PDA

View Full Version : Will Roy Be Resurrected? [Poll Inside]

Admiral_Kelly
2008-08-06, 08:16 PM
Vote here. (http://www.99polls.com/poll_21176)

On one hand, he has been the main character of the comic thus far. The other, it is becoming more and more unlikely in-story and it seems too easy from the plot's preservative. What are your thoughts?

Zolem
2008-08-06, 08:19 PM
I'm going with he stays dead. He becomes a semi-omnisient source of info for the party which is prevented over and over again by varios circumstances from getting him raised.

Kish
2008-08-06, 08:32 PM
My thought, is that this is a lot like a poll asking, "Will Haley get her speech back?" or, "Will Roy's sword be repaired?"

Admiral_Kelly
2008-08-06, 08:36 PM
Point taken, Kish, but the 'lost something' and 'something broke' plots have all ended in the same way - to the point of Lampshade Hanging (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0471.html). This leaves me to doubt if Burlew will end this plotline the same way again.

Jigsaw Forte
2008-08-06, 08:39 PM
My thought, is that this is a lot like a poll asking, "Will Haley get her speech back?" or, "Will Roy's sword be repaired?"

Which only makes it more likely he WON'T, seeing how Elan's already hung a fricking lampshade on the repetitive-ness of these types of plots.

I voted "Yes, but not as you know him" if only because I remember from playing a gnome druid several years back that Reincarnation is a perfectly good means of bringing a player back, albeit not in the same body.

... Now that's a thought... Where's the frickin' druids in this place?!

Zolem
2008-08-06, 08:44 PM
The forest, eating granolaand singing freaking kumbaia. Druids as preservers of nature probably aren't all that agressive.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-06, 08:46 PM
I think that the bone golem subplot is here to lead us to the rez; Roy is the cat herder of the story and without him the plot has fragmented.

From a metaperspective, OotS isn't telling the kind of story where a main character is killed. He'll come back in some fashion. "As he was" gets my vote, primarily because I don't want to see "kobold Roy" or some such.

ETA:

The forest, eating granolaand singing freaking kumbaia. Druids as preservers of nature probably aren't all that agressive.
well, there are the "aww, bunnies are cute!" druids and the Darwinian druids (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0344.html)....

An Enemy Spy
2008-08-06, 08:52 PM
Maybe when Belkar dies Roy will be reincarnated in his body. Man, wouldn't he be pissed!

SPoD
2008-08-06, 09:15 PM
Which only makes it more likely he WON'T, seeing how Elan's already hung a fricking lampshade on the repetitive-ness of these types of plots.

Unless it wasn't JUST a lampshade, it was also a subtle reassurance that Roy would return. As in, "Don't worry, folks, this might go on for a while, but I've never let you down before, have I?"

Red XIV
2008-08-06, 10:40 PM
Roy will be alive again, I'm sure of it. Maybe not as soon as many readers are hoping, maybe not even this year (real-world time, I mean, but maybe not even in-universe time either), but eventually it'll happen. He's too central to the main plot to not be involved in its conclusion.

FujinAkari
2008-08-06, 10:48 PM
He will be back. Rich himself has even said that OOTS is, at its core, Roy's story.

Connington
2008-08-06, 10:49 PM
Yeah. He'll come back. The plot needs someone to unite the Order, and to defeat Xykon. Besides, I'm getting the feeling Rich is tired of having Roy dead.

Zolem
2008-08-06, 10:59 PM
He will be back. Rich himself has even said that OOTS is, at its core, Roy's story.

So you're ruling out a more 'hands off' aproach to leadership where he organizes the others, inspires people, and trusts them to succeed despite the fact that he can't come back? Or that he might come back as a ghost-martyr; technicaly not rezed, as he's still dead....undead....*looks in Eberon Book* undieing, that's it, undieing.

Cleverdan22
2008-08-06, 11:28 PM
Nah, he's gonna come back as his old self. He has to finish off Xykon, or at least battle him one last time.

Spiky
2008-08-06, 11:42 PM
So you're ruling out a more 'hands off' aproach to leadership where he organizes the others, inspires people, and trusts them to succeed despite the fact that he can't come back?

That fits nice with some genres. But I think not the stick-figure-D&D set.

tenguro
2008-08-07, 12:07 AM
I say yes, fully raised like the day he was born. Although that does not make sense.

FujinAkari
2008-08-07, 12:08 AM
So you're ruling out a more 'hands off' aproach to leadership where he organizes the others, inspires people, and trusts them to succeed despite the fact that he can't come back? Or that he might come back as a ghost-martyr; technicaly not rezed, as he's still dead....undead....*looks in Eberon Book* undieing, that's it, undieing.

I am. Obi-Wan was sort of like that, but there is -no way- that you would ever call Star Wars "Obi-Wan's Story."

