PDA

View Full Version : Cryptids in the Playground

fraud
2008-08-06, 10:39 PM
like Magic in the Playground this isn't to discus wheter they exist or not just you're expreinces with them and any other stuff. For those that don't know cryptids are races that have yet to be proven. Examples are Big Foot, the Loch Ness Monster, and aliens

let me just begin by saying MOTH MAN!

I believe that Mothman is actually a curse by Chief Cornstalk who died fighting the british there in 1774. As he died, it's said, Cornstalk cursed the site, a curse some people link to Mothman, Mothman was also first sighted at a park called Cheif Cornstalk Hunting Ground. Also in many other countries have traditons of a bird-like creature that creates disaster, and on December 1967, the Silver Bridge over the Ohio River in Point Pleasent collapsed at the height of an evening Rush Hour, killing dozens of people, people report seeing Mothman at the scene.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-06, 10:46 PM
Fraud buddy? You forgot,

MOLE PEOPLE
And if they aren't real then my whole life is a lie :smalleek:.

On a (semi)serious note, I read in a Time Magazine a while back about a race of dwarfs* (no my DnD fans, not like that) living on some small island in the middle of the pacific.

*Sad to say, they are all long gone.

Aron Times
2008-08-06, 10:51 PM
Canadians.

I believe they are a savage people who live in igloos and ride penguins to war. I read somewhere that they went extinct due to English and French annihilating each other in a massive explosion.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-06, 10:53 PM
Riding... penguins... into battle...

Any Canadians out there, Canadian enough to make me a honorary canadian? THATS FREAKING AWESOME!

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2008-08-07, 12:07 AM
We don't let just anyone become Honourary Canadians. There are forms to fill out, rituals to perform, feats to acheive. It's a tough task.

What about the fact that Hasbro creates living creatures/things and sells them as toys, which have their own little wars in the dead of night, with the buyers never suspecting a thing?

Mankind was created a race of fish-like aliens interested in the evolution of life on non-fully aquatic worlds. They intend to return to retrieve samples.

Tempest Fennac
2008-08-07, 12:14 AM
You're refering to the Nomons from te Dogon's creation mythology, right Lord Fullbladder? This area is interresting, especially since a lot of the creatures may be real (eg: rumours of a large iron-eating creature were only confirmed around 100 years ago (I think) when pandas were discovered, and the okapi was only discovered a few decades ago).

bosssmiley
2008-08-07, 04:03 AM
Yay for delicious cryptozoology! :smallbiggrin:

Of course Nessie exists. Heck, there's even talk of a law being specifically introduced (http://heritage.scotsman.com/lochnessmonster/For-Whitehall-protecting-Nessie-wasnt.2740524.jp) to protect him/her/it (above and beyond the security offered by the Protection of Wildlife in Scotland Act of 1912).

Look at the discovery of the new species of deer in SE Asia a couple of year back, or the discovery of the lowland gorilla habitat in the depths of Zaire the other day. There are still things out there in that big, wide world that we don't know about for certain. Heck, we're only just learning about extremophile lifeforms now.

When it comes to things like Bigfoot, the Yeti and lake monsters I want to believe.

Wizard of the Coat
2008-08-07, 05:07 AM
Okapi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okapi) were confirmed almost a century ago. But still new game does show up on occasion. Still they seem to always be similar in nature to things we allready know, subspecies mostly...probably most that saw them did not realise that these things hadn't been discovered yet.

As for cryptids, though hard to dismiss them, I don't think we'll find them on earth as too much effort has gone in the search for these seemingly large creature. Aliens are a different matter, I think it is quite possible in my opinion that they have come to earth as tourists on safari. Personally I believe that we aren't nearly advanced enough to be of any interest to intelligent life out in the universe other then as a tourist attraction/ kind of antropoligical study.

I remember immages of a recently discovered tribe in the amazon, throwing spears at overhead planes taking pictures of them...reminded me of UFO sightings...

Despite probably having the intelligence to not have to come here to study us I believe that if there are alien antropologists that they will behave just like human antropologist and indeed do fly overhead to observe things with their own senses. Like human antropologist they would not want to let themselves get known, simply as doing so would distort their studies. Afterall how can you study something in it's native terrain if you are in there distorting it...

I'm not saying that they exist, I'm just saying that if they did exist I wouldn't find their suposedly observed behavior all that strange.

Shademan
2008-08-07, 05:17 AM
tatzelwurm. a arctic reptile who lives in switzerland and maybe parts of germany.
i want one!
... but they should remain free so...

