PDA

View Full Version : The Jail Break

beachhead1973
2008-08-07, 11:43 AM
okay, starting a new DND campaign with the PC's in the literal dungeon following participation in a failed coup.

we have a fighter, a Kobold barbarian/rouge and a cleric/bard, all fourth level.

The cleric has on a set of manacles which prevent any spell casting, the fighter is chained to the wall and the kobold is in full arm and leg manacles.

they are in the fourth floor of a 8-storey-tall tower. it is well guarded enough that they can make it out if they get loose, but will be killed if they try and clear the place out, stay too long or try to free the other prisioners.

They get their food through a slot in the cell and they don't get let out for any reason so far. the only prisoners that get let out, don't come back.

This is a great break from my normal 'starts in a tavern' faire. But how do i actually get them out?

My current scheme is to have someone else, a real brusier, break free and cause a ruckus, during which the PC's will be freed and can get away.

but what are some other ways they could break out. not much in the way of tools or spell casting here, minimal equipment on hand. so this will be an excercise of brains over brawn most likely.

AstralFire
2008-08-07, 11:53 AM
The kobold, if he is crafty enough, could probably bash his manacles slowly over a period of several days to damage them enough to be able to slip free. Assuming the guards don't patrol often, that gives him some time to work on the cleric, and when they do come he can slip them back on.

Once they have freedom to move, that gives them some room. Have the cleric Create Water as much as he can. Unless the cell is completely watertight, the water will eventually start dripping out into the hall, which should raise suspicion. If everyone assumes a position that makes them look innocent when the guards come in, they'll check over the cell and find nothing. If they do this repeatedly, eventually the guards will become used to the ritual and relax when dealing with the prisoners in the mysteriously leaking cell.

Then they crack open his head and escape.

IM@work
2008-08-07, 11:53 AM
No joke, once had a prison escape involving rocket boots gained from an Order of the Stick style deck of many things. Rocket boots out of jail. Do it.

Tadanori Oyama
2008-08-07, 12:09 PM
You shouldn't have a plan at all. Give the players the information and let them figure out how they'll escape. They are the characters, run with them. I mean unless they want to do something totally nutty like chew through the walls.

With my players the barbarian would probably rage and try to break out of his chains, or break the other guys chains. We had something similar to your situation once. In that the Halfling Paladin (who was in restrains but free to move around the cell) got between the Ranger and the wall he'd been chained to and used all his strength to straighten up. Realistically he'd probably just stretch the Ranger's arms (or break them) but I liked the idea so he busted the chains out of the wall.

Just go with your players. After all, they can't play the adventure if they don't get out of the dungeon.

valadil
2008-08-07, 12:27 PM
You shouldn't have a plan at all. Give the players the information and let them figure out how they'll escape. They are the characters, run with them. I mean unless they want to do something totally nutty like chew through the walls.

Word. Actually this is how GMing should work in general. Set up the world and let your players find a way to knock it down. Roll with whatever ideas they throw at you. That doesn't mean you have to let their first attempt work.

Having a planned escape route that's the only way the players can escape jail is the best way to limit creativity and ensure that your players are just catching a ride to wherever you're railroading them. Give them resources and let them be creative with those resources.

Proven_Paradox
2008-08-07, 12:34 PM
I agree with what the posters above are saying, but you shouldn't leave the players high and dry either. Without some guidance, they may well just rot in the cell until you deus-ex-machina something to get them out.

One idea I'd like to throw out there; maybe one of the guards that patrols the dungeon is somehow vaguely sympathetic to the PC's failed cause. Perhaps with enough buttering up, this guard helps them somehow get out.

Don't take doing it for them off the table--depending on your group, that may be what you end up having to do. But first, try giving them some tools and see what they do with them.

AKA_Bait
2008-08-07, 12:47 PM
I agree with what the posters above are saying, but you shouldn't leave the players high and dry either. Without some guidance, they may well just rot in the cell until you deus-ex-machina something to get them out.

Agreed. I'd go with two guards and a standard prisoner procedure.

Guard 1: Vaguely sympathetic to the PC's. His brother was part of the coup, and although he didn't join, and didn't agree with him, when the coup failed (including the death of his brother during prisoner transport to the prison) he began to feel more in line with the rebels.

Guard 2: Really, really lazy. Walks by. Opens the door and then sits down on a stool and relaxes for 20 mins when he's supposed to be checking the cells.

Proceure: Once every 3 or 4 days each prisoner gets their shackels removed (except the cleric who keeps them on but detached from the cell) and is allowed to move around a bit as the guards look them over for signs of escape, disease, or festering wounds. This happens with three guards present for each prisoner. The two above and #3, Mr. Hardass. Obviously, when escape time comes, Mr. Hardass is going to be sleeping with the fishes.

beachhead1973
2008-08-07, 01:21 PM
i think that's all really good advice.

and these guys are really, really good at tearing down and through obstacles like...oh, say; my plans. so i'll leave it to them.

with a little deus ex backup if required.

Treguard
2008-08-07, 01:41 PM
That's the spirit! :smallsmile:

Ned the undead
2008-08-07, 11:56 PM
Try reading the end chapters of Huck Finn for inspiration. :smallwink: