PDA

View Full Version : When does my player not need to breathe and such with the Vampire progression? 3.5

celestialkin
2008-08-06, 07:01 PM
Hey,

I have a player with the Vampire template who is taking it using the racial progression rules (see below). What I am confused about is when the player becomes Undead (Deathless in this case), which means he will no longer need to do such things as breathe or eat. My campaign will be taking an aquatic seafaring turn as of the next game, so I know it will come up. Also, at what point would things such as turn undead, garlic, mirrors, and holy symbols begin being effective against him?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a

Thanks in advance for any help!

Starsinger
2008-08-06, 07:04 PM
Undeath: Upon reaching 7th level, a vampire gains the undead type, with all of its normal benefits and drawbacks

There ya go!

SoD
2008-08-06, 07:06 PM
However, I might add that, unless the base creature had a swim speed, a vampire cannot cross running water. If it did have a swim speed (mermaid, water orc, fish, etc.) it keeps it and happily crosses water to its unlifes content.

celestialkin
2008-08-06, 07:23 PM
There ya go!

Wow...:smallredface:

I don't know how many times I read that article, yet still missed that. Thank you for pointing that out.

However, I might add that, unless the base creature had a swim speed, a vampire cannot cross running water. If it did have a swim speed (mermaid, water orc, fish, etc.) it keeps it and happily crosses water to its unlifes content.

Oh! Thank you for reminding me about that. I completely forgot that. I need serious improvement as a DM.

KillianHawkeye
2008-08-06, 07:33 PM

You might have to ignore this particular rule for this campaign. (My vampires never work this way, because it's a dumb weakness.) Just say "In my world, vampires can swim all they want!"

Pie Guy
2008-08-06, 08:59 PM
don't all creatures have a swim speed?

Dragonmuncher
2008-08-06, 11:38 PM
don't all creatures have a swim speed?

Nope. As I recall, it's like a climb speed. All creatures can climb (or attempt to), but those without a climb speed need to make some sort of skill check. Swim, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/swim.htm) for instance, makes you make a check every time you wish to swim. Pass it, you can move half your speed.

Creatures with a swim speed can automatically move their speed in water without making checks, gain a +8 racial bonus to the Swim skill, can always take 10 on a swim check, and can use the run action while swimming.

Something similar applies to climbing, I believe.

only1doug
2008-08-07, 05:13 AM
if your Vampire is an arcane caster then Heart of Water (complete mage) (self only) grants a swim speed amongst its other effects.

In fact any caster on an aquatic mission would want Heart of Water.