PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeves in the Playground

Sneak
2008-08-07, 12:04 AM
Sorry if there is already a thread like this...I can't remember one, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, I have a bunch of different pet peeves.

-I hate the sound of cardboard on cardboard, like when someone opens a cardboard box and the flaps rub against the sides of the box. Grr!

-When people post "u" instead of "you" and other "abbreviations" like that. Also, when people just make blatant spelling mistakes, grammar errors, or typos, and then fail to correct them, it bothers me. In some places, like AIM and Facebook, I don't mind if people don't capitalize anything, but that's as far as I'll go, and anywhere else, even that is pushing it. I realize that some people are just bad at spelling or English is not their native language, and what they have to say is still just as valid...but it just bothers me.

-Yes, it's true, people talking/texting/being obnoxious at the movie theater (or just when I'm trying to concentrate on something) really get on my nerves. Ah, the classics.

-The noise that violin beginners make. 'Nuff said.

-And here's one for the boards: when people make every post in a weird color or font. I know it shouldn't bother me, and it's not really a bad thing at all, but I can't help it. It drives me nuts.

And I'm sure I can think of a lot more if I try.

Anyway...anyone else got any pet peeves?

Coplantor
2008-08-07, 12:24 AM
Well, you are normal, what can I say, I share the same pet peeves as you. It really bothers me when people use things like "u" for you, or "r" for are. And if it bothers me in english try to imagine how much it bothers me in spanish wich is my my native language!

Wierd fonts and colors are like a punch on my face sometimes, but it's something i had to learn to live with. Things like LOL, OMG and the like, that's another thing I hate. And when I'm talking to my friends, I dont like when they use english expresions like: "estaba caminando por el parque y un tipo se me acerca y me pregunta la hora, osea "HELLOOOO"... ¿No ve que no llevo reloj?"

Midnight Son
2008-08-07, 12:31 AM
People who post in pet peeve threads!:smallfurious::smallamused:

I don't have many, but people who think they are entitled to...whatever. A sense of entitlement is just about the worst thing a person can have.

Then there's the idiot drivers. Like today; I was riding to my destination and turned right onto a major road. A half block ahead of me is a car wanting to also turn right onto this road. They honk at me and give me a dirty look as I go by, as if they think I should stop and let them out.

Either that or it was someone I know who just wanted to say hello. Which brings me to my next pet peeve. People who use their car horns for something other than the intended use. If you honk at me, I'm going to think you think there's either something wrong with my vehicle, or you think I'm riding bad. if I can see nothing incorrect, you're likely to get the finger, since I didn't recognize you, as my attention was on making sure you don't hit me, not on you.

coracleboat
2008-08-07, 12:32 AM
Velvet. Touching velvet, watching other people touch velvet, hearing other people touch velvet, it is all horrible. It gives me terrible shivers. It's just such a gross sensation.

DrowVampyre
2008-08-07, 12:33 AM
-When people post "u" instead of "you" and other "abbreviations" like that. Also, when people just make blatant spelling mistakes, grammar errors, or typos, and then fail to correct them, it bothers me. In some places, like AIM and Facebook, I don't mind if people don't capitalize anything, but that's as far as I'll go, and anywhere else, even that is pushing it. I realize that some people are just bad at spelling or English is not their native language, and what they have to say is still just as valid...but it just bothers me.

This, for one. Typos are one thing - everyone makes them, and it's no big deal, especially in real time chat. Intentional misspellings to affect a certain pronunciation are fine, too. But I hate when people do the "u" things otherwise, or if there's not even a semblance of grammar (it doesn't have to be perfect - I'm hardly perfect with grammar myself - but come on, can't we at least try?).

What else...oh, I hate it when someone wants me to help them with something, but instead of coming to get me, they just yell from the other side of the house and want me to come to them to find out what it is. And when they come into my room without knocking, then walk off and leave the door wide open instead of mostly closed like it was when they got to it.

The touch, or even thought of the touch, of paper towel/paper-towel-like-things against my teeth. Makes me shiver in a way fingernails on chalkboard never could...

Shadow
2008-08-07, 12:35 AM
-I hate the sound of cardboard on cardboard, like when someone opens a cardboard box and the flaps rub against the sides of the box. Grr!That sound doesn't bother me.
Neither does "nails on a chalkboard" make me cringe in any way.

The sound that really gets under my skin?
Metal on teeth.
You know, when you bite a pencil's eraser? When you slide your fork through your teeth after taking a bite?
I HATE IT!

It's more the feeling of the metal on my teeth that bothers me, but the sound brings about thought of the feeling, so it's almost as bad....

*cringes at the thought*

*is still shivering and cringing*

Kool-Aid
2008-08-07, 12:39 AM
I hate people who go waaaay out of their way for attention, which is why I despise quite a few people on youtube such as Fred (if you don't know who he is I'm telling you now do not I repeat DO NOT look it up you'll never get that voice out of your head. You have been warned) and Chris Crocker.

I hate girls with really high-pitched voices, especially ones who speak in acronyms (I hate that commercial IDK MY BFF JILL, makes me wanna falcon punch a little girl, so you know it's THAT annoying.) Only thing worse is that exact thing, but with guys.

This made me think of my old teacher, which reminds me, there's also a few words I don't like when said by certain people, pet peeve happens to be one of them, honestly, because I had a teacher who would use it at least 30 times a day. Such as oh my god I can't believe he did that it's a pet peeve SO MANY TIMES.

Edit: almost forgot, forks on a plate.

Copacetic
2008-08-07, 12:42 AM
Those tiny little hooks the dentists use on your teeth. That, and hypocrites.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-08-07, 12:47 AM
That sound doesn't bother me.
Neither does "nails on a chalkboard" make me cringe in any way.

The sound that really gets under my skin?
Metal on teeth.
You know, when you bite a pencil's eraser? When you slide your fork through your teeth after taking a bite?
I HATE IT!

It's more the feeling of the metal on my teeth that bothers me, but the sound brings about thought of the feeling, so it's almost as bad....

*cringes at the thought*
(Weee, I cut it down!)
*is still shivering and cringing*

Agreed. I hate the feeling of a fork or spoon hitting my teeth.
Or people chewing ice.

Shadow
2008-08-07, 12:49 AM
Or people chewing ice.
Win some, lose some.
I chew practically every single cube of ice that ever touches my lips.

I love it!

coracleboat
2008-08-07, 12:55 AM
Those tiny little hooks the dentists use on your teeth. That, and hypocrites.

I love those things. It's the best part of any dentist's visit for me.

Win some, lose some.
I chew practically every single cube of ice that ever touches my lips.

I love it!

I always eat my ice, too. I'm lucky I've never met anyone who was put off by it.

Forks on my teeth only bother me when I notice it. It's just, I can't really eat food without using metal instruments most of the time, so I've learned to tune it out.

Sneak
2008-08-07, 12:55 AM
Those tiny little hooks the dentists use on your teeth.

Oh, man...I hate those things too. The sound coupled with the feeling on your teeth...ugh.

I don't hate the feeling of a fork or spoon hitting my teeth...but I've accidentally chewed on a metal fork before, and that did not feel good.

Erikkin
2008-08-07, 12:57 AM
I hate people who act 'ghetto' or 'gangsta.' Rap music is also a pet peeve. And yet I still play sports. It's an annoying life.

potatocubed
2008-08-07, 12:59 AM
I have about a million of these. The one that springs to mind right now is 'people who come to a grinding halt in the middle of busy thoroughfares'. In Baker Street station, at rush hour, there is exactly one excuse to stop moving and that is if you are dead.

I appreciate that sometimes you need to check a map, or your phone, or whatever. That's fine - just get out of the way first.

SweetLikeLemons
2008-08-07, 01:01 AM
This is a kind of strange and specific one, but I absolutely hate the paper that Subway puts under their subs when they toast them. I can't stand the way it feels, just thinking of it makes me shudder.

I'm afraid that I also eat ice. I know that it really bothers some people, so if someone mentions it I will try to stop. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing it, though.

mangosta71
2008-08-07, 01:03 AM
I realize that some people are just bad at spelling or English is not their native language, and what they have to say is still just as valid...but it just bothers me.

There are a lot of Asian people where I work, and something that I've noticed is that their English tends to be better than that of most native English speakers.

I hate this feeling, too. I even hate the sound when other people do it. I use my lips and tongue to clean my utensils.

Shadow
2008-08-07, 01:12 AM
I hate people who act 'ghetto' or 'gangsta.' Rap music is also a pet peeve. And yet I still play sports. It's an annoying life.
???

I fail to see the connection between these two things.
'I hate rap music, but I play sports...?'
Please explain the correlation.

Dryken
2008-08-07, 01:19 AM
- It really annoys me when I ask how someone is doing and they respond, but don't ask me how I'm doing back. It's common courtesy damn it!

- People who are around my age and type like they're a 14 year old anime character (so its typd like dis omgz! >_> <_< ) just....ew.

- The whole "gangsta" image. I can't help but laugh my butt off at those people. ESPECIALLY if I knew them as a child and saw them develop in to that.

- Women who have no intention of furthering their education and aspire to be a housewife married to a rich man. Just...Grr.

Kool-Aid
2008-08-07, 01:21 AM
I hate people who act 'ghetto' or 'gangsta.' Rap music is also a pet peeve.

Wow I don't know how I forgot this one, it's kind of funny though because guys from my school have tried bringing knives to school near the end of the year you know what happend? Tazers happened. (I was right there, it was pretty funny because I hated the guy, so I started screaming DON'T TAZE HIM BRO!) I think it's a little funny because we're in a suburb in New York, you didn't grow up on the "streets" unless you counted that time you went camping outside with your friends when you were five...

Also, living in New York I see a lot of that crap I can't even go to a school dance without having to hear "crank dat soulja boi" at least 3 times. A funny prank to do next April fools would be to hand out pocket dictionaries to everyone who is having a bit of trouble. :smallbiggrin:

B-Man
2008-08-07, 01:28 AM
I have a few pet peeves. I vaguely recall a thread like this in the distant past, but I think they've stayed relatively constant.

A couple peeves of mine include people not holding doors for others and numbers that are not divisible by 3 or 5. Holding the door for others is common courtesy and should be acted on no matter how busy you might be. I'm not sure how I developed this peeve regarding my not being able to be happy 'til I see a number that is divisible by 3 or 5. Seriously. When I'm reading a book and I see that the pages are numbered, I must finish reading on page number divisible by 3 or 5 or I have to continue reading. It's quite frustrating actually. *twitch*

Shadow
2008-08-07, 01:44 AM
The volume control on the stereo absolutely must be set to an even number. The only exception to this is that the number 5 is acceptable. Stereo, t.v., anything that has a control.

OCD? Yup. That's not my only compulsive quality by any means, but it'll do for now. :smallredface:

CrazedGoblin
2008-08-07, 01:51 AM
I have a few pet peeves. I vaguely recall a thread like this in the distant past, but I think they've stayed relatively constant.

A couple peeves of mine include people not holding doors for others and numbers that are not divisible by 3 or 5. Holding the door for others is common courtesy and should be acted on no matter how busy you might be. I'm not sure how I developed this peeve regarding my not being able to be happy 'til I see a number that is divisible by 3 or 5. Seriously. When I'm reading a book and I see that the pages are numbered, I must finish reading on page number divisible by 3 or 5 or I have to continue reading. It's quite frustrating actually. *twitch*

I always have to stack things in even numbers and it feels really weird to have 3 of something or 7 or any odd number, also when pictures are not straight it annoys me to no ends, one other thing is when teachers are having a go at you and they ask something like "so what did you do that for" and you begin to explain and you get shouted at for "talking back" grrrrrrr:smallfurious:

Morty
2008-08-07, 05:36 AM
-The sound of styrofoam on about everything. I hate it.
-People who use too many ellipses. I don't know why, but I find it hard to treat the post with ellipses ending every sentence seriously.

Calamity
2008-08-07, 05:41 AM
The sound of stryofoam is one of mine too. I absolutely hate it. :smallannoyed:

Also, I can't stand it if someone scratches the bottom of their foot.

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-07, 05:51 AM
So many things...

-Children's shows. Teletubbies, Barney, Dora, you name it. It just doesn't make sense. These shows supposedly teach little kids but seriously, hoe many shrooms do you need to eat before you goddamn backpack starts talking to you?

-Reality TV. While they call it reality, theres nothing real about it. If you want to see a real version of survivor, drop them in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness with nothing but a warm coat and a dead moose, enough with the tropical island crap.

-The word "gay" being used as an insult. Really, it makes no sense. How does one's sexual preference make him or her any better or worse than you or anyone else?

Ilena
2008-08-07, 08:30 AM
I absolutely HATE people who cant follow directions, like at work ... i ask for a product number for a unit, they give me the serial number even though the product number is clearly labled! (or if they ask ... serial number? after i said product number... GAH!)

but ya thats the biggest one there, other then that i can get along with basicly everything else.

(Also, gay accually means weird, or did at least)

Cristo Meyers
2008-08-07, 08:51 AM

Ironically enough, "queer" still means wierd where I grew up.

Major pet peeve: repeating myself, I hate doing it, no matter who it is. If it wasn't important enough for you to listen the first bloody time I'm sure as hell not going to repeat it.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-08-07, 09:14 AM
My pets get peeved when I blow on their faces or trim their claws.

WalkingTarget
2008-08-07, 09:17 AM
A specific problem I have with chatspeak: using "u" and "r" for "you" and "are" are annoying, using "ur" for "you're" is slightly more so, but using "ur" for "your" really, really gets my goat.

Nah, it means "happy, carefree, joyous" (see the end of The Flintstones theme song). You're thinking of "queer" (see the title of Chapter VII of The Hobbit).

I dislike language drift when perfectly cromulent words become semi-taboo due to things like people using them as an insult.

Lyesmith
2008-08-07, 09:20 AM
Eh. The modern uses of "Queer" and "Gay" are classic examples of diachronic variation OH YESSS I'VE BEEN WAITING SO LONG TO USE MY FANCY NEW VOCABULARY

My pet peves are naivete. And really, really oh-my-gods-what-the-hell levels of stupidity.

Oh! And irrational beliefs. The sky is not green, damnit.
OH! And the sound felt tip pens make on paper. Sound just gets under my skin.
There was another one, I think. I'll post them later, or whatever.

Ah! Yes! People deliberately trying to be random and wacky. Stop doing that.
(pEnGuIn oF d00M!! - This is what I am talking about.)

Castaras
2008-08-07, 09:37 AM

Exactly what I was about to post.

Was on another forum which I left quite quickly. Someone said something about "can u hlp me?".

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u130/Castaras/U.png

U doesn't understand your statement. U asks that you rephrase it in English.

>.>

And a random insult being "gay" annoys me also. How exactly can that lesson be homosexual, and why is it a bad thing? Gahh! :smallfurious:

bosssmiley
2008-08-07, 09:41 AM
Well someone had to do it:

http://bunny-comic.com/strips/020205.gif

:smallbiggrin:

Pet peeves:
*Duuuuur* comments (http://www.theonion.com/content/news/local_idiot_to_post_comment_on) and chatspeak/txtspk in general.
Qualifying the word "unique" ("wholly unique", "totally unique", etc.). Something is either unique, or it isn't.
Malapropisms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malapropism) in general. Learn to speak your native language. :smallfurious:
'Lappy' as verbal shorthand for 'laptop'.
The Oxford comma debate.
Weeaboos. Just weeaboos.

Exachix
2008-08-07, 09:43 AM
Well someone had to do it:

http://bunny-comic.com/strips/020205.gif

Damn you! I was going to do that!

Anyway. I *do* have a pet peeve.

I call him Tribble. He's quite silly.

Threeshades
2008-08-07, 10:00 AM
Ah! Yes! People deliberately trying to be random and wacky. Stop doing that.
(pEnGuIn oF d00M!! - This is what I am talking about.)

I like random penguins. But you have to be good at it and not just trying. Its like Yoda said "Do, or do not. There is no try."

Let me think about what I have that you could call a pet peeve...

I hate to be inside a room with an open door. It's like i can feel that thing in my side with all its open-standing.

I also cannot stand "poor language" such as constant typos, chatspeak, bad grammar and so on. That's why i sometimes dont even bother to read posts like that. Even if the writer is dyslexic, Im sorry but I cant stand reading that.

People acting like stereotypes. "Gangstahs" ar the worst kind because their stereotype as it is, is terribly annoying.

People with unusually large muscles just creep me out. If its just intensive workout or steroids. Its creepy and nasty. And they look like sausages left in the microwave oven for too long. Same goes for artificial tans. Graugh!

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-07, 10:10 AM
Hmm, seems to be pretty standard that none of us can stand the whole "gansta" thing. then again they probably can stand furries of D&D nerds.

An Enemy Spy
2008-08-07, 10:10 AM
I also can't stand "gangstas". They intentionally mispell everything, they waer stupid clothes, they don't know how to talk right, and their music(some call it that) is dragging society down.

Also people who walk around with their mouths hanging open

Kool-Aid
2008-08-07, 04:13 PM
So many things...

but seriously, hoe many shrooms do you need to eat before you goddamn backpack starts talking to you?

7 :smallbiggrin:

I'm surprised that other people do the even numbers thing, I do the same thing with the exception of 5 and 6 I hate the number six :smallfurious:

Edit: and yes "gangstas" are very intolerant of people who play d&d, here's an exact quote. "Yo man you play dungeens and dragons isn't that for nerds? No it isn't for nerds it's for geeks, get it straight. I find that the funny part here is that the guy was about four and a half feet tall, and about 50 pounds...

Mr. Mud
2008-08-07, 04:16 PM
LEET SPEAK! I CANNOT STAND LEET SPEAK!!!!

*Actually I named my ferret Peeves just for the infinite possibility of the puns. :smallcool:

CrazedGoblin
2008-08-07, 04:23 PM
LEET SPEAK! I CANNOT STAND LEET SPEAK!!!!

*Actually I named my ferret Peeves just for the infinite possibility of the puns. :smallcool:

I hate that also

Gem Flower
2008-08-07, 04:28 PM
Pet peeves...pet peeves... Oh! Canadians who speak no French whatsoever, and seventh-grade boys who make jokes and references that make us all look bad.:smallannoyed:

Sewer_Bandito
2008-08-07, 04:38 PM
I fly into a homicidal rage whenever someone says they want to "touch base" with me.

Well, it's not that bad but it really does drive me insane.

And a random insult being "gay" annoys me also. How exactly can that lesson be homosexual, and why is it a bad thing? Gahh! :smallfurious:

People were probably saying the same thing when gay stopped meaning happy and started meaning homosexual. The meanings of words change. Now it means stupid or homosexual.

Pocketa
2008-08-07, 04:44 PM
My pet peeve is Glub Glub, the fish of unknown species that they put in the bag at the pet shop by accident, who all of a sudden inflated (like, it looked like he had a tumor) and disappeared one day, and then there were little green worms all over the tank (they looked like bacteria-shaped things, but they couldn't have been bacteria, so I assume they were worms) that killed the rest of the fish, ruined the filter, destroyed the tank, the fake flowers and grasses.

DiabolicalFurby
2008-08-07, 09:26 PM
I'll add two to the pot.

1) The smell of old paper, or to be more precise, dusty old paper. When I grab an old paperback I always leave it open on the desk for a while to let it breathe because I can't stand that smell.

2) People who mimic the accents of those around them. I work in a place that employs a fair amount of immigrant labor and I notice that some of my co-workers, when speaking to hispanic employees, will imitate their accents. I don't know if they are conscience of this or not but it grates on my nerves.

Glawackus
2008-08-07, 09:35 PM
People who get irritated when other people clap at the end of a movie in the theater. Good Lord, live a little.

InABanana
2008-08-08, 12:08 AM
People who's pet peeves are really stupid and people keeping a secret from me.

Jae
2008-08-08, 12:28 AM
when people refer to Africa as a COUNTRY

and my own jealous tendencies. yes, im my own pet peeve.
shut up :smallmad:

Iudex Fatarum
2008-08-08, 01:43 AM
Mine are simple but oddly enough not many have mentioned.
For one, people who refuse to accept the culture they are living in. (for goodness sakes people who immigrate to the US shouldn't try to suppress the culture, same goes doubly for people from the US moving elsewhere)
2, Loud noises. I cannot stand loud noises and despise them.
3, People who break their word. A person's word is their bond, if they break it they sacrifice their own honor.
4, Cats, need I say more?
5, People who make snide comments about housewives. They choose that most of the time. And they are not being lazy they are being selfless, my mother spent about 40-60 hours a week doing research for my education. They have a thankless enough role people don't need to tell them they made a bad choice. It is the same as going up to a doctor and telling them they are idiots for doing that, they should have been a secretary instead.
6, People who ask for definitions of words in written communication (Even IM), DICTIONARIES people most computers have one, if yours doesn't get a nice big one sitting next to your desk.

I am sure I have more but I haven't slept much as of late.
Oddly enough

InABanana
2008-08-08, 01:52 AM
I must agree with you on the last one. I talk to a lot of people who don't understand even the simple words i use.

Agamid
2008-08-08, 09:16 AM
1. chewing with one's mouth open
2. loud breathing
3. the mispronunciation of names and simple words
4. people in shopping centres
5. crowds
6. people who know their right - especially if they get all they know off the internet
7. cars that beep (other than the horn of course)
8. people who use religion as an excuse to mistreat other people, animals or the environment
9. "lol" *shudders*
10. 'ya mum' jokes

... maybe i should just say people...

Atomsized
2008-08-08, 09:30 AM
Well, without getting into precise details, if you knew me in real life then you would half understand some of these peeves...

1: Going out into public (unless I'm with a friend)

2: People who tend to think that they are far more superior than anyone else and using attacks (verbal/nonverbal) and threats to do so.

Castaras
2008-08-08, 09:34 AM
10. 'ya mum' jokes

That's definitely one for my list...

gah...

Jibar
2008-08-08, 09:46 AM
People who change songs mid-way.
If it's only been on for like 15 seconds odd, that's fine.
But when you're halfway into a song and everybody's just got into it, BAM, next song. :smallmad:
Especially 'cos people keep doing this to my songs.

CrazedGoblin
2008-08-08, 09:48 AM
People who change songs mid-way.
If it's only been on for like 15 seconds odd, that's fine.
But when you're halfway into a song and everybody's just got into it, BAM, next song. :smallmad:
Especially 'cos people keep doing this to my songs.

does changing between about five radio stations count? I kind of do that hehe

Shadow
2008-08-08, 09:51 AM
4. people in shopping centres
5. crowds

Pet peeves?
Put these two together and you don't have a pet peeve. You've got entertainment!

Ego Slayer
2008-08-08, 09:52 AM
1. chewing with one's mouth open
2. loud breathing
Seconded. >.<
And slurping of food.
*will strangle someone*
>>
<<

And a random insult being "gay" annoys me also. How exactly can that lesson be homosexual, and why is it a bad thing? Gahh!
Yes, totally hate when people do that. Or "retarded." :smallyuk:

Also, YO MAMA IS ON MAH PET PEEVE LIST. :smallwink:

Destro_Yersul
2008-08-08, 10:02 AM
Although one of the definitions of 'retard', as a verb, means 'to cause to move or proceed slowly'. So progress on foot could be retarded by a large crowd, or progress on dismantling a stack of heavy objects could be retarded by the fact that they're all leaning to the side like they want to fall on you. Though it is usually an insult, and I agree that it shouldn't be.

On another note, I have a huge pet peeve that I can't remember right now. It makes me irrationally angry, but I can't recall it. Must not have happened recently. Not being able to remember things is another pet peeve. *grumbles*

Oh, and a third one.. 'Diet' soft drinks. I despise them. And not for the taste.

Tragic_Comedian
2008-08-08, 10:03 AM
2. loud breathing

You'd hate me then. :smallbiggrin: But I really can't help breathing loud. I get bronchitis and stuff a lot, you know?

Pet Peeves:
The Jonas Brothers: They have no talent. The only reason they are even known is because of the Disney Channel and their giggly girl fandom. There's other annoying things, but I won't linger on the subject.
People who wear shirts for stuff they don't even know what it is: One of my friends had on a 'Killer Rabbit' shirt the other day. I walked up and said, "Hey, Monty Python!" He said,"What's Monty Python?"
People In The 19th Century: Why don't they get with the program? They're called 'automobiles', people. They're much faster than a horse.

tribble
2008-08-08, 10:17 AM
I call him Tribble. He's quite silly.
HEY!
new pet peeve... just kidding.

my pet peeves are when someone expects me to learn something by osmosis. especially when its my mom, who bitches about people doing the same to her with taxes.also, Spanglish. Pick a F*cking language to speak in. If you don't have good English, just talk in Spanish, and vice versa.

Lupy
2008-08-08, 11:48 AM
The sound of paper on paper really gets me. Or my finger nails running down a hard surface. When my parakeet chews on the end of my finger. Those are some of the main ones.

Dihan
2008-08-08, 12:23 PM
I hate it when people mispronounce simple words. For example, one of my friends calls Eladrin "Elderin". No matter how much I correct him he still does it.

I also hate the word "implement". It's a horrible word!

Karaswanton
2008-08-08, 01:00 PM
I hate it when I use the term "retarded" in a pejorative sense, and someone uninvolved gets offended.

They usually make some stupid comment about how it isn't politically correct because retardation is a "debilitating condition." To which I inevitably respond:

"No. It isn't. Retardation is not a condition. The correct term now is "mentally challenged," or at least that's one of the more common ones. The term "retard" is no longer used by the psychological, legal, or scientific communities. It is therefore currently only used correctly when speaking pejoratively---Which I was, but not to you, so butt out."

Also, I commonly call things "gay" or "queer" but only when I'm with my homosexual friends. Because I like bothering them.

-I hate being sweaty
-I prefer things to be divisible by 3,5,or 7.
-I like prime numbers

Drascin
2008-08-08, 01:54 PM
Major pet peeve: repeating myself, I hate doing it, no matter who it is. If it wasn't important enough for you to listen the first bloody time I'm sure as hell not going to repeat it.

Same. I will only bother repeating important things or when they have a valid excuse for not hearing me the first time (such as a loud noise happening).

As well, I find excessively... what's the word in english... too many scruples?... let's say scruply, people extremely irritating. My uncle will not drink from the same glass as anyone else unless the glass is fully cleaned and disinfected first. We don't have AIDS!. And besides, you eat and drink far worse things than the remote posibility of a couple drops of a perfectly healthy human's saliva anyway!

People who repeat what they say. Repeteadly. One time after another, they keep repeating without rest, because they can't help repeating what they just said, as if repetition would be a valid means to force me to remember what they are endessly repeat... OH SHUT UP! :smallfurious:. It doesn't help that I know more than a few people like this.

Also, people listening to things too loudly. When I can hear whatever you're listening to on your earphones perfectly well from the other side of the room, you have them way too loud, man.

WalkingTarget
2008-08-08, 03:40 PM
As well, I find excessively... what's the word in english... too many scruples?... let's say scruply, people extremely irritating. My uncle will not drink from the same glass as anyone else unless the glass is fully cleaned and disinfected first. We don't have AIDS!. And besides, you eat and drink far worse things than the remote posibility of a couple drops of a perfectly healthy human's saliva anyway!

Would fastidious be a better word for what you mean?

InABanana
2008-08-08, 04:08 PM
Another Pet Peeve i have is when you ask a person what there thinking about or writing in there diary about and they respond: "Somebody i am thinking about" or "Something i did last week." And when you ask "who" or "what" they don't tell you.

Agamid
2008-08-09, 02:21 AM
another pet peeve...
when people ask me what i'm thinking or want to know what i'm writing/drawing...
or when people lean over my shoulder to look at what i'm doing. If people put their chin on my shoulder i punch them in the face, but that's more of a reflex as my back and shoulders are super sensitive (can't even stand if someone breathes on them).

Lyinginbedmon
2008-08-09, 06:48 AM
I hate it when people disobey rules that are easy to fulfill, like hanging up a wet towel so that it dries, or not replacing the toilet paper (Yes, most of these are bathroom-related, I live with 2 of the most annoyingly lazy people on the planet). Or not getting milk out of the freezer when the last one is down to a sliver of liquid, etc.

:furious:

Destro_Yersul
2008-08-09, 01:38 PM
I remembered my other one.

Ok, so I work at this grocery store, and when we close the announcer guy says 'it is now 11, and the store is now closing. please bring your final purchases to the front of the store...' and so on and so forth.

I take issue with the use of the word 'purchases' in this context, because they are not purchases until they have been paid for. ANGER.

Sewer_Bandito
2008-08-09, 06:19 PM
Also the phrase "win", "epic win", "fail", and "epic fail" annoy me to no end.

Toil3T
2008-08-10, 05:53 AM
Uh, where to start? I don't have OCD but I am a little obsessive and anal (as in pedantic, I don't mean anything offensive) about certain things. Sorry for the rambling, I'm pretty tired. And grumpy. And peeved off.

[:smallannoyed:]I like numbers that you set to be divisible by 2. Air conditioner temperature, stereo, TV, DVD player and etc. volume, alarm timer, microwave- you probably get the idea.

Here's a big one. If I'm working, concentrating on something I'm doing, I do not want to hear an anecdote or have a conversation. Because I will continue to concentrate on my work, and feel bad about neglecting you. If I am focusing on my work and not procrastinating, then I really want to do it.

Tents. They should be pitched right. I'm a cub scout leader, and I hate when this doesn't happen. On that same note, I hate when untrained people assume they can figure out how to pack a tent up or peg down a guy rope, and that it doesn't matter if you get it wrong.

Chewing with your mouth open. Loudly. And then, if you deny it I'll throttle you.

Poor grammer and spelling unless that language is not your primary one. Using incorrect terminology or terminology incorrectly-> velocity is a vector, Starfleet captains. Failing to understand simple words like "velocity" and "displacement." And 1337 is a number, not a language. "u r gay lol j/k" is very annoying to me, unless used ironically. The only time you should use shorthand is when you are in trouble during a real-time multiplayer game to ask for help or warn a friend of imminent danger. I also dislike people constantly using smileys instead of regular text. One smiley is fine. A dozen in one sentence are not.

Pop music. And playing only pop music at parties. Assuming that everyone likes pop. I will not elaborate further, or I'll start ranting.

Using "nerd" or "geek" as derogatory statements, and not realising that they are terms applied to a subculture of (mostly) intelligent people that can be considered by cool by non-nerds. Especially if you are an annoying fat 13 year old with braces and glasses. (I think I spelled "derogatory" wrong. Apologies.) That happened to me today when I was discussing the new Stargate movie with a friend. And nerd is the common term used by the nerds I know in Adelaide, not geek. I hate the whole east coast American thing where geeks considered are cool and nerds are not. The terms are interchangeable. I accept either being applied to myself, however I normally use nerd.

Idiots. Or people that act dumb to be socially accepted. Knowing that many people

Those who do not clean up after themselves. For crying out loud, don't leave your dishes spread around the house with your discarded socks! Put both where they belong- the socks in an incinerator and the dishes in the sink. Also, put food away when you're done with it. Please.

Those who ignore repeated warnings. If I am grumpy and you keep annoying me, and I keep telling you to leave me alone I will punch you. Or block you.
People who overhype things and then think those that disagree are stupid, gay, etc. Halo 3 is good, but it's not my favourite game.

Gay as a derogatory statement, or mild homophobia. Get over it, many animals are gay. I'm not, but one of my best friends is, and he's introduced me to many normal people who have sexual preferances other than tall, busty, blondes. Come to think of it, that leads to my next one.

Stereotypes for attractiveness. I don't think supermodels, or the actresses/actors and singers that are considered "hot" (Which I hate as applied here) are attractive. The media should get it through their heads that everyone has different opinions. If you think Beyonce is hot, good for you, and I can accept your opinion. I don't. Please accept mine.

I'm colour blind. I dislike people asking if I can tell the difference between an orange and blood. I can- vampires drink blood and humans drink orange juice. :smallbiggrin:
[/:smallannoyed:]

I think that's it. Sorry for the amount of text, I just had to get that off my chest.

EDIT: Assuming all nerds are great with programming. I'm not, I'm doing a course in programming microprocessors, not Java or one of those other arcane scripts. I want to have a career in electronics, not writing OS's or coding computer games or whatever it is programmers do. I just stuffed up the coding in this post and crossed my rant out rather than spoiler-ing it.

Thes Hunter
2008-08-10, 11:10 AM
I try to be a tolerate person. I try to not let others annoy me, because why should I let them have control over my happiness right? So I try to let stuff go. But even then, I have trouble letting go of some things like:

Carrying on a Conversation between restroom stalls of a public restroom. Especially if I am trying to have a quiet 'private' moment in one of those stalls.
People who insist that they know more than I do on a subject that I have a master's degree in, when they do not. Wow that sounds elitist, but if someone has only had high school biology, even if that particular year's worth of biology was entitled 'Evolution', it doesn't mean that person knows as much as I had to learn in my 450 level undergrad class entitled 'Evolution'. Someone thinking that they know as much as I do on a subject when they do not hold an equivalent degree in the same field insults the quality of my education and suggests that everything I learned in pursuit of my graduate degree I could have learned in high school. Also it makes the person come off like a jerk.
As a corollary, people who think they know everything on every topic. (These people are very common in geek communities) The behavior irritates me because it causes conversations to become debate sessions, where the point seems to be more about being right then about actual fact, since neither party tends to have in-depth knowledge on the subject being argued about.
People who care that I don't have a friggin' clue how to use a comma. :smallwink:
People who assume because I have a degree in art (Becoming less common that people even know that since I am a uber science nerd now), but assuming that I have a degree in art means I would be 1) interested in painting a high-quality mural on your kids wall for $150 bucks 2) that I Know anything about decorating 3) That I would be able to do graphic design 4) being able to do anything artistic because I can draw/paint and sculpt. 5) believing that I am an artist. All of those things annoy me. Oh and yeah... if I am painting a landscape painting, and you and your child happen to discover me... no matter how much of a **** up my painting might be, your kid can not have a turn. :smallfurious:
Geese, especially the Canada ones. Right now they only attack me when I am on my bike... but I used to have to fend them off when I was landscape painting as well. In addition to fouling every park they inhabit. So they have earned my ire.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-08-10, 11:28 AM
People that think that everyone else should drive the way they do. Example: just this past week I was quietly driving home from work, going the speed limit, when some fool in some grotesquely huge SUV started tailgating me. Started honking his horn, just being an all around idiot. Eventually, I call the police, and they pull him over for reckless driving and endangerment. That was hilarious.

That is not the main part of the story though. I tell this to some of the people that I work with, and then one of the pipes up and says 'you should have sped up' (okay.. dumb) or the best one 'you should have stomped on your brakes so he would hit you'. Okay... I do not have an SUV and secondly, at the time I had some expensive and uninsured (at the time) stuff in the trunk of my car, that would have been demolished by the nasty SUV. Thirdly, I like my car. What sense would that have made?

The Orange Zergling
2008-08-10, 11:33 AM
-Too many ellipses in posts. It stops looking good after the ninetieth one.
-I obsessively spell check my posts, so naturally it irks me when I see a mere typo that is obviously not going to be fixed somewhere else.
-People who excuse "wat r u doin 2day" with something akin to 'English isn't my first language'. Now, I'm sad to say English is my one and only language, but I can tell that it has more to do with you KNOWING the language but refusing to type it than you not knowing it and doing the best you can. Grr.
-Kinda related to the last one, but people who ask questions without using question marks.
-People who fling around their 'disorders' (real or made up) like it gives them some kind of entitlement or special treatment.
-People who don't say "thank you". :smallfurious:

Mr. Mud
2008-08-10, 11:33 AM
What REALLY annoys me, is when people mistake me for someone who is nice, or cares what they think (:smallwink:)... I feel like wearing a sign that says "Hey, if you keep talking to me, you'll be explaining it all to a very expensive therapist"

(I'm trying to angle for the NEXT Chaotic itp :smallbiggrin:)

But Zerg is right, I HATE when people don't say thank you...

Personally, I think that if you let someone in front of you (while driving a car), and they don't give that stupid little wave thing, it should be legal to get them lose, and put them up a against the wall :smallamused:. (<--- NASCAR moment)

Jack Squat
2008-08-10, 11:34 AM
Tents. They should be pitched right. I'm a cub scout leader, and I hate when this doesn't happen. On that same note, I hate when untrained people assume they can figure out how to pack a tent up or peg down a guy rope, and that it doesn't matter if you get it wrong.

Do cub scouts still use old half shelters?

If so, I really can't see how they get set up wrong. I can more see where it would be a problem with larger/higher end tents.

Ilena
2008-08-11, 07:24 AM
Good on you for calling the cops man, i hate people who tailgate, ive been driving many times and im going around 110 - 120ish, passing people in the slow lane (speed limit is 100), and some fool comes speeding up and slams on his breaks when im clearly not going 150 and im clearly passing people so i wont be moving over THEN proceeds to ride my but trying to make me go faster when i have the cruise control on (computers dont care if you are tailgateing), i mean last night i was being tailgated by 2 bikes ... i was like wtf .. (this was at 11 oclock at night so it was kinda freaky seeing 2 sets of headlights basicly taking up most of the rearview mirror, even though clearly i was blocked from going faster by the car infront (that car was going below the speedlimit to begin with so i would have been going faster) but still ... and the other thing i hate is when you put your blinker on to move over, you have like 5 - 6 car lengths between you and the next car behind and then that car speeds up to try to stop you from moving over and dam near rearends you when you still move over, its like come on why do that? Anyway i hate driving anyway but it feels good to post this :P

Kool-Aid
2008-08-11, 08:09 AM
I can't believe I forgot the Disney one, I despise the Disney channel (I like their movies don't get me wrong, and if it weren't for those I wouldn't have Kingdom Hearts) but the crap they put on is just too much for me, especially since I'm one of the oldest in my family AND I have a 5 year old brother.

If I have to hear one more Jonas Brothers or Hannah Montana song, or more lines from High School Musical 38 (or whatever number they're on now) I'm jumping off the roof. I also hate people who call them the "Joe Bros." we get it, it rymes, and do we REALLY need another High School Musical or another Cheetah Girls movie? EVERY girl in my town, from kindergarten to college has to quote both of those movies endlessly, the word "cheetahlicious" needs to have laws against it...

Everywhere I look it's more Disney Channel, Hannah Montana is everywhere I look, (that girl is going to be the next Britney Spears) and I can't walk down an aisle or a hallways without hearing how hot The "Joe Bros." (ugh) and Zac Effron are. Zac Effron's eyes scare me, it's like they look through me like a doll's eyes.

While I was at work yesterday another bad one happened that I just remembered, I work at a golf course snack bar on Sundays, we serve coffee and donuts, among other breakfast foods and starting at 10 o'clock we serve lunch. We keep coffee tops on the counter where you order, it's about 3 inches away from you, and for some reason nobody could find them yesterday, at least 10-13 people must have asked me where they were. This is weird though because not many people have wanted a top before, but almost everybody wanted one yesterday.

Ashen Lilies
2008-08-11, 09:15 AM
I share a couple couple pet peeves with you guys. (The even number setting one comes to mind.) But my biggest pet peeve is when snotty British types (no offense) feel the need to correct me on my pronunciation or spelling even though they know full well I'm technically correct. Yes, I know I'm spelling 'color' without a 'u', yes I know I'm saying aloominum. Can you please just get over it?!:smallfurious:
Of course, going to a British school, I get this problem way to often.:smallannoyed:

wowy319
2008-08-11, 10:30 AM
* Excessively negative people :smallwink:
* Taking that friend with the obnoxious laugh to watch a movie (good lord, it's like sitting next to Spongebob!)
* When people say "all of the sudden" and/or "alls"

* People assuming that Watchmen will be bad or not even close to the story without looking at anything but the trailer. The production diaries are out right now, and they're setting it in the correct time period. They won't make an issue out of the electric cars, and they're keeping to the sex, blood and moral dillemas. And it's even worse when they use V for Vendetta as a comparison. Zack Snyder is not like the Wachowski Brothers!