The character you describe just doesn't make a protagonist, they make a sage character who assists the protagonist (or hinders, see Eugene)

holywhippet
2008-08-07, 12:12 AM
About the only we he could not be raised is if a) His body was completely lost and they can't find a high level enough cleric to true ressurect him or b) the order had some good reason not to try and get him raised. The latter would be most likely if Haley and Celia were both killed.

Vulion
2008-08-07, 12:14 AM
Yes, I do believe he will and with his original body as well. Perhaps as soon as 600, perhaps later but it will happen.

Grokvar
2008-08-07, 01:30 AM
Roy back alive again would be cool. It's been like forever since he was.

Kato
2008-08-07, 01:57 AM
I'm pretty sure he will be raised... there's no real reason not do it, imo. Also I'd go for 600 as 'teh date'....

Niknokitueu
2008-08-07, 04:00 AM
I think he will be raised.

Rich has hinted that it will be at the end of the current 'book', ie p600.

I hope it will be a 're-affirmation' strip, where Roy ends with the statement "Right. Let's go kick Xykon's bony ass." and have the whole group in a 'hero shot' pose.

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Tundar
2008-08-07, 05:12 AM
I voted yes, fully restored.

I think we have seen most (if not all) of the jokes that can come out of the celestial world. The amount of jokes that could be gained from his ressurection is enourmous. I'm pretty sure Belkar wouldn't mind that either, he has a few issues to go over with/through Roy :)

Also, it would be great to see him and Xykon fight again.

Kaytara
2008-08-07, 05:31 AM

Apart from what FujiAkari said, there's another reason I find that unlikely. The thing is, they aren't succeeding. Roy's death has left the Order in shambles and not only do they show no sign of getting back on their feet in the near future, things have also been rapidly deteriorating. The two teams can't agree on anything amongst themselves and the two arguably most powerful members, Vaarsuvius the nuker and Belkar the DPSer, are close to incapacitated.

The Order isn't ready to stand on its own without Roy's leadership yet. Maybe something like what you described will still happen - who's to say Roy won't die a second time? - but I believe that this time, Roy will be successfully revived with no significant changes to his nature.

Zordrath
2008-08-07, 09:32 AM
I think he will, and I really hope so. The recent strips have only made it more obvious that the Order needs their straight man back, Celia with her annoying attitude just isn't cutting it.

mescaLEO
2008-08-07, 10:27 AM
I've my idea: this would be the best moment for a certain cleric ( http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0044.html ) to come back in the story arch and resurrect Roy....

Guess if this is Richard's idea... :smallsmile:

Occasional Sage
2008-08-09, 10:56 PM
I've my idea: this would be the best moment for a certain cleric ( http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0044.html ) to come back in the story arch and resurrect Roy....

Guess if this is Richard's idea... :smallsmile:

That'd fit, if Hilgya has donned the Belt of Femininity/Masculinity since we saw her last. Go back and read what Pete said, his friend is male.

CaptainIreland
2008-08-10, 12:17 PM
I am. Obi-Wan was sort of like that, but there is -no way- that you would ever call Star Wars "Obi-Wan's Story."

The character you describe just doesn't make a protagonist, they make a sage character who assists the protagonist (or hinders, see Eugene)

However Star Wars is arguably about Anakin Skywalker more than any other character, who starts as a protagonist and winds up on the other side. While not executed well, the point is there is the possibility that the main character of the story (if OOTS is "Roy's Story") is not the undisputed leader of the united group.

I imagine if Roy is raised, it will be very close to the climax, possibly raised along with every other member of the group who died (if Belkar's going down, why not everyone?) in a spectacular fashion. Though it could go any way, at this point.

Zolem
2008-08-10, 12:34 PM
That'd fit, if Hilgya has donned the Belt of Femininity/Masculinity since we saw her last. Go back and read what Pete said, his friend is male.

*facepalm* Childhood friend from when he could see. This has been discused to death, we decided that the only way she could come back now is as an asistant at the temple.

Warren Dew
2008-08-10, 01:08 PM

Um ... Eugene has saved the party twice, first with his prophecy, and second with his judgement (granted that was in league with Shojo). He snipes at Roy all the time, yes, but when push comes to shove, he's still on Roy's side.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-08-10, 08:35 PM
*facepalm* Childhood friend from when he could see. This has been discused to death, we decided that the only way she could come back now is as an asistant at the temple.

Assistant, travelling cleric, poker buddy... Hilgya has more than one way of showing up at the Greysky City Temple of Loki.

Personally I think
She'll be taking advantage of the Temple's OB/GYN services, since I'm quite sure the rather innocent Durkon doesn't (or didn't) travel around with a "Dwarven Defender" in his wallet.
:smallwink: