PDA

View Full Version : NFL time. Booya!!!

An Enemy Spy
2008-08-06, 08:38 PM
Its been quite a while since SBXLII and the Patriot's imperfect season but at long last football is finally back! So just post here to talk about about the game, Brag about your team, or even just ask how to play.

PS: Go Seahawks!

tape_measure
2008-08-06, 08:45 PM
bah! Seahawks...picking up my 'Boys left overs. :smallbiggrin:

On a serious note, I do hope Jones does much better in Seatle than he did in Dallas. Not that he was terrible, just inconsistent; nad oyu just can' t have inconsistency at running back. No sir.

An Enemy Spy
2008-08-06, 08:48 PM
bah! Seahawks...picking up my 'Boys left overs. :smallbiggrin:

Ha! As if Ken Hamlin wasn't our leftovers
And no offense but Marion Barber is gonna get a face full of Lofa Tatupu this year

Midnight Son
2008-08-06, 10:22 PM
Ummmm...Go Dolphins?

ForzaFiori
2008-08-06, 10:37 PM
GO PANTHERS!

lets see if they can finally stop screwing around and get a real good season in. Preferably without injuries.

RTGoodman
2008-08-06, 10:47 PM
GO PANTHERS!

I concur, my good sir. Gotta root for my home-town (er, home-state) team!

(Also, since half of my family is from the Boston area, I guess I'll throw in a hereditary "Go Pats!" too. :smalltongue:)

de-trick
2008-08-06, 10:50 PM
im more into the CFL, sorry Canadian

Go Bombers

Mr. Mud
2008-08-06, 10:50 PM
AH! No time to be on GitP, I have to be worrying about my Packer's and Farve!! (whom I think should Play another season, groom Rodgers up a bit more, then retire. For good.

GOOOOO PACKERS!

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-07, 01:48 AM
ah the packers, a wise choice.

a poor choice would be to say GO JAGS. Sadly i'm continuing to make such an unwise choice, and have done so for over a decade now. Why do i keep doing it to myself... simple - for the satisfaction gained when we trounce the titans again. Now give me 5 years and it might finally happen again *d4 palmface damage*

Shadow
2008-08-07, 01:50 AM
AH! No time to be on GitP, I have to be worrying about my Packer's and Farve!! (whom I think should Play another season, groom Rodgers up a bit more, then retire. For good.

GOOOOO PACKERS!

I hate you. And I hate the Pack :smallwink:
But you do get to watch Favre wear green again this year!
in a Jets' uniform.... *smirks*

My Bears are really going to suck this year. Even worse than last year, possibly....
I'm just enjoying my Cubbies for now! :smallbiggrin:

shadowxknight
2008-08-07, 01:53 AM
Go CHARGERS!!
This is going to be the year.
The year that the Chargers finally win the Superbowl.

Well, either Chargers or Colts.
Pretty much anyone except Patriots :smallfurious:

Em Blackleaf
2008-08-07, 02:24 AM
Go Dodgers.
*Cough*
:tongue:

Uh... Go Vikings!

Yes. My uncle is the scout for the Minnesota Vikings. So I must like them. :smallwink:

Or, I could just go with high school football, and say Go Lancers!
(Yes, Lancers are my school's mascot, shut up... >.>)

Tormsskull
2008-08-07, 08:52 AM
I'm a 49ers Fan, so I haven't had much to be excited about recently, though there does look to be an interesting quarterback challenge going on. Hmmm....

In other news, I got a 52" LCD TV recently and now I am trying to cough up the cash for Directv & the NFL package. If it all goes through, I expect much rejoycing and many Sunday visits from friends.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-07, 09:03 AM
Go CHARGERS!!
This is going to be the year.
The year that the Chargers finally win the Superbowl.

Well, either Chargers or Colts.
Pretty much anyone except Patriots :smallfurious:

AMEN!!!! (except on the Colts Thing... I hate the Pats.)

EDIT: And if you think its weird I'm not talking about Farve's move, Its because I'm slowly dying on the inside.

:sigh:

Telonius
2008-08-07, 09:07 AM
Hail to the Redskins! Well, Gibbs may be gone, but at least we still have a quarterback controversy. :smallbiggrin:

skywalker
2008-08-07, 10:57 AM
Go Lancers!
(Yes, Lancers are my school's mascot, shut up... >.>)

Lancers are a pretty cool mascot in my book.

I am a Manning brothers fan. So go Colts/Giants. Get well soon Peyton. Funny little anecdote about Peyton Manning. He is the only NFL QB I know of who doesn't wear one of those play-book wristbands. This is because the plays the Colts run spring directly from his head, and are transmitted psychically to his receivers and linemen as he receives the snap.

Ok, I may have made that last bit up.

I also gotta root for the Titans, cuz they're my state team.

An Enemy Spy
2008-08-07, 11:08 AM
Speaking of high school mascots, the Seahawks are actually named after mine

Mr. Mud
2008-08-07, 11:12 AM
Hail to the Redskins! Well, Gibbs may be gone, but at least we still have a quarterback controversy. :smallbiggrin:

Oh definately! What else would I watch on my local news* :smallconfused:?

Seriously though, Todd Colins should've been, and should be looked into a lot more. He did great with what he had to work with.

*Only near DC, not in it... so I get to watch the raven's QB drama too -_-.

rollfrenzy
2008-08-07, 12:09 PM
Here we go STEELERS!!! HERE WE GO!!!

I will be happy as long as the New England cheaters Rats patriots fall off the face of the earth.

Also Just signed up for Sunday Ticket so all the football I can watch and more!!

Shadow
2008-08-07, 12:18 PM
Personally, I've never understood why everyone's so upset about the whole 'Spygate' bull. I understand being upset, but the amount of ire this has invoked is not proportionate to the level of the infraction.
Every team's done things similar at some point. They just got caught this time.

Example: You know how coaches always cover their mouths when they're calling in the plays? Well, they do that because Green Bay used to have a deaf lip-reader in the owners box with a pair of high powered binoculars. Guess what he was watching for?
Same exact thing people! But that was even worse in my opinion! Pats were taping signals for study, GB was learning the exact play that they were going to run at that moment and calling it down in real time! It was even worse than all of this.
But what happened to them? Nothing.

They've all done things like this. The Pats just got caught.
Let's move on, shall we? That's my opinion anyway.

PhoeKun
2008-08-07, 12:26 PM
I will be happy as long as the New England cheaters Rats patriots fall off the face of the earth.

...Why? Why is the necessary?

No, seriously. It's not as though it's not ok to root against a team, especially one that's supposed to have a rivalry with yours. But where in the name of heck did all this vitriol for the Pats come from? :smallconfused: Do you people have any idea what it's like to be a Pats fan, and have been one?

I have cheered for a team that flat-out sucked my entire life, and who prior to the new millenium accomplished little beyond losing to Brett Favre in the Super Bowl. What a year that was. The team has been irrelevant my entire life. I've finally got a team that rewards my faith in them, and all of a sudden, it's not ok to like them. All of a sudden, they're Evil.

It's not about Spygate. It was never about Spygate. The venom came before Spygate, and (I hasten to add) a perfect regular season happened after Spygate. Is there a particular reason they can't just be a good team that you'd like to see your team beat?

It's just... gah. I'm tired of "us against the world". I just want to enjoy having a good team. I grew up rooting for Boston in an era when there was nothing to cheer about, no matter what sport you watched. Victory is fleeting. Please, just let me enjoy this while it lasts, I beg of you.

Shadow
2008-08-07, 12:35 PM
Phoe-
You have my support. They've been an amazing team for the past few years.
Period.

And I've been saying for years, as well, that Tom Brady is the best "clutch" quarterback in the game.
Period.

People just want something to complain about, so that their teams don't seem so inferior when compared to such a quality team.

And all this coming from a Bears' fan, so....

shadowxknight
2008-08-07, 01:13 PM
Well I'm not sure why anyone hates them before, but Bill Belichick leaving the Superbowl early shows poor sportsmanship.

Hmmm actually I think there was an article on Yahoo sports about why they're so hated...Let me try to dig it up.

rankrath
2008-08-07, 01:22 PM
BROWNS FTW!

we're going all the way this year, building off last year and bringing home the trophy.

Shadow
2008-08-07, 01:49 PM
Well I'm not sure why anyone hates them before, but Bill Belichick leaving the Superbowl early shows poor sportsmanship.
Quoted for TRUTH!

But he's always been a sore loser. Always. That shouldn't reflect on the team as a whole, but on Bill alone.

tape_measure
2008-08-07, 02:23 PM
Have you ever had anythign stolen from you? The contempt for the theif is unbelievable, really. The shame, the foolishness, the inconcievable thought that you just had the wool pulled over your eyes...

There are a lot of reasons to hate the Patriots. Many people jumped on their band wagon early in the year before the notion of a perfect season was even a wet dream for Tom Brady. Hell, I was pretty impressed that they drove (then backed up and drove over again) the Cowboys he way they did. I think it's safe to say that we, as fans, feel cheated. :smallannoyed:

Shadow
2008-08-07, 02:36 PM
I have been robbed. My place was broken into a few years back. That's neither here nor there.

But this isn't anywhere near the first time that something like this has happened, nor is it anywhere near the worst that has been done.
And yet everyone is acting as if the entire team should be sent straight to hell, do not pass go, do not collect your Conference Championship.

As a former football player, and as a former football COACH, I can tell you that what little information they gleaned from photos didn't do much, if anything, in helping them win. If they were granted any advantage at all from said photos, it was fleeting, it was extremely minor, and it needed to be acted on within seconds which is obviously hard to do when you consider the chain that the information had to run through before even getting TO the players that needed to react to it.

Even without all this Spygate hype, they were and still remain a powerhouse within the league.

And I'll repeat, I'm not even a Pats fan. This is just the simple truth.
Think about it. How many of the coaches were truly upset about it? It was all about the fans and the league. The coaches, as a whole, didn't seem to care much because they knew how little impact all of this really has.

ForzaFiori
2008-08-07, 03:37 PM
personally, I don't hate the pats cause of spygate. I am just still harboring a grudge from when they beat the panthers in the superbowl so long ago. You know, back when the panthers could actually make it that far.

Trog
2008-08-07, 03:46 PM
*pulling back shot from above*

:furious: FFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVRE!!!!!!

:smallsigh:

androgial
2008-08-07, 03:48 PM
my team sucks my team sucks my team sucks and we will every game until proven otherwise just like every other team they all suck some just suck worse than others. im not afraid to admit it. die hard chargers fan my team sucks my team sucks my team sucks.

Emperor Ing
2008-08-07, 04:21 PM
*sigh* the Bears really could've used Favre. If we had at least a halfway competent QB (and Cedrick Benson back), we'd go 19-0 faster than you can say "patriots trademark" :smallwink:

An Enemy Spy
2008-08-07, 04:30 PM
The Hawks could have gotten him back when he was a rookie but instead they got some loser nobody remembers.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-07, 04:50 PM
*sigh* the Bears really could've used Favre.:smallwink:

Yay! My boy farve is respected by divie rivals now he's gone... wait I think thats bad. And who couldn't use him? I can think of maybe, 10 teams that don't if that many.

:sigh: I guess I'll be following the Jets a little closer this season... Anyone have a hanky :smallfrown:?

adanedhel9
2008-08-07, 05:16 PM
Hurm, all I have to look forward to is another mediocre season... which should be enough to win the NFC North this year.

So, um, DON'T FAIL, VIKES!

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-07, 05:22 PM
three cheers for everyone who supports an average or sub-par team!

EmeraldRose
2008-08-07, 07:15 PM
Currently watching New Orleans score on Arizona in the first. :smallamused: Now if only they can hold it together, and maybe actually get Reggie Bush to remember how to play for the rest of the year :smallannoyed: *wishes Deuce was still in*

shadowxknight
2008-08-07, 07:36 PM
Reggie Bush.
He is my favorite college football player. Ever.
He's just so damn fun to watch, whenever he gets the ball you get the feeling that something big might happen.
Then he went to the NFL and has been...mediocre.

I hope that he's just getting used to the faster pace of the game, and will eventually return to his former glories :smallfrown:

EmeraldRose
2008-08-07, 07:39 PM
Tell me about it! He's been a huge disappointment. :smallannoyed:

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-08-07, 07:49 PM
Personally, I think it's still too early to think about football yet. There's still two months left in the baseball season, and with some of the division races being really close, and are shaping up an exciting close to the regular season.

But, I am relative excited about the Vikings for the first time in a very long time. With the addition of Berrian, along with Rice, they should finally have a decent receiving tandem, the RB duo of AP and Taylor should be one of the top in the league, and with the addition of Allen, the defensive line is easily the best in the NFL. Although losing Udeze to Leukemia for the season does hurt, and there's a serious issue staring us in the face at QB. I personally don't think Tavaris Jackson will cut it. I do hope Booty gets into a few games this year, and think he will likely be the future QB.

Although

So, um, DON'T FAIL, VIKES!

That's a pretty tall order seeing as we have a very below average QB, and an arrogant incompetent coach who's playbook is as boring watching paint dry they could easily fall flat on their face again this year. But, as the addage goes, you can't coach talent, so maybe they uber talent this team has can carry them.

EmeraldRose
2008-08-07, 07:52 PM
So I take it you're not going to the game tomorrow, purple? One of my co-workers is for her b-day present. When she was talking about it a couple days ago, was when I realized it was nearly time.

I mean, I knew they were at Mankato, but I usually don't pay attention to how long they are there.

And yes, Andre is happy about the fact that I know the Vikings go to Mankato for camp...:smalltongue:

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-08-07, 07:54 PM
Gooo LIONS!!!!!

We be up 10-3 over the G-men

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-08-07, 07:56 PM
No, ER, I won't be going to the game tomorrow, I'll probably be at home watching the Twins at the Royals.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-07, 08:17 PM
Reggie Bush.
He is my favorite college football player. Ever.
He's just so damn fun to watch, whenever he gets the ball you get the feeling that something big might happen.
Then he went to the NFL and has been...mediocre.

I hope that he's just getting used to the faster pace of the game, and will eventually return to his former glories :smallfrown:

He hasn't been terrible... Just a solid player. Not good or bad... and the Saints? Give him a team to work with with a solid 'O' Line... like with the Cowboys, or Steelers. I'd love to see him go to the Packers... or maybe a team with already solid runningbacks... And then, mabe someone will do a hardcore option offense WORK :smallconfused:... That would be a sight to see, for sure.

Although, average on a normal player scale is bad on the Reggie scale :smallfrown:.

EmeraldRose
2008-08-07, 08:19 PM
He hasn't been terrible... Just a solid player. Not good or bad... and the Saints? Give him a team to work with with a solid 'O' Line... like with the Cowboys, or Steelers.

:smallyuk: He's been terrible. 6 TDs in an entire season? What'd we pay for this guy? He's a mover, yes. But he has not been a scorer. Let him run it and then give it to Deuce for the follow through.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-07, 08:21 PM
Editted :smallbiggrin: Read the last line.

shadowxknight
2008-08-07, 08:21 PM
Well he DID get injured last season.

And he does have moments when he shines.
NFC Championship a year ago, anyone?

Although I'll admit the moments that he does shine are few and far in between.

EmeraldRose
2008-08-07, 08:25 PM
Well he DID get injured last season.

And he does have moments when he shines.
NFC Championship a year ago, anyone?

Although I'll admit the moments that he does shine are few and far in between.

Yeah, but there were also like 14 games that he did play in, before the injury. The year before was totally different, because he and Deuce were being swapped out and playing off each other. It was beautiful.

@ MrMud: it makes much more sense now :smallbiggrin:

Indurain
2008-08-07, 08:29 PM
personally, I don't hate the pats cause of spygate. I am just still harboring a grudge from when they beat the panthers in the superbowl so long ago. You know, back when the panthers could actually make it that far.

QFT. I am also a Patriots hater, and this is the main reason. Add to that I have a buddy who is a rampant Pats fan (bit of a bandwagon jumping guy), and then calculate my hatred for teams that DOMINATE a league, and the Pats are going to be my "root against" team.

LET'S GO PANTHERS!!

Oh and since I'm Canadian, I should probably also throw this in too.

LET'S GO ARGOS!

Anteros
2008-08-07, 08:31 PM
What are you talking about anyway? He did one good play during the NFC championship and did nothing the rest of the game.

Let me state, I really, really like Reggie Bush. He's been very active in the NO community since the floods, he's a very nice guy, and an incredible athlete. With that said, he's been terrible in the pros. He has hardly been able to move the ball, and tends to fumble a lot.

Although he did look pretty good tonight during the few drives that he played. I really hope he gets it together and the Saints can get their secondary to actually defend against passes for a change.

GO SAINTS!!!

Mr. Mud
2008-08-07, 08:32 PM
Yeah, but there were also like 14 games that he did play in, before the injury. The year before was totally different, because he and Deuce were being swapped out and playing off each other. It was beautiful.