Serpentine
2008-08-07, 08:48 AM
like Magic in the Playground this isn't to discus wheter they exist or not just you're expreinces with them and any other stuff. For those that don't know cryptids are races that have yet to be proven. Examples are Big Foot, the Loch Ness Monster, and aliensUh... Not races. Species. :smallsigh:

I was considering doing my masters or PhD on Big Hairy People. You know, Bigfoot, Yeti, Sasqwatch, Swino, Yowie, Skunkman, Orange Eyes, etc. etc. etc. Specifically, why is it that pretty much the exact same creature is spotted all around the world, including places where "misidentified ape" simply wouldn't work? This suggests to me that there's something interesting going on, even if none of these cases are a new species.

An Enemy Spy
2008-08-07, 09:58 AM
Over here in Washington I see Bigfoot all the time. Heck, he comes over every tuesday for poker night.

Jokes
2008-08-07, 10:12 AM
Wow, I got this in my email today-

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/jokersmods/Misc/wtf.jpg

Opinions?

valadil
2008-08-07, 10:32 AM
My best guess is that that's an anteater. They stand like that when threatened. http://www.acrossthedivide.com/gallery/brazil_photos/images/anteater.jpg

As far as other cryptids go, I'll go with crab people and chupacabras please.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-07, 10:37 AM
A standing up cat? Or maybe my cat is the only one cool enough to walk on feet, on command :smallcool:.

ORRRR maybe, its photoshopped??? :smallfurious: I hate photoshop.

Ilena
2008-08-07, 11:28 AM
Ive always felt that Dragons have/ do exist, but thats just me, also elves and fairies and such were said to exist but noone sees them.

Project_Mayhem
2008-08-07, 11:42 AM
Well, I'd heard rumours of sober irishmen, but I'm not that gullible ...

Phase
2008-08-07, 11:43 AM
While I am hesitent about beleiving in some cryptids, I would just like to point out the eerie connection between the Mothman and the thunderbirds that I gleaned from reported sightings.

Mothman:Point Pleasant

Thunderbirds: Pleasant Point

:smallconfused::smalleek:

Ilena
2008-08-07, 11:47 AM
Although it would be sweet to meet a unicorn, and a centaur

Mr. Mud
2008-08-07, 11:54 AM
Wait... you're not a centaur... but on 4 legs so not a Minotaur...
YAK-TAUR!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES :smalleek:.

Wizard of the Coat
2008-08-07, 12:42 PM
Well I think that the most important phrase when it comes to some animals, like the Mexican Staring Frog from Southern Sri Lanka is:

"It's coming right for us!"

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2008-08-07, 01:08 PM
You're refering to the Nomons from te Dogon's creation mythology, right Lord Fullbladder? This area is interresting, especially since a lot of the creatures may be real (eg: rumours of a large iron-eating creature were only confirmed around 100 years ago (I think) when pandas were discovered, and the okapi was only discovered a few decades ago).

Am I? Fascinating. I'll have to find out something about that.

Ilena
2008-08-07, 01:18 PM
What are you talking about mudman? Centaur - 4 legs halfhorse half human, minotaur 2 legs head and chest of a bull normally, yaktaur ... umm half human have yak 4 legs? :P

Myself i am a Centaur that is all :P

AKA_Bait
2008-08-07, 01:34 PM
I was considering doing my masters or PhD on Big Hairy People. You know, Bigfoot, Yeti, Sasqwatch, Swino, Yowie, Skunkman, Orange Eyes, etc. etc. etc. Specifically, why is it that pretty much the exact same creature is spotted all around the world, including places where "misidentified ape" simply wouldn't work? This suggests to me that there's something interesting going on, even if none of these cases are a new species.

This is true of more than just 'big hairy people'. There are quite a large number of myths and mythological creatures that span multiple names and locations across the globe. Probably my favorite is the "Black Dog" mythology that exists in nearly identical formats throughout all of europe, parts of north america, asia and africa. (probably austriala too, via settlers, but I haven't seen anything about it.)

fraud
2008-08-07, 02:51 PM
Uh... Not races. Species. :smallsigh:

sorry got caught up on DnD:smallbiggrin:

how about Bigfoot, I think there's to much proof. In 1995 a sample of alleged Bigfoot hair was sent for DNA analysis at Ohio State University. After years of testing, the results are sill inconclusive. Also Many people who have shot at Bigfoot from point-blank range repor that the creature seems invulnerable to gunfire. Hunters, also claim, their dogs shy away from Bigfoot, whimpering. I think that Bigfoot is just like the Okapi or Platypus, a race that hasn't been discovered yet...

Serpentine
2008-08-07, 04:48 PM
Yaktaur = half yak, half bull.

Bait: Yeah, true. I originally wanted my honours to be comparing all of the dragon-type creature mythologies around the world. Also I don't know about black dogs in Australia, but we do have a sort of lycanthrope - a Devil Dog, man-dingo, that sleeps under the sand dunes until the call of a certain bird wakes it up. It then feeds on anything and anyone it can find until it is finally injured and driven back under the sand to sleep again.

Fraud: You did it again :smallsigh:

Near where I live, there were lots of old stories about a giant wombat in the area. Mostly aborigines, but there were I believe some supposed modern sightings. Then, sometime ago, they actually found some giant wombat bones in a cave in the area... I think they were pretty old - some thousands of years at least - but it goes to show that a lot of stories must have some origin in truth.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-08-07, 04:54 PM
Well, I'd heard rumours of sober irishmen, but I'm not that gullible ...

I'm quarter Irish.
I never drink a drop.

Mr. Mud
2008-08-07, 04:57 PM
I'm quarter Irish.
I never drink a drop.

You sir, must be some sorta of alien.

de-trick
2008-08-07, 05:01 PM
Canadians.

I believe they are a savage people who live in igloos and ride penguins to war. I read somewhere that they went extinct due to English and French annihilating each other in a massive explosion.

i prefer to ride my moose into battle, got to watch out for the guys in red thou, dont have plates for my moose, expired a month ago

my favorite is springer jack(guy could jump 20ft in the air) or the the clove footed footprints that went in a straight line over buildings and everything

but i got to find some articles

Project_Mayhem
2008-08-07, 05:40 PM
I'm quarter Irish.
I never drink a drop.

oh shi-
n/0 n/0 n/0 n/0

Fostire
2008-08-07, 06:04 PM
Uh... Not races. Species. :smallsigh:

Also i know there have been sightings of a nessie-like monster in Africa.
It wouldn't be too weird that such creatures were real, they could be prehistoric creatures that survived, like the Coelacanth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coelacanth), or it could be a creature whose environment isn't easily reached by man and is therefor only rarely seen like the giant squid who could well have been the kraken (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraken).

AKA_Bait
2008-08-08, 11:16 AM
Also i know there have been sightings of a nessie-like monster in Africa.
It wouldn't be too weird that such creatures were real, they could be prehistoric creatures that survived, like the Coelacanth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coelacanth), or it could be a creature whose environment isn't easily reached by man and is therefor only rarely seen like the giant squid who could well have been the kraken (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraken).

True, although I tend to be more skeptical about claims that isolate a creature (particularly ones of the size of Nessie, who has been effectivley in my mind disproven with extensive sonar testing of the Loch Ness) to a particular lake or town, even if there are similarities with other creatures in other places. Frequently, the distance between the two locations is just too large an the locations themselves are not suitable or too small to house a breeding population of such creatures. That leads me to beleive that although there was probably something someone saw it was more likley a diseased or mutant version of a particular already known species.

Ones that are widespread in sighting locations and/or in suitable environments, like bigfoot/yeti/etc. and even the somewhat confirmed Ebu Gogo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebu_Gogo) are a different matter.

Shademan
2008-08-08, 06:10 PM
i prefer to ride my moose into battle, got to watch out for the guys in red thou, dont have plates for my moose, expired a month ago

my favorite is springer jack(guy could jump 20ft in the air) or the the clove footed footprints that went in a straight line over buildings and everything

but i got to find some articles

you mean spring-heel jack? weeeeell, scotland yard arrested a irish noble who might very well have been said person. he was found not guilty however because he couldnt breathe fire...

Felixaar
2008-08-08, 08:10 PM
Bait: Yeah, true. I originally wanted my honours to be comparing all of the dragon-type creature mythologies around the world. Also I don't know about black dogs in Australia, but we do have a sort of lycanthrope - a Devil Dog, man-dingo, that sleeps under the sand dunes until the call of a certain bird wakes it up. It then feeds on anything and anyone it can find until it is finally injured and driven back under the sand to sleep again.

Really? I hadn't heard of that one. Hmm, this could make a good book...

fraud
2008-08-10, 02:17 PM
I'm quarter Irish.
I never drink a drop.

I'll drink to that...wait a moment:smallconfused::smalltongue: