PDA

View Full Version : The Dreamland Chronicles, by Scott Christian Sava

Occasional Sage
2008-08-06, 11:22 PM
I took pclips' advise from an old thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72894) and started reading this. Is anybody else familiar with it? A Forum search didn't turn up much....

It reads a lot like the the dream sequences in Neil Gaimen's Sandman series. The art is beautiful (not sure what's used to generate it, but it looks very much like a 3-D rendering program) and the characters are perfect for the world and its story.

Does anybody know if the quality is maintained? I'm into Chapter Five currently and feel like I've been wrapped in a cotton candy blanket; I want this to continue! The story is so... innocent and heroic, not at all like what I normally read. This feels like an indulgence, like I'm getting to retreat to my childhood stories of knights and dragons. I'm enthralled and hoping that this keeps going!

Occasional Sage
2008-08-09, 09:55 PM
To answer my own question, now that I'm fully caught up: yes, the quality stays high.

I love that DC is kid-friendly, too. I'd totally buy the hard copy of these for my nephew, to enjoy in a couple of years when he'll appreciate them.

The crisp rendering of the art gives this strip a very clean, bright, direct feel that plays well with the black-and-white nature of the story. Everything plays together very well and is intelligently realized. I'm absolutely hooked.

AstralFire
2008-08-09, 10:36 PM
I've been reading Dreamland for about four months now. It's not the best I've ever read, but I do rather enjoy it and wish I could get more reading it. It is nice to find a regularly updating, plot based comic that isn't convolution upon convolution.

Occasional Sage
2008-08-09, 10:58 PM
I've been reading Dreamland for about four months now. It's not the best I've ever read, but I do rather enjoy it and wish I could get more reading it. It is nice to find a regularly updating, plot based comic that isn't convolution upon convolution.

Yeah, it's not stunningly original or anything like that. It's solid, though, as well as pretty. The nostalgia factor is a plus for me, too.

How often does it actually update? I've been reading for a day now....

AstralFire
2008-08-10, 07:56 AM
Yeah, it's not stunningly original or anything like that. It's solid, though, as well as pretty. The nostalgia factor is a plus for me, too.

How often does it actually update? I've been reading for a day now....

I think it's either every weekday or M-W-F. It doesn't have me on the edge of my seat due to its nature, so I don't make special note of most updates.

Gez
2008-08-10, 11:59 AM
I think it's either every weekday or M-W-F. It doesn't have me on the edge of my seat due to its nature, so I don't make special note of most updates.

MTWTF. It doesn't update on S-days.