* Earwigs. I know they don't lay eggs in you, but I still think they're gross.
* People who don't brake for small animals, even when they're perfectly capable of doing so. It makes me sad. :smallfrown:

Thufir
2008-08-11, 10:46 AM
People misspelling my name (Real name, not forum name, though that also bothers me). It happens with frustrating regularity. Especially annoying when at chess congresses, where not only do I know some of the arbiters personally and expect them to spell my name correctly, I also SPELLED IT CORRECTLY ON MY ENTRY FORM.

mangosta71
2008-08-11, 09:35 PM
Thes Hunter's rant was almost enough to make me post in the crush thread.:smalltongue:

Something that really annoyed me when I was in Santiago was how everyone said "bye, fish!" Sure, "chao, pescado" rhymes in Spanish (at least with Chilean pronunciation), but a) that DOES NOT make it cool, and b) that does not mean it rhymes in English. There was also the English teacher who said to me "I teach you speak good Englich!" Lots of language notes tonight - I was also irritated by the people who were less fluent in Spanish than I was. Come on people, you've been speaking it all your lives; I've only been speaking it for six months. My grammar should not be better than yours.

Getting away from that - people who keep arguing after they've been shown to be wrong. If I know I'm right, and have shown the person more than two sources, they should admit that I know what I'm talking about. After all, if I'm shown to be wrong, I'll admit my mistake and go sit quietly in my corner. I expect the same respect I show everyone else.

Ashen Lilies
2008-08-11, 11:34 PM
People misspelling my name (Real name, not forum name, though that also bothers me). It happens with frustrating regularity. Especially annoying when at chess congresses, where not only do I know some of the arbiters personally and expect them to spell my name correctly, I also SPELLED IT CORRECTLY ON MY ENTRY FORM.

I feel your pain. People insist on spelling my name 'Chris' with a 'Ch'. It's annoying.:smallannoyed:

Phae Nymna
2008-08-12, 01:07 AM
People calling the next day by its name as opposed to just "tomorrow".

Reproduction militaria slipping into original period sections on eBay.

Executor
2008-08-12, 01:35 AM
Nerds
VS Threads
Lord of the Rings
Sci-fi
Hyprocrites
Anyone who can't pick on my sarcasm here :smallwink:

No, honestly my big pet peeves are those people who decide what they want at a place like Subway when they get to the front of the line. :smallmad: ESPECIALLY the ones who spend like 15 minutes on EVERY. SINGLE. DECISION. Urgh! Other people want their food too, jackass!

Oh, and anyone who ever asks "How small is a small?" :smallfurious: God I could just throttle them right there.

mangosta71
2008-08-12, 05:18 PM
People that say "I'm sorry" when you tell them something bad that happened. Those words (to me) are an admission of guilt. If you aren't responsible, why are you apologizing?

Occasional Sage
2008-08-12, 05:26 PM
Crooked pictures. I struggle not to straighten them in other peoples' homes.

Mr. Moon
2008-08-12, 06:24 PM
???

I fail to see the connection between these two things.
'I hate rap music, but I play sports...?'
Please explain the correlation.

A lot of people who play sports are also into the whole "ganstah" thing. Or at lest, that's how it works at my school. Which is funny, 'cause we have about two black people in the entire student body.

So... my pet peves?

For starters, the way my mind keeps repeating thoughts. I might think something and then it'll just go on a loop for about five times for no reason. Bugs the crap out of me.

Another is more deviantArt related - when people who watch me don't ever comment on my work. I geuss I'm an attention whore or something, but for Pete's sake I don't run that account because the dA colour scheme looks pretty!

When my mom asks me to cook dinner when there's nothing in the fridge but milk and eggs and refuses to go shopping so I have anything to cook with, and then gets angry if I don't make anything.

If someone's playing music really quiet. I don't care if it's the worst song I've ever heard, I need to be able to hear it properly. If I can't, it just drives me nuts.

Oh, yeah, and people who don't make an effort to type properly. It takes no effort to hit the shift key when you type. Use it, damn it!

Edit: Oh yeah. I just remembered a new one. When people talk on the phone while I'm watching T.V. I can't hear it over them, and it's rude to drown out everything else while talking about whatever stupid stuff they talk about. Go to another room or shut up, sheeze!

mockingbyrd7
2008-08-12, 10:53 PM
Crappy erasers. My god, it doesn't get any worse. If my pencil eraser doesn't work, WHY AREN'T I USING A PEN?

For starters, the way my mind keeps repeating thoughts. I might think something and then it'll just go on a loop for about five times for no reason. Bugs the crap out of me.
If someone's playing music really quiet. I don't care if it's the worst song I've ever heard, I need to be able to hear it properly. If I can't, it just drives me nuts.
Oh yeah. I just remembered a new one. When people talk on the phone while I'm watching T.V. I can't hear it over them, and it's rude to drown out everything else while talking about whatever stupid stuff they talk about. Go to another room or shut up, sheeze!

I have all three of these. :smallbiggrin:

Durp
2008-08-13, 12:00 AM
I hate it when you say you hate something, and the person you say it to immediately does it.

i hate it when people swish their pencil around on the desk.
i hate it when people scratch their fingernails on fabric.
i hate it even more, when people like, do that disgusting phlegm spit thing, but just have it like drip out of their mouthes, then suck it back in, that almost makes me puke.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Durp
2008-08-13, 12:06 AM
* Excessively negative people :smallwink:
* Taking that friend with the obnoxious laugh to watch a movie (good lord, it's like sitting next to Spongebob!)
* When people say "all of the sudden" and/or "alls"

* People assuming that Watchmen will be bad or not even close to the story without looking at anything but the trailer. The production diaries are out right now, and they're setting it in the correct time period. They won't make an issue out of the electric cars, and they're keeping to the sex, blood and moral dillemas. And it's even worse when they use V for Vendetta as a comparison. Zack Snyder is not like the Wachowski Brothers!

* Earwigs. I know they don't lay eggs in you, but I still think they're gross.
* People who don't brake for small animals, even when they're perfectly capable of doing so. It makes me sad. :smallfrown:

About the watchmen thing, I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE. and earwigs. ewww. And everything else.

Zarrexaij
2008-08-13, 12:15 AM
You know what REALLY annoys me?

Out of key instruments.

It's worse than nails on a chalkboard to me. It's unpleasant, it's grating, and it makes me physically ill. Just.... ugh. It's one thing I absolutely CANNOT stand.

I also can't stand the really airheaded type. You know, people who are so ditsy it makes you wonder if it isn't just some elaborate act to not intimidate people or to be accepted.

Durp
2008-08-13, 12:34 AM
You know what REALLY annoys me?

Out of key instruments.

It's worse than nails on a chalkboard to me. It's unpleasant, it's grating, and it makes me physically ill. Just.... ugh. It's one thing I absolutely CANNOT stand.

I also can't stand the really airheaded type. You know, people who are so ditsy it makes you wonder if it isn't just some elaborate act to not intimidate people or to be accepted.

about the out of key instruments thin? I play guitar, i have for 6 years. yet i have never been able to tell when my guitar is out of tue. unless it's like, BLATENT.

Durp
2008-08-13, 12:35 AM
oops. typos.:smallbiggrin:

Dancing_Zephyr
2008-08-13, 12:55 AM
People who use esoteric words in everyday conversation.:smalltongue:

My brother.

People in my Ultimate league who are very angry, or are rules laywers. Unfortunately every team has at least one. Also, people who cheat. I know that there aren't refs, but really?:smallconfused: (I'm in the 6th division of 7, so it isn't even very good Ultimate.)

Teachers who don't seem to understand their material my S3 (grade 11) English teacher was TERRIBLE for this. Didn't seem to have read McBeth before teaching it to us. (Most of my understanding came from discussions with my friend Will.)

People who get mad about very small things. Calm down, it isn't a big deal.

People who don't leave you alone, even though its obvious that you would prefer to be.:smallfurious:

Gangters. I've played hockey since I was 7. From age 13 until 17 most of my team were "gangtahs", about 2/3.

My sig has a couple.

wowy319
2008-08-13, 03:35 PM
That one guy in every RP who has to play the same character every time. The smart aleck who doesn't listen to the leader, the OMG so dark and mysterious dark wizard, the redeemed villain looking to overcome his dark reputation... no matter what, if I've seen it before, I don't want to see it again, especially not from the same person.

People who have the nerve to be rude to you at a place you invited them to, especially when you've gone out of your way for them.

Example: I planned on taking two friends to the movies. Let's call them "Billy" and "Gonad" Billy and I had our hearts set on Wanted. Gonad asks if they can bring someone. who I'll call "Spongebob," in honor of his irritating laugh.

I'm okay with that, but then Gonard and patrick beg us to go see The Mummy 3. I want to be a good host, so Billy and I reluctantly agree, in spite of god-awful reviews. But, at the theater in line, Gonad acts like a jerk to Billy. The movie ended up being so horrible that Billy and I invited the others to leave the theater and go to the mall. The other two refuse. After Billy and I had fun at the mall, Gonad and Spongebob tell us off for leaving the theater, chastising us for not giving the movie a chance. Suffice to say, Gonad and Spongebob will not be going to the movies with me and the rest of my compatriots anymore if I have a say in it.

Zarrexaij
2008-08-13, 03:38 PM
Apparently the thing I have is considerably rare.

I can't play any instruments, but most of my family can. And, wow, it hurts when there's something not quite right with them.

Jack Squat
2008-08-13, 04:25 PM
I remembered my other one.

Ok, so I work at this grocery store, and when we close the announcer guy says 'it is now 11, and the store is now closing. please bring your final purchases to the front of the store...' and so on and so forth.

I take issue with the use of the word 'purchases' in this context, because they are not purchases until they have been paid for. ANGER.

I figure everyone had more of a problem with the people who decide that they'd rather take an extra half hour to continue shopping...or does that just happen at my store.

I'm glad I don't work Sunday nights anymore.

DrowVampyre
2008-08-14, 03:52 AM
Just thought of another one: use of the word "toon" to mean "character". It never fails to make me grit my teeth when I hear this. A character is a character or, if you're shortening, a charrie or char, perhaps. "Toon" is, at best, a shortening of "cartoon," which would apply to the entire cartoon, not just a character. Bugs Bunny is a character, Daffy Duck is a character, Porky Pig is a character...Looney Tunes is, maybe, a "toon."

The only way "toon" works is if you're a character in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?," in which case you're using a derogatory term for someone who is, to you, another person (just an animated one).

Ceric
2008-08-20, 10:21 PM
The sound of styrofoam against practically anything. Worst is when we take styrofoam take-out food boxes out of brown paper bags, and it rubs against all four sides.

People sniffing constantly, when their nose is running and they don't have any tissue.

People, mostly on tv or radio, who have a grating voice like they should clear their throat and don't. It makes me need to clear my throat, but of course that doesn't change things. (My sister does this too.)

Austran
2008-08-21, 04:49 PM
Surak's ears! One thing that really annoys me is people overshowing (is that right?) their emotions. Don't they have any control?

Evil DM Mark3
2008-08-21, 05:04 PM
People who believe that religious beliefs are incompatible with the scientific world view.
People who cannot distinguish between life expectancy of people in historical times and how old people who got past 5 would expect to live.
A certain Mr Chick
People who confuse parody or satire with being derivative.
Techi-colour chemistry in scientist.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-08-21, 05:05 PM
When people keep insisting I have a cookie problem. :smalltongue:

Aystra
2008-08-21, 06:59 PM
People sniffing constantly, when their nose is running and they don't have any tissue.

Me too! One time I was at a concert and the person next to me kept on sniffingsniffingsniffing. I even offered them a tissue, but they refused. :smallfrown:

Halna LeGavilk
2008-08-21, 09:24 PM
I would have a pet peeve with pet peeves, but I can't, cause then I'd be hypocritical. So I just hate them.

Xhalaran
2008-08-24, 05:10 PM
My pet peeve is squeakers on the internet. You know who I'm talking about: those little kids that have a microphone and a squeaky voice and think it's a good idea to combine the two and make a video with their voice (their horrible, horrible voice) in it, usually shouting loudly into the mic screaming incomprehensible stupidity about how he "pwnzord teh enemy".

Thes Hunter
2008-08-24, 05:19 PM
Ok I remembered a pet peeve of mine. If I am talking about music or a movie I like I can't stand it when people go out of their way to give me their negative opinion of it.

Yes I know it's just them stating their opinion, and it might even be out of surprise that our opinions differ so radically, but I umm... think it sounds dismissive. I know that is as much my problem as it is theirs since I need to learn not to care what other people think.

I just think "You know I like it, so why are you bothering to tell me you don't?"

And here I was just thinking of starting a music blog.... but I might not be able to stand all the people telling me how such and such song reminds them of a poorly done other band. *rolls eyes*

mangosta71
2008-08-24, 05:24 PM
Ah, yes. The people who try to convince me that my opinion is wrong and that I should agree with theirs. Not my fault that they can't see the humor in me beating them over the head with a heavy, blunt object.