this adventure.
Yeah, except that I don't really like artificers. I could just be a wizard as my class and artificer as my profession.

Also, what are you doing for sensors? 'Visual scanning' in space is a good way to fail spot checks - the amount of volume and distances to try to keep an eye on makes looking for targets visually a losing proposition.
Haven't decided yet.

You can't disjoin or dispel True Mind Switch. And I wasn't suggesting it as a form of attack, I was suggesting it as a ship improvement.
Yes but Animate Object is permanent, and can be disjoined. If a creature manages to get through the constructs immunity to mind effecting stuff (doable) then it will be in the animated object. Which can be disjoined. It's also there encase the ships AI goes rogue.

dyslexicfaser
2008-08-07, 10:24 PM
Wouldn't a cube of force last less than 10 minutes per day? That would get very, very pricey.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 10:27 PM
Wouldn't a cube of force last less than 10 minutes per day? That would get very, very pricey.

I never said it would be up all day, just for battles. And their really isn't any other way to make a shield and let us travel at speed (TK sphere limits us to 30 feet per round and would require something like a CL 100 caster).

dyslexicfaser
2008-08-07, 10:34 PM
Well, if the ship is Awakened, I guess it could cast defensive spells?

I dunno, just a thought.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 10:42 PM
Well, if the ship is Awakened, I guess it could cast defensive spells?

I dunno, just a thought.

Yes, it could. If it had caster levels. Although those defenses might not be the greatest (few ways to get flat out immunity, force effects are about all and none of those will work).

Hmm, I wonder if the DM will let me play the ship.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I could be the ship. And when we are adventuring outside the ship I can be a shadesteel golem (no casting though, just the golem). So long as the party is at least 10th level it could work.

ericgrau
2008-08-07, 10:54 PM
Took notes as I read:
1. Exploration ships need high military power. Come on, haven't you seen Star Trek? Equally true for D&D. Being an exploration ship only means that you need high military might and every magic gizmo you can imagine for unmatched space-battle control and random situations.

2. Air

Bottle of Air

This item appears to be a normal glass bottle with a cork. When taken to any airless environment it retains air within it at all times, continually renewing its contents. This means that a character can draw air out of the bottle to breathe. The bottle can even be shared by multiple characters who pass it around. Breathing out of the bottle is a standard action, but a character so doing can then act for as long as she can hold her breath.

So first we need to submerge the bottle of air in water or some other airless environment. Then we need to draw the air out somehow (as bubbles), perhaps with a mechanical fan or permanent gust of wind. Then we need several backups, b/c it would suck royally if the system failed somehow.

Then comes the mechanical pressure relief, as mentioned before. The typically pressure relief valve is a spring loaded metal plate. I wouldn't trust such a thing to not break open or get stuck eventually and release all the air suddenly. Perhaps redundancy will again be our friend. Multiple pressure relief valves with pinholes, so if one breaks we can go fix it. In the mean time it won't release air fast enough through the pinhole to be a problem; other valves will just close more automatically. If one gets stuck closed, other valves will likewise just open more automatically until it is fixed. Maintenance schedules would include replacing the springs periodically regardless of condition. Spring stiffness is carefully measured with weights and the springs are trimmed as needed before installation.

3. Viewing space.
There are no windows, just a big permanent scrying mirror that can scry on anything within range. Naturally, the command words are "On Screen!"

4. See end of #1. This ship needs every magic gizmo for obscure situations. Instead of talking in techno-babble, you talk in d&d-ese to solve your problems, it actually means something and it's still uber-nerdy.

Ryacko
2008-08-07, 11:00 PM
The ship should be coated with lead to protect from both radiation and scrying.

Erm... wouldn't the pilots require advanced astronomical knowledge? Or at least the AI? But then you wouldn't want the AI to get disabled, since you wouldn't be able to pilot the ship yourself...

EDIT: What about waste? How would that be removed?

ericgrau
2008-08-07, 11:05 PM
To get around you need:
1. Heavy armor for random asteroids travelling at thousands of miles per hour. Check.
2. Propulsion. Check.
3. A good way of looking around. Check.
4. Navigation. Ah, perhaps this was what you were asking. Scrying tells you where you are, but how do direct the propulsion? Scry + teleport could keep things simple most of the time, but for "impulse power" to slowly move around it'll take some practice. It's similar to manuevering on the elemental plane of air. Or if the decanters are a means of long-distance travel, you'll need to do calculations with physics that haven't been invented yet. Or just guess and start crashing into things (or teleport before you crash).

There's really not much else to it. As for knowledge of cosmic things like planets and stars, well, the crew would be the first explorers. They'll have to find out the hard way.

Waste:
Someone mentioned distintegrate for waste, though that seems a bit dangerous to me. And who knows what happens to the vapors. I'd put it in a vessel to be teleported out.

Heating and Cooling:
There are spells that create a comfortable environment, but they have limits. Perhaps some permanent heat metals and chill metals could be connected to some kind of thermostat.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-07, 11:07 PM
The ship should be coated with lead to protect from both radiation and scrying.

Erm... wouldn't the pilots require advanced astronomical knowledge? Or at least the AI? But then you wouldn't want the AI to get disabled, since you wouldn't be able to pilot the ship yourself...

EDIT: What about waste? How would that be removed?Disintigrate. As for Navigation, huh, I was thinking some sort of Locate (object, temple) spell, but most of them seem to have ranges measured in the miles. Is there a Ranger spell out there that lets you ignore distance penalties on spot checks?

Edit:Tippy's making a Wizard, I think. 10th level means [18(base)+2(race)+2(level)+4(Item)], or 26 int minimum. I.E., far smarter than Einstein. I doubt the physics will be a problem.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 11:07 PM
The AI can have 35 ranks in Knowledge: Astronomy and will have an Int of 37 (18 from awaken, 8 from HD, 5 from a Tome, 6 from an Item). That means a +48 on its check. Throw in a masterwork tool and perhaps a +30 item and your up to +80.

---
Yes, air is a problem. I think I'm going to use the wondrous architecture from Stronghold Builders Guide for it (they have one that makes the room always have fresh air).

As for viewing space, prolly some form of crystal ball.

ericgrau
2008-08-07, 11:08 PM
Scrying has unlimited range, but it must target creatures. Hmmm...

EDIT:
I know. Maybe if you summoned and teleported some creature that can survive in space? Repeatedly:

"Zoom in on that planet!"
(summon)
(teleport)
(scry)
"Interesting... Let's take a look at that continent"
(summon)
(teleport)
(scry)

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 11:10 PM
Waste:
Someone mentioned distintegrate for waste, though that seems a bit dangerous to me. And who knows what happens to the vapors. I'd put it in a vessel to be teleported out.
It's perfectly safe (unless the DM starts house ruling). I'm trying to keep everything as RAW legal as possible.

Heating and Cooling:
There are spells that create a comfortable environment, but they have limits. Perhaps some permanent heat metals and chill metals could be connected to some kind of thermostat.
Stronghold Builders Guide has something that keeps the room a nice 70 degrees Fahrenheit at all times.

Jayngfet
2008-08-07, 11:22 PM
Yes, it could. If it had caster levels. Although those defenses might not be the greatest (few ways to get flat out immunity, force effects are about all and none of those will work).

Hmm, I wonder if the DM will let me play the ship.

Sure, I was thinking of making the ship a transforming mecha (the inside is a huge bag of holding so the people are fine). With a big 'ol sword and a shield, maybe eye beams. Rule of cool and such.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 11:28 PM
Sure, I was thinking of making the ship a transforming mecha (the inside is a huge bag of holding so the people are fine). With a big 'ol sword and a shield, maybe eye beams. Rule of cool and such.

Yeah, no. Maybe if the ship has 17+ caster levels it will shapechange into a golem. Otherwise I say no transforming. For ground adventures it can just come along as a golem (who can't cast spells) and stay in contact with the others by making use of the permanent telepathic bonds it has with everyone on the ship.

Glyphic
2008-08-07, 11:38 PM
If there's a campaign, I'd like to sign up as Ensign Ricky.

Jayngfet
2008-08-07, 11:41 PM
Yeah, no. Maybe if the ship has 17+ caster levels it will shapechange into a golem. Otherwise I say no transforming. For ground adventures it can just come along as a golem (who can't cast spells) and stay in contact with the others by making use of the permanent telepathic bonds it has with everyone on the ship.

Good point, got a link to the golem you want?

thegurullamen
2008-08-07, 11:45 PM
Scrying has unlimited range, but it must target creatures. Hmmm...

I know. Maybe if you summoned and teleported some creature that can survive in space?

The heck with that. The answer is disposable lumps of organic matter plus a mechanism for launching said annoying organic lumps at high speeds and into orbit around the target.

All it boils down to is: anyone got a tribble?

For weapons, I still recommend the gestalt sonic-fireball missiles. Great way to bypass hardness.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-07, 11:55 PM
Good point, got a link to the golem you want?

Page 72 of MM 3.

dyslexicfaser
2008-08-08, 12:00 AM
Also: the 6th level druid spell Find the Path will find you the best way to get to any person, place, or object as long as they're on the same plane you are. You'd never be lost again.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 12:02 AM
Also: the 6th level druid spell Find the Path will find you the best way to get to any person, place, or object as long as they're on the same plane you are. You'd never be lost again.

Hmm, good idea. That works for a guidance system.

Recaiden
2008-08-08, 12:20 AM
I'd like to try joining the campaign, if it's going to happen.

Ship with 2400 feet fireball cannons, disintegrate, find the path, 1 shot disjunction, 500 decanters. What else do we need?

Jayngfet
2008-08-08, 12:26 AM
Page 72 of MM 3.

Don't have that book.

I'm afraid I can't do that Tippy.

Worira
2008-08-08, 12:32 AM
Yes but Animate Object is permanent, and can be disjoined. If a creature manages to get through the constructs immunity to mind effecting stuff (doable) then it will be in the animated object. Which can be disjoined. It's also there encase the ships AI goes rogue.

Again, the idea is to have the true mind switching psion be a party member. The psion could even enter a non-animated ship using the sandwich trick.

Also, how are you getting a colossal animated object? Since the sandwich trick doesn't use HD, the psion can mind switch with it anyway, but how does the wizard get the 32 caster levels?

EDIT: and yes, I'd like to play as this character if a campaign does result.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-08, 12:37 AM
Not too make us too much of a "Mecha" party, but I was considering a Warforged Archivist Medic/Buffer.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 12:52 AM
Don't have that book.

I'm afraid I can't do that Tippy.

Here (http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/9341/shadesteelyq4.jpg) are the stats.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 12:53 AM
Again, the idea is to have the true mind switching psion be a party member. The psion could even enter a non-animated ship using the sandwich trick.
Yeah, but I want to be the ship.

Also, how are you getting a colossal animated object? Since the sandwich trick doesn't use HD, the psion can mind switch with it anyway, but how does the wizard get the 32 caster levels?
Scroll. You can wish one up.

EDIT: and yes, I'd like to play as this character if a campaign does result.
I want to play as the ship.

dyslexicfaser
2008-08-08, 01:17 AM
Since we're going nuts with the ship enhancements, what would it cost for a command word Invisibility trap/enchantment? Give that sucker a 'cloak' or 'stealth' option.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 01:20 AM
Since we're going nuts with the ship enhancements, what would it cost for a command word Invisibility trap/enchantment? Give that sucker a 'cloak' or 'stealth' option.

Superior Invisibility would be the best option and that would cost 60,000 GP. A regular old invisibility would handle the visible spectrum just fine, and that would only be 3,000 GP.

Fizban
2008-08-08, 01:31 AM
If you want acceleration, try those boots from the Planar Handbook. That'll get you a solid 1G acceleration changeable 1/round at will. Boots of Gravity for around 50k. If you need a sudden stop after all that, the flying rules don't cause more than a few d6's for pulling out of a stall.
And upon reading the entry, it maxes out at 60'. Phooey.

I can't remember what book they're in, but if I recall correctly, spell turrets are ridiculously cheap, even compared to standard traps. If you can't swing targeting them by hand, set them to attack some specific thing you can summon at long range at will: you get to mark the target by lauching a probe.

Pumping the radius of a Resilient or Telekinetic Sphere would make for a great shield, and we've already seen Tippy do that. I wonder what would happen if you cast Temporal Stasis on the ship while people were inside?

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 01:34 AM
If you want acceleration, try those boots from the Planar Handbook. That'll get you a solid 1G acceleration changeable 1/round at will. Boots of Gravity for around 50k. If you need a sudden stop after all that, the flying rules don't cause more than a few d6's for pulling out of a stall.
I'll have to take a look at that.

I can't remember what book they're in, but if I recall correctly, spell turrets are ridiculously cheap, even compared to standard traps. If you can't swing targeting them by hand, set them to attack some specific thing you can summon at long range at will: you get to mark the target by lauching a probe.
Believe me, I already am getting magic items ridiculously cheap (immovable wondrous architecture is Spell Level x Caster Level x 500).

Pumping the radius of a Resilient or Telekinetic Sphere would make for a great shield, and we've already seen Tippy do that. I wonder what would happen if you cast Temporal Stasis on the ship while people were inside?

The problem with TK Sphere is that it moves at most 60 feet per round. Far to slow when we can be at speeds above 10,000 mph.

Worira
2008-08-08, 01:38 AM
Bleh. Psion ships are much more awesome than awakened construct ships.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 01:41 AM
And upon reading the entry, it maxes out at 60'. Phooey.
Yeah, just saw that. But false gravity is much better for providing artificial gravity than reverse gravity is.

Ecalsneerg
2008-08-08, 05:19 AM
I want to play in this, but it looks like there's already lots of demand... Have you discussed surviving outwith the ship or did I miss that bit somehow? I'm sure I know a spell, but can't remember the name or book... It removes the need to breath. Am I imagining things?

D Knight
2008-08-08, 09:37 AM
all you need to survive out side the ship is full plate thats is sealed air tight and reneforced then add a bottle of air for well air and then you need to find a way to controle the temp inside the suit. now you have a space suit that works and will keep you alive. but you could always make R2D2 to make repairs in space so you do not have to leave the ship. By the way what size would R2 be in D&D i was thinking small maybe medium like a dwarf.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-08, 10:23 AM
How do we contact the homeworld with the ship? Scrying? If I remember correctly, most of the message spells have a finite range.

Other than sorting that out, what this ship needs is a gunslinger. I totally call the dual wand wielding rogue!

Recaiden
2008-08-08, 11:35 AM
Write out a message and teleport it.

Blanks
2008-08-08, 11:42 AM
This thread just took the prize for "silliest thread to get past 4 pages"

:smallbiggrin:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-08, 11:53 AM
This thread just took the prize for "silliest thread to get past 4 pages"

:smallbiggrin:Ahem. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80704)words

Irreverent Fool
2008-08-08, 12:14 PM
Oh, I've got it.

Shrink Item. It reduces mass by a factor of 4,000. Well 40 cubic feet of steel weighs 19,602 pounds (and can be stored in a portable hole). Conservation of motion means that making one of those go big will reduce our speed.

Now whether or not it will reduce it enough is something I can figure out after dinner.

Shrink Item doesn't work on magical objects or items of more than "2 cu. ft./level".

Also, catgirls.

Ahem. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80704)words

Aww. It closed?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-08, 12:47 PM
Shrink Item doesn't work on magical objects or items of more than "2 cu. ft./level".That only means it needs a 20th CL Shrink Item.
Aww. It closed?Got too long, it can be re-started if Giacomo so desires, but back to the topic.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 01:46 PM
Shrink Item doesn't work on magical objects or items of more than "2 cu. ft./level".

Also, catgirls.
I never said to use it on magical objects.

Worira
2008-08-08, 02:16 PM
For defenses, if you could somehow pump the ship's Dex to 25 and Wis to 19, you could take Infinite Deflection, Exceptional Deflection, and Reflect Arrows to bounce any ranged attack that require attack rolls back at the attacker.

Another attack that could be used is telekinesis. If you built a trap/item and had the ship use it, you could fire 15 colossal returning adamantine warmaces for 120d6 damage if they all hit. If you don't want to worry about ammo, you could use clubs instead, although they'd only do 60d6 total. This could also be used as a weak tractor beam, or for the combat maneuver option.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 02:24 PM
TK is already included. As for the weapons, the factory can produce them.

Shields though, we could go with Timeless Body, which would take the ships standard action every round to keep up (no attacking and shielding at the same time) but would provide complete immunity to everything.

Oh yeah, the escape pods/stasis chambers are done. Temporal Stasis + a Craft Contingent Spell greater dispel magic. You could drift out in the void for a million years before being found and come out just fine.

The other option was Crystallize but that doesn't keep you safe, just in stasis.

Worira
2008-08-08, 02:36 PM
Where was TK mentioned before? I missed it.

Also, for style purposes, I like vats of quintessence as stasis chambers. They'd also make good ammo for TK.

Adumbration
2008-08-08, 02:41 PM
Where was TK mentioned before? I missed it.

Also, for style purposes, I like vats of quintessence as stasis chambers. They'd also make good ammo for TK.

Another good option might be the Sequester spell - the description says that the target is effectively in a state of suspended animation, which implies that no time passes for them.

Could also work for a century ship - set the ship on a high velocity course, and cast Sequester on it.

Jayngfet
2008-08-08, 03:25 PM
That doesn't seem to be the type of golem a mission endorsed by the gods would use, particularly when talking to locals. What with the floating and the bonyness and the effort. Got another choice? I could custom homebrew a construct if you wanted.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 04:09 PM
That doesn't seem to be the type of golem a mission endorsed by the gods would use, particularly when talking to locals. What with the floating and the bonyness and the effort. Got another choice? I could custom homebrew a construct if you wanted.

Flavor doesn't matter, taht is easy to change. Do you have a problem with the stats?

Jayngfet
2008-08-08, 04:24 PM
Flavor doesn't matter, taht is easy to change. Do you have a problem with the stats?

I don't thing the negative pulse wave makes much sense in this context.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 04:32 PM
I don't thing the negative pulse wave makes much sense in this context.

It's an anti-matter wave.

Jayngfet
2008-08-08, 04:39 PM
It's an anti-matter wave.

Still, I don't think that's a good idea, the captain, builders, and everyone around you won't think it a good idea to arm a being that has a completely alien mindset(no glands or conventional organs) with almost double the speed of half the crew, perfect flight, and the ability to almost defiantly kill anyone withing 40 feet.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 04:49 PM
Still, I don't think that's a good idea, the captain, builders, and everyone around you won't think it a good idea to arm a being that has a completely alien mindset(no glands or conventional organs) with almost double the speed of half the crew, perfect flight, and the ability to almost defiantly kill anyone withing 40 feet.

They are arming a ship. The golem is just an extension of the ship. And why do they care about positive or negative energy? Shadesteel Golems aren't good or evil, neither is positive or negative energy. The reason I want them is because they make the most sense for a space ship.

Jayngfet
2008-08-08, 05:02 PM
Alright, you've convinced me, but you'll still need to change the look a bit, if you want to go along for more than ship battles that means at least some diplomacy, which a floating skeleton made of metal doesn't seem to be the best option for.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 05:07 PM
Seeing as it can't even speak, I think intimidate would be a much better choice. :smallbiggrin: Communication with the party will be handled with the telepathic bonds.

Now I will have ranks in diplomacy, they just won't be usable as the golem.

Fizban
2008-08-08, 07:34 PM
Believe me, I already am getting magic items ridiculously cheap (immovable wondrous architecture is Spell Level x Caster Level x 500).

I know it's cheap, I've got the guide in fact, but I think spell turrets were cheaper still. If I could just figure out which book...

Re: EVA (extra-vehicular-activity): why bother with cumberous fullplate and bottle contraptions when you can just wear a Necklace of Adaptation for 9k? I'm sure the cost for sealing the fullplate will be more than the 250g difference between the necklace and the plate+bottle.

Edit: Aha, it was DMG2. Can't seem to find pricing rules, but since the only factors are level and CL, you can extrapolate from the examples. Range is limited to 120 feet, but it fires automatically and sees with true seeing, and 9th level spells cost around 75k. There's a break every 5 rounds while it heals itself, but other than that it's constant on any enemy.

Edit 2 at \/: someone above, didn't bother to mult-quote him.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 07:37 PM
Who ever said to use fullplate?

Jayngfet
2008-08-08, 08:26 PM
Seeing as it can't even speak, I think intimidate would be a much better choice. :smallbiggrin: Communication with the party will be handled with the telepathic bonds.

Now I will have ranks in diplomacy, they just won't be usable as the golem.

I was going to suggest a tongues spell, but gods not so subtle message of breaking my computer beyond repair, followed by the cable, and an mp3 player plus a TV made me reconsider.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-08, 08:28 PM
I was going to suggest a tongues spell, but gods not so subtle message of breaking my computer beyond repair, followed by the cable, and an mp3 player plus a TV made me reconsider.:smalleek:

I expect your day so far has been fun.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 08:37 PM
Oh, the ship can speak. It's just the golem that can't.

Enlong
2008-08-08, 09:24 PM
How about facilitating space-walks? Any way to make space-suits?

Also, Tippy, if you're the ship, can I be the Artificer who made the ship?

Collin152
2008-08-08, 09:24 PM

Necklace of Adaptation?

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 09:27 PM

Also, Tippy, if you're the ship, can I be the Artificer who made the ship?

Sure.

And a necklace of adaption and some energy resistance is all you need to survive in space.

Enlong
2008-08-08, 09:28 PM
Necklace of Adaptation?
*facesmack* And I play with a character who uses that for everything. It's perfect. A space-suit without the suit. I would suggest having stores of Sovereign Glue and Universal Solvent to make sure that the necklaces stay on, though.

Edit:
Why do you need Energy Resistance in space again?

How about a way to retrieve people if they end up drifting away? I'm sure there's an obvious spell, but indulge me.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 09:30 PM
A Telekensis Spell. The ship has at will TK and TK sphere.

Enlong
2008-08-08, 09:36 PM
Perfect.

Let's see. We've got gravity, toilets, food, water, space-"suits", shields, blasters, scrying shields, an AI, a propulsion system (we're still using the Decanters, right?) Telekenisis, "Main Screen Turn on"...

Are we missing anything?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-08, 09:42 PM
A way to board/avoid being boarded. I'm thinking Teleport and Dimension Lock. We also need a medbay. I'm playing a Healer/Buffer/Divine Caster of some sort, but a few items would really help with my spell slots.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 09:45 PM
I have a medbay done. Boarding will be handled through a phase door (or teleportation). I would post all the stuff but it's on a different computer, maybe later tonight.

Enlong
2008-08-08, 09:50 PM
Does this medbay have a few Eternal Wands of Cure X Wounds on hand? Perhaps some scrolls of Cure Disease, Remove Curse, ETC.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-08, 09:52 PM
We need probes, a way to communicate with our home planet, and an exercize room.

Edit: Library and a way to relax, plus any masterwork tools that take up more space than just 1 pound.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 09:58 PM
Most of the things in the scrying section of the SRD are in there.

As for the med bay, it has a cloning lab, and a psionic revivify bed (if you can get there quick enough after death). Stasis chambers, a greater restoration bed, and healing chambers. The healing chambers heal 1 point per minute (could have made it faster but this seems more thematic).

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-08, 10:05 PM
Also, should we have a non-teleport based transportation system? I'm just thinking of opponents that are Dimension Locked and have hostages.

Edit: What are we using for in-combat propulsion? I think the Decanters will probably be too slow for maneuverability.

dyslexicfaser
2008-08-08, 10:09 PM
Don't forget the Superior Invisibility. Would TK suffice for a tractor beam? Never know when you might want to bring something aboard against its will.

Enlong
2008-08-08, 10:10 PM
Also, should we have a non-teleport based transportation system? I'm just thinking of opponents that are Dimension Locked and have hostages.

Edit: What are we using for in-combat propulsion? I think the Decanters will probably be too slow for maneuverability.

Eternal Wands of Fly? 60 feet per round is... wait. You mean the Ship?
Uhh... Idunno. Teleport or Dimdoor still kinda works.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 10:11 PM
Yeah, TK works as a tractor beam. And we have a 60 foot fly speed (in addition to the decanters).

Enlong
2008-08-08, 10:15 PM
Do we have anything for interplanar travel? 'm just trying to think of anything that we actually don't have.

Also, now that I've suggested myself as the Artificer who made this thing, I must ask: how much would it actually cost to create the ship in the first place? I understand that a bunch of the traps, medbeds, etc. wouldn't be included in the cost, but I'm a bit confused as to the actual cost in the first place.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-08, 10:17 PM
Anti-intruder system? We all have Necklaces of Adaptation, so just Tippy venting the Atmo should be enough, but he probably needs an internal surveilance system, too.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 10:20 PM
It depends on the price of adamantine. Whatever the price of 125 tons of that stuff is. Crafting it is easy and free, the raw materials are what get you. After that your looking at about 200K for the teleport engine and AI. Another 4.5 million for the decanters.

Collin152
2008-08-08, 10:21 PM
but he probably needs an internal surveilance system, too.

Alarm, maybe?

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 10:24 PM
Already have the internal surveillance covered. Ubiquitous vision + Touch Sight+ some other stuff.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-08, 10:31 PM
Already have the internal surveillance covered. Ubiquitous vision + Touch Sight+ some other stuff.As long as you don't go HAL on us. I'd really hate having to Disjoin the only thing keeping us alive.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 10:33 PM
Haha. I don't plan on it.

Enlong
2008-08-08, 10:39 PM
Ooh. Ouch. That's a lot. I don't actually know the flat cost of Adamantine. Just cost modifiers for armor and weapons and stuff. But still...
What level would we be t to have the right kind of money for the ship?

Edit: Don't go GLaDOS on us either.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 10:42 PM
Ooh. Ouch. That's a lot. I don't actually know the flat cost of Adamantine. Just cost modifiers for armor and weapons and stuff. But still...
What level would we be t to have the right kind of money for the ship?
Oh, you can do it by level 30 WBL.

If you don't have the decanters it's significantly cheaper. I might actually do the engine slightly differently (same basic design just different way to reduce cost).

EDIT: If you go with a single item that produces the same amount of water as the Decanters then the cost is 1,875,000 instead.
END EDIT

Edit: Don't go GLaDOS on us either.
GLaDOS?

Enlong
2008-08-08, 10:49 PM
Oh, you can do it by level 30 WBL.

If you don't have the decanters it's significantly cheaper. I might actually do the engine slightly differently (same basic design just different way to reduce cost).

Level 30 huh? I guess it's to be expected. Only the most epic of parties would have a frotzing space-ship:smallbiggrin:. Just give me the numbers when it's ready. We may need to pool some resources, perhaps.

GLaDOS?

Perhaps one of the best insane AIs ever. The main villian of Portal (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Portal). And she's totally awesome.

Edited for better link.

Edit2.0: The mega decanter sounds like an awesome engine. And impressive, too.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-08, 11:58 PM
We don't actually have to buy the ship (at least I hope not).

Enlong
2008-08-09, 12:26 AM
Ah, I see..

Do you mean that we're a lower-level party on an epic-level ship? Or that we'd craft the ship, which would cut the cost considerably?

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-09, 12:30 AM
Ah, I see..

Do you mean that we're a lower-level party on an epic-level ship? Or that we'd craft the ship, which would cut the cost considerably?

According to what I've heard from the DM we would be a lower level party (about level 10) on the epic level ship. But the ship would only get involved with on the ground quests in extreme circumstances, most of the ground quests will be done as the golem.

Enlong
2008-08-09, 09:38 AM
Hmmm. OK. Then perhaps I wouldn't be the artificer who made the ship, but the artificer who helps maintain it. Perhaps the one who made the ship is my mentor, or somesuch.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-09, 10:00 AM
Perhaps the artificer who found the ship?

Enlong
2008-08-09, 10:01 AM
*snap* Perfect. Makes for a nice start to an adventure, too.

Blanks
2008-08-09, 10:35 AM
Still taking suggestions from people not in the campaign?
(perhaps this thread should be moved to play area btw?)

You guys need a holodeck - some sort of permanencied high level illusion (as a trap?) where you can intentionally fail your saving throw. Forget the library and bring on the nymphs! :smallbiggrin:

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-09, 11:04 AM
We have one, multiple ones actually (thanks to permanent image and persistent image).

Although we could go with a Microcosm like one, puts you in a world of your own devising.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-09, 01:08 PM
I'm liking this ship more and more. This will be great fun! :smallbiggrin:

Btw: does the ship actually have to be adamantine? For cost reasons we could probably go with really thick steel with a lead coating.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-09, 05:03 PM
Well we want it as strong as possible. And cost wise its still dirt cheap. Were talking an interstellar space ship (and intergalatic) for about 10.1 billion total. Thats less than NASA spent to get to the moon, much less.

And we could (if were were willing to pay the upfront costs) amortize that cost down to maybe 10-20 million a ship (we would just have to pay 1 trillion in upfront costs but then we would never have to worry about adamantine again).

Selrahc
2008-08-09, 05:13 PM
So how vulnerable would this thing be to dispels? Or attack by enemies?

I mean the way I would beat this ship at the moment, would be to teleport in, steal the bottles of air, and teleport away. Preferably while the ship was in deep enough space not to just teleport home. But even so.. if you're in a battle, with a ship which costs several billion gold pieces, and you can force it to land just by teleporting a good level rogue in...

Probably doesn't work.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-09, 05:19 PM
So how vulnerable would this thing be to dispels? Or attack by enemies?

I mean the way I would beat this ship at the moment, would be to teleport in, steal the bottles of air, and teleport away. Preferably while the ship was in deep enough space not to just teleport home. But even so.. if you're in a battle, with a ship which costs several billion gold pieces, and you can force it to land just by teleporting a good level rogue in...

Probably doesn't work.2 problems with that strategy. First, we are probably Dimension Locked. Second, the Bottles of Air are only a backup for the Wondrous Architecture. One of the features he's included is "constantly fresh air".

Though I wouldn't mind including some counterspelling in case of Disjunction. Just in case.

dyslexicfaser
2008-08-09, 05:27 PM
Personally, I'd like to try a campaign where the entire group is made up of artificers, who combine their powers (with legendary and extraordinary artisan to shave 25% of the gold and xp off the top) to create this sucker.

But enough about that.

Where's Wondrous Architecture from, anyhow? Planar Handbook? It sounds neat.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-09, 05:28 PM
Where's Wondrous Architecture from, anyhow? Planar Handbook? It sounds neat.Stronghold Builder's Guide. Every group needs a copy. One of the best supplements out there, IMHO.

dyslexicfaser
2008-08-09, 05:32 PM
Awesome - I have that one, but obviously I didn't look through it closely enough.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-09, 05:38 PM
2 problems with that strategy. First, we are probably Dimension Locked. Second, the Bottles of Air are only a backup for the Wondrous Architecture. One of the features he's included is "constantly fresh air".

Though I wouldn't mind including some counterspelling in case of Disjunction. Just in case.

Yeah, disjunction is a pain. But luckily the ship can counterspell (thank you wizard or psion levels). And the enemy also has to get within about 60 feet to his us with a disjunction. And that would just take out he AI, which means you activate the back-up. It wouldn't effect anything inside the ship (no LoE).

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-09, 05:41 PM
So, are there any crew operated weapons, or is it all run by the ship?

Mortith
2008-08-09, 05:50 PM
U should use plants to recycle air, so bring a druid along. :smallsmile:

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-09, 05:56 PM
One of the magic rooms takes care of the fresh air.

Edit: A druid might be nice to have along anyway

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-09, 05:58 PM
Yeah, disjunction is a pain. But luckily the ship can counterspell (thank you wizard or psion levels). And the enemy also has to get within about 60 feet to his us with a disjunction. And that would just take out he AI, which means you activate the back-up. It wouldn't effect anything inside the ship (no LoE).How are you casting? Silent/Still?

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-09, 06:18 PM
How are you casting? Silent/Still?

The ship doesn't need either. Especially not if it's a Psion (which seems more likely at the moment). A creature with levels in wizard or sorcerer can always cast their spells in their natural form, a tiger does tail twitches instead of finger movements for instance.

Selrahc
2008-08-10, 09:15 AM
So what about anti magic fields? Or more specifically, AMF ship to ship missiles. A magic item projecting an Anti Magic Field shot at an enemy ship from long ranges. I assume that takes care of the wondrous architecture too?

fractic
2008-08-10, 09:19 AM
anti magic fields are pathetically small compared to a collosal space ship.

Selrahc
2008-08-10, 09:22 AM
And?

Target the right places, and shoot a lot of them.

It would cost a lot, but you could probably recoup that by looting the crippled space ship.

fractic
2008-08-10, 09:24 AM
Even if you can make your projectiles stick or embed on the space ship it will only affect the outer hull. If the shield is 15 feet away from the outer hull it wouldn't affect the shield.

Selrahc
2008-08-10, 09:32 AM
So when designing the ship you need to put the shield fifteen feet from the hull. Put the engine room fifteen feet inside the ship, from all sides. Abandon all external systems(Such as weapons). Get ready to plummet like a stone if your wings get shot out in atmosphere(Thats still how the ship flies yeah?).

Seems llike using anti magic field torpedos isn't that bad as a weapon. At the least it imposes some design restraints on builders, and means only ships above a certain size are safe.

fractic
2008-08-10, 09:33 AM
Also launching antimagic missiles with any accuracy is very hard because you can't use magic to do it.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-08-10, 12:04 PM
Uh, Tippy? Am I seeing 18HD on that Shadesteel Golem? What level is this party going to be?

Mushroom Ninja
2008-08-10, 12:17 PM
Uh, Tippy? Am I seeing 18HD on that Shadesteel Golem? What level is this party going to be?

I had thought we were looking at Level 10, but I'm not certain.

Emperor Tippy
2008-08-10, 05:09 PM

Which one? The CR 10 one? Yeah. But it doesn't get any class levels or anything not in its description. Party is going to be about level 10 based on what the GM has told me.

Jayngfet
2008-08-10, 06:58 PM
Well, now that I have a new PC and a connection I can take any questions. I'll start a new thread in the recruitment now and link it here.

EDIT: Here it is (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4686062#post4686062).

Kami2awa
2008-08-11, 07:29 AM

Thats easy; make it cylindrical, and spin it. That sets a minimum size of about 100 metre diameter for the cylinder to avoid severe dizziness* (since the gravity at your head cannot be too different to that at your feet, otherwise blood circulation will be screwed up), but thats not such a problem for characters with this kind of resources.

The spin can be achieved a number of ways. If the ship has a mechanical axle down its centre, then the animated ship can just be commanded to spin the axle, and the reaction to the force will spin the body of the ship in the other direction. The efficiency of this depends on the relative mass of the axle and ship and the speed of rotation of the axle, but in theory it can spin as fast as you like, and you can always attach a big counterweight to increase its mass.

*Most rotating ships in SF are too small to work; the most practical would seem to be the wheel-shaped space station in 2001: Space Oddysey. If a cylinder is impractical, u can can have 2 environments connected by a thin 100m cable, and spin them around the centre of the cable.

quick_comment
2009-04-21, 06:05 PM
Rise thread! Rise and obey my will!

Anyway, some things not mentioned:

Stronghold builder's guide has a prismatic screen effect. It coats the entire outside of the ship with prismatic walls. This renders the ship virtually invulnerable, and gives it the ability to disintegrate things by ramming them. MDJ is the only thing that reliably takes it down. MDJ can be defended against by having spires jutting out from the ship with antimagic fields emanating from the tips.

The ship should be warded with greater anticipate teleport and divert teleport. If someone tries to teleport in without sending a signal (interplanar telepathic bond, scroll of sending, w/e), the ship diverts them to a special cage which is a transdimensional forcecage. Inside the cage is an antimagic field.

The ship needs back up defenses. I think a transdimensional widened prismatic sphere would be good.

For weapons, use "railguns". They are huge ballistas that fire traps shaped like bullets that have disintegrate traps on the end.

Special rounds could include MDJ rounds and born of the three thunders widened sonic maximized fireballs.

Roland St. Jude
2009-04-21, 08:39 PM
Rise thread! Rise and obey my will!...

Sheriff of Moddingham: Foul necromancy begone! (Thread necromancy is not permitted here. Please review the Forum Rules.)