PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Question

kkortekaas
2008-08-07, 06:23 PM
Okay I realize this might not be the proper spot for it, but I figured many of you must know the ins and outs of the starwars timeline.

I just finished the Thrawn Trilogy and picked up the Jedi Academy Trilogy. and I've got some questions regarind the Jedi Academy Trilogy

-=SPOILERS=-

I'm like 14 pages into the book and Luke is mentioning that the Emperor returned briefly and that he served as the Emperor's second in command for a year...which book did this happen in?

I'm looking at the timeline and I can't find any books that occur in between the Thrawn Trilogy and the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

Please help me unravel this mystery.

InkEyes
2008-08-07, 07:33 PM
My money would be on the story occurring in one of the EU comics; try looking for that.

Edit- Yep, it happened in Dark Empire (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Empire).

kkortekaas
2008-08-07, 07:40 PM
son of a ....

LongVin
2008-08-08, 08:30 AM
Isn't it great that the continuity melds and merges with comic books and children's book. So even if you read and memorize all the novels you can still pick up the latest one and be confused about events being mentioned.

Not to mention the massive number of novels that are out there. If you could read a book in 3 days it would take you nearly a year to read every Star Wars novel on the market.

Mando Knight
2008-08-08, 08:43 AM
The proper place to put this would have been in the Media Discussion forum...

I was actually quite pleasantly surprised that Karen Traviss wrote the new Clone Wars movie's novelization. I don't know how the rest of y'all like her, but she's one of my favorite Star Wars writers if only for the work she's done on Mando culture and language.

Kkortekaas, you may want to look Dark Empire up (local library or bookstore may have some of the Star Wars: Dark Empire Omnibuses, which will have several of the issues in one volume), as it contains at least 3 different superweapons (World Devastators, Galaxy Gun, and the two Eclipse SSDs), and covers quite a bit of the post-GCW history.

Also, if you don't mind spoilers, Wookieepedia (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page) is quite a useful unofficial Star Wars database. If you're using Firefox, you might also be able to add it to the search engine toolbar...

Mr. Mud
2008-08-08, 08:47 AM
Isn't it great that the continuity melds and merges with comic books and children's book. So even if you read and memorize all the novels you can still pick up the latest one and be confused about events being mentioned.

Not to mention the massive number of novels that are out there. If you could read a book in 3 days it would take you nearly a year to read every Star Wars novel on the market.

Lucas sold out to corporate america long ago it seems :smallmad:... you need to try and find books that look... well I don't know but they have a distinctive look about them.

-- And Clone Wars movie? animated? :smallfurious:

Tallis
2008-08-08, 09:25 AM
Just a warning: The Jedi Academy books aren't nearly as good as the Thrawn Trilogy, which are the best Star Wars books I've read. Timothy Zahn is by far the best Star Wars writer I've come across. Iheard a rumor at one point that things got so mucked up that Lucas asked him to write a final novel to straighten things out in the SW universe. Of course there have been a lot more books since that, so I don't know how reliable the rumor was.
I can't speak for a lot of the newer stuff though, as I haven't had the opportunity to read much lately.

Nonah_Me
2008-08-08, 02:34 PM
He kind of did. He wrote the Hand of Thrawn Duology, which ends the Bantam line of books (which includes such gems as the Crystal Star *retch*)

Anything after the Hand of Thrawn Duology is generally thought to be good (with the exception of the Dark Nest Trilogy), especially this last series, Legacy of the Force.

TheThan
2008-08-08, 02:40 PM
Yeah, that’s sort of the problem with the Star Wars UA. You sort of have to read EVERYTHING to get the whole story.

Which is partially why I stopped reading starwars books, couldn’t keep up (and it really only takes me about three days to read a book).