PDA

View Full Version : Will plead guilty for food

Renegade Paladin
2008-08-07, 10:42 AM
What the bloody hell? (http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/07/food.guilty.plea.ap/index.html)
Defendant trades murder plea for KFC, pizza

PORTLAND, Oregon (AP) -- A New York man who pleaded guilty to murder in Oregon in exchange for buckets of fried chicken will get calzones and pizza to go with his life sentence.

Tremayne Durham, 33, of New York City, admitted last month that he fatally shot Adam Calbreath, 39, of Gresham, in June 2006. Durham wanted to sell ice cream and ordered an $18,000 truck from an Oregon company. He later changed his mind, but the company wouldn't provide a refund.

The would-be ice cream man came to Oregon and killed Calbreath, a former employee of the company, while looking for its owner, authorities said.

Durham agreed to plead guilty to murder -- but only if he could get a break from jail food. The judge agreed and granted Durham a feast of KFC chicken, Popeye's chicken, mashed potatoes, coleslaw, carrot cake and ice cream.

After Wednesday's sentencing, Durham was to get the rest of the deal -- calzones, lasagna, pizza and ice cream, his defense attorney confirmed. They will pay the tab.

Durham also got married Wednesday in a civil ceremony at the Portland courthouse. The wedding to Vanessa Davis, 48, also of New York City, was not part of the plea deal that will give Durham a chance for parole after 30 years.

Deputy District Attorney Josh Lamborn said Multnomah County Judge Eric Bergstrom made the right call in allowing the unusual plea agreement because it saved the expense of a trial and possible appeals.
:smallconfused:

EndgamerAzari
2008-08-07, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I saw that on CNN. Definitely a 'LOLWUT' moment.

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-07, 10:45 AM
Hmm...30 years in prison with that kind of good food or life outside prison without that food.........tough call.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-08-07, 10:46 AM
Mmm. Food.
If only all murderers were so easily swayed...

Mr. Mud
2008-08-07, 10:46 AM
:eek:

That man is a genius. If he'll be convicted anyways, why not have clean, prison drug free food. Instead of slop that consists of mashed potatoes, cigarette butts, and windshield wiper fluid.

Copacetic
2008-08-07, 10:50 AM
Wow. Just... Wow. I think after 30 years though, he might be a little sick of fried chicken.

Ascension
2008-08-07, 10:55 AM
This is potentially insane. Can you imagine the cost of a life sentence's worth of fast food deliveries? :smalleek:

Jibar
2008-08-07, 10:59 AM
Ya know, he's not getting KFC instead of prison food for 30 years.
It was a one time thing. So he traded a 30 years sentance... for 1 day of nice food.

randman22222
2008-08-07, 11:01 AM
It was a one time thing. So he traded a 30 years sentance... for 1 day of nice food.

Heh, kinda what I was thinking. And I'm not sure 'nice' is quite the word to use.

AKA_Bait
2008-08-07, 11:04 AM
clean, prison drug free[/I] food. Instead of slop that consists of mashed potatoes, cigarette butts, and windshield wiper fluid.

It's also smart in that the state is required to keep to the deal. If they renege, then his guilty plea isn't any good and he might have a civil lawsuit on his hands.

Frankly, if I'm ever in that situation, I'll probably do the exact same thing. mmmm friend chicken....

This is potentially insane. Can you imagine the cost of a life sentence's worth of fast food deliveries? :smalleek:

Meh. It's probably not that much really, especially when compaired to the cost of a trial (with potential appeals) and all the other wasted expenses in our prison system.

Edit:

Oh. Well in that case he's an idiot. He should have at least gone for Peter Luger's or something. :smallwink:

Mr. Mud
2008-08-07, 11:05 AM
Oh... so... He... doesn't...

THAT GUYS IS NUTS! :smallamused:. Well... on 3rd thought... they do have superb biscuits :smallbiggrin:

Moff Chumley
2008-08-07, 12:36 PM
Bat sh*t insane. But then, you have to be pretty crazy to kill someone. :smallconfused:

SurlySeraph
2008-08-07, 12:42 PM
That is SO not worth it.

reorith
2008-08-07, 12:46 PM
Bat sh*t insane. But then, you have to be pretty crazy to kill someone. :smallconfused:

sane people kill other people on a daily basis.

AKA_Bait
2008-08-07, 01:03 PM
sane people kill other people on a daily basis.

Sad but true.

BizzaroStormy
2008-08-07, 01:05 PM
No one is truly sane. Only those completely devoid of emotion and instinct can be sane. Some of us are just less insane than others. Right now due to sleep deprivation and stress from trying to get enough spending money for gencon, I'm about 5 seconds from knocking down my bedroom wall so I'd say im fairly low on the sanity ladder.

Kool-Aid
2008-08-07, 01:20 PM
After I read that article the first thing I thought was "holy crap, you just know some hobo is going to stab somebody for some free KFC."

SurlySeraph
2008-08-07, 01:33 PM
No one is truly sane. Only those completely devoid of emotion and instinct can be sane.

Your primary statement is contradicted by the criteria given in your second statement, citizen. Are you a sense offender? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrium_%28film%29)

Tom_Violence
2008-08-07, 02:24 PM

Yeah, that what I got from it as well. Still though, its only a completely bonkers move if he actually lost anything on it. Sounds to me like he probably wasn't gonna get away with it, so all he did was plead guilty (which he surely would've done anyway, ya?) and managed to get some free grub at the same time.

You know what is crazy though? Killing a bystander over an ice cream truck refund. :smallconfused:

Atomsized
2008-08-07, 03:45 PM
Surprising. The first thing that i thought is that it could be easily taken advantage of, like the Kool-Aid guy said.

After I read that article the first thing I thought was "holy crap, you just know some hobo is going to stab somebody for some free KFC."

de-trick
2008-08-07, 04:58 PM
im thinkin he'll make a chicken leg bone shank,

but yah kind of a stupid thing to do, well at least he is taking his punishment

Don Julio Anejo
2008-08-07, 05:03 PM
No one is truly sane. Only those completely devoid of emotion and instinct can be sane. Some of us are just less insane than others.

Sorry, but no. There has been precedents of people being unable to feel any emotions due to brain damage. They're actually worse off than schizophrenic people. Why? Because they can't make ANY decisions. None. At all. Because all decisions we make are still based on emotion and how we feel about something, no matter how much some people try to think they're being completely logical or rational.

nothingclever
2008-08-07, 05:24 PM
Sorry, but no. There has been precedents of people being unable to feel any emotions due to brain damage. They're actually worse off than schizophrenic people. Why? Because they can't make ANY decisions. None. At all. Because all decisions we make are still based on emotion and how we feel about something, no matter how much some people try to think they're being completely logical or rational.

Well part of the reason we need those emotions to do things is because life is meaningless and they provide a false sense of meaning. A truly sane person would see no reason to exist and admit it since all problems in life end once we cease to exist.

Renegade Paladin
2008-08-07, 07:07 PM
Well part of the reason we need those emotions to do things is because life is meaningless and they provide a false sense of meaning. A truly sane person would see no reason to exist and admit it since all problems in life end once we cease to exist.
Well aren't you all bright and sunny today? :smallyuk:

Nychta
2008-08-07, 10:05 PM
I guess he's insane anyway... but... :smallconfused::smallconfused::smallconfused:

Pandaren
2008-08-07, 10:46 PM
No one is truly sane. Only those completely devoid of emotion and instinct can be sane. Some of us are just less insane than others.

Two words. Not true.

InABanana
2008-08-07, 10:51 PM
Ew! Who would want food like that. Other than the ice cream...and cake...and Popeyes and mashed potatoes and cole slaw...

_Zoot_
2008-08-08, 12:24 AM
.....:smalleek::smallconfused:.....
wtf?!?!?

llamamushroom
2008-08-10, 01:00 AM
Is it just me, or is truth becoming stranger than fiction day by day?

I mean, if this were some soap-opera, this appeal would make no sense, and the writer would be branded as a crazed lunatic, but it actually happens.

thubby
2008-08-10, 01:19 AM
this guy is going to get shanked.

Exeson
2008-08-10, 02:28 AM
Welcome to the 99% my friends.