@ MrMud: it makes much more sense now :smallbiggrin:

That it does. :smallbiggrin:

Anyhow, he's sorta like Haley's comet. Comes every 96 years but when it does, its freakin' awesome. :cool:

@ Anteros: Yes, but that makes me wonder; was he drafted for the football, or to inspire a beaten down, broken community? Either way he has helped, especially with the latter. :smallsmile:

EmeraldRose
2008-08-07, 08:33 PM
Hehheh...well, we'll see how he plays this season. Maybe he'll turn it around and be the star we paid for.

*still wishes Deuce would heal up quick and Horn would come back*

Mr. Mud
2008-08-07, 08:35 PM
Hehheh...well, we'll see how he plays this season. Maybe he'll turn it around and be the star we paid for.

*still wishes Deuce would heal up quick and Horn would come back*

Wait why am I talking about other teams when my Farve has left me :frown:

[/sob]

PhoeKun
2008-08-07, 08:46 PM
QFT. I am also a Patriots hater, and this is the main reason. Add to that I have a buddy who is a rampant Pats fan (bit of a bandwagon jumping guy), and then calculate my hatred for teams that DOMINATE a league, and the Pats are going to be my "root against" team.

All legitimate reasons. Particularly regarding bandwagon fans. Now, as a New England fan, I think it's kind of neat to see them finally fielding teams actually worthy of bandwagon fandom, but... eesh, if you think you're annoyed by them, try having them representing and cluttering up your fan base. Ugh. :smallyuk:

Just to clarify my earlier position, I don't mind people rooting against the Pats. Everybody has a team they would like to see lose. There's plenty of good reasons for that - rivalry, history (the team handing yours a particularly painful loss *glares balefully at the Giants*), choosing David over Goliath... it's just, there's a difference between a "root against" team and a "villify entirely" team. The second shouldn't exist.

Hell, I'm a Red Sox fan (gasp!), and I'm not sitting here actively wishing ill upon them and spitting on their accomplishments. I'm just a much happier girl when they're behind the Sox in the rankings. :smallbiggrin:

skywalker
2008-08-07, 09:12 PM
Reggie Bush is, was, and probably always will be a big moment guy. At USC he had a great QB and a guy like Deuce to punch it in for him. But now there's not that pass threat to open it up for him. I also don't think his style(big flash) works very well against NFL goal-line defense. Most of the time in the NFL, you gotta pound it in for 4 downs, or throw a little out pattern that confuses the secondary. I also agree that he needs a better o-line. But he wants to stay in NO, just like Chris Paul, look what they did for CP3, hopefully the Saints can do the same.

I want to chime in on the Pats-hate. First of all, there is(always has been) something different about recording. I don't know what it is, but there always has been a big difference between reading signs as they happen with your own eyes, and taping. I don't think it's rational or agree with it, but I do know it's there. Second, Bill Belichick is a complete *well, I didn't know that word was filtered. Nevermind.*. The man exudes lack of sportsmanship, and some would say it trickles down to the rest of the team. I could hate the team based solely on his choice of sideline apparel. Seriously, you make millions a year, and you're wearing a hoodie you cut the sleeves out of. You look like you bought it at target 20 years ago. His entire sideline demeanor is crap. Compare him to Tony Dungy, for example.

Tom Brady dates a supermodel. I really couldn't care less, but jealousy is a funny thing. He's too handsome, and so is his girlfriend. For some reason, some of the best inspire love, some inspire hate. Tom just happens to inspire more hate and jealousy than he does love and admiration. But he is absolutely the best clutch-QB in possibly ever.

Finally, the coach's attitude extends to the rest of the team, and I promise, being complete bastards is not endearing. With the exception of Tedi Bruschi, there's not a single Pats player who I want to root for. That's why people jumped at the chance to tear them down after spygate.

Shadow
2008-08-07, 11:19 PM
*sigh* the Bears really could've used Favre. If we had at least a halfway competent QB (and Cedrick Benson back), we'd go 19-0 faster than you can say "patriots trademark" :smallwink:
How is it that no one has commented on this yet?
Cedric Benson?!?!?
He SUCKS! The worst thing the Bears did last year was trade one of the better RBs in the league, and kept what even they admitted was a 'situational back!' And on that note, who the HELL drafts a SITUIATIONAL BACK as the fourth overall pick?????

Seriously, you make millions a year, and you're wearing a hoodie you cut the sleeves out of. You look like you bought it at target 20 years ago. His entire sideline demeanor is crap. Compare him to Tony Dungy, for example.
But what you obviously don't know (or don't care) is that he does it out of spite for the League. He has an outstanding wardrobe. I'd go so far as to say that he is, without a doubt, the very best dressed coach in the league.
Period.
He feels that the coaches should be allowed - nay, required - to wear suits on the sidelines like they did in the old days. The NFL requires the coached to dress in team apparel. So to spit in their faces, he dresses as he does, rather than as he knows he should.

It's exactly what I would do in that situation, and I can't fault him for it.

But he is absolutely the best clutch-QB in possibly ever.
Thank you for at least agreeing with me on that point.

10:51
2008-08-08, 12:15 AM
I still can't get over Farve's decision...

Why throw away all that legacy for a new start with an old body?

shadowxknight
2008-08-08, 12:27 AM
Hmm, I'm pretty sure in March or so Favre held a news conference and announced his retirement.
What happened with all that?

PhoeKun
2008-08-08, 01:07 AM
Hmm, I'm pretty sure in March or so Favre held a news conference and announced his retirement.
What happened with all that?

He realized he still wanted to play. Everyone should have seen it coming; Favre is somebody with football in his blood. And really, not much else. His heart is strewn all over the field... and more and more every year, he's got to be feeling the pain of all those games, and all those consecutive starts. He's old for a football player, and he's tired. And every year at the end of the season, he gets asked if this is the year he retires. Eventually, the were going to catch him in one of those weak and painful moments, and he'd say yes.

Now he's had time to recover, and he can't stay away from the game. But, think about it. Think of what he did, just last year. He led a team of developing nobodies to the NFC championship game, and earned the same 13-3 record the utterly stacked Dallas Cowboys managed (it's an impressive record no matter who's on your team, but for a 38-year-old man with a bunch of unproven receivers... wow). And then his last ever pass in the NFL is a game-ending interception in overtime? No. There's no way. He can't end his career on that kind of note.

The Packers, however, have wanted to move on for some time, or so it seems. They want Aaron Rodgers, all else be damned. They threw the kitchen sink at Brett to get him to stay retired, but the guy just can't stay out of the game. And they absolutely did not want to see him playing against them, so they orchestrated their trade demands around getting him to an AFC team that they wouldn't see, except possibly in the Superbowl (you can imagine this is an acceptable risk for any team). The Jets are the only chance Brett has to play football. The legacy doesn't matter. He has to play.

That's what it looks like to me, at least.

Shadow
2008-08-08, 01:17 AM
There's actually a bit more to it. Stuff that's not in the media at all.
Well, it is in the media, but it's not supposed to be. As in, some of them know it, but they shouldn't, so they keep their mouths shut.

Shawn Salisbury from ESPN is a friend of mine. so I'm a little bit "in the loop" on these things.

This all happened a few days before all the drama began: Basically, Favre told the Pack that he was returning. He asked them to keep it quiet for a few days. Set up a press conference. We'll tell everyone together.
So they did.
About an hour before the press conference, he changed his mind.... again....

Then, a couple of days later, he tells them that he wants to come back.... again....
Screw you, dude!
They were obviously upset. He was supposed to be retired. They can't hang onto Rodgers forever. It's his time. Favre, by playing these games with the team, and then talking a bunch of smack about the Pack and Rodgers, drew the team's ire. All of this has been for spite, on both parts.

The Pack was/is spiting Favre for screwing around with them so much.
Favre is spiting the Pack for screwing with him so much.
It's a vicious cycle, and each blames the other.

Emperor Ing
2008-08-08, 05:18 AM
Yay! My boy farve is respected by divie rivals now he's gone... wait I think thats bad. And who couldn't use him? I can think of maybe, 10 teams that don't if that many.
Trust me, Rex Grossman = Epic phail. :smallannoyed:

tape_measure
2008-08-08, 06:44 AM
The only ting I'm interested in the Favre Saga anymore, is to see what kind of draft pick the Jest will get. If he does well, they get a first round draft pick; AND, if the pack does porrly, that first rounder goes waaay up the list and could be an eventual successor to Favre in New York. This could be the deal that makes the jets a force again (in a couple of years).

On that note, there seem to be more of these "IF" deals this year, an fewer straight trades. Well, at least none that spring to mind right off (other than Taylor to the 'Skins).

Indurain
2008-08-08, 08:29 AM
The only ting I'm interested in the Favre Saga anymore, is to see what kind of draft pick the Jest will get. If he does well, they get a first round draft pick; AND, if the pack does porrly, that first rounder goes waaay up the list and could be an eventual successor to Favre in New York. This could be the deal that makes the jets a force again (in a couple of years).

On that note, there seem to be more of these "IF" deals this year, an fewer straight trades. Well, at least none that spring to mind right off (other than Taylor to the 'Skins).

I'm pretty sure it's the Packers who get the draft pick, based on how well the Jets do...not the other way around.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-08, 08:31 AM
I'm pretty sure it's the Packers who get the draft pick, based on how well the Jets do...not the other way around.

They get a 4th round pick, and its index to farve's QB rating, and how well the team does overall. Hence, if they do really good they get their 1st round, but if farve is terrible and/or injured they no matter what get 4th round. If he does sorta well its in the middle. Or atleast thats what I read on drudge on some drudge-like.

tape_measure
2008-08-08, 04:15 PM
Ha! That's what I get for posting late in my night (hence the more than usual amount of typos).:smallamused:

North
2008-08-08, 04:31 PM
If the Jets go to the Superbowl the Packers get a first round pick. The rest is determinate upon what percentage of games Farve plays.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-08, 06:11 PM
If the Jets go to the Superbowl the Packers get a first round pick. The rest is determinate upon what percentage of games Farve plays.

And if he is injuried for all 19 games, but the still make it to the superbowl... they have a snowball's chance in hell, but what if? :smallconfused:.

I still think he had a lot better options... or atleast Green Bay did. As much as I love Farve (and I do love Farve) I think he just wanted to be the new face of the Jets, with their Giga-Mega-Uber Stadium coming up soon, he just wanted to be a part of that.

Does this remind anyone else of Johnie U.? :smallfrown::smallsmile:.

PhoeKun
2008-08-08, 06:15 PM
And if he is injuried for all 19 games, but the still make it to the superbowl... they have a snowball's chance in hell, but what if? :smallconfused:.

If he's injured for the entire season, and inexplicably stops being Brett Favre and doesn't play through it, the Packers will get nothing. Even the 4th round pick is contingent upon Favre taking 50% of the snaps. 60%, I think, and it jumps to a third round. A playoff appearance and 70% of the snaps, and its a 2nd rounder. A Super Bowl appearance and 80% of the snaps equals a 1st rounder for Green Bay.

The deal is based upon Favre being the one to take the Jets somewhere. If... and I can't fathom this happening... Kellen Clemens leads New York to higher places, the Packers won't benefit.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-08, 06:19 PM
If he's injured for the entire season, and inexplicably stops being Brett Favre and doesn't play through it, the Packers will get nothing. Even the 4th round pick is contingent upon Favre taking 50% of the snaps. 60%, I think, and it jumps to a third round. A playoff appearance and 70% of the snaps, and its a 2nd rounder. A Super Bowl appearance and 80% of the snaps equals a 1st rounder for Green Bay.

The deal is based upon Favre being the one to take the Jets somewhere. If... and I can't fathom this happening... Kellen Clemens leads New York to higher places, the Packers won't benefit.

Ah okay... Thanks for clearing that up. (And come to think of it, If Brett Farve broke his arm in Game 1... being Brett Farve, I think he could come back somewhere in between games 6-7 :smallbiggrin:)

Kellen Clemens...

... That's a good one. You had me going for a second there :wink:

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-08-08, 06:37 PM
It's mostly moot, of course, since there's exactly zero chance the Jets are winning the division, and I don't see them getting the Wild Card, either.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-08, 06:42 PM
It's mostly moot, of course, since there's exactly zero chance the Jets are winning the division, and I don't see them getting the Wild Card, either.

Eh, you never know. Maybe Farve will pull another season out of his... hat.

On another Note, the Patriots got creamed last night by the Ravens... The "Only team to lose to the frikin' dolphins" Ravens. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-08-08, 06:52 PM
On another Note, the Patriots got creamed last night by the Ravens... The "Only team to lose to the frikin' dolphins" Ravens. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:
It's preseason. NFL preseason may be the only thing around that actually provides negative information.

EmeraldRose
2008-08-08, 07:03 PM
So, my Saints won last night, which is hopefully a promising start to the year. I didn't get to watch the end of the game, since I had to go to bed :smallannoyed:

Now the Vikings are about to play Seattle, so guess what's on the TV at our house?

Crow
2008-08-08, 07:20 PM
Favre is 38 years old. 38-year-old players don't have "breakout" years. They do have the odd "good" year though. Look at Favre's last 3 years and you'll get a pretty good idea of what you can expect from the Jets this year.

The Jets aren't going to go anywhere with Favre, and vise-versa.

It's preseason. NFL preseason may be the only thing around that actually provides negative information.

I actually get worried if my teams do well in pre-season or in spring training. It almost never works out.

An Enemy Spy
2008-08-08, 09:02 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!! My Hawks are spanking the Vikings! Keep it up! :tongue:

Klose_the_Sith
2008-08-08, 10:13 PM
Go the Jets!

(They're the one with Ben Graham, he used to play real football)

An Enemy Spy
2008-08-08, 10:28 PM
Hell yeah! Seahawks win 34-17! I will give you this Viking fans, you played pretty well in the 1st half

Midnight Son
2008-08-08, 10:33 PM
Hell yeah! Seahawks win 34-17! I will give you this Viking fans, you played pretty well in the 1st halfYou mean the half where all their starters played?

shadowxknight
2008-08-09, 12:05 AM
Don't get too excited over preseason games.
Half the time the good players don't even get put in.

An Enemy Spy
2008-08-09, 03:44 AM
A win is a win, no matter who's playing, Let me have my fun

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-08-09, 09:08 AM
Re: Favre I am convinced he won't make it to the Bye week. After the way he treated his fans and the game? Karma has a great sense of Irony.

An Enemy Spy
2008-08-09, 10:38 AM
Not to mention the Madden Curse

shadowxknight
2008-08-09, 01:29 PM
Not to mention the Madden Curse

As much as I hate him, VY is doing fine isn't he.

skywalker
2008-08-09, 01:48 PM
But what you obviously don't know (or don't care) is that he does it out of spite for the League. He has an outstanding wardrobe. I'd go so far as to say that he is, without a doubt, the very best dressed coach in the league.
Period.
He feels that the coaches should be allowed - nay, required - to wear suits on the sidelines like they did in the old days. The NFL requires the coached to dress in team apparel. So to spit in their faces, he dresses as he does, rather than as he knows he should. No, I didn't know. Again, I say compare to Tony (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/Tony_Dungy_award.jpg). He looks sharp while still conforming to the rules. I think you can add "head coach wears crappy clothes simply to spite the NFL" to the list of reasons people hate the team. Spite is one of those things that doesn't inspire love.

As for the Favre situation, guys, seriously, we need to remember the real casualty here: Chad Pennington :smallfrown:

EDIT: @^ The Madden curse only lasts for the year you're on the cover.

Shadow
2008-08-09, 01:56 PM
No, I didn't know. Again, I say compare to Tony (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/Tony_Dungy_award.jpg). He looks sharp while still conforming to the rules. I think you can add "head coach wears crappy clothes simply to spite the NFL" to the list of reasons people hate the team. Spite is one of those things that doesn't inspire love.
Bill feels that he should be dressed like the the gentlemen surrounding Tony, not like Tony. And personally, I agree with him. But I can see your point.

As for the Favre situation, guys, seriously, we need to remember the real casualty here: Chad Pennington :smallfrown:
The other day my roommate asked me if I was hiring.
Yes. Why? You unhappy where you are?

"No, but I hear Chad Pennington's looking...."

BWAAHAAAHAAAAA!
:biggrin: I laughed like hell.

skywalker
2008-08-09, 02:07 PM
The other day my roommate asked me if I was hiring.
Yes. Why? You unhappy where you are?

"No, but I hear Chad Pennington's looking...."

BWAAHAAAHAAAAA!
:biggrin: I laughed like hell.

Apparently the Dolphins signed him?

According to my dad, Chad is 3rd on the Jets' all-time passing yardage list. Wikipedia claims that his completion percentage is the best ever. No idea of the veracity of these claims.

He's actually not that bad a QB, he just runs like a passer and throws like a runner... Not an NFL starter for sure. But a really nice guy. His mom taught me English, and he gave several speeches to our school.

Shadow
2008-08-09, 02:11 PM
I wasn't dissing him, matter of fact I like him a lot. He's not the prettiest, but he is effective.
I just thought the joke was hysterical!

PhoeKun
2008-08-09, 02:19 PM
Apparently the Dolphins signed him?

According to my dad, Chad is 3rd on the Jets' all-time passing yardage list. Wikipedia claims that his completion percentage is the best ever. No idea of the veracity of these claims.

He's actually not that bad a QB, he just runs like a passer and throws like a runner... Not an NFL starter for sure. But a really nice guy. His mom taught me English, and he gave several speeches to our school.

I saw a quote somewhere in regards to Pennington that's as true as it is funny: "He would be an elite QB but for the fact that he can't throw."

If Peyton Manning has a rocket arm, then Pennington has a squirt gun.

skywalker
2008-08-09, 02:40 PM
Peyton actually has the lesser arm of the Manning brothers. Which is scary. He's a couple years older, but watch out if Eli ever gets an offensive scheme that plays to his arm strength(like the Colts have...). But if you watch Peyton's passes, he's giving it absolutely everything he's got. I've been a Peyton fan ever since his UT days but I think I might like Eli better.

One thing Chad does have going for him, his wife is incredibly beautiful :smallbiggrin:

shadowxknight
2008-08-10, 08:41 PM
Peyton actually has the lesser arm of the Manning brothers. Which is scary. He's a couple years older, but watch out if Eli ever gets an offensive scheme that plays to his arm strength(like the Colts have...). But if you watch Peyton's passes, he's giving it absolutely everything he's got. I've been a Peyton fan ever since his UT days but I think I might like Eli better.

One thing Chad does have going for him, his wife is incredibly beautiful :smallbiggrin:

Maybe Peyton's struggling to keep his strength in check? :smallwink:

Mr. Mud
2008-08-10, 08:45 PM
Maybe Peyton's struggling to keep his strength in check? :smallwink:

Eli did drink more milk in that "got milk?" ad.

Seriously though, The Giants needs to rearrange somethings, to position Eli more for power throws, and from what I've been here from my inside sources (I have a few family members that are minor coaches... Conditioning, QB/RB etc...) around the league that they will.

Anyhow, one of the strongest arm was Farve back in the glory days... like that 30 yard on the dot laser he threw?... flat on his butt. :smallamused:

xPANCAKEx
2008-08-10, 09:22 PM
jags beat the falcons by a field goal

nice interceptions for the highlight reel too

Mr. Mud
2008-08-10, 10:01 PM
jags beat the falcons by a field goal

nice interceptions for the highlight reel too

Even nicer for defense films :smallwink:.

An Enemy Spy
2008-08-16, 01:04 AM
Titans just beat the Raiders

Anteros
2008-08-17, 08:47 PM
Reggie Bush is, was, and probably always will be a big moment guy. At USC he had a great QB and a guy like Deuce to punch it in for him. But now there's not that pass threat to open it up for him. I also don't think his style(big flash) works very well against NFL goal-line defense. Most of the time in the NFL, you gotta pound it in for 4 downs, or throw a little out pattern that confuses the secondary. I also agree that he needs a better o-line. But he wants to stay in NO, just like Chris Paul, look what they did for CP3, hopefully the Saints can do the same.

I'm not gonna comment on the offensive line statement, but I know you didn't say that the Saint's have no passing threat. They are literally the most passing team in football, with one of the most accurate QBs in the game. It's just that all that juking and dodging that Bush does that works so great in college doesn't ussually work in the NFL.

Re Pats hate: People hate them because they come off as arrogant. Also they were caught cheating with strong evidence to imply that they had been doing it for a while, even in previous super-bowls....and the league brushed it under the rug and slapped them on the wrist.

Also: Payton >>>> Eli. Both are good but Payton is one of the NFL elite. Whether Eli will grow into it is yet to be seen. We need to see if he continues to play like he did in the playoffs last year, or if he goes back to his normal level.

skywalker
2008-08-18, 12:25 AM
I'm not gonna comment on the offensive line statement, but I know you didn't say that the Saint's have no passing threat. They are literally the most passing team in football, with one of the most accurate QBs in the game. It's just that all that juking and dodging that Bush does that works so great in college doesn't ussually work in the NFL.

Re Pats hate: People hate them because they come off as arrogant. Also they were caught cheating with strong evidence to imply that they had been doing it for a while, even in previous super-bowls....and the league brushed it under the rug and slapped them on the wrist.

Also: Payton >>>> Eli. Both are good but Payton is one of the NFL elite. Whether Eli will grow into it is yet to be seen. We need to see if he continues to play like he did in the playoffs last year, or if he goes back to his normal level.

I'm not going to pretend to know all that much about football. I don't know what the pass/run percentages are on the Saints offense. However, they would have to be absolutely unintelligent(stupid) to have a primarily passing offense with Reggie freakin' Bush in the backfield, let alone the most passing offense in the NFL.

Anteros
2008-08-18, 09:01 AM
Well see, the problem is that "Reggie Fricking Bush" fumbles the ball every third time they give it to him and is generally unimpressive. Combine that with an injury to their other RB and yes, you have the most passing team in the game.

Fun fact: The only reason the saints didn't go to the playoffs last year was a fumble by Bush at the end of the pivotal game against Tampa Bay.

Red Machine D
2008-08-18, 09:07 AM
GO CARDINALS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'll sit down now.

Shadow
2008-08-18, 09:23 AM
Well see, the problem is that "Reggie Fricking Bush" fumbles the ball every third time they give it to him and is generally unimpressive. Combine that with an injury to their other RB and yes, you have the most passing team in the game.

Fun fact: The only reason the saints didn't go to the playoffs last year was a fumble by Bush at the end of the pivotal game against Tampa Bay.
Unimpressive, I think, may be a bit harsh. Bush is impressive.
It's because he's impressive that the passing game works so well. They're quite a balanced team.
When you are forced to respect the run, the passing game is that much more effective, and vice verce.
Sure, he does have a fumbling issue, but he's still fairly green in the pros. That may not be as big of an issue this year. We'll see in a few weeks.

Anteros
2008-08-18, 12:39 PM
Your point makes sense in theory, but in reality it falls apart when you look at the facts.

The Saint's played the last four or so games of their season last year with no RB at all after Bush got injured and Deuce was out with a knee injury. Their pass didn't suffer at all, in fact they did better overall due to the fact that Bush wasn't on the field constantly fumbling the ball.

Their pass game is so effective because Brees is an all pro quarterback who has access to some very, very good recievers. It has nothing to do with Bush at all.

Edit: I should say, I'm not ussually a Bush basher and I actually tend to defend him against people who trash talk him. The fact is that he is a mediocre RB at this point. Not terrible, and not great. Maybe he can become better. I certainly hope so.

Shadow
2008-08-18, 04:54 PM
He's still young. Give him some time to develop.
We'll see where he is in a year and a half.

tape_measure
2008-08-18, 09:20 PM
How much time do you give a 'x'-million dollar player?

Not to bash Bush outright(though that phrase generally means something altogether different), but the odds are stacked against him.

Look at David Carr. Since being drafted at the 1st overall pick in '02, he's declined so quickly to being a mediocre back-up to Eli Manning.

Roy Williams/Calvin Johnson, both in Detroit, are other examples of top drafted players just not shining so brightly on the professional level.

Seems like top drafts have a higher fail rate in the first few years until the become 'seasoned' enough. Most get tired of hearing about another bad game, hence why Carr was shipped out after 6 unproductive seasons.

Anteros
2008-09-08, 12:05 AM
Whoo first game of the season! Go Saints!

Bush looked good, and so did our defense. Maybe this is our year.

Some pretty big upsets today, and a huge injury to the Patriots. Looks like it's going to be an exciting year.

snoopy13a
2008-09-08, 09:22 PM
...Why? Why is the necessary?

No, seriously. It's not as though it's not ok to root against a team, especially one that's supposed to have a rivalry with yours. But where in the name of heck did all this vitriol for the Pats come from? :smallconfused: Do you people have any idea what it's like to be a Pats fan, and have been one?

I have cheered for a team that flat-out sucked my entire life, and who prior to the new millenium accomplished little beyond losing to Brett Favre in the Super Bowl. What a year that was. The team has been irrelevant my entire life. I've finally got a team that rewards my faith in them, and all of a sudden, it's not ok to like them. All of a sudden, they're Evil.

It's not about Spygate. It was never about Spygate. The venom came before Spygate, and (I hasten to add) a perfect regular season happened after Spygate. Is there a particular reason they can't just be a good team that you'd like to see your team beat?

It's just... gah. I'm tired of "us against the world". I just want to enjoy having a good team. I grew up rooting for Boston in an era when there was nothing to cheer about, no matter what sport you watched. Victory is fleeting. Please, just let me enjoy this while it lasts, I beg of you.

Jealousy and resentment often occurs when a team is at the top for a prolonged period of time. Remember, the Pats' first SB win was over the Rams. At the time, most people hated the Rams as they were arrogant (led by the egotistical Mike Martz) and recieved tons of media attention (the greatest show on turf, anyone?). Most fans wanted the Pats to win that game. Even after that game, some Rams players said that they were the better team (obviously false but it highlights their arrogance. Fans hate arrogance.

Over the next couple of years, perception of the Pats changed. Part of this was due to their continued success. Remember, everyone wants their own team to win. If their team can't win, many people would rather have championships be spread around then concentrated on one team (the main exception of course is when your team is doing the winning :smallsmile: ). Additionally, with winning comes media attention. It gets a bit old hearing about the Patriots' wonderful team mentality, how great their coaching staff is, how great Tom Brady is, blah, blah, blah. This isn't the Patriots' (or any other winning team's) fault but it always happens. People want their team to be successful and they want the reporters and announcers to discuss their team and not the same successful one over and over again.

Also, when a team is in the spotlight all the time it highlights the percieved negative qualities. Bill Belichick comes across a jerk, Tom Brady comes across as full of himself and of course Rodney Harrision is the dirtest player in football :smalltongue: . Obviously, other coaches in the NFL are jerks and other teams have arrogant and/or dirty players. However, no one cares if say, Kansas City, has a jerk of a coach because they haven't been successful recently.

Finally, there are the frontrunner "fans". These are the people who were Cowboy fans 15 years ago, Ram fans 10 years ago, and Patriot fans today. Unfortunately, as most loyal Patriot fans tend to live in New England (just as most loyal Cowboys fans live in Texas and most loyal 49ers fans life in Northern California) when those of us who live in other parts of country see Patriot fans they are likely to be these "die-hard" Patriot fans who were probably Dallas or St. Louis "fans" before they started to win Superbowls. People associate these obnoxious fans with the team and adds to the negativity.

I'm a Giants fan so I've been on cloud nine for the last couple of months when it comes to football. Now, if the Giants were to win two or three more superbowls over the next five years most football fans would end up hating the Giants. Of course, I wouldn't care because I'd be incredibly happy. However, that is the nature of sports. Too much success and other fans will end up hating your team.

skywalker
2008-09-08, 10:08 PM
However, no one cares if say, Kansas City, has a jerk of a coach because they haven't been successful recently.

But KC doesn't have a jerk for a coach. Herm Edwards is a wonderful human being. It doesn't help when the coach is actually the biggest jerk and the dirty player is actually the dirtiest player.

Jarade
2008-09-08, 11:15 PM
Let me just announce my allegiance to the
GREEN BAY PACKERS

Aaron Rodgers comes through to beat the vikings 24 - 19

1-0 and we're going far this year!

:smallcool:

An Enemy Spy
2008-09-08, 11:17 PM
I can't believe my Hawks lost to the expletiving Bills. Why must Deion Branch always be injured. *sob*