PDA

View Full Version : Concerning Metallica:

Renegade Paladin
2008-08-06, 03:19 PM
We're getting to a point where heavy metal is getting to be
no laughing matter in terms of genre diversity. Rather than act as
strangers to this trend, I feel it's important that we look back
to the past to understand the impact that a band many happen to
love has had on the state of current metal. That band is Metallica.

You look back on their discography and you instantly start to
know where their seminal albums began to influence the music of
the new generation of metal bands. ...And Justice for All broke all the
rules up to that point by focusing on a hybrid of progressive rock
and the style of brutal (in a good way!) thrash that we all saw
so brilliantly executed on their first three albums. And they can
do so much more with their sound. As their riffs became catchier,
I was still continually blown away by their visceral power.

A dumb case that many older metalheads make is that they were at
full strength with Dave Mustaine in tow, prior to his leaving due to his
commitments to his new band Megadeth. This is an utter fallacy, and
what a stupid one at that. Mustaine was only with the group briefly, and
I'm not sure where people get off on making remarks like that. Their line of
thinking is silly, since Mustaine did not contribute to Metallica's method
of brilliance that was eventually seen on ...And Justice for All.

You see, the core of Metallica is Hetfield and Ulrich. Those two geniuses
wouldn't allow a drunkard like Mustaine to bring the group down. They
get that success comes from good chemistry, and they never got
this from working with Mustaine. But I digress. Most bands get inspired
from the work of Metallica much more often than from Megadeth, but in
any case, both bands have a great old-school thrash sound. This
other band though has nothing on Metallica though, and ask any "metal"
guy on the street and they'll tell you the same thing. That's that.

I want to get back to my original point. The diversity in modern metal is
just a byproduct of Metallica's mainstream success with The Black Album.
Wanna know something else? Their work with Bob Rock got them to
tell the world that they were a new voice for metal, for a new generation.
You don't truly know the impact that they had until you simply see just
how songs like "The Unforgiven" or "One" had an impact on doom metal, and
I'm guessing on the power ballad as a whole. And through it all, they kept that
feeling of domination over the world they control, rather than subserviance.

Gotta take a minute to understand? Bob Rock did not destroy them, nor
make them. He enhanced them. By producing their album,
you truly get a feel for their accessibility. Bob Rock made the band
understand that his methods of production led to instant radio success.

Never have I seen so many people badmouth such a brilliant band. I'm
gonna have to voice my displeasure at seeing so many "metalheads"
give these legends a thumbs-down simply because Metallica gave
you a more focused version of their traditional sound. I give them a thumbs
up for not conceding to the conceited demands of aging metalheads.

Never give Metallica the benefit of the doubt either. That's simply
gonna make you come across as patronizing. This band worked hard to
let themselves go off in newer, more creative directions that you see today.
You see the value of their work in modern day bands like Opeth and
Down, who emphasize the degree of complex brutality that Metallica unleashed.

Never fool yourselves into believing that Metallica has gotten soft, or I'm
gonna have to set you straight very fast. Seriously. They have not even begun to
run themselves into the ground. St. Anger, for instance, ranks up there
around second or third place in their all-time best albums. I mean it.
And in this young man's opinion, I would choose all their albums to take to the
desert, were I ever to be stranded there. Suffice it to say, it saddens me that
you guys don't actually get Metallica's brilliance. That's all I have to say.

kamikasei
2008-08-06, 03:21 PM
Uhm.

a) I like Metallica.

b) What's with the formatting?

Is this a crosspost? I feel like I've walked in in the middle of a conversation.

zeratul
2008-08-06, 03:33 PM
I love when bands go in new directions usually, and explore. Blind guardians a twist in the myth, and bodoms blooddrunk both went in new directions, and i liked them both a lot while other dire fans of theirs did not

St. Anger however sounds a lot more like a slightly hared version of nickleback than it does like real metallica. I am hoping that once they get rid of the therapist dude with the sweaters, and stop kirk from ever writing lyrics again ever, and let solos back in it will become good again if still different. Exploring is good, loosing your touch is not.

EDIT: Also I would say nowadays that as much as i like lars and Hetfield, Dave Mustaine is now as talented as them, if not more, and has removed him self from his former drunken state so you might want to get off his back 'eh?

nothingclever
2008-08-06, 03:37 PM
Lol, someone takes cruddy music a little too seriously.

Andras
2008-08-06, 03:38 PM
St. Anger, for instance, ranks up there
around second or third place in their all-time best albums. I mean it.

You lost me here.

Spiryt
2008-08-06, 03:38 PM
Yay! Mega Metallica rant.

So, I can say two things!:

1) No I'm not an old, "true" metalhead, nor the 14 years fella who bash them beacuse it's cool. However :

2) I still think that things after Black Album really weren't great. Some of them sucked plainly. The best thing they did then is Garage Revisited. Some of these covers (Mercyful Fate!) are absolutely brilliant.

St. Anger however sounds a lot more like a slightly hared version of nickleback than it does like real metallica. I am hoping that once they get rid of the therapist dude with the sweaters, and stop kirk from ever writing lyrics again ever, and let solos back in it will become good again if still different. Exploring is good, loosing your touch is not.

St.Anger was kinda fun, but it's all. I listened to it a bit, and it's OK album. However really weird, and can't be really told very good. The only exeption is I think Unnamed Feeling. Really nice track.

Those two geniuses
wouldn't allow a drunkard like Mustaine to bring the group down

Sorry, but LOL. You know about "Alcohollica" and that James was pretty much alcoholic up to 2000's years?

Coplantor
2008-08-06, 03:41 PM
When I was 14 years old the band thet Iheard the most was offspring or blink 182, then, Metallica released their "st.Anger", that was the door to a fantastic world of musical awesomness to me. I consider St.Anger their worst (but listenable) album because I like more the others, like ...And Justice for All and Ride the Lightning. So I agree with you, Renegade paladin. Of course, I miss solos, I NEED MY SOLOS! (thanks to metallica I discovered the magical world of 80's heavy metal)

Karaswanton
2008-08-06, 03:44 PM
AJFA is a great, terrific even album. It is not however as great as Puppets, or Ride the Lightning. IMO, Hetfield and Ulrich are important---but nowhere near as important as Cliff Burton was when he was part of the band.

Hit the Lights is the only Metallica album that Mustaine influenced--and it is not a good album. Mustaine was kicked out of the band prior to that album being released in fact, but he was a major influence on that particular album.

Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and AJFA are probably the best three Metallica albums. That isn't to say that the Black Album isn't a good album--it is, but it is not a great album. To date, none of the Metallica albums since ...And Justice For All have been great. And debateably, since The Black Album, none have been metal but that is neither here nor there.

And St.Anger was horrible, but thankfully it never happened, because if such a horrible album was ever truly released by a band as once great as Metallica, the universe would have ceased to exist. Since the Universe still exists, therefore, St.Anger never happened.

I think a big reason Metallica gets a lot of flack is because they changed musical styles over the years. That is an objective fact.
Now, the subjective parts is the reaction. Changing anything is anathema to hardcore fans, and metalheads tend to be very hardcore fans.

I'm not sure about how their new album will be. I'll probably download it, listen to it once, hate it, and then delete it. Probably. It might be good. But it will probably be terrible.

Whoracle
2008-08-06, 03:45 PM
Just one question before I seriously consider answering here:

What exactly do you mean when you say "modern metal"?
All contemporary metalbands, or specific styles like melodic death or metalcore?

Karaswanton
2008-08-06, 03:47 PM
Probably nu-metal, or "metalcore."

Which actually is probably another reason metalheads are angry at Metallica. The Black Album, Load and ReLoad are echoed in many nu-metal bands, and metal-heads HATE nu-metal.

Matthew
2008-08-06, 03:47 PM
Gotta like Metallica. For some reason I very closely associate them with AD&D. Probably because we were listening to the Black album while playing back in the early nineties... then there's a bunch of AD&D 2eventures named after various songs... Enter Sandman, Ride the Lightning, and, I think, Master of Puppets.

Spiryt
2008-08-06, 03:49 PM
Hit the Lights is the only Metallica album that Mustaine influenced--and it is not a good album. Mustaine was kicked out of the band prior to that album being released in fact, but he was a major influence on that particular album.

You mean "Kill'em all ", I think. It's a great album. Simple yet full of life melodies. Greeat riffs. Whoever did "Four Horsemen/Mechanix " riffs had really good day.

Karaswanton
2008-08-06, 03:55 PM
Oh, der.
I'm getting old apparently.
I'm pretty sure Mustaine wrote that one.

Coplantor
2008-08-06, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I think it was Mustaine. Great song.

This reminds me of a time when I was 8 years old, I saw an Iron Maiden poster and thought to myself "Im never going to listen heavy metal", I was a rather stupid kid.

Whoracle
2008-08-06, 04:05 PM
Well, if we're talking Metalcore and Melodeath, then the OP's statement is almost complete bull, except for a veeeery farfetched connection.

Metalcore grew from Hardcore and (melo)death, and neither was influenced by Metallica. If you look at (melo... ah, screw this...)death metal song structures and riffing, it has a lot more in common with NWOBHM bands, and hardcore comes from a completely different direction.

As for the NuMetal connection: Who can say these days, as NuMetal is alsmost as diverse as crossover was in the day, so one would have to decide on a band to band basis.

But generally, Metallica are simply overrated. Yes, they are good. They ain't great musicians and songwriters, but good ones nontheless. But they are NOT as influential as the OP makes out. In fact, the only bands that are more overrated are Slayer and Manowar...

Spiryt
2008-08-06, 04:07 PM
Indeed, no matter why, most sources claim that Mustaine is an author. Great job.

"The four horsemen " is however way better. Sounds heavier, middle riff canonade is much heavier and really sounds like hooves. Not to mention that lyrics as cheesy as they are are great. "Mechanix" lyrics are rather standard macho thing.

But generally, Metallica are simply overrated. Yes, they are good. They ain't great musicians and songwriters, but good ones nontheless. But they are NOT as influential as the OP makes out. In fact, the only bands that are more overrated are Slayer and Manowar

I would however keep saying that songs like "For whom the bell tolls", " One", "Orion", "Four horsemen" are absolute classics.

Slayer has great songs, but members can be rather irritating.

Manowar he,he... Well, I like them. I just can't do other way. Never probably really sure if they're style is serious or not, but they have style. Moreover, their songs got it too.

Karaswanton
2008-08-06, 04:08 PM
Oh, I hate Slayer.

And, yeah, Metallica is very over-rated.
I think Nirvana is probably more over-rated (but not metal).

Metallica has little influence on melodeath as a whole--although both Metallica and melodeath are very influenced by NWOBHM. Hetfield, Ulrich and Burton were all heavily influenced by NWOBHM.

Iron Maiden rules.

Karaswanton
2008-08-06, 04:13 PM
Also, I think the OP has one horribly false assertion. That we are "getting to the point where metal is diverse" specifically. Metal has always been a very diverse genre--very little of that genre gets into the public light.

Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Slayer are all very different metal bands. And these are just the well known ones. Try Witchcraft, Goatsnake, St.Vitus for more stuff like Sabbath. Try Judas Priest, Miles Beyond, Iced Earth for more stuff like Maiden. Or, for more kind of stuff like Slayer look at Testament (my personal favorite thrash band right now), Holy Moses*, Sarcafago*, or Morbid Angel.

*Holy Moses is a German Band, Sarcafago is a Brazilian band. Bet you didn't know that back in the day Germany and Brazil were strongholds of thrash. :smallwink:

zeratul
2008-08-06, 04:15 PM
I really like slayer personally.

Interesting fact, the people filming global metal have said that after going around the worlds seeing metal shows and bands and such, Iron Maiden and Slayer seem to be the most popular metal bands.

Spiryt
2008-08-06, 04:20 PM
Also, I think the OP has one horribly false assertion. That we are "getting to the point where metal is diverse" specifically. Metal has always been a very diverse genre--very little of that genre gets into the public light.

Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Slayer are all very different metal bands. And these are just the well known ones. Try Witchcraft, Goatsnake, St.Vitus for more stuff like Sabbath. Try Judas Priest, Miles Beyond, Iced Earth for more stuff like Maiden. Or, for more kind of stuff like Slayer look at Testament (my personal favorite thrash band right now), Holy Moses*, Sarcafago*, or Morbid Angel.

*Holy Moses is a German Band, Sarcafago is a Brazilian band. Bet you didn't know that back in the day Germany and Brazil were strongholds of thrash. :smallwink:

Not to mention Bathory, Carpathian Forest and other classical white face paint stuff, Mercyful Fate, Death, Blind Guardian, Venom, Vader, Saxon, Skyclad...

All different, all metal. The assumtion that metal is getting diverse now is indeed wrong.

Coplantor
2008-08-06, 04:21 PM
Iron Maiden rules.
Totally agree with that.

And, yeah, Metallica is very over-rated.
I think Nirvana is probably more over-rated (but not metal).

Of course is over rated. wich does'nt mean "bad", the reason why is over rated is because it became more popular among non metalheads, I have some friends who believe they Metallica, yet they've heard three or four songs (nothing else matters, turn the page, fuel and the unforgiven)

...In fact, the only bands that are more overrated are Slayer and Manowar...
What's the problem with manowar? (this is not an offense nor an attack, is only a question)

I would however keep saying that songs like "For whom the bell tolls", " One", "Orion", "Four horsemen" are absolute classics.
100% agree.

zeratul
2008-08-06, 04:25 PM
What's the problem with manowar? (this is not an offense nor an attack, is only a question)

They make Dragonfore look like a band of serious non poseurs . That is to say, they are incredibly cheesy, take them selves to seriously, but are really funny because of that because they're bad.:smalltongue:

Coplantor
2008-08-06, 04:29 PM
Well, it seems that i like a bad band then.

About diversity, considering that the grandparents of heavy metal are/were Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, I'd say that metal was quite diverse even at he begining of it.

EDIT: Never listened to Dragonforce, except for that song in Guitar Hero III, they sound well, although too... unoriginal?

Spiryt
2008-08-06, 04:30 PM
They make Dragonfore look like a band of serious non poseurs . That is to say, they are incredibly cheesy, take them selves to seriously, but are really funny because of that because they're bad.:smalltongue:

Well, when I first saw them I was thinking similar way.

But they're doing it from 25 years. They're damn consistent in it.

Look at it that way - many in such climates are show. They're doing their show from a quarter of age, and they're amusing at it.

And most important, many of their songs are really good.

zeratul
2008-08-06, 04:30 PM
Well, it seems that i like a bad band then.

About diversity, considering that the grandparents of heavy metal are/were Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, I'd say that metal was quite diverse even at he begining of it.

Nah there are people who like them you shouldn't feel bad about it. I just love to make fun of Manowar.

Whoracle
2008-08-06, 04:31 PM

Nothing, really, same as with Slayer and Metallica.
They are good bands (even though I personally don't like Slayer), but they get overhyped and praised like cut bread by the ZOMG!GRAETESTBANDevar!!11 fans and sellout magazines, and that's what gets me.

And specifically manowar: Their music is good, albeit pathetic to the core. They are practically trippin' cheese, and if you don't take their message literally, you can get some nice music and a very good laugh out of 'em.
Again, it's the people that take 'em seriously that unnerve me.

Coplantor
2008-08-06, 04:38 PM
Actually, I think that i've been listening to manowar since... june. I cant remeber why but one day I said to myself: "Man, I want to know more heavy metal songs", so ]I started listening to manowar, Judas Priest and Rhapsody. The last one, you must really have some big balls to name one of your songs "the forest of the unicorns"

One question here, how old is "warriors of the world?".

Spiryt
2008-08-06, 04:40 PM
One question here, how old is "warriors of the world?".

You mean the album or the song from "The triumph of steel"?

As for Rhapsody, I don't really like their music. Maybe I'll try some other time. I wanted, as indeed singing all songs about classic Never never Land, and general enchanted fantasy, as well as getting Christopher Lee into it is indeed impresive.

But their music doesn't seem so great to me.

Coplantor
2008-08-06, 04:43 PM
The song, the one with the "Brothers everywhere, raise your hands in to the air, we're warriors" part.

Spiryt
2008-08-06, 04:45 PM
The song, the one with the "Brothers everywhere, raise your hands in to the air, we're warriors" part.

It's amazing song, and it's rather new. 2002 - 2004 period, I'm pretty sure. Check Wiki. "Warriors of the world" album.

Whole album is great, certainly my fauvorite, even though one song was rather wierd too me (American Trilogy??). They generally get better with years.

Coplantor
2008-08-06, 04:52 PM
Haha, intresting. Then it means that old metal bands i like, still have something to offer, because with a exeptions (like Iron Maiden), i just dont enjoy the same way as old songs the new songs of old bands. By old I mean that they originated before the day I was born.

EDIT: Wich other songs are in that album?

Spiryt
2008-08-06, 04:59 PM
Well yes, Iron Maiden also seems to getting only awesomer with years. While in their past years, they have really many typical fillers (IMO), I can't find single weak track on "Brave New World" (maybe save Thin Line Between Love And Hate it's a bit meh). However, on the other hand Metallica....

Korn is interesting example. While it's definetly not very metal, I kinda enjoyed their old tracks. It was really visible that Davis is sincere in his "Look at me, I'm depressed " things, and music was original. And now... Well, when I've seen thing called "Twisted Transistors" I hit the wall.

EDIT: Other songs are "Call to Arms", " Hand of Doom", " Swords in the Wind" for example. Wiki REALLY exist though :smalltongue:

Renegade Paladin
2008-08-06, 05:04 PM
FYI: You have all lost the game. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU) :smallbiggrin:

SurlySeraph
2008-08-06, 05:10 PM
I love Metallica. I mostly agree with the OP, except on St. Anger. There were 3 songs on it that were decent, and the rest I strongly disliked. The real problem with St. Anger wasn't whether the songs were good or not, the problem was that it didn't sound like Metallica. It was in a different style from pretty much everything else they've ever released. St. Anger isn't terrible, it's just not what I expected from Metallica and not what I wanted to hear from them.

Having just returned from Morocco, I can say that Iron Maiden is pretty popular around the world.

Finally, on Dragonforce: So many people say that Dragonforce is overrated that they're back to being underrated again.

Coplantor
2008-08-06, 05:18 PM
Well yes, Iron Maiden also seems to getting only awesomer with years. While in their past years, they have really many typical fillers (IMO), I can't find single weak track on "Brave New World" (maybe save Thin Line Between Love And Hate it's a bit meh). However, on the other hand Metallica....

Korn is interesting example. While it's definetly not very metal, I kinda enjoyed their old tracks. It was really visible that Davis is sincere in his "Look at me, I'm depressed " things, and music was original. And now... Well, when I've seen thing called "Twisted Transistors" I hit the wall.

EDIT: Other songs are "Call to Arms", " Hand of Doom", " Swords in the Wind" for example. Wiki REALLY exist though :smalltongue:
I cant remeber twisted transistors, was it the one with the

Any way, Brave new world was the second Maiden's album I ever heard, it was enough to make me realize that I really like maiden (and, if you've read one of my previous posts, the moment that thet little kid in my head shouting "no, heavy metal is bad" was murdered by the little eddie we all carry inside).

FYI: You have all lost the game.

You realize that you just lost youe paladin status right?

EDIT:
Having just returned from Morocco, I can say that Iron Maiden is pretty popular around the world.

Well, here in Uruguay, the average people has never heard a maiden's song, people with musical knowledge and metalheads does, and there are of course, those who grew on a bubble were everything is colorful and petty, that believes that no one listens to maiden (i have this friend who, on day she told me "Hey, guess what I saw yesterday? A guy with an Iron Maiden's T-shirt, I thought you were the only one who listens to that music", the same conversation happened again with another friend abou a Metallica T-shirt).

Spiryt
2008-08-06, 05:33 PM
FYI: You have all lost the game. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU) :smallbiggrin:

Well, good thing that I haven't even tried to read whole original post :smalltongue:

Seriously though, you must be very bored.

Whoracle
2008-08-06, 06:52 PM
Finally, on Dragonforce: So many people say that Dragonforce is overrated that they're back to being underrated again.

Well, in my opinion DF aren't bad. They're awesome musicians, no question there. They're just really lousy songwriters. They basically wrote one song and duplicated it to death.

Renegade Paladin
2008-08-06, 09:45 PM
PROTIP: First word in every line. :smalltongue:

Coplantor
2008-08-06, 09:52 PM

Have you attoned yet? It dosent matter because you're a god now, am I allowed to worship you????? This is the first time I've been rick rolled.

Gaelbert
2008-08-06, 10:12 PM

Oh. My. Gosh. That is both amazing and terribly sad at the same time. How much time did that take?

Zarrexaij
2008-08-06, 11:12 PM
Well, in my opinion DF aren't bad. They're awesome musicians, no question there. They're just really lousy songwriters. They basically wrote one song and duplicated it to death.Apparently you're confusing "really fast" with "talented." :smallannoyed:

If a band has to tape their performance for concerts (because they can't play that fast outside of trying and trying again in a studio), well, it tends to look very bad in my eyes.

They're exactly what's wrong with today's metal in my opinion.

PROTIP: First word in every line.OH YOU LITTLE...

:smallfrown:

Mr. Mud
2008-08-06, 11:19 PM
I love when bands go in new directions usually, and explore. Blind guardians a twist in the myth, and bodoms blooddrunk both went in new directions, and i liked them both a lot while other dire fans of theirs did not

EDIT: Also I would say nowadays that as much as i like lars and Hetfield, Dave Mustaine is now as talented as them, if not more, and has removed him self from his former drunken state so you might want to get off his back 'eh?

Have you heard the radio single of St. Anger? That is metallica. Well, Metallica without the 'F' Bombs... which is sorta like angry nickelba--- Oh my god you're right.

And why no love for Hammet? :smallfrown:.

Hoggy
2008-08-07, 10:34 AM
You, sir, are epic. Epic, epic, epic.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-07, 10:38 AM
Whose epic? I'm epic? I'm not epic. Metallica is epic. Cheese-Wiz is epic. I sir, am not epic. :smallcool:.

Hoggy
2008-08-07, 11:30 AM
Not you, coincidental wandering plebian! Renegade Paladin.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-07, 11:32 AM
Oh duh! I think he's part demi-god.

And I'm not a Plebe! yet.*

*Anyone who gets the USNA reference, half a cookie. :smallamused:

Ned the undead
2008-08-07, 11:35 AM
Your username says it all.

valadil
2008-08-07, 11:37 AM
Honestly I think a lot of hate towards Metallica comes from people still being bitter about Napster. If Metallica didn't do it, someone else would have shut Napster down. And everyone on Napster knew what they were doing was illegal anyway. Maybe the laws need to be changed and maybe Metallica was more dickish than they needed to be, but I do believe they were in the right.

You also need to consider that a band like Metallica has been around for ~25 years and has made a lot of material. No fan is going to like all of it equally. I prefer the material up to and including the Black album. But I'm glad they're trying something else. If they were still making albums that sounded like Ride the Lightning, I'd be bored of that sound by now.

As far as Megadeth goes, Dave Mustaine has had success outside of Metallica, so there must be some creative talent there. I've also read that material recorded while he was in the band was used on later albums even after he was fired. Dave got no credit from the band for that. Because of this it's very hard to say what he actually contributed while he was there.

Regarding St. Anger, I agreed with many that it was an attempt to recapture the heaviness that Metallica once had. I enjoyed parts of it, but have a lot more love for their other albums. Honestly my biggest problem with the CD was in the title track. If they just got rid of the line "you flush it out, you flush it out" that song would have been a lot better. I actually made a remix of that song that cut that part out and IMHO was a way better song. To the OP, just out of curiosity how would you rate Metallica's albums if St. Anger really is #2 or #3?

To say that Metallica is the source of diversity in metal is to show ignorance towards metal outside the US. I think Metallica is a wonderful inpsiration for metal, but they're more of an archetype of what metal sounds like than a force influencing metal in new directions. Quite a bit of heavy metal takes place outside of the US and I'm of the opinion that most of it is better than what we produce.

Neon Knight
2008-08-07, 11:38 AM
That was absolutely genius. I laughed for a whole minute straight.

Well done, Renegade Paladin. Well done.

Ned the undead
2008-08-07, 11:39 AM

WINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWINWIN!!!!

Moff Chumley
2008-08-07, 12:04 PM
What? I didn't get that. :confused: Maybe I need to spend MORE time on the internet... :smallfrown:

Metallica isn't really that terrific. They're fun to listen to, and Master of Puppets is classic, but I'm just ticked at them because they didn't hire Les Claypool. Can you imagine how awesome Metallica+Les Claypool would be? :smallcool:

Decoy Lockbox
2008-08-08, 04:33 PM

Man, Germany had some of the best thrash bands in the 80s. Anybody here that liked the old Metallica (or slayer, megadeth, anthrax, testament, exodus, etc), has gotta check out the German "big three" of thrash: Kreator, Sodom and Destruction. All three bands are still going strong, and Sodom's last few cd's have actually been very good. Then of course there is Exumer, Vendetta, Assassin, Living Death, Coroner (from switzerland)...the list goes on and on.

It seems like there are quite a few metalheads here; maybye we should start a "metal" thread. Actually, thats probably a bad idea, because it would just devolve into people arguing about which subgenres bands are in, and people arguing whether or not certain bands are metal.

But to the OP: If I asked the average metalhead what they thought of St. Anger, and/or most of Metallica's output since the 80s, I would expect them to spit on me.

zeratul
2008-08-08, 06:07 PM
And why no love for Hammet? :smallfrown:.

I have nothing against Hammet, he's a good guitarist when he does what he does: write solos. The lyrics I saw that were written by him were really pretty bad. I still maintain however that in terms of guitar skill Dave is a superior musician.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-08, 06:15 PM
I have nothing against Hammet, he's a good guitarist when he does what he does: write solos. The lyrics I saw that were written by him were really pretty bad. I still maintain however that in terms of guitar skill Dave is a superior musician.

Eh, let Hetfield write the lyrics, Hammet will just play 'till his fingers fall off (or if he breaks the guitar after a solo, whichever is first.)... And when you think the face of Metallica, do you think lyrics, or guiar? (Or hell, even Lars on Drums?) :smallconfused:. I think Guitar...

zeratul
2008-08-08, 06:25 PM
Eh, let Hetfield write the lyrics, Hammet will just play 'till his fingers fall off (or if he breaks the guitar after a solo, whichever is first.)... And when you think the face of Metallica, do you think lyrics, or guiar? (Or hell, even Lars on Drums?) :smallconfused:. I think Guitar...

Hammett wrote some lyrics on St. anger though. I think my two favourite parts of metallica are the vocals lyrics and solos of old days metallica at least.

Renegade Paladin
2008-08-08, 06:31 PM
Just so everyone knows, the contents of the essay were not at all serious. :smalltongue: Metallica is false; they declared metal dead and went to nu metal, which is absolutely unacceptable.

Also, I listen to metal bands from all over Europe, so telling me to check them out is an exercise in redundancy. :smallwink:

Incidentally, just to make sure there's no confusion, I'm not the original author; I'm just pulling the prank.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-08, 06:35 PM
Hammett wrote some lyrics on St. anger though. I think my two favourite parts of metallica are the vocals lyrics and solos of old days metallica at least.

h fair enough... I guess Metallica has 2 main genres of their songs: Lyric-ie and and softer than their other songs, and harder, faced paced songs with a hell of a lot more guitar and percussion, but lacks in the lyrics department... And then you have those Classics like Sanitarium and Enter Sandman, that are just Plain awesome.

Renegade Paladin
2008-08-09, 02:39 PM
Relevant:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/RenegadePaladin/RickrollChart.jpg

:smallcool:

Verruckt
2008-08-09, 05:27 PM

Hey look, someone with an extremely apropos name! For me, I enjoy The Black Album most of all. Some people argue that it's "too mainstream", but this argument suggests that there is some other point to music then listening enjoyment. I don't go looking for music because of the ethics or aims of the band, I listen to it because it sounds good. If it needs to be "mainstream" or if the band "sells out" I could really care less. If Bono suddenly went on a baby strangling spree I'd still listen to U2, because Bono's aims, however admirable, have little to do with why U2 makes good, enjoyable music.

I also fail to see any merit in the argument that one form of music is any better or worse then another. As soon as you begin talking about any form of media you are inevitably entering into subjective arguments. Thus you can't truly say Metallica is crap, you can only say I hate Metallica. Reason being is no matter how hard you hate and despise something personally, that will never actively change someone else's opinion of it.

Anyway, that's where my "grr... arrgh..." falls.

Decoy Lockbox
2008-08-09, 06:29 PM
Just so everyone knows, the contents of the essay were not at all serious. :smalltongue: Metallica is false; they declared metal dead and went to nu metal, which is absolutely unacceptable.

Also, I listen to metal bands from all over Europe, so telling me to check them out is an exercise in redundancy. :smallwink:

Incidentally, just to make sure there's no confusion, I'm not the original author; I'm just pulling the prank.

Guess I failed me semi-trollery detection check.

CannibalHymn
2008-08-12, 09:31 PM
Dude, this Metallica song is so brutal! James Hetfield will never give me up or let me down!

Verruckt
2008-08-13, 03:16 PM
Dude, this Metallica song is so brutal! James Hetfield will never give me up or let me down!

Yeah, but if you use Napster Ulrich might turn around and desert you.

CannibalHymn
2008-08-13, 03:27 PM
Have you seen the naked picture of Lars? I wouldn't notice a difference.

DraPrime
2008-08-13, 03:53 PM
Well I was going to say something about Cyanide, but I'm too busy wondering why the hell a naked picture of Lars was mentioned.

CannibalHymn
2008-08-13, 03:57 PM
Oh, dear. I should've just made a joke about James' sideburns being a turn-on. I have started something that should not have begun.

DraPrime
2008-08-13, 04:08 PM
Ok, enough about the physical aspects of the bandmembers. It's far too likely to wander into "admin angering" territory. Anyway, I really liked Cyanide. It reminds me of a song from And Justice for All, but with a bit of Load/Reload influence.